Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Longer femurs or tibias  (Read 853 times)

Philosopher

• The limits do not set you, you set the limits.
Longer femurs or tibias
« on: July 07, 2023, 12:27:39 PM »

Considering if you have slightly longer femurs and/or tibias, how much can that affect the overall lenghtening and healing process?  Does the potential lenghtening amount really depend on the length-ratio between femur and tibia?
In some northern regions of Samogitia, the average height for 20 year old males is around 6'3''.
So yes, you can say I am striving for average. 🙃

Estimate surgery date: 2026 summer

TheDream

Re: Longer femurs or tibias
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2023, 03:27:38 PM »

Yes, body is naturally built for a 0.8 tibia to femur ratio. This affects the center of gravity which then affects the joints, muscles, ligaments etc.

Essentially, the more you deviate from the ratio the more trouble long term. However, this is a simplified explanation, as doing two surgeries (both tibias and femurs) to restore the ratio will result in its own set of problems from the surgeries themselves, which will vary from person to person.

DanishViking

• The more a women cares about height the more...
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2023, 04:36:38 PM »

Good question honestly. Having longer femurs compared to tibias is way healthier, were as the opposite is risky. See this study:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26398436/

Marie_Bard

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2023, 06:22:42 PM »

Good question honestly. Having longer femurs compared to tibias is way healthier, were as the opposite is risky. See this study:

Giotikas has done some research on proportions as well https://boneandjoint.org.uk/article/10.1302/1358-992X.2018.8.008

YOUNGandSTRONG

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2023, 09:21:39 PM »

And if hypothetically a person lengthens 10 cm in the femur and tibia, the femur-tibia relationship would logically be maintained. With the exception of the upper body of course
A handsome boy who just wants to be tall

Aiming for Betzbone at Becker/Betz Institute.

lovinglonglegs

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2023, 02:39:23 AM »

Yes, body is naturally built for a 0.8 tibia to femur ratio. This affects the center of gravity which then affects the joints, muscles, ligaments etc.

Essentially, the more you deviate from the ratio the more trouble long term. However, this is a simplified explanation, as doing two surgeries (both tibias and femurs) to restore the ratio will result in its own set of problems from the surgeries themselves, which will vary from person to person.

is there supporting document for that besides https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26398436/ ? especially where did 'center of gravity' come from?

« Last Edit: July 08, 2023, 03:57:52 AM by lovinglonglegs »

markr09

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2023, 06:10:52 AM »

And if hypothetically a person lengthens 10 cm in the femur and tibia, the femur-tibia relationship would logically be maintained. With the exception of the upper body of course
There are people who have 6' height that has the same sitting height as low as people with 5'3. I think the vertical difference of the spine/torso isn't as significant as the legs for a lot of people. I do think the proportions of the arms to legs are much more important, and maintain within the range of the femur to tibia ratio +/- a few .0X apart from the min and max.
Ideal goal: (178cm~180cm) 5'10~5'11 with two separate bilateral(femur+tibia) lengthening / (183cm) 6' at max safe goal
Normal goal: (176cm) 5'9 with femur lengthening
Minimum goal: (173.5cm) 5'8 with femur/tibia lengthening

Plan in 2025~2026 when Precice Max comes and has some good outcomes.

LLprime3

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2023, 11:48:23 AM »

This refers to people who ARE BORN with weird proportions, isn't it? And the underlying meaning behind being born that way.

Limb lengthening doesn't create a disease out of thin air just because you chance proportions on a healthy born body.

Thekollecter

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2023, 05:44:54 PM »

LLprime is right I ask dr assayg and he said that study doesn't mean anything he said you can lengthen tibia only and have weird proportions and that doesn't increase risk of Arthiritis

jlk

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2023, 08:13:38 PM »

i was encouraged by a sales rep to get my tibias done first and i'm glad i chose not to. i ended up doing only femurs only and am much happier due to the fact that it's easier to regain "explosiveness" in your sprint with just femurs. i'm sure you can eventually get it back with tibias as well, but just looking at the femurs vs tibias you can see that the femur is much more substantial in size.
178.5cm > 186cm
Pages: [1]   Go Up