Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Age limit for limb lengthening  (Read 1061 times)

Thehighest

Age limit for limb lengthening
« on: July 18, 2021, 08:55:16 PM »

Which is the maximum age you can have this surgery without risking yourself too much becuase of delayed consolidation or even no union?

Jokerhastowait2022

Re: Age limit for limb lengthening
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2021, 08:58:42 PM »

I've seen people getting this surgery in their sixties and end up being OK. Having said that, they usually require BMAC injections for enhancing bone formation. The general consensus seems to be below 45 for men and below 40 for women.

ilovescience

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2021, 09:09:22 PM »

I've seen people getting this surgery in their sixties and end up being OK. Having said that, they usually require BMAC injections for enhancing bone formation. The general consensus seems to be below 45 for men and below 40 for women.

Is it possible that age limit for LL becomes a thing of the past once they have fully mastered this surgery and get better understanding of bone healing? Maybe in the future people of all ages can do LL without any risk?

Jokerhastowait2022

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2021, 09:45:43 PM »

I don't think so. This type of surgery has been around for a long time and everything to it is pretty much documented. The limiting factor of bone formation isn't related to the surgical technique itself, rather the biological capacity of a younger individual to make better bone improves the odds of a successful recovery.

Worzezterlire

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2021, 04:19:25 AM »

Pre-30s is the ideal time to do it, and above that the risk level goes up exponentially… that is, it’s still low in the 30s but then goes up a lot in the 40s and even more in the 50s etc.

Vast majority of CLL patients I met are young, under 30.

inchesmatter

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2021, 07:09:35 AM »

I doubt it goes up exponentially in the 40s and 50s.

Growing

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2021, 08:45:06 AM »

Pre-30s is the ideal time to do it, and above that the risk level goes up exponentially… that is, it’s still low in the 30s but then goes up a lot in the 40s and even more in the 50s etc.

Vast majority of CLL patients I met are young, under 30.

im 34 and feel I can handle the surgery just as much as a 20 year old. It's usually people under 30 that think you are elderly as soon as that 3 goes before your age lol. I'm 34 and still consider myself young and in my prime. I'm a guy if that info matters.

Worzezterlire

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2021, 03:17:12 PM »

im 34 and feel I can handle the surgery just as much as a 20 year old. It's usually people under 30 that think you are elderly as soon as that 3 goes before your age lol. I'm 34 and still consider myself young and in my prime. I'm a guy if that info matters.

I’m happy you feel that way, but surgeons do consider a huge difference between a 20-something and a 30-something.  Lower healing capability, for men lower testosterone and other hormones as the man ages, and higher chance of dangerous trauma.  The difference isn’t large but around 30-something is where the risk curve begins to trend upwards at the exponential rate.  A 24 year old will on average recover significantly easier than a 34 year old.   Both are young enough that they can undergo the operation without major concern.  But a 25-and-under patient is a surgeon’s dream.

California2

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2021, 04:12:29 PM »

There is no age limit.  I lengthened 9 cm at age 56 and did just fine.  Others lengthen at age 20 and have troubles. 

Like everything, there are pros and cons.  Older folks may be more patient and disciplined which can improve outcome.  Older folks may also heal less quickly (which might be good in terms of pre-consolidation or might be bad in terms of encountering a problem like infection).

You probably know that the best time to plant a tree was ten years ago.  The second best time is today.  In general, younger is better.  However, generalities are far less important than the condition of the specific patient undergoing treatment--and, you cannot make yourself any younger.

If you are worried about non-union, most reputable surgeons break your bone on Day 1; however, you do not start distraction until Day 7-10.  This is done to ensure your bones begin to knit before you start pulling them apart and create a bigger problem.

Talk in-depth with your surgeon to determine whether you are a good candidate.

ppericc

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2021, 05:29:48 AM »

I’m happy you feel that way, but surgeons do consider a huge difference between a 20-something and a 30-something.  Lower healing capability, for men lower testosterone and other hormones as the man ages, and higher chance of dangerous trauma.  The difference isn’t large but around 30-something is where the risk curve begins to trend upwards at the exponential rate.  A 24 year old will on average recover significantly easier than a 34 year old.   Both are young enough that they can undergo the operation without major concern.  But a 25-and-under patient is a surgeon’s dream.

Why are you spreading negativity and trying to bring us (men in their 30s) down?
Testosterone doesn't drop with age (or barely any), but because of a lifestyle:
https://www.reddit.com/r/science/comments/akdcos/age_doesnt_determine_mens_testosterone_levels/
Bones are strongest at about 30-35.
At 30-35 men are physically in their peak and you talk about us like we are in our 80s, risk doesn't grow exponentially in your 30s and healing is still fast because it is a young age, lifespan is 85 years and not 50, 30s are young and basically a peak age for men.

You are probably in your 20s, so why are you trying to demoralize us and not to demoralize yourself? You basically only wrote bad about our age group and good about your own age group, very selfish.

+ Attachments and other options--
Verification:

AimHigh

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2021, 06:49:55 AM »

I dont think pure testosterone is the answer, eg my Test level is naturally very high, it was around 830 (tested 2 months ago) but CLL recovery was still very hard for me- I am 54 Yo, I think ballistic type stretching (but is painfull and can be dangerous if too rigorous), HGH (but maybe not so much as I have tried extensive Int. fasting, HIIT, and MK677 for 6 months so far), and DHT (much more anabolic than pure test) maybe more important?.
2016 5.3 cm RFem. Fitbone, 2019 8cm LFem. Precice 2.2, 2022 2.9 cm Rfem Precice 2.2

Growing

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2021, 02:30:34 AM »

Thanks for being happy for me  ;)

Growing

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2021, 02:34:48 AM »

Why are you spreading negativity and trying to bring us (men in their 30s) down?
https://www.reddit.com/r/science/comments/akdcos/age_doesnt_determine_mens_testosterone_levels/
At 30-35 men are physically in their peak and you talk about us like we are in our 80s, risk doesn't grow exponentially in your 30s and healing is still fast because it is a young age, lifespan is 85 years and not 50, 30s are young and basically a peak age for men.

You are probably in your 20s, so why are you trying to demoralize us and not to demoralize yourself? You basically only wrote bad about our age group and good about your own age group, very selfish.

Verification:

Thanks for spitting facts bro. I feel I’m much better equipped now mentally and physically vs when I was in my 20’s.

dexter1930

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2021, 04:57:32 AM »

Thanks for spitting facts bro. I feel I’m much better equipped now mentally and physically vs when I was in my 20’s.
I'M gonne be 28 this December. In fact, I felt the best at 27 for the most of my 20's and it's gonna be just getting better from now to 60. Age is just a number, what matter is how you take care of yourself. Life doesn't end at 30 40 50 it can be as long as 100 years. Think positive, we all have enough

SirStretchAlot

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2021, 12:40:38 PM »

Verification:

I think we are missing the point. Unless you're unfit and doing tibias, even older men are unlikely to experience malunion. Femurs in healthy adults are the bread and butter for successful LL.

Most long-term complications are from soft tissues and not the bone. It is quite common for older patients (30+) to experience muscle tightness years after their nails were removed.

As a boxer, and as much as I'd hate to admit it, no one in the ring in their 30s are as fast and enduring compared to themselves in their 20s.

Regardless, forget about your age. As others have said, today is the best day. You will only be older and recover slower next year.
May 2021: 171cm (evening) > September 2021: 181cm
Wingspan: 170cm | Male: 29 | 65kg | Based in UK
Femurs: Betzbone with Dr. Betz | ITB Release: Dr. Giotikas
Dairy: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=66558.0
Pages: [1]   Go Up