Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions/ideas/theories/discussions for the future?  (Read 1227 times)

edwardv6

Questions/ideas/theories/discussions for the future?
« on: August 03, 2018, 01:09:02 AM »

I'm starting this thread because I didn't want to highjack 419's post about Captain America. Instead of talking about Captain America in the comics or Chris Evans who plays him in MCU movies, I think the more important topic in this discussion is if it will be possible for a drug, or procedure, anything, realistically, in the future that could allow an adult body to continue to grow in synchrony. What are the potential obstacles we know of currently that might prevent this from happening? What are things that suggest it can be possible? For those who worry about their proportions, what problem(s) do you look for in this scenario where you now don't have to worry about proportions.

Also, if such a drug/procedure/whatever it may be, were to be accessible to everyone, and everyone in the world has gained 6 inches in height, would you be happy you're 6 inches taller, but still in the same standard deviation? For example if you are 5'6 and desperate for CLL currently, would you be happy being 6' tall now in a world where 6'3 is now the new 5'9 average? Are you chasing a number, maybe you want to be taller than everyone else, or for some other reason(s), would you be satisfied? Just some ideas I wanted to throw out there for discussion.
banned for flaming/hostility

edwardv6

Re: Questions/ideas/theories/discussions for the future?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 03:43:58 PM »

As expected, not a soul on here wants to deal with the real questions and have their delusional bubbles bursted.

CaptainAmerica

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 04:44:12 PM »

How are these “real questions” ? You’re literally talking about hypotheticals and comic book technology becoming real dude.

No, nothing like that will ever exist for a long time. Doctors and medical research do not care at all about vanity or aesthetics but moreso the prevention of illness and healthy wellbeing. There is no one researching anything like what you’re proposing, and it would cost millions to research and a lot of time, considering that only 5% of males are 5’6 and lower (the height at which I think things start getting actually ugly, 5’6 and below), it’s unlikely this will ever be researched at all. I think a larger percentage of people suffer from things like diabetes, various mental illness, cancers, etc and these things will be researched first, far in advance of anything like what you’re proposing.

Gene modification will probably allow you to select for tall children, smarter children, “healthy” (no autism etc) illness.

LL only exists because of some brutal military research done in the Soviet Union. I don’t thinK any world power no longer has the money or interest to research something like this.

The only feasible and incredibly narrow chance of anything happen I see is with “gender dysphoric” people who want to go FtM. The average woman is what, 5’5? Obviously she will still feel dysphoric if she goes from a 5’5 female to male, so there is a slight chance that it may be researched to help them feel more comfortable. That is the only thing I can imagine, but even that seems unlikely.

edwardv6

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 07:45:02 PM »

How are these “real questions” ? You’re literally talking about hypotheticals and comic book technology becoming real dude.

No, nothing like that will ever exist for a long time. Doctors and medical research do not care at all about vanity or aesthetics but moreso the prevention of illness and healthy wellbeing. There is no one researching anything like what you’re proposing, and it would cost millions to research and a lot of time, considering that only 5% of males are 5’6 and lower (the height at which I think things start getting actually ugly, 5’6 and below), it’s unlikely this will ever be researched at all. I think a larger percentage of people suffer from things like diabetes, various mental illness, cancers, etc and these things will be researched first, far in advance of anything like what you’re proposing.

Gene modification will probably allow you to select for tall children, smarter children, “healthy” (no autism etc) illness.

LL only exists because of some brutal military research done in the Soviet Union. I don’t thinK any world power no longer has the money or interest to research something like this.

The only feasible and incredibly narrow chance of anything happen I see is with “gender dysphoric” people who want to go FtM. The average woman is what, 5’5? Obviously she will still feel dysphoric if she goes from a 5’5 female to male, so there is a slight chance that it may be researched to help them feel more comfortable. That is the only thing I can imagine, but even that seems unlikely.
This hypothetical situation is just a way for me to convey the questions in the second part of the OP in a more linear fashion, which is the more deeper issue I wanted to discuss anyway.

I do also want to challenge some members to think more critically about this surgery. Is it bad to provide a side of the argument that might be against CLL, or at least lay out all the pros and cons, and not just nitpick like most on here do to fit their argument? I've seen so many of the same questions asked on this forum with the same information and answers regurgitated, mostly anecdotal and opinions pushed as facts. Not that it matters to anyone, but I would like to see this community push the conversation further and truthfully.

Anyhow, you've brought up good ideas, that's the point, I know gene modification isn't an answer for people already living, but that doesn't mean we can't discuss it, or that it's a waste of time to. I don't recall it ever being brought up on this forum and I certainly didn't think about it, so now there's something new to look into, ask questions about, etc. for example, would members on this forum have a problem with having short children, what if said children wanted CLL, would they consider gene modification when considering having children should it be possible in the near future, etc. etc. etc. Just because you brought up an idea, doesn't mean the discussion ends there.

Kotiki

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 03:17:48 AM »

The fastest innovation we will see on the market in this space is going to be fast consolidation, using stem cells, 3d printed bone fragments and what not. There is a ton of research in this space, cause fractures are a massive cost for governments. There are already things in trials and more in the pipeline. Being able to heal a fracture fast is the number one priority for orthopaedics.

What it means for leg lengthening? Once fast bone healing is available, one could lenghen the tibia with externals taking advantage of all its upsides (cheap, no reaming the bone, full weight bearing, ability to correct the axis with precision, no risk of permanent knee pain) and then just quickly consolidate over a couple of weeks. That would be a massive step forward. And entirely plausible to see this technology in the next 5 years, unlike things like transplanted growth plates and such, which may or may not eventuate in the next 20-30 years

edwardv6

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2018, 05:45:25 AM »

The fastest innovation we will see on the market in this space is going to be fast consolidation, using stem cells, 3d printed bone fragments and what not. There is a ton of research in this space, cause fractures are a massive cost for governments. There are already things in trials and more in the pipeline. Being able to heal a fracture fast is the number one priority for orthopaedics.

What it means for leg lengthening? Once fast bone healing is available, one could lenghen the tibia with externals taking advantage of all its upsides (cheap, no reaming the bone, full weight bearing, ability to correct the axis with precision, no risk of permanent knee pain) and then just quickly consolidate over a couple of weeks. That would be a massive step forward. And entirely plausible to see this technology in the next 5 years, unlike things like transplanted growth plates and such, which may or may not eventuate in the next 20-30 years
Great post, thanks for the information, I like that you brought up research in other fields and how they can be applied to LL and making the connections. Those are the ideas that lead to more questions, answers and ideas that push everything further.

myloginacc

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2018, 11:53:13 AM »

Formerly myloginacct; had issues with my login account.
Yes I do want to add, before doing this surgery, ask yourself if you have optimized your life to the fullest extent possible (job/career, personality, etc).

Kotiki

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2018, 11:23:46 PM »

I'm sorry, I didn't understand your reference. What is the relevance of the second quote?

myloginacc

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2018, 12:44:15 AM »

Just backing up your points.

I don't think limb lengthening will move away from osteogenesis any time soon, but sometime in the next 10 years it might not be distraction osteogenesis anymore. It'd still involve fixators, but osteogenesis would be achieved by proper bioengineered tissue and stimuli rather than a distraction rate and the body itself.

I intend to ask some questions about this to a researcher in this area before the end of the year.
Yes I do want to add, before doing this surgery, ask yourself if you have optimized your life to the fullest extent possible (job/career, personality, etc).

Kotiki

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2018, 08:26:08 AM »

That would be great! Let us know what they say.

Isn't it annoying how there are hyped up news about cures in all sorts of areas popping up every week, but in reality it means another decade of research and trials. Still, treatments to heal fractures might be developed soon, simply because fractures are an enormous burden on the society and public health. Nothing that will benefit cosmetic leg lengthening exclusively is going to get sufficient funding any time soon. But fractures affect a large proportion of population (car accidents, sports, falls in elderly). And it's a number one priority for orthopaedics.

If a break could be reliably healed even in 2 months, external tibias suddenly wouldn't look so bad.

myloginacc

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2018, 01:35:07 PM »

That would be great! Let us know what they say.

Isn't it annoying how there are hyped up news about cures in all sorts of areas popping up every week, but in reality it means another decade of research and trials. Still, treatments to heal fractures might be developed soon, simply because fractures are an enormous burden on the society and public health. Nothing that will benefit cosmetic leg lengthening exclusively is going to get sufficient funding any time soon. But fractures affect a large proportion of population (car accidents, sports, falls in elderly). And it's a number one priority for orthopaedics.

If a break could be reliably healed even in 2 months, external tibias suddenly wouldn't look so bad.

That's what I'm guessing is stored in the future.

I don't think you can suddenly open a huge 6cm gap with distraction & fixating devices without causing huge soft tissue and possibly nerve damage, but I think we'll be seeing big reductions in the amount of time needed for distraction and healing (osteogenesis) - so much that it will be termed something else, as the distraction won't be the main part of the treatment. That's something that can be realistically expected, I think. The technology is expected to treat fractures and non-unions.

Pilor

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2018, 04:44:54 PM »

But doesn't this osteogenesis supporter already exist? (Groth hormone and similar)

Johnson1111

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2018, 09:11:11 PM »

I'd be extremely happy if everyone were the same height, as i've lived my whole life at a disadvantage (Especially in athletics)

This is completely subjective and individual because conversely, someone who is 6'5" would be infuriated and become depressed over the fact that he wouldn't be able to exploit the obscure, biased, biological societal construct that we find ourselves in any longer. When you're accustomed to receiving a silver spoon, it's devastating to lose it and have to live in actual reality. Whereas if you never had a silver spoon, you can fare better in an environment you've had a head start and are more familiar with.

As long as a man's stature is seen as "insignificant" to the feminist republic of the west that we also find ourselves in....The longer we'll have to wait for a cure. Doctors, surgeons and researchers also face the same social pressure that regular citizens do. If they aren't given the funding and don't have any incentive to find a solution, then it will simply never happen. Right now they'd be demonized by the majority of the brainwashed public into wanting to come up with such a solution. Therefor private research and solutions would need to be done with financial backing from regular (But fairly wealthy) people. Even then, it still may not be enough at this point.

This leads me to believe that the eventual cure (Whether that be 10, 50 or 100+ years) for short stature, will NOT be created in the West, just like classic ilizarov wasn't. Not because we cannot do it faster, because we won't.

Kotiki

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2018, 10:05:47 AM »

I'll just leave it here.

3-D printed cast uses ultrasound to heal broken bones 40% faster. https://9gag.com/gag/aZ3Y9n3?ref=android

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2018, 06:25:02 AM »

I shouldn't have taken any post made by someone living in a fantasy world seriously.

edwardv6

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2018, 06:34:44 AM »

I shouldn't have taken any post made by someone living in a fantasy world seriously.
You're so mad you want to hijack my post lmfao who's living in a fantasy world? Me who's giving a scenario letting everyone know it's hypothetical and asking for opinions on it or you who think boxers/fighters can increase punching power by swinging axes? Shouldn't there be no pillow-fisted boxers/fighters? Why isn't everyone swinging axes and getting heavy handed? Why are fights still going to decisions if everyone can train to hit harder? LMFAO

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2018, 06:38:26 AM »

You're so mad you want to hijack my post lmfao who's living in a fantasy world? Me who's giving a scenario letting everyone know it's hypothetical and asking for opinions on it or you who think boxers/fighters can increase punching power by swinging axes? Shouldn't there be no pillow-fisted boxers/fighters? Why isn't everyone swinging axes and getting heavy handed? Why are fights still going to decisions if everyone can train to hit harder? LMFAO

Why isn't everyone rich? Well, I guess money can't be earned. LOL

'Why are fights still going to decisions if everyone can train to hit harder?'

Because humans can move, moron. Just because one can punch hard doesn't mean he's gonna win a fight. LOLLL

edwardv6

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2018, 06:48:45 AM »

Why isn't everyone rich? Well, I guess money can't be earned. LOL

'Why are fights still going to decisions if everyone can train to hit harder?'

Because humans can move, moron. Just because one can punch hard doesn't mean he's gonna win a fight. LOLLL
Who the fcck said because someone can punch hard, that person is winning the fight? Wow you're really retarded. Keep assuming and jumping to conclusions.

This is my last post to you so I'll end you with this

You believe @Iso9 can make up for compromised footwork due to LL with power
1. His legs are compromised, where do you think punching power comes from?
2. You can't train to hit harder outside of having good technique, swinging an axe makes someone hit harder how? lol
3. @Iso9 won't be getting KO'd left and right like I said because humans can move? Without footwork how's he moving out of punches? And don't you dare think he can just sit in the pocket slipping and rolling, in your fantasy world where you think you can dodge everything yea, but this is real life. Oh, things come full circle don't they, fantasy worlds, footwork, wow, good job contradicting yourself stupid.

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2018, 07:09:13 AM »

Who the fcck said because someone can punch hard, that person is winning the fight? Wow you're really retarded. Keep assuming and jumping to conclusions.

This is my last post to you so I'll end you with this

You believe @Iso9 can make up for compromised footwork due to LL with power
1. His legs are compromised, where do you think punching power comes from?
2. You can't train to hit harder outside of having good technique, swinging an axe makes someone hit harder how? lol
3. @Iso9 won't be getting KO'd left and right like I said because humans can move? Without footwork how's he moving out of punches? And don't you dare think he can just sit in the pocket slipping and rolling, in your fantasy world where you think you can dodge everything yea, but this is real life. Oh, things come full circle don't they, fantasy worlds, footwork, wow, good job contradicting yourself stupid.

I thought you already said you were done. LOL so desperate.

edwardv6

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2018, 07:12:40 PM »

I thought you already said you were done. LOL so desperate.
It only takes a few minutes for anyone to read through our post history to see who's desperate. You're so desperate you had to try get the last post to say I made one more after I said I was done, congratulations, do you win a prize? LMFAO
Pages: [1]   Go Up