Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blood clots and fat embolisms  (Read 966 times)

TouchTheSkies

Blood clots and fat embolisms
« on: June 04, 2021, 10:33:53 AM »

Hi everyone,
I recently read about the death of a Dr Guichet patient called Yush Gupta due to fat embolism. I just wanted to ask about how common this is and the chances of it happening with someone like Dr Paley or Dr Mahboubian with a stryde nail where you walk soon after the surgery?
Age - 19
Target - 6-8 cm internal
Waiting for Stryde return..

overandover

Re: Blood clots and fat embolisms
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2021, 10:37:22 AM »

Hi everyone,
I recently read about the death of a Dr Guichet patient called Yush Gupta due to fat embolism. I just wanted to ask about how common this is and the chances of it happening with someone like Dr Paley or Dr Mahboubian with a stryde nail where you walk soon after the surgery?

This has been discussed over and over and over again on this forum. Use the fking search feature.

Want-3-inches

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2021, 10:56:01 AM »

Hi everyone,

I will answer you if you explain to me the difference between fat embolism and pulmonary embolism and how that Guichet patient actually died.

TouchTheSkies

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2021, 12:07:00 PM »

I will answer you if you explain to me the difference between fat embolism and pulmonary embolism and how that Guichet patient actually died.

Why though? I just read about it and wanted an answer to my question...   >:(
Age - 19
Target - 6-8 cm internal

Limbfan2020

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2021, 03:01:51 PM »

Hi everyone,

It wasn't a fat embolism but a pulmonary embolism. Fat embolism is a rare event that can only occur up to 72 hours post-OP. During this time you're in a hospital setting and educated nurses/doctors should manage this complication wth appropriate equipment. Fat embolisms occur when doctors don't vent the channel in the bone.

Mr Gupta suffered from a pulmonary embolism. He had to cough while he was on the phone with his father who told him to call an ambulance. Coughing ist THAT symptom for a pulmonary embolism and if it occurs you have to act quickly. As far as i understood, he denied going to the emergency department which was his death sentence. I also think that Mr Guichet didn't prescribe xarelto to him. Just aspirin, if any. Moreover, Mr Gupta was in a foreign country. He was probably not familiar whom to call in that case.

Very sad story because his death could have been prevented.

TouchTheSkies

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2021, 04:34:06 PM »

It wasn't a fat embolism but a pulmonary embolism. Fat embolism is a rare event that can only occur up to 72 hours post-OP. During this time you're in a hospital setting and educated nurses/doctors should manage this complication wth appropriate equipment. Fat embolisms occur when doctors don't vent the channel in the bone.

Mr Gupta suffered from a pulmonary embolism. He had to cough while he was on the phone with his father who told him to call an ambulance. Coughing ist THAT symptom for a pulmonary embolism and if it occurs you have to act quickly. As far as i understood, he denied going to the emergency department which was his death sentence. I also think that Mr Guichet didn't prescribe xarelto to him. Just aspirin, if any. Moreover, Mr Gupta was in a foreign country. He was probably not familiar whom to call in that case.

Yeah its tragic. Thanks for the helpful info.
Age - 19
Target - 6-8 cm internal

Activatedxx

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2021, 11:38:34 AM »

Yes, it’s a very rare occurrence and even if it does occur the death rate for it if treated is only 8%. which is less than 1/10

Even if untreated 2/3 of people survive, but it’s partially the doctors fault if he didn’t prescribe blood thinner and anticoagulant. I don’t know if he did or not,

But if you take the blood thinners/anti coagulation medicine after surgery ( I did ) you will be fine no clots
5’5 -> 8cm distracted -> 5’8  LON Femur.
Brutal painful process, if considering external femurs please change your mind
Monorails installed may 13: Removed august 8, 2021
http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=66610.0

SirStretchAlot

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2021, 11:18:51 PM »

Yes, it’s a very rare occurrence and even if it does occur the death rate for it if treated is only 8%. which is less than 1/10

Even if untreated 2/3 of people survive, but it’s partially the doctors fault if he didn’t prescribe blood thinner and anticoagulant. I don’t know if he did or not,

But if you take the blood thinners/anti coagulation medicine after surgery ( I did ) you will be fine no clots

Dr Guichet did prescribe blood thinners to the young Indian and for the entire duration of lengthening, hence why the family couldn't even sue Guichet. The kid didn't take it for reasons we can only speculate. This one is definitely not on Guichet.
May 2021: 171cm (evening) > September 2021: 181cm
Wingspan: 170cm | Male: 29 | 65kg | Based in UK
Femurs: Betzbone with Dr. Betz | ITB Release: Dr. Giotikas
Dairy: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=66558.0

Activatedxx

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2021, 02:20:44 AM »

Dr Guichet did prescribe blood thinners to the young Indian and for the entire duration of lengthening, hence why the family couldn't even sue Guichet. The kid didn't take it for reasons we can only speculate. This one is definitely not on Guichet.

Might have been the needles you have to inject near your belly button. I hated those, skipped the last two days out of the ten I had to take them
5’5 -> 8cm distracted -> 5’8  LON Femur.
Brutal painful process, if considering external femurs please change your mind
Monorails installed may 13: Removed august 8, 2021
http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=66610.0
Pages: [1]   Go Up