Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Precice cancelled. Please advice for tibias  (Read 1154 times)

V21

Precice cancelled. Please advice for tibias
« on: April 23, 2021, 07:26:11 AM »

Hi guys,

I had surgery for femurs on 23 June. However, it seems it won't be possible because of recallings. Since I just want to do 5 cm, and my tibia femur ratio is 35/44, could anyone please give me advice about doing externals? Giotikas recommends LATN, but all my research was about femurs. Could you please tell me if it's crazy? I'm really desperate here, I have to do it 100% this summer. Since it's just 5 cm, is it doable? Is it worse in athletic recovery?
Thanks

Iwanttobetalleresp

• Visitor
Re: Precice cancelled. Please advice for tibias
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2021, 07:52:58 AM »

Hi guys,

I had surgery for femurs on 23 June. However, it seems it won't be possible because of recallings. Since I just want to do 5 cm, and my tibia femur ratio is 35/44, could anyone please give me advice about doing externals? Giotikas recommends LATN, but all my research was about femurs. Could you please tell me if it's crazy? I'm really desperate here, I have to do it 100% this summer. Since it's just 5 cm, is it doable? Is it worse in athletic recovery?
Thanks

Im sorry I cant help you about that, but could you please explain a little more? What happened? You Lengthened but the bone is not consolidating?

V21

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2021, 08:23:26 AM »

Im sorry I cant help you about that, but could you please explain a little more? What happened? You Lengthened but the bone is not consolidating?
No, I mean I have the surgery booked for june 23, but Precice has been recalled so I just can do externals

Activatedxx

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2021, 08:38:33 AM »

Hi guys,

Thanks

There’s a chance for knee pain for lon or latn, fully external is safest but involves having a bulky fixator around tibia for 6-7 months for 5cm
5’5 -> 8cm distracted -> 5’8  LON Femur.
Brutal painful process, if considering external femurs please change your mind
Monorails installed may 13: Removed august 8, 2021
http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=66610.0

Iwanttobetalleresp

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2021, 09:51:21 AM »

No, I mean I have the surgery booked for june 23, but Precice has been recalled so I just can do externals

I didnt know that. What happened!?

V21

Serilium

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2021, 02:19:38 PM »

Don't worry about knee pain or sh*t like that. Just go for it and do LON.

And it'll take 10 months if you want to do 5cm FULLY externals (NOT LON), not 7 months,

so it's a good idea to do LON instead of externals. I am praying for you V21

Arcon

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2021, 07:15:01 AM »

LATN is better than LON from the risk of infection prespective and 5cm in the tibia is not that extreme a lengthening anyway.

overandover

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2021, 08:07:26 AM »

LATN is better than LON from the risk of infection prespective and 5cm in the tibia is not that extreme a lengthening anyway.

It even heals faster than LON and a bigger diameter weight-bearing nail can be inserted. Go for LATN.

V21

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2021, 08:16:35 AM »

If it's certain that Precice will be back by August I will wait a couple months and do femurs. If not, I will do tibia, but I don't really feel confident about it.

Giotikas told me this: "5cm of lengthening in the tibia is considered a "sensible" lengthening goal and the final functional outcome is comparable to that of femurs".

Body Builder

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2021, 12:14:28 PM »

Don't worry about knee pain or sh*t like that. Just go for it and do LON.

And it'll take 10 months if you want to do 5cm FULLY externals (NOT LON), not 7 months,

so it's a good idea to do LON instead of externals. I am praying for you V21
I needed 11 months for 7,5cm.
For 5 months he'll need 7 months at max for pure externals. Don't say things far from truth.

Rimming your bone for removing externals 3-4 months sooner is a very bad decision for me, not only because of how harder the surgery is but because you'll need a second big surgery for nail removals (and extra money then) and of course knee pain is a reality for many that did it.

Its your choice but for only 5cm the pure externals is by far the best solution.

OnceADay

• Visitor
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2021, 03:09:59 AM »

How about considering betzbone? It's weight bearing and I plan on doing it if Stryde doesn't come back before EU reopens.

Activatedxx

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2021, 07:17:03 AM »

How about considering betzbone? It's weight bearing and I plan on doing it if Stryde doesn't come back before EU reopens.

Betzbone is overpriced trash

inchesmatter

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2021, 07:30:42 AM »

Source?

RealLostSoul

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2021, 08:16:11 AM »

For femurs a reasonable choice. I may do the same. There are many good cases / diaries in the last years.

Activatedxx

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2021, 03:56:35 AM »

Source?

When it came out it was a good choice but now since stryde is out, they are the same price but stryde is way more reliable, betzbone had patients complain of the nail failing here and there

inchesmatter

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2021, 10:23:10 AM »

I am a Betz patient and all the fellow patients I’ve spoken to have had only very positive experiences, me included. I would do it again with Betz.

Arcon

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2021, 10:39:30 AM »

I am a Betz patient and all the fellow patients I’ve spoken to have had only very positive experiences, me included. I would do it again with Betz.

Good for you!...I am sure that Betz and his nail will manage to "steal"  some very impatient patients whilst Stryde is off market, before he sinks back into oblivion when Stryde is back.

RB

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2021, 12:08:28 PM »

Good for you!...I am sure that Betz and his nail will manage to "steal"  some very impatient patients whilst Stryde is off market, before he sinks back into oblivion when Stryde is back.

What’s with the negative attitude? Stryde was a first choice for a lot of people but it’s not simply a case of being “impatient” when some of us had planned our entire lives and situations around stryde on a particular date only for it to be taken away. Betz provided a great alternative and is a way for us to adapt while stryde is off the market. So much undeducted opinions on this forum from people who have never done LL, nor ever will and can’t understand that waiting until 2022 when stryde is back to get rid of height neurosis isn’t a valid option for some of us. I have also had a positive experience with Betz and so have other patients I met in Germany who were back for nail removal. I wish people would speak with actual patients to form an opinion on a doctor rather than just echo the biased opinions on this forum that are based on cases from 5-10 years ago.
Femurs with Dr. Betz - March 2021
5'4" > 5'7.5"
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=66296.0

DonBones

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2021, 12:53:04 PM »

Betzbone is overpriced trash

Just where does this opinion come from?

People seem to think that Betzbone breaks, but I have not heard first hand accounts nor am I ware of the circumstances of the break. If someone went skiing with that nail in, it wouldn't come as much of a surprise, for instance.

You should also keep in mind that Stryde breaks and Precise breaks as well. That is all documented in studies:

Styde: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/17453674.2021.1903278

"Unrelated to the scope of the study, but importantly, 2/30 femoral Stryde nails broke within 1 year after implantation (nail diameter: Ø11.5, Ø11.5; patient weight: 55 kg, 85 kg)."

It also causes lesions and pain.

Precise: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5253187/

"In the second case (loss of 10mm distraction) the nail broke shortly after the diagnosis and the nail was exchanged."

In addition to that Precise is not weight-bearing.

Betzbone does not have these problems. Now I don't mean to argue for one nail over the other, but it's important to keep in mind that there is no 100% safe way to do it and all nails come with advantages and disadvantages. In my opinion a statement like "Betzbone is overpriced trash" that is not supported by any evidence is irresponsible.

If you want to criticise something, then please do it, but also provide evidence and not rely solely on something you've heard somewhere.
First Surgery - Prof Betz - 28th July 2021 🇩🇪
Nail Removal - Dr Becker - 13th December 2023 🇩🇪
Lengthened: 5.00cm
Height: 180cm
Current Phase: Post Nail-Removal Adaptation

RealLostSoul

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2021, 01:06:09 PM »

Just where does this opinion come from?

People seem to think that Betzbone breaks, but I have not heard first hand accounts nor am I ware of the circumstances of the break. If someone went skiing with that nail in, it wouldn't come as much of a surprise, for instance.

You should also keep in mind that Stryde breaks and Precise breaks as well. That is all documented in studies:

Styde: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/17453674.2021.1903278

"Unrelated to the scope of the study, but importantly, 2/30 femoral Stryde nails broke within 1 year after implantation (nail diameter: Ø11.5, Ø11.5; patient weight: 55 kg, 85 kg)."

It also causes lesions and pain.

Precise: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5253187/

"In the second case (loss of 10mm distraction) the nail broke shortly after the diagnosis and the nail was exchanged."

In addition to that Precise is not weight-bearing.

Betzbone does not have these problems. Now I don't mean to argue for one nail over the other, but it's important to keep in mind that there is no 100% safe way to do it and all nails come with advantages and disadvantages. In my opinion a statement like "Betzbone is overpriced trash" that is not supported by any evidence is irresponsible.

If you want to criticise something, then please do it, but also provide evidence and not rely solely on something you've heard somewhere.

Betz admitted himself that he had problems with nails and screws about a decade ago. On the old forum there were quite a lot of people with implant bending/breaking. However, two things come into play here. First, apparently the nail has been remodelled since then and in the past few years there was no report of nail breakage (as far as I know), second you have to keep in mind that people are responsible for this too. If you take the lengthening process light hearted and you start running or slip or whatever ofc that's gonna damage the nail. The fact that he lets you lengthen at home pushes this further (making you "forget" you do this from times to times probably).
However, I do believe if you are cautious and responsible the nail is a valid option, especially nowadays.

There are implant failures with magnetic nails too plus the rusting issue etc. So there are some cons as well. People will echo chamber that STRYDE is the best thing available, which is probably true but with it being gone I think the advanced albizzia nail (Betzbone) is a good option. First hand reports from Betz patients atm seem all be excellent.

AllinStryde

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2021, 08:41:11 PM »

I researched quite a few methods when I was looking.  Stryde ended up being the only decision I could make sense of.  I would wait for Stryde to come back.  It will be safer and better than ever after the company revitalizes everything. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up