Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does Precice 2 set off metal detectors/security checks?  (Read 2063 times)

Penguinn

Does Precice 2 set off metal detectors/security checks?
« on: April 01, 2017, 08:30:32 AM »

Looked this up and can't find an answer anywhere. It'd be a shame if I had to explain what's in my legs every time I'm at the mall or movies with my friends.

vegeta24

Re: Does Precice 2 set off metal detectors/security checks?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 07:03:39 PM »

Something I wonder too, I think it might. Do you think Parihar would know?

Metal Gear

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 10:27:28 PM »

Most likely yes, but you don't necessarily have to tell security that you got CLL. There's plenty of people who get surgeries that requires metal pins, nails, screws, and plates. Just don't quote me when you're getting your anal cavity checked by the TSA haha.

TRS

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 01:36:21 AM »

I've been through many security checkpoints and metal detectors in the airport (I've lost count), but I've only been detected only once with the metal detector. Strangely the same airport didn't detect my rods after that incident even with the same equipment. 

Penguinn

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 05:12:37 AM »

I've been through many security checkpoints and metal detectors in the airport (I've lost count), but I've only been detected only once with the metal detector. Strangely the same airport didn't detect my rods after that incident even with the same equipment.

Ever got detected at malls/cinemas? I don't want to have to make up something in front of friends that don't know what I did.

TRS

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 09:59:39 AM »

Ever got detected at malls/cinemas? I don't want to have to make up something in front of friends that don't know what I did.
They don't have detectors at malls and cinemas here. Unfortunately I can't tell whether detectors could go off, there's always that risk, so it'll be good to be prepared to tell something to your friends and officers.

Penguinn

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 12:08:06 PM »

They don't have detectors at malls and cinemas here. Unfortunately I can't tell whether detectors could go off, there's always that risk, so it'll be good to be prepared to tell something to your friends and officers.

Thanks. I don't mean the ones operated by hand btw, I'm talking about the rectangle you walk through.

TRS

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2017, 02:13:13 PM »

Thanks. I don't mean the ones operated by hand btw, I'm talking about the rectangle you walk through.
The one that detected the rods were the hand detectors. While all the rectangle ones that I've walked through did not go off. But keep a believable excuse handy just in case the alarm does go off. It can be pretty embarrassing.

Chris

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2017, 02:25:26 PM »

My mother has artificial knees, it think made of titanium alloy. The rectangle gate detected it.
And they will also see it if you go trough the "nude scanner".
She had to show a card from her hospital, stating/proving that she has metal in her legs for medical reasons. The exact reasons could remain private.
Then the security officers checked her legs for explosives.
It also happened to me with my regular rods inside when I left India, but I didn't have to go trough the gate with my wheelchair, just the manual check.
I'm a real LL-patient.
I did my tibiae, had complications and will do femurs next.
I'm no longer participating in this community.

Penguinn

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2017, 02:37:39 PM »

The one that detected the rods were the hand detectors. While all the rectangle ones that I've walked through did not go off. But keep a believable excuse handy just in case the alarm does go off. It can be pretty embarrassing.
What excuse do you give for this? I can't think of anything.

My mother has artificial knees, it think made of titanium alloy. The rectangle gate detected it.
And they will also see it if you go trough the "nude scanner".
She had to show a card from her hospital, stating/proving that she has metal in her legs for medical reasons. The exact reasons could remain private.
Then the security officers checked her legs for explosives.
It also happened to me with my regular rods inside when I left India, but I didn't have to go trough the gate with my wheelchair, just the manual check.
Do they make a fuss about it or just accept it?

It'll definitely get detected by airport security checks, but I was wondering about the ones at malls.

alps

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2017, 02:42:25 PM »

"I broke my legs and have titanium nails inserted for support."

I understand you concern about malls - they don't have the technology to scan you fully. But remember you won't be the first.

Chris

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2017, 03:08:10 PM »

Do they make a fuss about it or just accept it?

It'll definitely get detected by airport security checks, but I was wondering about the ones at malls.
1) Car/traffic accident resulting in broken legs. Some officers are curious, but you don't have to explain anything, because...
2) ...nobody cares why you have metal inside you, actually. Always swift and never any problems. The medical card/letter is just needed to show that it is not self-made and could be a weapon.
3) Sorry, didn't read it. Luckily, we don't need any metal detectors for malls or stations in my country.

I'm a real LL-patient.
I did my tibiae, had complications and will do femurs next.
I'm no longer participating in this community.

patientdad

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2017, 04:36:46 PM »

No, they don't set off the detectors.

Penguinn

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2017, 05:16:17 PM »

"I broke my legs and have titanium nails inserted for support."

I understand you concern about malls - they don't have the technology to scan you fully. But remember you won't be the first.

1) Car/traffic accident resulting in broken legs. Some officers are curious, but you don't have to explain anything, because...
2) ...nobody cares why you have metal inside you, actually. Always swift and never any problems. The medical card/letter is just needed to show that it is not self-made and could be a weapon.
3) Sorry, didn't read it. Luckily, we don't need any metal detectors for malls or stations in my country.

I meant something that wouldn't make my friends go "Whoa, when did THAT happen!?" I don't think there's any way to brush this off when detectors go off.

No, they don't set off the detectors.
*fingers crossed*

DoingItForMe

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2017, 07:21:43 AM »

No, it doesn't. It doesn't set off the rectangle metal detectors and it doesn't set off the x-ray scanners at the airports. It's odd, too, because even my belt sets off the x-ray scanner. I think the bone does a very good job at blocking x-rays and detectors from seeing the rods. Even the hand scanners don't pick it up.

You have nothing to worry about.
8 cm gained with Dr. Paley using Precice 2.1 internal femurs in Summer 2015.
Starting height: 167 cm (5'6") Currently at: 175 cm (5'9")
Link to my experience
Pages: [1]   Go Up