Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CLL one side a time?  (Read 388 times)

Joshua1996

• Visitor
CLL one side a time?
« on: August 10, 2021, 10:17:37 AM »

I want to do my CLL by LON method on tibia, and I just want 5cm. Most people choose to lengthening both side simultaneously, and I am curious that if it possible to do CLL one side a time.

As far as I can see, one-side-a-time CLL has many advantages:

Firstly, walking with axillary crutch and one health leg is much easier. you can even work and study like before though with a little inconvenient. that will be much better than getting isolated for two months or even longer.especially for those who want to do their surgery aboard. You can get on plane by yourself and get back to your country.  You don't have to lose your job, don't need to quit from school.

Secondly, the pain, the infection rate will be reduced and the speed of your bone recovery will be accelerated.

Thirdly, with the help of another healthy leg, you can do exercise better. and of course you need an shoe lift to keep balance.

However, one-side-a-time LON has some disadvantages.

The time will be doubled (though it will not affect your life that seriously).

It still hard to say whether the switch will be easy or not.  some people may find it hard to support his body with the leg that just underwent the lengthening and is still in consolidation phrase.(maybe with the help of axillary crutch and ample exercise that will not be an problem).

Most importantly, some people may find their legs have different flexibility. It will be ridiculous to lengthening right leg 7cm and lengthening left leg 6cm. So 5cm is reasonable because most people can reach this safely.

I saw several cases about one-side-a-time CLL in this forum, but I can't find them anymore. How do you think about it? Does anybody has such an experience? It will be kind of you to share here.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, it may sound new or even strange, but this forum is a place for open discussion. If you have your own opinion, just post it and stop satirizing. In fact, One side LL is quite normal for those who have leg lengthen discrepancy.

I believe many people have the same problem with me.  It's a torture both physically and mentally to do CLL,  some people may even have to lose their job. Just imagine that, you have to spend a long time confined in your apartment and away from your normal life! I've read many diaries, and almost everyone of them complaint about that.

All I want is to ease the process.  and  one-side-a-time CLL may be an good solution.

Why would some people being so unfriendly here?  We gather in this forum to share experiences, discuss issues, not laugh at each others. If you don't think one-side-a-time CLL is a good idea,  post the reasons and a 'lol' doesn't make you seem smart..

« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 12:57:13 PM by Joshua1996 »

Fiveandsomething

Re: Can I do CLL one side a time?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2021, 11:15:15 AM »

Lol
Meh.

Stretch

• Considering LL
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2021, 11:38:56 AM »

@Joshua

Sincerely get this idea out from your head

Want-3-inches

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2021, 11:48:32 AM »

I want to do my CLL by LON method on tibia, and I just want 5cm. Most people choose to lengthening both side simultaneously, and I am curious that if it possible to do CLL one side a time.

As far as I can see, one-side-a-time CLL has many advantages:

Firstly, walking with axillary crutch and one health leg is much easier. you can even work and study like before though with a little inconvenient. that will be much better than getting isolated for two months or even longer.especially for those who want to do their surgery aboard. You can get on plane by yourself and get back to your country.  You don't have to lose your job, don't need to quit from school.

Secondly, the pain, the infection rate will be reduced and the speed of your bone recovery will be accelerated.

Thirdly, with the help of another healthy leg, you can do exercise better. and of course you need an shoe lift to keep balance.

However, one-side-a-time LON has some disadvantages.

The time will be doubled (though it will not affect your life that seriously).

It still hard to say whether the switch will be easy or not.  some people may find it hard to support his body with the leg that just underwent the lengthening and is still in consolidation phrase.(maybe with the help of axillary crutch and ample exercise that will not be an problem).

Most importantly, some people may find their legs have different flexibility. It will be ridiculous to lengthening right leg 7cm and lengthening left leg 6cm. So 5cm is reasonable because most people can reach this safely.

I saw several cases about one-side-a-time CLL in this forum, but I can't find them anymore. How do you think about it? Does anybody has such an experience? It will be kind of you to share here.

You are right. It even reduces the chance of embolism by half. If you have the time and money you can go for it. I think you will even have good mental stability doing it like this.

There are 2 main problems:

1. People who see you with one longer leg will find it odd
2. If for some reason, the 2nd leg becomes difficult, then you may have to stop and get multiple surgeries until it is fixed or live with a discrepancy

Joshua1996

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2021, 12:10:21 PM »

deleted
« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 12:53:08 PM by Joshua1996 »

Joshua1996

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2021, 12:22:00 PM »

You are right. It even reduces the chance of embolism by half. If you have the time and money you can go for it. I think you will even have good mental stability doing it like this.

There are 2 main problems:

1. People who see you with one longer leg will find it odd
2. If for some reason, the 2nd leg becomes difficult, then you may have to stop and get multiple surgeries until it is fixed or live with a discrepancy

In some teams, the price of one side CLL is half.As for time, if you can lead an almost normal life, that is not a big problem in fact. More importantly,rehabilitation will be accelerated and it won't be as long as we imagine.

It hard to find a one longer leg with axillary crutch and shoe lift.

And you are right about the embolism. one-side-a-time CLL reduced the risk of that.

As for the 2nd leg. I've read a lot of experience. 5cm is absolutely OK.  even for those who are very strong and bad flexibility.SO leg lengthen discrepancy can be completely avoided.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 02:21:13 PM by Joshua1996 »

HeightGain

Re: CLL one side a time?
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2021, 01:15:40 PM »

Many doctors do this. It isn't unusual

Growing

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2021, 02:51:15 PM »

It's actually a normal thing to do. I have genu valgum and was considering the surgery which is a osteotomy. Here in the United States when performed they give you the option to perform one leg at at time 8 weeks apart or when ready so you won't be completely handicapped while recovering. Only difference though with CLL depending on how much you want to lengthen you'll have a limp once you get to 2-3" gains until you grow the other leg

Worzezterlire

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2021, 04:22:24 PM »

Not a great idea because it doubles the timeline and the timeline is already pretty insane as it is.  You will go from 3 months lengthening to 6, you’ll be on medications like blood thinners and pain meds for double the amount of time which increases dependence and creates longer term issues, not be able to do serious weight bearing due to a discrepancy that even at one inch is almost insurmountable without large shoe lifts (even then it will feel weird), you have to have two surgeries which doubles your trauma-days (amount of trauma multiplied by days under trauma), and physical therapy will be very difficult because you can’t compare legs and keep things consistent.  The upsides are fairly few, if you were a kid getting this done it might be reasonable but adults simply don’t have the time and ability to take trauma like kids do.  I’m sure there’s a possibility you can do this and be successful but from my experience so far (I have less than a half inch discrepancy right now and it’s very much causing problems), it’s really not a smart move.  Just do bilateral and be done with it.

Want-3-inches

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2021, 05:52:22 PM »

Not a great idea because it doubles the timeline and the timeline is already pretty insane as it is.  You will go from 3 months lengthening to 6, you’ll be on medications like blood thinners and pain meds for double the amount of time which increases dependence and creates longer term issues, not be able to do serious weight bearing due to a discrepancy that even at one inch is almost insurmountable without large shoe lifts (even then it will feel weird), you have to have two surgeries which doubles your trauma-days (amount of trauma multiplied by days under trauma), and physical therapy will be very difficult because you can’t compare legs and keep things consistent.  The upsides are fairly few, if you were a kid getting this done it might be reasonable but adults simply don’t have the time and ability to take trauma like kids do.  I’m sure there’s a possibility you can do this and be successful but from my experience so far (I have less than a half inch discrepancy right now and it’s very much causing problems), it’s really not a smart move.  Just do bilateral and be done with it.

What is your daily pain medication regimen like? I have heard Dr D is very generous with his opioid medication prescriptions.

Worzezterlire

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2021, 06:00:09 PM »

What is your daily pain medication regimen like? I have heard Dr D is very generous with his opioid medication prescriptions.

Almost too generous, but I take far less than prescribed.  He prescribes slow release morphine sulf, which I’ve stopped taking a while back now.  I keep it just in case.  He also prescribed up to 4 a day Percocet but encourages people to get down to one or two within a month.  I take two a day.  Also what is essentially valium for muscle relaxant properties.  I take only one a day, not three.

The Percocet once in the morning and once at night is all you really need , IMO.
Pages: [1]   Go Up