Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 6cm Tibia vs Femur  (Read 2047 times)

Pilor

6cm Tibia vs Femur
« on: August 01, 2018, 06:14:30 PM »

Dear Community,

I am planning to do 6cm CLL with internal Betzbone. I am not sure if I should decide for tibia or femur. I do not care very much about aesthetic proportions, but I care about athletic recovery (1) and safety (2). Most important is that lengthening can be done with as few side-effects and health issues as possible.

I would be very happy if you could share your thoughts.

Thanks,
Peter

Valiant

Re: 6cm Tibia vs Femur
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 06:37:33 PM »

Dear Community,

I am planning to do 6cm CLL with internal Betzbone. I am not sure if I should decide for tibia or femur. I do not care very much about aesthetic proportions, but I care about athletic recovery (1) and safety (2). Most important is that lengthening can be done with as few side-effects and health issues as possible.

I would be very happy if you could share your thoughts.

Thanks,
Peter

Hi

Do you know your femur and tibia measurements?. This can help you decide which bone is  better to be lengthened. If you have short femur , to preserve your athletic ability it's better to lengthen your tibia and visa versa.

Lengthening the femur brings with it slightly different risks and complications compared to lengthening the tibia. Like there is a higher risk of fat embolism with femur lengthening via internal nail, but at the same time the femur generally heals quicker than  the tibia when it's lengthene.

Pilor

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 06:50:35 PM »

Thanks for the reply!
I have perfect 1:1 fibia femur proportions.
But as said, I decide based on safety. (Risks, complications, long term effects, etc.)

Thanksa

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 06:53:44 PM »

Thanks for the reply!
I have perfect 1:1 fibia femur proportions.
But as said, I decide based on safety. (Risks, complications, long term effects, etc.)

Thanksa

I have same problem (perfect femur: tibia ratio) and I asked same question on this forum and I got useless responses. My recommendation (after a lot of thought and research) would be to do tibia, longer tibia looks more normal than longer femur.

Valiant

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 06:58:12 PM »

The Association of Tibia Femur Ratio and Degenerative Disease of the Spine, Hips, and Knees.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26398436

To maintain optimal joint health your tibia should be around 80% the length of your femur.  If it's 1:1 as you say it is, it would make sense to lengthen your femur.

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2018, 08:58:49 PM »

The Association of Tibia Femur Ratio and Degenerative Disease of the Spine, Hips, and Knees.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26398436

To maintain optimal joint health your tibia should be around 80% the length of your femur.  If it's 1:1 as you say it is, it would make sense to lengthen your femur.

agree, my guess is he meant tibia to femur 80:100 ratio (which is what I have) because 1:1 is not the perfect ratio and then it is a easy choice (to lengthen the femur) unlike the uneasy decision for me.

Bry

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 09:17:37 PM »

Hmm... if someone got 40cm tibia and 42cm femur.
Lengthening the femur by 8cm will make it 40/50, which would be a 0.8 ratio right?

Would it be worth to do so if your inseam represented 50% of your total height in that case?

Valiant

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2018, 01:21:11 AM »

Hmm... if someone got 40cm tibia and 42cm femur.
Lengthening the femur by 8cm will make it 40/50, which would be a 0.8 ratio right?

Would it be worth to do so if your inseam represented 50% of your total height in that case?

Yes, that would make it 0.8.

Depends. How long is your wingspan?, that's another variable you have to also consider when deciding how much you should lengthen.
My inseam is 83cm and my height is 172.5cm.  If I were to lengthen my femur by 6cm, it would make my inseam be 49.85% of my total height. If I were to lengthen both my femur and tibia by 5cm, I would then have an inseam which would represent 50.95% of my total height.

Below are LL mockups which show how I would look like with such inseams.  With an inseam of 49.85% or lengthening my femur by 6cm doesn't look bad, well at least that's what I think.

https://m.imgur.com/g9zFpSB

Pilor

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2018, 07:11:03 AM »

Usain Bolt has his Tibia longer by 6 cm compared to his femur...
Ehy is it betterto have 0:8 ratio?

Valiant

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2018, 08:49:03 AM »

Usain Bolt has his Tibia longer by 6 cm compared to his femur...
Ehy is it betterto have 0:8 ratio?

The issue is, ratios outside of 0.8 correlate with a higger rate of pathologies of the leg joints.  Does it mean everyone who falls outside , even 6cm longer tibia compared to femur will develop such problems?,  not necessarily. But the rate is higher among such extreme ratios. Usain Bolt is also quite young ( certain joint problems become more apparent with age) plus he trains, is fit. These all act as protective factors against development of joint pathologies.

Bry

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2018, 06:49:52 PM »

Depends. How long is your wingspan?, that's another variable you have to also consider when deciding how much you should lengthen.
My inseam is 83cm and my height is 172.5cm.  If I were to lengthen my femur by 6cm, it would make my inseam be 49.85% of my total height. If I were to lengthen both my femur and tibia by 5cm, I would then have an inseam which would represent 50.95% of my total height.

Below are LL mockups which show how I would look like with such inseams.  With an inseam of 49.85% or lengthening my femur by 6cm doesn't look bad, well at least that's what I think.

Heya, thanks for the link!

My wingspan is 175cm, and they go way past my waist, so that should be fine. :)

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2018, 03:35:22 AM »

for you it is easy choice, go for femur, you do not have perfect femur tibia ratio, your tibia is relatively longer (it is like 1:1 ratio)

taller_in_Kiev

• Put your energy to good uses. Don't waste it.
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2018, 06:54:36 PM »

Definitely start with femurs. One big bone as opposed to 2 bones. Less messing with knees and achilles tendon etc.

Pilor

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2018, 07:37:09 PM »

Should it not be more easy to lenthen tibia, and to recover from tibia lengthening due to less muscles compared to femur?
Pages: [1]   Go Up