Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it hard to be alone during LL?  (Read 801 times)

jem_semarc

Is it hard to be alone during LL?
« on: May 25, 2020, 01:49:55 PM »

How hard was it to be alone for 3 to 4 months during LL?

I’m thinking of staying alone during the procedure (of course I’ll have a nurse with me for the first 2 weeks) but after that, I’ll be doing it alone. I haven’t told anyone but even if I did ask family/friends, they would be too busy at work which is completely understandable.

Does being alone really make things difficult? What sort of mental effect does it have on a person?

I see some of you have said that staying indoors alone had some sort of mental effect, but were you not able to go out to the park, supermarket or for a walk when you felt down?

Just want to prepare myself for the mental side of things.

Stryde on Femurs in Jan/2021 with Dr. Giotikas - currently @ 5 ft 5, goal height 5 ft 8.

10cmOnTibiaOrGTFO

Re: Is it hard to be alone during LL?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 02:31:01 PM »

dude thats really hard to answer. every human being is a bit different. there are people that cannot
stand being alone for the sake of god and fall apart rather quickly.
there are people that can cope quite well with loneliness and arrange themselves
with it.

on a sidenote: if you are unable to move you have to have someone to assist you.
how are u gonna prepare food? go to the supermarket? what if you cant get up to take
a crap? imo you should stay in the country where you are undergoing surgery until you
reach consolidation phase and are capable to walk with crutches at least.

Heyitsme

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 08:09:23 PM »

Honestly maybe not do it alone? I can't really answer your question from experience as I have not yet undergone this surgery. However I do intend to do it. I was going to do it alone but as I feel I can mentally cope but honestly I think its just more comfortable to do it with someone going through the same process as you.

BetzLandLiberator

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 01:18:53 AM »

How hard was it to be alone for 3 to 4 months during LL?

I’m thinking of staying alone during the procedure (of course I’ll have a nurse with me for the first 2 weeks) but after that, I’ll be doing it alone. I haven’t told anyone but even if I did ask family/friends, they would be too busy at work which is completely understandable.

Does being alone really make things difficult? What sort of mental effect does it have on a person?

I see some of you have said that staying indoors alone had some sort of mental effect, but were you not able to go out to the park, supermarket or for a walk when you felt down?

Just want to prepare myself for the mental side of things.

I have no idea because when I did my LL in Germany I stayed in a hotel (Park Hotel) with other LL patients. At one point there was like 10 of us, it was like being back at a college dorm. We would have lunch and dinner together, go to the gym together, walk in the park, etc...I actually had a lot of fun there (LL pain notwithstanding).

I'd guess that it would be depressing (in the medical term) to do it all alone and maybe dangerous.

But it seems the Stryde patients start walking alone pretty faster, so maybe you could resume your daily life faster than what it took me with Betzbone if you go with one of the Stryde doctors.

marathonrunner

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 03:49:46 AM »

I did the surgery away from the country I was working in and I went there alone and stayed 2 weeks there alone. Luckily where I stayed they had wheel chairs and a facility that was suitable for wheel chair patients.

But after I went back to the country I worked in and back to the condo I stayed at it was super difficult cause my condo isn't suited for these kinds of situations and plus my condo is a duplex which doesn't help. So I had to get my gf to live with me. So being alone 3-4 months.. I don't know as for me it was only 2 weeks.

It's doable if your place has a facility for these kinds of situations and there is easy access to food delivery. But I wouldn't do it alone again.

Even if you went to Paley I do know there are people who rent out rooms for LL patients. This Chinese guy I met did LL at Paley and he stayed with other people who were doing LL in like a 4 bed room apartment with all the meals prepared and transportation arranged. It wasn't cheap but he was among friends which helps.

jem_semarc

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 10:08:42 PM »

This sounds like a good way to get through the pain of LL! Did you know them in advance via these forums or did you just meet them there?
Stryde on Femurs in Jan/2021 with Dr. Giotikas - currently @ 5 ft 5, goal height 5 ft 8.

marathonrunner

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2020, 05:46:25 PM »

Actually the guy pm’ed me cause he was asking about the LL doctor that I originally went to and I told him not a good idea so he ended up going to Paley.

But we stayed friends since then kinda lost touch now, last I spoke he was working in Sg. I’m not sure about other people but from China it seems like they have groups for everything. So he found a girl who started renting rooms specifically for Paley patients and they provided everything from food to transport. But I think everyone there was chinese though..

I’m sure there must be other people doing it. Where there’s demand there’s usually people to fill that demand. Sorry I can’t help much more but I hope you don’t end up doing it alone. It’s doable but it sucks.

harris88

• Visitor
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2020, 06:53:52 PM »

There are usually some people in Homewood suites doing this at a time, so you won't be completely alone in that sense. Some people prefer to not interact with others or are with their own family, but you might find someone else like you to hang out with by the pool side or in your room. Otherwise Angelique might still be able to put you in touch with someone.
Pages: [1]   Go Up