Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Could I get any permanent complications from lengthening 2 inches or less  (Read 1803 times)

MrHandsome

I am set on the surgery but I don't want to compromise functionality. If I lengthen less than 2 inches would I have any permanent complications.

IwannaBeTaller

Re: Could I get any permanent complications from lengthening 2 inches or less
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 02:35:32 PM »

Yes, it's possible.
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind.

Android

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 05:11:08 PM »

It's unrealistic to think that nothing bad will happen if you stick to a magic number. There are many factors at play: your doctor, method, distraction amount per day, amount lengthened, your physiology, etc.

5 cm is certainly safer than more, but it's no guarantee. Remember that it's cosmetic limb lengthening, so you have to weigh the risk versus reward.
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

MirinHeight

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 09:29:21 PM »

not likely if you find a very good surgeon.

millions of children undergo external ll for leg length discrepancies with no complications (3-5cm).
find one person on here who got a serious permanent complication lengthening less than 5 cm using external leg lengthening with a good physician.

end thread/
currently 179 cm with a 6'2 wingspan
Goal: 182-183
top 5 LL surgeons: Paley, Rozbruch, Mahboubian,  Donghoon Lee, Giotikas

- planning to have LON tibias with dr donghoon lee in summer 2021

MrHandsome

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 09:32:34 PM »

I am going to Dr. Rozbruch hopefully thats safe enough

MirinHeight

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 09:33:11 PM »

I am going to Dr. Rozbruch hopefully thats safe enough

yes you will be in good hands with Rozbruch

Winterishere

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 10:04:03 PM »

Hi MrHandsome,
When you ask if there will be any permanent complications, I assume instead that you are asking if there any permanent repercussions to a < 5cm lengthening. Everybody's body reacts differently to the lengthening experience. When it comes to a shorter lengthening amount it is safe to assume that you will be doing less damage to your gait and functionality than a larger amount. A lengthening of that amount will still cause you very slight differences in these issues but probably not enough to damage your abilities both aesthetically and physically by a large degree. I think the greater question you should be asking yourself is whether lengthening a short amount will be worth the surgery, time, finance and hard work. It is really something you will have to weigh up in your head yourself. Personally I would not go into the experience with preconceived notions of a set number, or stress over your proportions. Instead just see how your body changes and adapts throughout the lengthening process as you can choose to stop at any point; whether you feel you are doing too much damage, effecting your proportions too dramatically or you are just simply happy with the results. Good luck in your journey!

Body Builder

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2017, 11:45:08 PM »

Malunions and nonunions have no much relation to the kengthening amount.
The same happens to surgery risks (anaesthesia, infections).

The only difference is the rom and the stretching on the soft tissues which is significant of course but 5 vs 6cm is not a big difference. Up to 6.5 cm on tibias are considerably safe, more than that is risky.
Personally I'd go for less than 6 cm on tibias as when I did LL till 6.5 everything was almost excellent, only after that things get worse.

MirinHeight

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2017, 01:24:27 AM »

Malunions and nonunions have no much relation to the kengthening amount.
The same happens to surgery risks (anaesthesia, infections).

The only difference is the rom and the stretching on the soft tissues which is significant of course but 5 vs 6cm is not a big difference. Up to 6.5 cm on tibias are considerably safe, more than that is risky.
Personally I'd go for less than 6 cm on tibias as when I did LL till 6.5 everything was almost excellent, only after that things get worse.

he should do external tibias leg lengthening if he wants to do less than 5 cm.
-malunion can be fixed with external ll easily
-nonunion is very unlikely and rare especially for a very small lengthening and I believe he is a young healthy dude.
-only infections are pin site infections with external ll which are easily taken care of and not serious (unlike an infection that can occur in the bone canal with internal rod)
-risk of anesthesia is very low. You are more likely to die in a car accident, spider bite, etc. You can opt for epidural/spinal anesthesia if you want which has been documented to have even less risks than general anesthesia

#1 thing is you should choose a very good external ll surgeon that can fix misalignments and has a good track record.

Here is why external tibias ll is safer than internal femurs. Remember you can also the precise can malfunction or break along with these possible complications:
(just click on where it says "quote" to view why external ll is safer)

Pages: [1]   Go Up