Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Considering 4 cm femur, what to expect?  (Read 19425 times)

Uppland

Considering 4 cm femur, what to expect?
« on: December 20, 2015, 03:59:50 PM »

4 cm femorial lengthening with Dr. Guichet in the coming years (whenever I get the funds). Here's what Guichets website says:

It takes 1 day per mm. The main risks are during the lengthening period. It is therefore appropriate and desirable to stay throughout the lengthening period in Marseille. This is not only valid for patients of Dr. Guichet, but also for any surgeon, and saying anything to the contrary would not be fair to the patient.

So 4 cm should be achieved in around 40 days -that's a conservatice estimate considering that there is a 5-10mm expansion during the initial operation.

Then it says this:

An extremely well-prepared patient can expect to walk 'normally' for others watching them, 4 to 6 months after a 6-7 cm gain, but 12-16 months after a 10 cm gain. For less trained patients, recovery can take up to 12-14 months for a 6 cm gain.

It's hard to say how much easier it is doing 4 over 6 cm but I think we can agree these are optimistic estimates. It's also unclear if this time period is counted from the intial op or from the end of the lengthening process. Anyway it'll probably be a year before I will walk normally again.

Impact or competition sports are resumed after full bone fusion (generally 5-8 months post-operatively).

A patient may return to work within 2 to 6 months postoperatively for a lengthening of between 4 cm and 9 cm. The amount of time it will take to return to specific activities is dependent more on an individual patient than on absolute gain. For example, some patients tolerate a lengthening of up to 8 to 9 cm and can resume work 5 months after surgery, while others only moderately tolerate a 5 to 6 cm lengthening.

Obviously I have no idea how well my body will tolerate lengthening, is there any way to get a hint?

Anyway, it'll be at least a one year commitment for me, two years before I'll be running normally and play sports again and that is considering all goes well. Then add in the cost of more than 600 000 SEK. I want to be taller but it sure isn't easy or convenient in the least. I don't understand how some people manage to lengthen 6 cm+

Peaceout

Re: Considering 4 cm femur, what to expect?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 04:14:26 PM »

Hi
Why do you want to do 4 cms? Because of your wingspan? (i think i saw at some post that you said your wingspan is shorter than your height?)

Deads

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 07:21:40 PM »

4 cm femorial lengthening with Dr. Guichet in the coming years (whenever I get the funds). Here's what Guichets website says:

So 4 cm should be achieved in around 40 days -that's a conservatice estimate considering that there is a 5-10mm expansion during the initial operation.

Then it says this:

It's hard to say how much easier it is doing 4 over 6 cm but I think we can agree these are optimistic estimates. It's also unclear if this time period is counted from the intial op or from the end of the lengthening process. Anyway it'll probably be a year before I will walk normally again.

Obviously I have no idea how well my body will tolerate lengthening, is there any way to get a hint?

Anyway, it'll be at least a one year commitment for me, two years before I'll be running normally and play sports again and that is considering all goes well. Then add in the cost of more than 600 000 SEK. I want to be taller but it sure isn't easy or convenient in the least. I don't understand how some people manage to lengthen 6 cm+

Uppland :)

You should know better than anyone what to expect. You've been a member of this forum for a while now.

PatientZero

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 09:40:10 PM »

I don't understand how some people manage to lengthen 6 cm+

When you're 160cm, short and miserable, you can be 166cm instead of 164cm. I noticed you don't have this problem, but don't be surprised about the average Paley tibia patient gaining an average 6.8cm.

Also, your question about lengthening tolerance: You already know the answer to this. Everyone's body is different, and every leg is different. The only thing you can do is strengthen and stretch your legs pre-op for an easier time.
Real patient doing internal femur LL, not a pretender.

yagen

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2015, 10:46:20 PM »

But if you do 4 cms And you can see how your body tolerante the lengthening. Is it possible to rebreak your fémur?

Maybe this way you have a faster recovery.

Has anybody done a rebreak?

Thank you

pablo1989

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2015, 11:55:25 PM »

Uppland I have read your post and I think you are a smart kid and you know what to expect. I don't think you will face any serious complications because you are very young, 4 cm is a small amount of lengthening and you are considering a good doctor.

I am also considering 4/5 cm but in tibia due to lack of money.

Uppland

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 12:21:51 PM »

Uppland :)

You should know better than anyone what to expect. You've been a member of this forum for a while now.

Up till recently it's mostly been a sort of gathering of knowledge and abstract ideas. Now I'm actually planning how to fit into a time-frame, pay for it and considering how it will change my body and lifestyle in a really practical sense.

I'm still not sure how realistic this is for me and the long term risks/benefits aren't clear at all.

YellowSpike

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 02:04:26 PM »

If you're gonna do 4cm with Dr. Guichet, you will absolutely breeze through it. It will be like not even lengthening at all.

You get 2.5cm about 2 weeks post-op, then the clicks will slow down. I believe a month post-op, I was at about 4/4.5cm.

Your recovery will likely be very easy too because you won't have stretched to the point of having super weak gluteus medius and tight hip flexors (you'll of course have it, but not nearly as bad as those of us who did 6.5cm and up). Just focus on stretching your hip flexors as much as you can, and as soon as you recovery enough, strengthen your glute maximus and medius to stabilize your walking.

YellowSpike

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2015, 02:06:20 PM »

Has anybody done a rebreak?

I sometimes toy with the idea of a rebreak, but my proportions I don't think will allow it. But supposedly, it's a very simple (relatively, anyway) process.

I'm going to suck it up and do tibias for 1-1.5 inches max (to keep the risks and recovery time under an eternity) in like 2 years. Figure give my body more of a chance to recover from the 7cm I already did on femurs.

programdude

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2015, 02:15:27 PM »

Its nearly impossible to know how fast you will recover. I was far more diligent and in better shape/a younger age than many patients and I had a bad time.

However, I haven't encountered anyone who did 4 or even 6 cm who did poorly. 4 would to me, seem to be incredibly safe on femurs and you would probably be walking 2 or 3 months after you finished pretty decently.
Dr. Paley Patient- Surgery completed successfully on July 22nd
My Diary for those who want a real play by play to know what to expect:http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=733.0

Starting height: 5 8
End Height-:5 11 +

yagen

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2015, 02:26:08 PM »

I sometimes toy with the idea of a rebreak, but my proportions I don't think will allow it. But supposedly, it's a very simple (relatively, anyway) process.

I'm going to suck it up and do tibias for 1-1.5 inches max (to keep the risks and recovery time under an eternity) in like 2 years. Figure give my body more of a chance to recover from the 7cm I already did on femurs.

Thank you YellowSpike.

Do you know with a rebreak is in the same zona that in the first broken zone or a new one? Is ther first broken zone enough hard to support the forces of a new lengthening?

Many thanks.

Uppland

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2015, 03:24:49 PM »

If you're gonna do 4cm with Dr. Guichet, you will absolutely breeze through it. It will be like not even lengthening at all.

You get 2.5cm about 2 weeks post-op, then the clicks will slow down. I believe a month post-op, I was at about 4/4.5cm.

Your recovery will likely be very easy too because you won't have stretched to the point of having super weak gluteus medius and tight hip flexors (you'll of course have it, but not nearly as bad as those of us who did 6.5cm and up). Just focus on stretching your hip flexors as much as you can, and as soon as you recovery enough, strengthen your glute maximus and medius to stabilize your walking.

When did you start to have a really bad time again, was it around the 5 cm mark?

YellowSpike

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2015, 03:30:59 PM »

When did you start to have a really bad time again, was it around the 5 cm mark?

Around 5.5-6cm was when it start to get really painful. 6cm-7cm was very rough.

Deads

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2015, 03:44:37 PM »

Around 5.5-6cm was when it start to get really painful. 6cm-7cm was very rough.

At what rate were you lengthening Yellowspike? How did you get to 4.5cm in a month without being in extreme agony? 4.5cm in a month is so fast! I never considered Guichet.

Are you aware of his policy on quadrilateral lengthening?

YellowSpike

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2015, 04:37:49 PM »

Thank you YellowSpike.

Do you know with a rebreak is in the same zona that in the first broken zone or a new one? Is ther first broken zone enough hard to support the forces of a new lengthening?

Many thanks.

Good question. I don't know. I'm not really considering this anymore because my femur/tibia proportions would look bad (they're borderline now, but fine to me, especially since my legs are nice and muscular again).

I tend to think that breaking the bone again (after doing it relatively recently) isn't a good idea. Another reason I'm forced to do tibias now, even though I only want another inch/inch and a half.

At what rate were you lengthening Yellowspike? How did you get to 4.5cm in a month without being in extreme agony? 4.5cm in a month is so fast! I never considered Guichet.

Are you aware of his policy on quadrilateral lengthening?

I believe most Dr. G patients get an inch within the first 2 weeks. After that, it depends on the patient, your pain level, how the bones are healing (per the x-rays), etc. I can't remember exactly, but I believe I was at 5cm 5 ish weeks out, and 4-4.5cm within a month. It took me close to 3 months to get 7cm. Some do it faster, but I was in a lot of pain from about 6cm and up. It wasn't unbearable for the most part, I was able to suck it up...but the last days of clicking were bad.

Deads

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2015, 04:44:41 PM »

4.5cm over 30 days averages out to 1.5mm a day.. So I'm just interested to know how exactly that is achieved.. I'm guessing he lengthens you initially in the surgery before you even start clicking?

Uppland

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2015, 05:20:12 PM »

4.5cm over 30 days averages out to 1.5mm a day.. So I'm just interested to know how exactly that is achieved.. I'm guessing he lengthens you initially in the surgery before you even start clicking?

Guichet is famous for his very fast program. I don't know how he does it but his patients still seem to recover quite well -better than with most other doctors actually.

At least that's the impression I've gotten, so far I've read of no real complaints from any of his patients.

YellowSpike

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2015, 08:32:07 PM »

Guichet is famous for his very fast program. I don't know how he does it but his patients still seem to recover quite well -better than with most other doctors actually.

At least that's the impression I've gotten, so far I've read of no real complaints from any of his patients.

Obviously my opinion may be a bit biased...but I think Dr. Guichet is the best doctor. In addition to the fact that he is clearly skilled in what he does, I like the fact that he makes you fill out a ton of paperwork and read a bunch of disclosures, and is also honest in how much you can expect to lengthen. I feel it's good for patients to really know what they're getting in for. I have zero complaints about him whatsoever.

Something that I think people underestimate the importance of is how conservative he is. Even if it means you won't reach your lengthening goal, he really puts safety first (and tells you this upfront in the consultation).

If I could afford it, I'd do tibias with him in a heartbeat. I actually could afford it, but I have other goals I want to accomplish, so will have to settle for a lesser doctor if I do tibs.

Sweden

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2015, 01:17:42 AM »

I'm also thinking about doing 4cm on femurs(still). 600.000Sek is way too much in my opinion. It'll probably be even more if you count on income loss and physio.

4cm is done in a heartbeat. Safe, looks good and enough(for us).

Just hope greed won't set in and "it's just so easy to click to 6cm"  ;D
173cm before LL with Sarin, jan -13. Now 180cm tall. Considering 5cm on femurs.

YellowSpike

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2015, 06:03:22 PM »

The question for me is...how hard would it be for me to add 3.5-4cm on my tibias (using an internal method)? I'd like to maybe do this in 2017 at some point.

Peaceout

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2015, 08:28:12 PM »

I'm also thinking about doing 4cm on femurs(still). 600.000Sek is way too much in my opinion. It'll probably be even more if you count on income loss and physio.

4cm is done in a heartbeat. Safe, looks good and enough(for us).

Just hope greed won't set in and "it's just so easy to click to 6cm"  ;D
sweeden dont you worry about your proportions im not talking about your wingspan it wont be a huge deal for you but for sitting height after LL you will be around 184 with shoes dont you think it will be awkward when sitting ?

Sweden

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2015, 12:39:55 AM »

sweeden dont you worry about your proportions im not talking about your wingspan it wont be a huge deal for you but for sitting height after LL you will be around 184 with shoes dont you think it will be awkward when sitting ?

This is true.
Sitting height will be a major factor. Compared to my friends it looks like I'm the one with the smallest sitting height, even though I'm (now) taller than some of them.

When you're standing up fully dressed with shoes on nobody will notice a 12-16cm gain in your legs, but when sitting down or on the beach....... Doesn't look good.

I was at a party last Friday and I said I compete in -63kg weight class. A girl couldn't believe me and asked me how tall I was. I never got the chance to say it before she asked me to stand up. So my eyes was at her forehead and she was stunned.
She then said she couldn't understand bc she weighed 70kg but it was bc she was so tall she said.

I couldn't tell her it was bc she had more fat and fluid than she needed  ;D

Today I weigh 75kg and I can tell you all that bc I broke my foot this year bc of X-legs and working out like when I was competing, I've gained weight and compared to before I'm actually fat.
Only my coach and I see it, but that's enough for it to be true.
Yes, my wife sees it too but think it's alright.
It's not alright, so I'm warming up right now for a 10km run with a friend. It's 1:40 am here and we have to finish before 6 am(home and done).

I'll be sore for a month.....
173cm before LL with Sarin, jan -13. Now 180cm tall. Considering 5cm on femurs.

Peaceout

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2015, 06:58:42 AM »

This is true.
Sitting height will be a major factor. Compared to my friends it looks like I'm the one with the smallest sitting height, even though I'm (now) taller than some of them.

When you're standing up fully dressed with shoes on nobody will notice a 12-16cm gain in your legs, but when sitting down or on the beach....... Doesn't look good.

I was at a party last Friday and I said I compete in -63kg weight class. A girl couldn't believe me and asked me how tall I was. I never got the chance to say it before she asked me to stand up. So my eyes was at her forehead and she was stunned.
She then said she couldn't understand bc she weighed 70kg but it was bc she was so tall she said.

I couldn't tell her it was bc she had more fat and fluid than she needed  ;D

Today I weigh 75kg and I can tell you all that bc I broke my foot this year bc of X-legs and working out like when I was competing, I've gained weight and compared to before I'm actually fat.
Only my coach and I see it, but that's enough for it to be true.
Yes, my wife sees it too but think it's alright.
It's not alright, so I'm warming up right now for a 10km run with a friend. It's 1:40 am here and we have to finish before 6 am(home and done).

I'll be sore for a month.....
10 ? You are trying hard good luck! Im understanding better everyday that LL is a tradeoff for health and proportions.. :-\

ShortandStubborn

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2015, 07:32:45 AM »

I'm in the possession of funds for LL now and unlike OP, proportions isn't a concern for me. My only concerns are getting into shape before surgery and total time I'll be spending in Milan including the one month preparing pre-op. I'm 165 both, lbs and cms. I wanna go into surgery weighing 132 lbs. That's 2 months of training before flying for Milan if I lose 11 lbs a month(I've lost 13 lbs a month before but I'm told it's not safe), the last 11 lbs I could lose training in Milan.

I can relate to the original post hence I'm posting in this thread. I would like to do 5-6 cm Femur with Guichet. As for what to expect, well, personally, I would like to walk unaided immediately post clicking. Not sure how practical that is but that's the only reason I wanna go into this surgery weighing mere 132 lbs or 60 kgs. If weighing less gives little to no benefit with regards to walking unaided post clicking, I might as well book an appointment tomorrow. Total time spent in Milan shouldn't be any longer than 2.5 Months for 5 cms and 3 Months for 6 cms including the one month pre-op training. Your thoughts?

yagen

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2015, 08:52:51 AM »

I dont think that you need 1 month of preoperate in Milan, you can get a PT in your city. If you want a fast recovery do a rebreak, 3 cms now and 3 cm one year later

28 of nov, now this player is walking with crutches, every 1cm that you lenghthening you need a month of healing, besides with 3 cms you only need 30 days, and soft tissues will not surfer.

Is my opinnion,

aspirant185

« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2015, 11:31:13 PM »

Sorry for the question but, really, why don;t you just do 6 cm ? 6 cm is considered absolutely safe for a femural lengthening, especially with a top doctor ?4 cm is below 2 inches. I think 70 000 euro is just not worth it.
Current afternoon height: 175.5 cm
Wingspan - 182 cm
Target height 184 cm
Considering doing 4.3 cm Femurs and 4.2 cm Tibias with Dr. Milorad Mitkovic in Serbia.

Moloko

• Visitor
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2015, 11:34:53 PM »

4cm seems a very sensible and realistic amount to do and you always have the options to do another few cm on the lower leg if you want to add more later. From your posts you seem to really have done your research. If you go through with it I look forward to reading your diaries. My advice is to do some physio before the operation to try and stretch your hamstrings out so that your body is better able to tolerate the stress of it.

Have you talked to your family about the decision and if so how did they react to it?

I hope this surgery will bring you the happiness you are searching for. Good luck!!!

Madmax_01

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2016, 11:52:03 PM »

I am also considering surgery with Dr. Guichet, and I would like to start stretching as soon as possible. So, does anyone has anyone worked out a good plan for this?
I am also undecided about the issue of training my thighs, because I have read on the forum, that too much muscle mass over your femur bones might not be good for the lenghtening process. Just to give you a quick fact check: I'm 5'4'', 138 lbs, and I can easily do 100 lbs on the leg press, and/or 50 lbs on the leg extension machine (for femur muscles).
Would be very glad if you could give me feedback on that. Thank you very much in advance!

PS: Wish you all the best for 2016!

aspirant185

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2016, 06:53:05 PM »

@Madmax,

To be honest, 100 lbs (45kg) is not impressive. I ve seen regular (not bodybuilding) girls doing that exercise with 50kg. ShyShy reported 200lbs (90kg) AFTER the surgery. You have a lot to work on :) Good luck
Current afternoon height: 175.5 cm
Wingspan - 182 cm
Target height 184 cm
Considering doing 4.3 cm Femurs and 4.2 cm Tibias with Dr. Milorad Mitkovic in Serbia.

Alittletooshort

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2016, 09:34:18 PM »

I am also considering surgery with Dr. Guichet, and I would like to start stretching as soon as possible. So, does anyone has anyone worked out a good plan for this?
I am also undecided about the issue of training my thighs, because I have read on the forum, that too much muscle mass over your femur bones might not be good for the lenghtening process. Just to give you a quick fact check: I'm 5'4'', 138 lbs, and I can easily do 100 lbs on the leg press, and/or 50 lbs on the leg extension machine (for femur muscles).
Would be very glad if you could give me feedback on that. Thank you very much in advance!

PS: Wish you all the best for 2016!
I think that Guichet has a different method than other doctors since he actually wants the patient to have strong legs prior to the surgery but that´s just what I´ve heard, I may be wrong.
45kg for leg press is really not much though. My upper limit is 320-340ks´s on the inclined leg press and a bit over 200kg´s on the flat leg press and I´m not a buffed guy by any means. You should at least be able to do 140kgs on the flat leg press if you work out regularly.

Madmax_01

« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2016, 11:27:22 PM »

45kg for leg press is really not much though. My upper limit is 320-340ks´s on the inclined leg press and a bit over 200kg´s on the flat leg press and I´m not a buffed guy by any means. You should at least be able to do 140kgs on the flat leg press if you work out regularly.

@Madmax,

To be honest, 100 lbs (45kg) is not impressive. I ve seen regular (not bodybuilding) girls doing that exercise with 50kg. ShyShy reported 200lbs (90kg) AFTER the surgery. You have a lot to work on :) Good luck

Got back from the gym, tried the leg press with 150 lbs and could barely push it. (by the way: The machine has a 240 lbs limit). It is going to be a heavy road.
Thanks for the reality check, guys!  :)

PS: 320-340 kg's sounds like a lot by the way. I don't even think that the inclined leg press in our gym could handle such amounts. Are you sure you ment kg's ?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up