Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Should I be concerned? (See One, Do One, Teach One)  (Read 393 times)

UncleE

• Visitor
Should I be concerned? (See One, Do One, Teach One)
« on: February 20, 2019, 03:37:09 PM »

I'm 52 and have a 3.8CM Length Discrepancy on my Left Leg due to motorcycle accidents when I was around 16-17.  I'm in discussions w/ a local (US) surgeon to have the Precise Nail/Stryde surgery performed.

My concerns:
1. I'm being told this is Out Patient Surgery (23hrs post-op observation and them I go home).
 - From my research, I was expecting AT LEAST a 2 -3 day In Patient Hospital Stay. Initial PT, Pain Management and Observation.

2. I was contacted telling me my Insurance has approved the 'Out Patient' surgery and when would I like to schedule the surgery.
 - No consult past the 15 min initial office visit where I was told about the Precise Nail.
 - There has been no discussion regarding post-op care (PT, Stretching, Pain, Follow-Up Appts, Home Care requirements, etc..)

Am I missing something? Should I be concerned about the apparent lack of experience dealing with this type of surgery and/or patient care?

myloginacc

Re: Should I be concerned? (See One, Do One, Teach One)
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 06:01:04 PM »

Hey, UncleE.

I think it is a bit concerning. Is there any reason why you couldn't pick Dr. Rozbruch or Paley? Insurance should cover your surgery, since you're not doing it for cosmetic reasons.

With that said, fixation (external and internal) are tools of any modern orthopedic surgeon. I trust that the quality of care in the US should be good enough even if you're not going with the most experienced ones in the area of distraction osteogenesis. It is indeed concerning, however, how they're apparently dismissing PT, pain management, etc; most specially how they also want to discharge you out of the hospital so soon. Not even Stryde patients get discharged the day after the surgery, from what I've seen. I wonder if they understand you're not simply placing a trauma nail, but lengthening your shorter leg.

I'd also recommend sending any questions and concerns you might have to Dr. Paley at dpaley at paleyinstitute dot org. This could possibly help assuage any fears you might have, or get better orientation on how to handle your case within the framework of the US healthcare system(s). I'm not American, a doctor, or a veteran of this surgery, so, as always, try to be the most informed possible, and don't take online medical advice to heart.
Formerly myloginacct; had issues with my login account.
Yes I do want to add, before doing this surgery, ask yourself if you have optimized your life to the fullest extent possible (job/career, personality, etc).

myloginacc

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 02:42:52 AM »

Could any vet provide additional opinions?
Formerly myloginacct; had issues with my login account.
Yes I do want to add, before doing this surgery, ask yourself if you have optimized your life to the fullest extent possible (job/career, personality, etc).

UncleE

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 05:19:59 PM »

Could any vet provide additional opinions?
Thanks @myloginacc, I would definitely appreciate hearing from someone with any first-hand experience!
Pages: [1]   Go Up