Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Example proportions after LL  (Read 8004 times)

AtlasSearching

• Visitor
Example proportions after LL
« on: November 03, 2014, 04:58:59 AM »

Please Read It is important NOT to extrapolate the images below to other contexts. When it comes to LL, no two people are the same. Everyone starts with variations in femur to tibia ratio,  leg to torso ratio, wingspan to height ratio, etc. As such, the images below should NOT be taken as a recommendation nor should they be used to determine what amount of LL anyone else should consider.

Greek-Semidget asked about my proportions, walking and sitting after my LL procedure. A picture speaks a thousand words so I figured I'd just post some pics. Some background info:

• Starting height 173.5cm
  • Starting wingspan 183cm (unusual)
  • Final heigh 184cm after 10.5 cm LL on Femurs
  • Initial surgery August 2012
  • Nail removal October 2014
  • Before LL, my femur to tibia ratio was almost 1:1, which is not common

Some other info

• After completing lengthening, it took 14 months to achieve bone consolidation. However, with the 13mm internal nail, I was able to walk without crutches 3 months after completing lengthening. Still used a walking stick in crowded areas and uneven surfaces for about 6 months.
  • Took 12 months for hyperlordosis to retreat to where I could walk with the same gait as before LL. However, ITP bands and Knee flexion/extension was back to normal about 3-4 months post lengthening
  • Work in an office and seat for long hours. No issues there, but I avoided seating for long for the first year since seating makes hyperlordosis harder to get rid of
  • Didn't try to run until 1.5 years post lengthening. Even then, just did a light jog. I can run fine now after nails were removed.

My femurs are now definitely longer than my tibias, but I knew that would be the case and its a compromise I was willing to make. In my day to day life, I have yet to meet anyone who noticed anything odd with regard to proportions, even acquintances who give me a once over trying to figure out how I gained that much height. Its unlikely that I'll do LL on my tibias. One helping was enough for me.

Once again It is important NOT to extrapolate the images below to other contexts. When it comes to LL, no two people are the same. Everyone starts with variations in femur to tibia ratio,  leg to torso ratio, wingspan to height ratio, etc. As such, the images below should NOT be taken as a recommendation nor should they be used to determine what amount of LL anyone else should consider. Having said that, best of luck to those of you who decide to take on LL.

173.5cm to 184 cm with Dr. Betz in 2012
13mm BetzBone
Nail removal in October 2014

MAN-OF-STEEL

• It's not an S
Re: Example proportions after LL
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 01:13:36 PM »

Wow good job man
Also, you make convincing arguments against the usual pretenders

All the best

Moubgf

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 01:16:23 PM »

dont care you got a 6'0 wingspand which is monkey donkey.

Not a single person on this forum got a 6'0 wingspan thus can not relate to your story or your thread in general.

All i see is a guy flaunting his luck in the wingspand department nothing else. But thats just phaggoty me.

coppkillr

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 06:52:14 PM »

Hello

What exact femur tibia ratio did you have and what is it now?

Do you think 0.73 will be visible?
banned for blatantly lying that "pro betz diaries are deleted and Blocked often."    wrong,  Pro-Betz diaries are not deleted or blocked here, ever.

Uppland

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 10:03:29 PM »

Thanks for sharing man you make alot of good points and your information on recovery is very enlightening. It seems your proportions look very natural, congratulations.

Could you perhaps give us your arm lenght from the end of your middle finger to the acrimion bone?
I've been slightly obsessed with various arm lenght-to-height ratios lately because I'm worried my arms will look short.

Would you say your recovery was especially good compared to other patients?
It's just that 10,5CM in one surgery is alot and could perhaps prove very stressful to the soft tissue in the leg.

GeTs

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 10:14:40 PM »

u lucky, if u do tibia u'll look even better

AtlasSearching

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 02:31:44 AM »

What exact femur tibia ratio did you have and what is it now?
Do you think 0.73 will be visible?

I could ask the doc for my exact femur to tibia ratio, but I don't recall the exact figure offhead. The measurement is done via Xray when you go in for the initial consultation, and that was more than 2 years ago. After the nail removal surgery, they only do Xrays for the femur so the only way to get the post LL ratio is to extrapolate from the pre LL measurements.

As for 0.73, I really can't speak on any other scenario other than my own. However, this is something to discuss when you consult with the LL doctors. Based on my experience the doctor will take all your measurements (femur, tibia, wingspan, torso) and then discuss what is feasible.

Could you perhaps give us your arm lenght from the end of your middle finger to the acrimion bone?
I've been slightly obsessed with various arm lenght-to-height ratios lately because I'm worried my arms will look short.

I've measured it at ~30 inches (76.2cm), but again, this should only be taken in context of the other measurements.

Would you say your recovery was especially good compared to other patients?
It's just that 10,5CM in one surgery is alot and could perhaps prove very stressful to the soft tissue in the leg.

I don't think my recovery was better than other femur patients e.g. I know other patients who were able to run before I could. IT bands & Knee Flexion/Extension recovered within 3 months post surgery but hip flexor release was really really slow, so I had to contend with "duck ass" for a very long time. I caution against reading too much into the experience of any one LL'er. For all the other LL'ers I knew during the period, the only constant was the variation. Some fared better with some aspects such as clicking, and others fared better in other aspect such as physio. Even those who lengthened the same amount on the same section had varying experiences.

You are right about 10.5cm being alot, even for my starting height of 173cm, which is why in my initial post I emphasize that I'm not making any recommendations. My initial target was 10cm, but I convinced myself to add 0.5cm for a final height of 184cm.

u lucky, if u do tibia u'll look even better

I highly doubt that I could work up the patience and stamina to do LL again. Aside from the cost, even something like 2 inches on tibia would entail another 1.5 - 2 year commitment. I also think that beyond a certain point, any extra height has diminishing returns. Lastly, adding more length to my legs would further exacerbate the upper body (torso) to lower body ratio since there is no way to change torso length.
13mm BetzBone

Uppland

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 12:42:02 PM »

Thanks, I understand you live in northern europe like me. How do feel about your new heigh, was it all worth it?

• Proportionā˜¤Nazi
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, 01:13:11 PM »

I wonder how does your proportions stack up when you're semi/fully nked, You look proportionate on the pictures, But i can't imagine someone going 10cm+ especially on one segment and be complication free and well proportionate. No matter of your starting proportions, I would like to see more angles of your proportions. I don't think that you'r wingspan is "unusual". Wingspan is not an good measurement for ALL people, It dosen't take into account people's shoulder width (which can vary quite a bit)

1. How often do you see people about your height with similar sitting heights?
2. What size are you'r clothes?
3. Can you do sit-up's/squats?
4. What's your current inseam?
5. What's your current SHR?
Height: 177cm / Wingspan: 193cm
Sitting height: 94-95cm / current SHR: 53.7% /
Hand length: 21.5cm / Handbreadth: 10cm
Arm lenght (middle finger to acromion bone) : 85cm   | Ground to crotch: 85cm | Inseam: 80cm
Tibia:43cm / Femur:42

Greek-Semidget

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2014, 01:18:14 PM »

You are awesome man! And you look great after all that amount! Thanks for the response
Current height 5'8 Future height: 5'11 . 3 inch gain tibias in Russia.

AtlasSearching

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2014, 10:14:44 PM »

Thanks, I understand you live in northern europe like me. How do feel about your new heigh, was it all worth it?

I live in US, not Northern Europe. I am very satisfied with my new height, and I think the most significant indicator of that is that I don't think much about my height any more. Prior to the surgery, I was constantly conscious about my height especially in public. So in my view, it was definitely worth it despite the expense and difficulty involved. Prior to the surgery I was aware of and accepted that there would have to be some compromises i.e. you can't expect to retain 100% of your prior athletic ability and neither will your proportions be the same. These compromises are part of the price that you have to pay for doing LL. Having said that, 2 years after the surgery, I'm back to doing the activities I used to do, including running, and my proportions don't bother me at all. There are some people for whom the issue of post LL athletic ability and proportions is a major concern, so in that case you either forego having the surgery or you do just the amount that you are confortable with. Either way, each person has to decide what compromises they are willing to accept.
13mm BetzBone

t204304

• Visitor
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2015, 09:17:25 AM »

hi, Atlas
What is your age?
Pages: [1]   Go Up