Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Experience Diary for Intramedullary Humeral lengthening?  (Read 627 times)

TP99

• Visitor
Experience Diary for Intramedullary Humeral lengthening?
« on: January 23, 2022, 09:40:13 PM »

Recently finished up a surgery for unilateral humerus LL via Precice intramedullary nail.

Curious if anyone would appreciate me keeping updates for a thread?

Best,
TP99

Polvorón

Re: Experience Diary for Intramedullary Humeral lengthening?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2022, 01:33:19 AM »

Recently finished up a surgery for unilateral humerus LL via Precice intramedullary nail.

Curious if anyone would appreciate me keeping updates for a thread?

Best,
TP99
Of course, yes, there are people with short arms and a diary can be helpful for them.
Thank you in advance. :)
Note: at this moment I'm only a "pretender", I want to know more about this interesting procedure. Hopping to become 185 cm (6'1'') from 174 cm (5'8 ½''), but it is too expensive.
My sitting height is 92½ - 94 cm (36''½ 37''), my length of legs is 81 cm (32'') and my armspan is 180 cm (70'' 7/8).

ReadRothbard

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2022, 03:08:58 AM »

Yeah, I'd be really interested in hearing how you recovered.
“If you're afraid - don't do it, - if you're doing it - don't be afraid!” ― Genghis Khan

172 cm in the morning (67.8"); 170 cm (67”) at night; Sitting Height: 96 cm (37.8”); Goal: 184.5 cm (6'0.7"); Ultimate Goal: 192 cm (6’3.5) morning height, 190 cm (6’3) “night” height
Future space tycoon

Will955

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2022, 08:23:27 PM »

Yes, we would love that.

I am considering doing Humeral lengthening in 2-3 years. Mainly for cosmetic reasons, but also because my left humerus is shorter by 1,25mm.

I'd love for 5cm.

How much are you lengthening, man?

What's your Ulna Radius / Humerus ratio?

Appreciate you making this thread.

TP99

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2023, 09:26:52 PM »

Apologies for the late update.

When I was younger I was diagnosed with an Aneurysmal Bone Cyst. During the repair my growth plate was injured and that caused the subsequent growth arrest, leading to a unilateral discrepancy of ~12cm.

I'm in the medical field so as I grew up I kept a close eye on the new research and surgical methods that were being presented in regard to bone lengthening. I ended up leaning towards an intramedullary nail over an external fixator. Due to circumference and length of the affected arm, the humeral nail would not fit. After further talks with my surgeon and the product reps, we decided to use the tibial nail (as that allowed for use with the smaller bone).

I had my first surgery and we achieved a max distraction lengthening of 5cm. This was then followed by another surgery with the same nail. Essentially we unscrewed the current nail, compressed it back to it's original size, then re-attached it to another segment of bone. In total this allowed for a total maximal distraction lengthening of 10cm.

The pain and paresthesias were an everyday occurrence and were most apparent during the lengthenings (3x daily). My range of motion has now been fully recovered. The arm is weight-bearing fine and I have even began working out again.

This was an absolutely life-changing procedure. My only regret is not going through with it earlier!

I'm happy to answer any questions!
Pages: [1]   Go Up