Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Femurs too long - advice needed  (Read 1513 times)

Nestor

Femurs too long - advice needed
« on: February 01, 2020, 01:06:20 PM »

After being obsessed with reaching my new height goal I totally missed something very obvious, my femurs are now much longer than my tibias which is a problem as I am keeping this procedure a secret from my family and friends, I'm pretty sure they will notice the difference right away when I sit down. I used to wear lifts so they never knew my actual height. I am considering reducing the length of my femurs, the only worry I have is that I stopped lengthening two weeks ago, I'm afraid that stretching then compressing might damage nerves etc. although my doctor says it shouldn't be a problem. Has anyone else reduced length after stopping for so long? Any advice would be much appreciated, I really don't know what to do here.

Rectifying_Genetics

• Visitor
Re: Femurs too long - advice needed
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2020, 01:30:23 PM »

How far did you lengthen?

Nestor

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2020, 01:41:52 PM »

Almost 6cm

TemakiSushi

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2020, 01:57:32 PM »

What is your original height and femur tibia ratio now?
Plan to have Stryde TIBIAS surgery with Donghoon
Welcome any NEGATIVE information of Donghoon
Any doctor with more than 5% complication rate is NOT acceptable

Nestor

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2020, 02:06:10 PM »

About 5'7. Not sure what exact ratio is but when I sit down my femurs are noticeably much longer, also my knees appear much closer to the ground when standing. I guess my main concern is causing potential nerve damage etc if I were to reduce length after stopping for two weeks.

TheAlchemist

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2020, 02:42:57 PM »

I'm sure it isn't that bad man. Are your family and friends very observant and detail oriented? In my case, I lengthened my femurs 8 cm and while I can tell my femurs are quite long relative to my tibias, especially when sitting down, I doubt anyone would really take notice. Bodies come in so many different shapes and sizes, just look at Conan O'Brien and The Rock, two people of similar height with completely different leg length and torso length ratios.

At one point during my lengthening, I had the same insecurities about my femur/tibia ratio that you're having. Then I realized that I was just trading one form of body dysphoria (height) for another form of body dysphoria (femur / tibia ratio).  I had to just embrace how happy I am with the added height and that the never ending desire and obsession for perfection is more harmful than it is good so I put any thought around ratios to rest.

Even if they did notice your femurs were long, what's the worst that can happen? They stare, they ask a question, maybe they even find out about your LL, in the end what other people say or do doesn't matter, what matters is how you feel about yourself and if you are overjoyed about being 6 cm taller then embrace that.

Dr. Paley Patient: Femurs (Stryde) / 8 CM gained
Surgery: 9/17/19 / Distraction completed: 12/14/19
Start height: 5'9 or 175cm / Endi Height: 6'0 ft or 183 cm
Rod Removal: Dr. Debiparshad 6/16/21
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64373.0

Nestor

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2020, 03:13:55 PM »

Thanks Alchemist, appreciate the feedback. You're exactly right, I feel like I've suddenly traded off my height neurosis for a fear of what people will think if they find out. I don't really care about proportions if my legs were always this way, it's just the noticeable difference they are now. It would be constant ball busting from my friends if they found out, even if I denied it I'd be paranoid with them just staring at my legs, I wish I didn't give a sh#t but sadly I do, those mental games just bug me. I'm not sure what to do, I'm sort of considering reducing by 1cm and wear bigger soled shoes to make the femurs less obvious. I think my biggest fear at this point is potentially causing some sort of internal damage by compressing the nerves after stretching.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2020, 03:29:04 PM »

The doctor said it would be fine.  People get leg shortening surgery and are fine.  I don't think it's a bad plan to reverse direction a little bit.

Rectifying_Genetics

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2020, 03:32:38 PM »

Most likely only noticeable for you, take some picture and post them on the forum.

TheAlchemist

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2020, 04:20:14 PM »

Thanks Alchemist, appreciate the feedback. You're exactly right, I feel like I've suddenly traded off my height neurosis for a fear of what people will think if they find out. I don't really care about proportions if my legs were always this way, it's just the noticeable difference they are now. It would be constant ball busting from my friends if they found out, even if I denied it I'd be paranoid with them just staring at my legs, I wish I didn't give a sh#t but sadly I do, those mental games just bug me. I'm not sure what to do, I'm sort of considering reducing by 1cm and wear bigger soled shoes to make the femurs less obvious. I think my biggest fear at this point is potentially causing some sort of internal damage by compressing the nerves after stretching.

I see. At this stage would the doctor have to rebreak to start reversing or is no surgery required?

BetzLandLiberator

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2020, 04:25:35 PM »

After being obsessed with reaching my new height goal I totally missed something very obvious, my femurs are now much longer than my tibias which is a problem as I am keeping this procedure a secret from my family and friends, I'm pretty sure they will notice the difference right away when I sit down.

No, they won't. NO ONE keeps tab on other's people proportions. Stop obsessing about this and enjoy your new height.
I did 10cm years ago and almost NO ONE noticed the height (only a tall female friend noticed) and NO ONE noticed the proportions. The comments I got were about how I looked "stronger" and "thinner" (people don't know that you can get a surgery to get taller, so they assume you're different for some other reason).

And if you were less than 170cm to begin with, you probably had short femurs before and now they look more normal (that was the case for me).

TheAlchemist

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2020, 05:25:06 PM »

No, they won't. NO ONE keeps tab on other's people proportions. Stop obsessing about this and enjoy your new height.
I did 10cm years ago and almost NO ONE noticed the height (only a tall female friend noticed) and NO ONE noticed the proportions. The comments I got were about how I looked "stronger" and "thinner" (people don't know that you can get a surgery to get taller, so they assume you're different for some other reason).

And if you were less than 170cm to begin with, you probably had short femurs before and now they look more normal (that was the case for me).

100% agree with this.

A book that really helped me manage my neurosis and obsession with little details was 'Meditations' by Marcus Aurelius - a classic book on stoicism which I'd highly recommend to anyone dealing with over anxiety. The book taught me about how insignificant I am in the grand scheme of things. We are born, we live, then we die....and the world simply moves on without you. For the average person, people will probably forget that we ever existed 100 years from now. We obsess and critique ourselves when in reality most people really don't care about us. Our ego inflates our image of ourselves and that manifests into worrying about small details and what other people think or say. Life is too short and precious to spend it worrying about what other people say or think about you. 6 CM gain in height is amazing, you worked hard for it, you earned it, you deserve to enjoy it....don't let a femur/tibia ratio distort that enjoyment, you are trading in one form of body dysphoria for another and you'll probably have a new body dysphoria after that unless you directly address the mental neurosis issue.   

The funny thing is I found this book while I was in the actual process of going through LL but nonetheless is has helped me deal with my neurosis and ego. Ultimately I did LL for myself, not for anyone else, and I'm so happy I did, but I do find myself worrying about how others view me at times which distracts me from my purpose and living life with meaning, so I'd highly recommend Meditations if you have time for a quick read...really helps with body dysmorphia.

Nestor

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2020, 07:11:23 PM »

@Betz Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately my femurs were longer than my tibias to begin with hence them being even more noticeable now after lengthening. I do agree with you, most people don't notice or even care about these things but my own situation is a little bit different, I have one or two friends who would definitely notice the length difference, and that would just open a can of worms for me.

@Alchemist  Thanks for the suggestion, I haven't read Meditations but I read a book about stoicism called The Obstacle is the Way in which it's mentioned. We do obsess over things that don't matter, although its tough sometimes not too  ;D

I really appreciate all the feedback and advice. I'm on the fence about what to do. Everyone has their own reasons for doing this procedure, for me keeping it private is as important as the height gain itself. I would probably be willing to sacrifice 1cm if it might help in keeping things below the radar in terms of people getting suspicious. My only real worry is the possibility of causing some sort of nerve damage or whatever like I mentioned and although my doc says it won't I'm still a bit nervous about it as you never know with these things.

short

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2020, 07:26:48 PM »

instead of shortening femur i would lengthen tibia.

ShortArm

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2020, 10:59:24 PM »

Someone correct me if i am wrong, but i think going backwards with the device is sometimes used to help out the new bone growth. To speed up it if there is problems. I think i read this some years ago, but correct me if i am wrong.

jfk

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2020, 11:19:56 PM »

Someone correct me if i am wrong, but i think going backwards with the device is sometimes used to help out the new bone growth. To speed up it if there is problems. I think i read this some years ago, but correct me if i am wrong.

Exactly. That is why there is Nothing to worry about technically.
I just dont get why he does not have the „I dont give a f***“ attitude.
Worst case: Someone notices and calls you out. You say „no youre wrong“.
They insist, you insist that nothing changed. Thats it.

I am looking forward to that  conversation with my friends actually. It is my life. I do the fk I want with my Body...

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2020, 12:27:17 AM »

You're not wrong.  Several patients in Beijing did this due to poor bone growth and/or contracture.

FormerKidd

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2020, 03:19:16 AM »

I fully understand how OP feels;  I felt the same way after my femur lengthening.  However, I think it's really only obvious when you're wearing little or no clothing -- when you're in pants, jeans, .etc it's hard to tell.

TemakiSushi

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2020, 03:35:18 AM »

5.7 is quite tall so I think 6 cm is not really much for the original femurs
I think, if you are really willing to spend some more money, better to spend that extra to lengthen tibias instead of shortening femurs
But I don’t recommend to do tibia with Giotikas...

Anyways it’s better to clarify femur tibia ratio for future reference
Not just proportions but for the sake of health issues which may arise in the future

Montreal172

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2020, 05:55:30 AM »

Honestly man, you can easily dodge by saying that you started doing yoga, working on your posture or you went to see a phisio to fix your deviated pelvic. So many excuses man.

Issun-Boshi

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2020, 06:30:46 AM »

Why would you recommend no doing tibias with Giotikas?

azman

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2020, 09:20:15 AM »

Why would you recommend no doing tibias with Giotikas?

Because Dr. Giotikas rejected TemakiSushi as a patient😂🤣😂
So much hate toward Dr. Giotikas why?
He is a great doctor and will reject patients and that means A LOT!!!
I, myself and many others are truly thankful for Dr. Giotikas talent and knowledge.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 10:28:01 AM by azman »

TemakiSushi

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2020, 12:42:25 PM »

OK here we go the list of red signs, the reasons not to choose Giotikas

A guy wasn’t happy with Giotikas Reoperation, couldn’t fix misalignment
Check Giotikas X-rays of tibia cases at least on this forum
He doesn’t put thick screws to hold fibulas
It’s well known that the tibia surgery without these screws will leave some troubles with joints
If Giotikas isn’t good at aligning bones then he may produce some troubles with femurs with prospective patients
Misalignments actually could be the cause of very delayed consolidation.  Pure externals should get faster consolidation but taking more than a year with less than 5 cm lengthening.
Giotikas telling patients that he put extra screws into heels for ballerina foot
Giotikas did extra surgery of foot flextor muscle extension to Zakika
Those surgeries should be avoided at any cost to protect soft tissues, ligaments and cartilages
These facts mean that he doesn’t pay much attention to PT to provide better prevention of contractures

TemakiSushi

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2020, 12:44:02 PM »

Oh no, Dr Giotikas never rejected me ;)
No doctors did ;D

Dr Giotikas has just started to do cosmetic LL recently
I’m sure he’ll reject difficult cases which he cannot handle

Polvorón

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2020, 06:09:34 PM »

This thread is not about Dr Giotikas.
After being obsessed with reaching my new height goal I totally missed something very obvious, my femurs are now much longer than my tibias which is a problem as I am keeping this procedure a secret from my family and friends, I'm pretty sure they will notice the difference right away when I sit down. I used to wear lifts so they never knew my actual height. I am considering reducing the length of my femurs, the only worry I have is that I stopped lengthening two weeks ago, I'm afraid that stretching then compressing might damage nerves etc. although my doctor says it shouldn't be a problem. Has anyone else reduced length after stopping for so long? Any advice would be much appreciated, I really don't know what to do here.
I don't know your circunstances, but if I were you, I would never cut my goals. This surgery is for you, not for other people, so if you want to be taller, lengthen what you want, maybe you have only this opportunity. You can try to hide your new height if you use a new hair style (I'm taller? Not, it is my new hairstyle  :D ). Of course, stop using lifts.

If they notice the procedure, talk about you and your feelings, tell them that this surgery makes you happier and you needed it. They should understand you, remember that you are doing this because you want to improve your life, and there is nothing wrong about that.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 06:33:13 PM by Polvorón »
Note: at this moment I'm only a "pretender", I want to know more about this interesting procedure. Hopping to become 185 cm (6'1'') from 174 cm (5'8 ½''), but it is too expensive.
My sitting height is 92½ - 94 cm (36''½ 37''), my length of legs is 81 cm (32'') and my armspan is 180 cm (70'' 7/8).

Andy

• Rough situations don't last, rough people do.
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2020, 08:00:04 AM »

Oh no, Dr Giotikas never rejected me ;)
No doctors did ;D

I’m sure he’ll reject difficult cases which he cannot handle

Have you completely lost it? Are you paranoid with Giotikas or is it something else? Because it seems that your judgement is a bit impaired.
You are only presenting your own uneducated interpretation of things as facts and you seem to ignore the fact that there are regular posts from Athens patients saying how satisfied they are.
Dr Giotikas didn't hesitate to treat "seriouslyInjured"'s complications from another surgeon and it seems that he did a great job. IMO, there isn't anything more difficult in CLL than sorting out someone else's mess and only experienced and confident surgeons can do that.
Finally, the fact that you hi-jaked Nestor's thread,(where he desperately asked for help- which in my view is the main goal of this forum) only to defame Giotikas shows that you have your own sinister agenda...The only remaining question in my mind is whether it is for mental or financial reasons.
Pages: [1]   Go Up