Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stryde nail come back date  (Read 3245 times)

1team

Stryde nail come back date
« on: August 30, 2022, 08:58:24 PM »

Word from multiple clinics is not until AT LEAST 2024 maybe even later than that. Looks like Betz and G nail are only options for full weight bearing for a LONG time. Designers of Stryde screwed up bad.

boklecrt

Re: Stryde nail come back date
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2022, 02:23:06 AM »

Word from multiple clinics is not until AT LEAST 2024 maybe even later than that. Looks like Betz and G nail are only options for full weight bearing for a LONG time. Designers of Stryde screwed up bad.

betz nail is pretty good as it is, no point in waiting for some indefinite date in the future for the "stryde return"

also precise on femurs isnt that bad, you get to weight bear pretty soon into consolidation as the majority of patients have small light skeletons and bodies

if youre here in 2022 and obsessing about LL "waiting for stryde return bro!" which can happen in 2025, best to change your mind
5 cm gained through LON Tibia with Quynh in Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam
March 2022
SLAYER

Hatch

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2022, 06:09:27 AM »

How about the synoste nitinail. Its should be weight bear nail. Any idea when it might be available?

interested_stryde

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2022, 07:39:59 AM »

This is very disappointing to hear.

Could you share with us which clinics have confirmed this late release?

Personally, I have E-Mail Paley and Nuvasive and didn't get a response in either case.

Do we even know if Nuvasive is working on re-releasing Stryde or any other weight-bearing nail for that matter?

Siegfried

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2022, 08:14:57 AM »

my guess is 2025/26. stryde itself is not coming, because they are designing a new nail with new tech and new materials. If you take into account the rigorous fda / european fda's regulations, it will probably take another 2-3 years from now. My surgeon also agreed with this.
Unilateral Quadrilateral Lengthening 2021/22 w/ Koehne
Pre-Surgery: 1.67 m
Post-Surgery: 1.76 m
My Story: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=68285.msg221238#msg221238

boklecrt

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2022, 08:25:08 AM »

How about the synoste nitinail. Its should be weight bear nail. Any idea when it might be available?

noone has heard anything about that since like 2018, probably attracted some investment funds, bought lamborghinis and shelved the project

This is very disappointing to hear.

Could you share with us which clinics have confirmed this late release?

Personally, I have E-Mail Paley and Nuvasive and didn't get a response in either case.

Do we even know if Nuvasive is working on re-releasing Stryde or any other weight-bearing nail for that matter?

paley literally said not to wait for stryde and to get precice or other methods currently available but you guys still obsess about stryde

ive written nuvasive and they responded to me “no comment on stryde release date”

the stryde is just the already tried and tested precice with a different alloy

i dont see why guys obsess about stryde - muh weight bearing. you realize you wont be jumping around like a spring chicken dancing the flamenco during lengthening with stryde right? youre still supposed to be VERY CAREFUL and use walker/crutches for everything as a precaution against you injuring yourself, bending the nail, breaking a screw etc which is a self-induced complication thatll cost you dearly to repair

betz bone is currently the good weight bearing nail with which you use crutches during the entire process

precice 2.2 has weight bearing limits which means you’re supposed to take some of the load off with a walker or crutches, but it doesn’t necessarily mean youll be wheelchair mode for 6 months

in the end, have to be realistic, get taller NOW or obsess about your height for an indefinite amount of years until they figure out an alloy replacement for the stryde
March 2022
SLAYER

1team

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2022, 12:14:29 PM »

Trial finishes December 2022. Depends on how the trial went as to when it might be available. That is all I could get from Google if you find out anything share it. My guess is it is going to be a long time for them as well.

Michael J. Assayag, MD

• Limb Lengthening Orthopedic Surgeon from ICLL
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2022, 01:46:07 PM »

Gentlemen,

The current weight bearing nails on the European markets have the same osteolysis problems Stryde had. Their inventors are just not ethical and honest enough to admit it.

As of now Precice is the best implant on the international market hands down.
Dr. Michael J Assayag MD FRCSC
Limb Lengthening and Reconstruction Surgeon
http://www.heightrx.com https://www.limblength.org/conditions/short-stature
massayag@lifebridgehealth.org
IG @bonelengthening

boklecrt

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2022, 04:56:25 PM »

Gentlemen,

The current weight bearing nails on the European markets have the same osteolysis problems Stryde had. Their inventors are just not ethical and honest enough to admit it.

well this osteolysis news is highly concerning for Betz patients, let alone guichet nail patients.

Why is there osteolysis in your opinion if the mechanical nails don't have any fancy alloys and metals in them but straight up stainless steel? Is it stainless steel or titanium?

Precice nails as far as I know have special alloys and rare earth minerals to make the magnetic distraction possible
March 2022
SLAYER

Michael J. Assayag, MD

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2022, 12:46:18 AM »

well this osteolysis news is highly concerning for Betz patients, let alone guichet nail patients.

Why is there osteolysis in your opinion if the mechanical nails don't have any fancy alloys and metals in them but straight up stainless steel? Is it stainless steel or titanium?

Precice nails as far as I know have special alloys and rare earth minerals to make the magnetic distraction possible

it’s the stainless . And the constant motion at the telescopic junction which creates crevice corrosion in the long run .

It’s all mediated by the weight bearing

titanium does not create the same type of crevice corrosion it seems

IG @bonelengthening

keybore

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2022, 03:54:44 AM »

it’s the stainless . And the constant motion at the telescopic junction which creates crevice corrosion in the long run .

It’s all mediated by the weight bearing

titanium does not create the same type of crevice corrosion it seems

Does Fitbone also have corrosion? It is now FDA approved.

If you weight bear only after consolidation, can that also cause osteolysis?

Marie_Bard

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2022, 11:19:39 AM »

Gentlemen,

I am not a gentleman but I will answer Dr Assyag:
I think you are just trying to protect your business here! You wouldn’t say these things if you could use g-nail or Betzbone in the US; the same way you didn’t say anything when you were using  stryde.

Albizzia nail, which is the same material and almost similar design as g-nail and betzbone, was used widely in the 90’s and 00’s in many countries including the USA without any corrosion problems. G-nail has also been used for more than 10 years in the UK and France an Italy and recently Greece by many doctors and not only for cosmetic cases .
Except for Betzbone (not commercialy available- has been always used by Betz only)- Do you really think that all these doctors from all these places in all these years wouldn’t report anything for Albizzia or G-nail if they had noticed something? I don’t think so!

Actually it was the US based inventor of Stryde, who kept his mouth shut despite the fact that he was using the nail (in large numbers nevertheless) one year earlier than anyone else so he had probably noticed the problem earlier than anyone else!
Despite that, in September 2020 Paley wrote:“There have been no issues of bio logical incompatibility with the Biodur 108 alloy stainless steel from which the implant was fabricated.” https://journals.lww.com/techortho/fulltext/2020/09000/stryde_weight_bearing_internal_lengthening_nail.10.aspx

Only a few moths later doctors from Europe  and  the UK came out and reported:
-The STRYDE limb lengthening nail is susceptible to mechanically assisted crevice corrosion: an analysis of 23 retrieved implants - https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34102950/
-Pain, osteolysis, and periosteal reaction are associated with the STRYDE limb lengthening nail: a nationwide cross-sectional study - PubMed https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33757381/
-Analysis of retrieved STRYDE nails https://online.boneandjoint.org.uk/doi/full/10.1302/2633-1462.28.BJO-2021-0126
These doctors altogether did less cases than what Paley did in the first year of Stryde in the market when it was available only to him!

How does this sound about inventor’s “Ethics” and “ Honesty”?
UK and EU authorities shut down Stryde while the FDA was just looking away.
I am from Brazil, but I have come to believe that the UK and Europe are much more honest and regulated than the US these days!

wanderer

• Visitor
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2022, 02:12:54 PM »

I think you are just trying to protect your business here! You wouldn’t say these things if you could use g-nail or Betzbone in the US; the same way you didn’t say anything when you were using  stryde.

Albizzia nail, which is the same material and almost similar design as g-nail and betzbone, was used widely in the 90’s and 00’s in many countries including the USA without any corrosion problems. G-nail has also been used for more than 10 years in the UK and France an Italy and recently Greece by many doctors and not only for cosmetic cases .
Except for Betzbone (not commercialy available- has been always used by Betz only)- Do you really think that all these doctors from all these places in all these years wouldn’t report anything for Albizzia or G-nail if they had noticed something? I don’t think so!

Actually it was the US based inventor of Stryde, who kept his mouth shut despite the fact that he was using the nail (in large numbers nevertheless) one year earlier than anyone else so he had probably noticed the problem earlier than anyone else!
Despite that, in September 2020 Paley wrote:“There have been no issues of bio logical incompatibility with the Biodur 108 alloy stainless steel from which the implant was fabricated.” https://journals.lww.com/techortho/fulltext/2020/09000/stryde_weight_bearing_internal_lengthening_nail.10.aspx

-The STRYDE limb lengthening nail is susceptible to mechanically assisted crevice corrosion: an analysis of 23 retrieved implants - https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34102950/
-Pain, osteolysis, and periosteal reaction are associated with the STRYDE limb lengthening nail: a nationwide cross-sectional study - PubMed https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33757381/
-Analysis of retrieved STRYDE nails https://online.boneandjoint.org.uk/doi/full/10.1302/2633-1462.28.BJO-2021-0126
These doctors altogether did less cases than what Paley did in the first year of Stryde in the market when it was available only to him!

I am from Brazil, but I have come to believe that the UK and Europe are much more honest and regulated than the US these days!

Only TWO doctors use Guichet nail right? And one of them started recently. You mentioned France, Italy, UK, Greece. This is because those 2 doctors used it in all those countries, isn't it?

If the doctors don't report problems, I don't think regulators can find out easily (unless patients complain). With Stryde, so many doctors around the world were using it, so someone reported it.

Even Fitbone is used by many doctors in Europe.

Marie_Bard

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2022, 03:25:35 PM »

Only TWO doctors use Guichet nail right? And one of them started recently. You mentioned France, Italy, UK, Greece. This is because those 2 doctors used it in all those countries, isn't it?

If the doctors don't report problems, I don't think regulators can find out easily (unless patients complain). With Stryde, so many doctors around the world were using it, so someone reported it.

Even Fitbone is used by many doctors in Europe.

No, wrong!...Other doctors in France and Italy have been also using g-nails, and not only for cosmetic cases, it is not just Giuchet or Giotikas recently. Some nails have also been used in Germany in the past.
I agree that Stryde had a more wide use than these nails, so the corrosion problem was publicized within one year since it entered Europe!(it was already used for 2 years in the US- the inventor and biggest user never reported anything!).
In the UK and other european countries things are not like in the US, there are established national public health systems there (like NHS and others) which, among other things, receive the "  jobs" of the private hospitals. Do you really believe that a repeated corrosion problem with albizzia and its derivatives could have gone unnoticed in the last 30 years? I don't. The studies i quated earleir in the links come from such hospitals.

wanderer

• Visitor
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2022, 03:38:26 PM »

No, wrong!...Other doctors in France and Italy have been also using g-nails, and not only for cosmetic cases, it is not just Giuchet or Giotikas recently. Some nails have also been used in Germany in the past.
I agree that Stryde had a more wide use than these nails, so the corrosion problem was publicized within one year since it entered Europe!(it was already used for 2 years in the US- the inventor and biggest user never reported anything!).
In the UK and other european countries things are not like in the US, there are established national public health systems there (like NHS and others) which, among other things, receive the "  jobs" of the private hospitals. Do you really believe that a repeated corrosion problem with albizzia and its derivatives could have gone unnoticed in the last 30 years? I don't. The studies i quated earleir in the links come from such hospitals.

Which other doctor has used Gnail? Can you provide some proof?

Michael J. Assayag, MD

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2022, 07:13:53 PM »

Muito Bom! ;)

Let’s not be hypocritical Marie. If you want to start quoting research, you will have noticed that the body of scientific peer reviewed littérature for Precice lengthening nails (and its redhead stepchild Stryde) is vast and extensive.

The peer reviewed literature for Alibizzia is lacking, and G-nail and betzbone virtually non existent.

Don’t get me wrong, I am glad that Stryde is off the market, and would not skip a beat if no weight bearing implant saw light on the north american market for the next decade. They’re mostly just a marketting tool.

All research agrees: PRECICE  is, and remains for now, the studied gold-standard, most versatile and best implant on the market.
IG @bonelengthening

1team

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2022, 11:15:19 PM »

Muito Bom! ;)

Let’s not be hypocritical Marie. If you want to start quoting research, you will have noticed that the body of scientific peer reviewed littérature for Precice lengthening nails (and its redhead stepchild Stryde) is vast and extensive.

The peer reviewed literature for Alibizzia is lacking, and G-nail and betzbone virtually non existent.

Don’t get me wrong, I am glad that Stryde is off the market, and would not skip a beat if no weight bearing implant saw light on the north american market for the next decade. They’re mostly just a marketting tool.

All research agrees: PRECICE  is, and remains for now, the studied gold-standard, most versatile and best implant on the market.

Could you expand on how weight bearing nails are mostly just a marketing tool?

boklecrt

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2022, 02:01:46 AM »

Could you expand on how weight bearing nails are mostly just a marketing tool?

if you do your research you'd find that weight bearing or non weight bearing the difference in patient care and use of assistive devices is almost identical throughout the entire process

i.e. you still need to use assistive devices - wheelchair, crutches and walkers, to minimize the potential for patient induced complications such as bent nail, bent screw, broken screw, falling down etc etc

guys out there thinking they just need to wait 4 more years for muh stryde and gonna pay 70-100k for limb lengthening with "a fully weight bearing nail" and imagine themselves having a grand ole time at the company party rocking out on the dancefloor 3 weeks after the surgery are in for a reality check
March 2022
SLAYER

shortisnotfun

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2022, 02:04:50 AM »

if you do your research you'd find that weight bearing or non weight bearing the difference in patient care and use of assistive devices is almost identical throughout the entire process

i.e. you still need to use assistive devices - wheelchair, crutches and walkers, to minimize the potential for patient induced complications such as bent nail, bent screw, broken screw, falling down etc etc

guys out there thinking they just need to wait 4 more years for muh stryde and gonna pay 70-100k for limb lengthening with "a fully weight bearing nail" and imagine themselves having a grand ole time at the company party rocking out on the dancefloor 3 weeks after the surgery are in for a reality check

Interesting. You're saying the added weight bearing of Stryde nail has no impact on recovery? My understanding is that it would speed up recovery after lengthening is complete, but during lengthening you would still need the same necessary precautions as Precice.
My story of how Yuksel Yurttas crippled me:

http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=85804.0

boklecrt

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2022, 02:29:10 AM »

Interesting. You're saying the added weight bearing of Stryde nail has no impact on recovery? My understanding is that it would speed up recovery after lengthening is complete, but during lengthening you would still need the same necessary precautions as Precice.

one month faster recovery on an 7-9 month recovery time scale = meh

source
March 2022
SLAYER

Infinite

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2022, 07:54:37 PM »

Muito Bom! ;)

Hi Dr, Michael J. Assayag,
We are delighted to finally have a doctor who responds to the patients on this forum, it is greatly appreciated!

As a result of NuVasive, LLC surgeries in the US and in the world were returned back 11 years, and all the doctors followed suit like sheep after the decree was decision.
If you put your patients on a walker/wheelchair for half a year, you're not doing them a good service.

I want you to imagine yourself in such a situation for six months and decide if it's feasible.

Just a few months ago, they began working on the new nail. When they pulled the Stryde nail off the market a year and a half ago, why didn't they start working immediately on the new nail?

They wasted a whole year for nothing!

The only way to change things would be to give them an ultimatum that by 01.01.2023, they have to release the new nail. Otherwise, all doctors will stop using Precice 2.2 and move on to G-Nail.

They should feel that doctors have power over them, not the other way around.

We believe in you!

informationispower

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2022, 10:27:34 PM »

We are delighted to finally have a doctor who responds to the patients on this forum, it is greatly appreciated!

As a result of NuVasive, LLC surgeries in the US and in the world were returned back 11 years, and all the doctors followed suit like sheep after the decree was decision.
If you put your patients on a walker/wheelchair for half a year, you're not doing them a good service.

I want you to imagine yourself in such a situation for six months and decide if it's feasible.

Just a few months ago, they began working on the new nail. When they pulled the Stryde nail off the market a year and a half ago, why didn't they start working immediately on the new nail?

The only way to change things would be to give them an ultimatum that by 01.01.2023, they have to release the new nail. Otherwise, all doctors will stop using Precice 2.2 and move on to G-Nail.

We believe in you!

Lol what a nutjob

Infinite

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2022, 09:27:13 PM »

Lol what a nutjob

Are you referring to the incidents that have occurred for the past year and a half or the fact that I am a nutjob?

1team

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2022, 01:30:55 AM »

We believe in you!

Nuvasive would have wanted to see if they could salvage the Stryde in its original form rather than an expensive redesign. I agree with you that there should have been planning just in case it didn't work as minimum 2 years without a motor driven full weight bearing nails is a long time.

Would have been way better if synoste could have had their nail out by now to take advantage but given how it took them 4 years to get a 2 year study completed I think they missed that opportunity as nuvasive will have a new nail out by the time synoste gets going.

Infinite

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2022, 07:46:56 PM »

Nuvasive would have wanted to see if they could salvage the Stryde in its original form rather than an expensive redesign. I agree with you that there should have been planning just in case it didn't work as minimum 2 years without a motor driven full weight bearing nails is a long time.

Would have been way better if synoste could have had their nail out by now to take advantage but given how it took them 4 years to get a 2 year study completed I think they missed that opportunity as nuvasive will have a new nail out by the time synoste gets going.

You right!

Is the Nitinail expected to hit the market soon?

1team

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2022, 01:04:10 AM »

You right!

It is not expected to hit the market soon.

Michael J. Assayag, MD

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2022, 02:38:31 AM »

You right!

likely never
IG @bonelengthening

4cm

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2022, 12:31:28 PM »

Dear Dr. J.Assayag,

Is it true one staged limb lengthening reduces the risk of fat embolism by two?
Pages: [1]   Go Up