Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Disadvantages of being short vs advantages of being tall  (Read 1563 times)

wants2growtaller

Disadvantages of being short vs advantages of being tall
« on: October 14, 2018, 08:12:34 PM »

Disadvantages of being short

~. Treated with less respect
~ Not being taken seriously
~ Treated as if you are less than
~ FOr short men..less dating options
~ Makes significantly less money
~ Seen as inferior in society
! Seen as physically weak
Less friends

Advantages of being tall
` More dating options
Treated with more respect
Seen as superior
Makes significantly more money
Seen as physically strong
Better social life
Some of us may have ''grown'' in stature. But it seems the majority of us have yet to grow in humanity

ThatGuy

Re: Disadvantages of being short vs advantages of being tall
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 09:00:41 PM »

Please be more honest, write the pros/cons on both sides and list things that actually only affect one or the other. Proper dichotomies pl0x.

wants2growtaller

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 09:13:50 PM »

How is this dishonest. It is well documented that being short is a social disadvantage. And being tall is a social advantage.
Some of us may have ''grown'' in stature. But it seems the majority of us have yet to grow in humanity

ThatGuy

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 09:16:21 PM »

I'm just saying you need to list the pros and cons for both sides if you don't do that its pretty dishonest.

wants2growtaller

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 09:17:34 PM »

Why dont you tell me does the benefits of being short in this world..outweights the benefits of being tall in this world?

ThatGuy

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2018, 10:07:45 PM »

All of this is assuming you aren't 2-3 deviations below or above the norm and male
(For short people)
Pros -
Its easier for shorter people to fill out their frames if they're lifting
Save money on clothing
Look younger(Its negative now, but when you're 30-40+ it might be worth)
Cons -
Less respect
Struggle to reach things
Often underestimated
(For tall people)
Pros -
More respect
Better power lifter
Easier to reach things
Cons
Harder to find clothes
Harder to fill in frame if lifting
Easier to hit head on things
I only did 3 for each because I'm pretty lazy, and I didn't wanna be redundant with my points.

wants2growtaller

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2018, 10:09:47 PM »

I wasnt trying to do pros and cons on both sides. It was to say how shortness is seen as something negative. And your list just proves that. Personally I dont have a problem with being short but its a social stigma being short. So thats why im doing CLL because i hate having to deal with daily discrimination.

ThatGuy

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2018, 10:26:44 PM »

Sorry, let me rephrase this, half the stuff I've listed isn't that big of a deal for women or they already deal with regardless(EG. less respect/lifting stuff/already struggle to reach things because average height for women in the US is 5'4), my bad. How tall are you?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 10:52:53 PM by ThatGuy »

wants2growtaller

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2018, 10:59:04 PM »

Im a short woman and heightism is the reason why I am risking my life to do CLL. My height has always been a barrier to my success. I have a hard time keeping jobs. I would often do extremely well over my taller counter parts but im always the first person to get fired or laid off. I have been fired over eight times and laid off three times. Whenver I deal with professionals whther it be a social worker, a doctor..an employer they dont treat me with the same respect. I usually have to advocate really hard to be respect and not be screwed over and usually I am screwed over. I have tried to keep housing etc. Even though i paid my bills on times etc. It still wasnt good enough for landlords. I have only one boyfriend. And after awhile i would get emotionally abuse and bullied by his friends. My short stature is the reason why people have continuously disrespected me,, disregard me. And i hate when short men say that short women have it eaiser. We do not. I think the only way short women have it eaiser is in online dating. But all other aspect I have it pretty hard.

wants2growtaller

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2018, 11:01:22 PM »

Im also a minrotiy ANd im short. SO yes the oppression I suffer is twice. Because from my race I am seen as inferior. Women are also seen as inferior. And short people are seen as inferior. I would rather have short people unite to fight height prejudice. But it doesnt seem to be the case.

wants2growtaller

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2018, 11:03:34 PM »

If heightism only negatively impacted my dating life then I wouldnt go with this procedure. Its because its a barrier and I face daily discrimination where I cant even get my basic needs met. I live with my parents and they are the ones supporting me as well as social assistance. And its not because i cant or dont want to work but success is determined first by how we look and then our personalities. A person needs both to succeed.

ThatGuy

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2018, 11:12:30 PM »

I wasn't saying women can't experience heightism, I just think a lot of the things I've listed women don't care for or they already experience regardless of height. You still haven't told me your height.

Jim_dabarber

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2018, 11:12:51 PM »

How short are you?
165 cm pre LL / 174 cm after undergoing 4cm on tibias and 5cm on femurs, Cross-Lengthening with Dr. Kulesh and Dr. Solomin / http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=5016.0

wants2growtaller

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2018, 11:14:13 PM »

Short enough to know that heightism is real. ANd short enough to know the social benefits I will gain once i am my desired height. My deisred height is to be five feet six female.

wants2growtaller

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2018, 11:19:47 PM »

I personally think people who do CLL to get more sex is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. My dating life is non existence and Im a short woman. this myth that short women have it easier in life or dating is sexist. Heightism affects everyone. And the more a person belongs to more minority groups the worse their shortness will impact them. I dont care about my non existence sex life. What I care about is my daily interactions with people. I want to succeed but i know that shortness is veiwed as inferiority. So I have to get rid of it to succeed.

ThatGuy

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2018, 11:23:16 PM »

I personally think people who do CLL to get more sxx is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. My dating life is non existence and Im a short woman. this myth that short women have it easier in life or dating is sxxist. Heightism affects everyone. And the more a person belongs to more minority groups the worse their shortness will impact them. I dont care about my non existence sxx life. What I care about is my daily interactions with people. I want to succeed but i know that shortness is veiwed as inferiority. So I have to get rid of it to succeed.
sxx is very important for men the easier it is to get some the better. Personally I'm doing it to reach the 90th percentile and go all in on body building.

wants2growtaller

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2018, 11:26:31 PM »

Sex is not a need. its a want. Being treated with respect. Being able to keep a job. Getting your own home..are needs. Men have been conditioned to be more sexul adventurous and women have been conditioned to be more sexual restrained. Thus thats why women often times have more self control when it comes to sex. A man or a woman can survive without sex. But not being able to provide for yourself and relying on safety needs like parents or social assistance is worse.

Jim_dabarber

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2018, 11:30:10 PM »

Short enough to know that heightism is real. ANd short enough to know the social benefits I will gain once i am my desired height. My deisred height is to be five feet six female.

Heightism is real but that should not let it determine your pay, respect, or amount of friends you have. Especially for a woman. I know plenty of woman who are 4’11 to 5’2 who are doing extremeley well in everything you mentioned that is a disadvantage in being short. Im sorry but to me it just feels like your trying to find something to blame all your troubles on. This surgery will not make all those things better. If anything it will help people feel better about themselves physically. Your dilusional if you think otherwise. 
165 cm pre LL / 174 cm after undergoing 4cm on tibias and 5cm on femurs, Cross-Lengthening with Dr. Kulesh and Dr. Solomin / http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=5016.0

wants2growtaller

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2018, 11:34:37 PM »

Im not trying to blame my troubles. But Im short and im a person of color. So  I am a greaterdisadvantage. Like you said heightism is very real. Its not a joke. And lots of people on these height board keep bringing up the subject. Pleast stop blaming victims of discrimination and oppression. Its not our fault that we are the receving end of social injustice. Its reality. And yes I have done what I could to fight heightism..to find solutions to overcome this issue. But heightism.. lookism are the LAST forms of oppression in our society. Its a HUGe problem. But its often trvialized. Its ignored and not taken seriously.

wants2growtaller

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2018, 11:37:30 PM »

All of us are here because we know that being taller will have more of a positive impact on our lives than our current height. So please bsing me with that ra ra crap. Its unrealistic. If so why are there thousands of people on here willing to put themselves on iharms ways to be taller. ANd its not only on this forum.. every height forum..online talks about the social consequences of being short and the social positive of being tall. Its a problem.

Body Builder

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2018, 12:20:34 AM »

Disadvantages of being short

~. Treated with less respect
~ Not being taken seriously
~ Treated as if you are less than
~ FOr short men..less dating options
~ Makes significantly less money
~ Seen as inferior in society
! Seen as physically weak
Less friends

Advantages of being tall
` More dating options
Treated with more respect
Seen as superior
Makes significantly more money
Seen as physically strong
Better social life
For women as you, the only con is not taking you very seriously and not geting much respect and maybe less money on work.
Nothing else.

Dating is easy (maybe more than tall women, not average though) and as social life gemerally, has to do with your character and your overall appearance.
So if you are not less than 5-5.1 ft you are exagerating a lot about the cons.

Women don't face heightism, they are judged for much about their appearamce but not for their heights and no man will reject a short woman who is good looking for her height.
But the opposite happens the majority of times even if the man is good looking as most of women can't accept a short man.

wants2growtaller

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2018, 12:40:42 AM »

lol..sexist remark.

extremis

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2018, 03:48:23 AM »

lol..sxxist remark.

What exactly was "sxxist" about what he said? This entire statement:

Dating is easy (maybe more than tall women, not average though) and as social life gemerally, has to do with your character and your overall appearance.
So if you are not less than 5-5.1 ft you are exagerating a lot about the cons.

Women don't face heightism, they are judged for much about their appearamce but not for their heights and no man will reject a short woman who is good looking for her height.

Is supported by scientific evidence. Short women do not face the same discrimination, mockery, humiliation, or all-around oppression as short men do. The reason why is that humans are a sxxually dimorphic species and short stature is a feminine trait (in mammals, females of the species are almost ubiquitously smaller than males; this is the case with humans).

When a man is short, he is considered to have broken an unspoken sociocultural norm derived from an evolutionary axiom - namely, that men are supposed to be large, at least as large as the other men around them. This is why heightist offenses, such as insulting remarks, physical aggression, and other forms of attacks against short men tend to become more frequent and more intense the shorter a man is.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1691114/

Abstract
Recent studies have shown that, in contemporary populations, tall men have greater reproductive success than shorter men. This appears to be due to their greater ability to attract mates. To our knowledge, no comparable results have yet been reported for women. This study used data from Britain's National Child Development Study to examine the life histories of a nationally representative group of women. Height was weakly but significantly related to reproductive success. The relationship was U-shaped, with deficits at the extremes of height. This pattern was largely due to poor health among extremely tall and extremely short women. However, the maximum reproductive success was found below the mean height for women. Thus, selection appears to be sxxually disruptive in this population, favouring tall men and short women. Over evolutionary time, such a situation tends to maintain sxxual dimorphism. Men do not use stature as a positive mate-choice criterion as women do. It is argued that there is good evolutionary reason for this, because men are orientated towards cues of fertility, and female height, being positively related to age of sxxual maturity, is not such a cue.

While this other statement by him:

For women as you, the only con is not taking you very seriously and not geting much respect and maybe less money on work.
Nothing else.

is also supported by scientific evidence

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9438783

Abstract
The use of (costly) growth hormone (GH) treatment in short children is often justified by the assumption that short stature considerably reduces quality of life in adults. We tested this assumption in 5 groups of short adults: 25 patients with isolated GH deficiency; 17 male patients with childhood onset renal failure; 25 women with Turner syndrome and 26 patients who were presented as a child to a paediatrician for idiopathic short stature. A group of 44 short individuals with presumably idiopathic short stature, who had not been presented to a paediatrician for short stature, was sampled from the general population ('normal shorts'). We measured quality of life in terms of socio-economic variables, the Nottingham Health Profile and time trade-off. The mean height of most groups was close to the 3rd percentile. The chance of having a partner was low for all groups, except for the normal shorts. Problems with job application were only reported in Turner syndrome. The scores on the Nottingham Health Profile were all within the normal range, but GH-deficient adults had a higher score on the domain energy than normal shorts. Women with Turner syndrome, individuals with renal failure, and those with idiopathic short stature had a wish to be taller, with an estimated reduction in quality of life of 2-4% (time trade-off). As the normal shorts did not show any sign of a reduced quality of life, we falsify the assumption of a direct relation between short stature and quality of life. The complaints of patients with idiopathic short stature around the 3rd percentile seem to be the result of unsuccessful coping strategies.

That is, when it comes to women, the only ones who reported dissatisfaction with their lives or a reduction in their overall quality of life were the women who had been "presented to a pediatrician for short stature", i.e. they were taken to a doctor to examine why they were so short, whereas the short women who were NOT taken a doctor were perfectly fine and reported absolutely no problems with their lives. So it's much more reasonable to conclude that statistically speaking, it's more likely for women who develop height neurosis to develop it out of purely narcissistic self-image problems rather than sociocultural discrimination in the form of physical or emotional bullying/oppression.

Additionally, short men are TWICE as likely to commit suicide as men of average or tall stature:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/height-and-suicide/

Swedish researchers say short men may have a higher risk of suicide.
"We found a twofold higher risk of suicide in short men than tall men," they write in the American Journal of Psychiatry.

The men were followed for an average of 15 years. During that time, they had 3,075 suicides.

"Taller men had a much lower risk of suicide than shorter men," write the researchers.

They only focused on suicide risk among men aged 18-49. The results can't be applied to older men or to women, write the researchers.

No such correlation (between stature and suicide rate) exists for women. How can that be, if women have it "just as bad" as short men on average?

Could it be that women are just psychologically stronger than men on average and are therefore better able to cope with heightist bullying and oppression? No, because studies show that women attempt suicide more often than men (though they're less likely to actually kill themselves):

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3539603/

Suicide is an important public health problem worldwide, especially due to an increasing rate of suicides committed by violent methods. This study compared and assessed the methods used in suicide attempts (but no completed suicides) as undertaken by men and women and investigated the possible role of gender in the selection of suicide method.

[...]

The study results indicate that women as a group more frequently attempted suicide rather than actually committing it, whereas men were more likely to complete suicides and choose more violent suicide methods; thus, women are the “attempters” and “survivors” of suicide attempts.

And you can bet than if hordes of women were attempting suicide over their height in our gynocentric world, we'd have global multi-billion dollar anti-heightism campaigns fighting to end heightism with the same fervor that LGBT lobbies fight for transgender acceptance.

So the simple answer is, short women, on average, just don't have the problems short men do in life. Men are not rejecting or stigmatizing women for being short because it's not considered an indicator of genetic inferiority for women. You aren't getting lambasted by hordes of people (mostly women, specifically black women, which in a hilarious twist you claim to be) on Twitter calling for the genocide of short men (see Heightism Exposed twitter page).

Overall, I hate to break it to you, but if you're having bad experiences in the dating world and otherwise, your ethnic phenotype (again, I assume you're a black woman, if I recall correctly you said you were) is almost certainly the culprit, NOT your height. It's not exactly a secret that Black women are very heavily stereotyped as being masculine, aggressive/belligerent, uneducated, trashy, etc in society. So-called "Black features" (dark skin, large, flared nostrils, curly hair, etc) are considered physically unattractive as well as well, so if you have these features, that's also a pretty likely reason why you've had bad experiences. Note that none of this is intended to cast aspersions on you; it's only an enumeration of common sociocultural beliefs held by society at large.

I'll be frank. I have no doubt that there does exist some limited subset of women who have suffered height-based discrimination to a similar extent that some particular short man has. Maybe you are one of those women, though I HIGHLY doubt this; you're much more likely a histrionic playing up mild teasing about your height for attention. But to say that in GENERAL short women suffer to the same degree as short men is simply incorrect. That kind of assertion is more akin to sxxism ("me too-ism") than what Body Builder said.

wants2growtaller

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2018, 03:51:04 AM »

Im a short black woman and I face so much oppression because im a woman, short and a person of color. I have talked to other short women and they experience the same things. Personally I go with life expereeicnes from myself and others. If there are other people going through the same things then there is something to be addressed. Just ask in forums like r/short and other height boards and ask short women the  prejudice they face. They do face it. And denying it is sexism.

Mzacr

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2018, 04:37:24 PM »

Damm. You only read what you want don't you? Stop making   up with that victim mentality. All the short problems you think you have are worse for a short male. So stop hiding between the sexist card and accept that you don't have it that bad.

Body Builder

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2018, 05:00:07 PM »

Im a short black woman and I face so much oppression because im a woman, short and a person of color. I have talked to other short women and they experience the same things. Personally I go with life expereeicnes from myself and others. If there are other people going through the same things then there is something to be addressed. Just ask in forums like r/short and other height boards and ask short women the  prejudice they face. They do face it. And denying it is sxxism.
The real sexists are women who don't accept men for something that they can't control, like height.
They discriminate much more than men who they are strict about obese women but obesity is something that it could be fixed 99% of the times.

Also, being black and short as a man is hundred times worse as being short and black as a woman. From surveys, black women tend to be even more superficial about height requirements to men than white wonen.

So there is nothing more sexist in the western societies than the height discrimination that men face. No woman face  the same discrimination in anything that can't be changed.

wants2growtaller

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2018, 06:40:06 PM »

No its not. We still live in a very patriarchal society. So how can being a woman be easier than a man..thats impossible.

YellowSpike

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2018, 07:49:11 PM »

What exactly was "sxxist" about what he said? This entire statement:

Is supported by scientific evidence. Short women do not face the same discrimination, mockery, humiliation, or all-around oppression as short men do. The reason why is that humans are a sxxually dimorphic species and short stature is a feminine trait (in mammals, females of the species are almost ubiquitously smaller than males; this is the case with humans).

When a man is short, he is considered to have broken an unspoken sociocultural norm derived from an evolutionary axiom - namely, that men are supposed to be large, at least as large as the other men around them. This is why heightist offenses, such as insulting remarks, physical aggression, and other forms of attacks against short men tend to become more frequent and more intense the shorter a man is.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1691114/

While this other statement by him:

is also supported by scientific evidence

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9438783

That is, when it comes to women, the only ones who reported dissatisfaction with their lives or a reduction in their overall quality of life were the women who had been "presented to a pediatrician for short stature", i.e. they were taken to a doctor to examine why they were so short, whereas the short women who were NOT taken a doctor were perfectly fine and reported absolutely no problems with their lives. So it's much more reasonable to conclude that statistically speaking, it's more likely for women who develop height neurosis to develop it out of purely narcissistic self-image problems rather than sociocultural discrimination in the form of physical or emotional bullying/oppression.

Additionally, short men are TWICE as likely to commit suicide as men of average or tall stature:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/height-and-suicide/

No such correlation (between stature and suicide rate) exists for women. How can that be, if women have it "just as bad" as short men on average?

Could it be that women are just psychologically stronger than men on average and are therefore better able to cope with heightist bullying and oppression? No, because studies show that women attempt suicide more often than men (though they're less likely to actually kill themselves):

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3539603/

And you can bet than if hordes of women were attempting suicide over their height in our gynocentric world, we'd have global multi-billion dollar anti-heightism campaigns fighting to end heightism with the same fervor that LGBT lobbies fight for transgender acceptance.

So the simple answer is, short women, on average, just don't have the problems short men do in life. Men are not rejecting or stigmatizing women for being short because it's not considered an indicator of genetic inferiority for women. You aren't getting lambasted by hordes of people (mostly women, specifically black women, which in a hilarious twist you claim to be) on Twitter calling for the genocide of short men (see Heightism Exposed twitter page).

Overall, I hate to break it to you, but if you're having bad experiences in the dating world and otherwise, your ethnic phenotype (again, I assume you're a black woman, if I recall correctly you said you were) is almost certainly the culprit, NOT your height. It's not exactly a secret that Black women are very heavily stereotyped as being masculine, aggressive/belligerent, uneducated, trashy, etc in society. So-called "Black features" (dark skin, large, flared nostrils, curly hair, etc) are considered physically unattractive as well as well, so if you have these features, that's also a pretty likely reason why you've had bad experiences. Note that none of this is intended to cast aspersions on you; it's only an enumeration of common sociocultural beliefs held by society at large.

I'll be frank. I have no doubt that there does exist some limited subset of women who have suffered height-based discrimination to a similar extent that some particular short man has. Maybe you are one of those women, though I HIGHLY doubt this; you're much more likely a histrionic playing up mild teasing about your height for attention. But to say that in GENERAL short women suffer to the same degree as short men is simply incorrect. That kind of assertion is more akin to sxxism ("me too-ism") than what Body Builder said.

Totally agree. Short women definitely do NOT face the same discrimination that short men do. Being a black woman is hard in the dating world, yes, but that’s an entirely separate topic (even if you happen to be both short and a black female - two different issues entirely).

wants2growtaller

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2018, 07:55:11 PM »

How canyou speak on behalf of all short women. You are a short man. You can only speak of onyour experiences as a short man. But you cant speak for a short woman. And im hear to tell you that as a short woman who is also a person of color I experience a lot of discrimination. So are you denying my experiences? If so how canyou..when you don't know me.

YellowSpike

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2018, 08:23:59 PM »

How canyou speak on behalf of all short women. You are a short man. You can only speak of onyour experiences as a short man. But you cant speak for a short woman. And im hear to tell you that as a short woman who is also a person of color I experience a lot of discrimination. So are you denying my experiences? If so how canyou..when you don't know me.

I’m not denying your experiences at all. I have no doubt that you’ve faced discrimation for being a woman of color and also for being short. But what I and others on here are saying is that a) being a woman of color and being a short woman are two entirely separate issues and b) no matter what you or any other short woman says - being a short man is 1000x worse than being a short woman. Period. End of story.

wants2growtaller

« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2018, 08:39:36 PM »

hmm  its not like I can separate being a woman and color and being short. It comes as a one package. Just like you cant separate being short and being a man. I think what  you are referring to is intersectional discrimination. ANd yes I have experience intersectional discrimination for being a short woman of color. And im sure that there other short women who do experience discrimination. But I don't think its a fair assessment to say that NO short woman or its not as bad when YOU are not a short woman.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up