Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Still a little Confused- External Tibia the way to go?  (Read 6945 times)

secondclasscitizen

• Visitor
Still a little Confused- External Tibia the way to go?
« on: February 04, 2014, 06:56:06 AM »

Ive concluded-from being on this and another LL forum wayyy too long- that the best way to lengthen in terms of femur is internally.

But I haven't been able to decipher what is the best option for tibia-suppose money is not an issue.
In terms of recovery and pain is internal the best option for tibia as well or external? I see sooo many more people getting externals on their tibia's but it it because this is cheaper or because it's the over all better method?

I know Paley offers the precise 2 which is now weight bearing in the tibia's as well. It would leave way less scarring behind so initially I'm drawn to this option (but I know worst case scars can be removed by laser). But I'm assuming since very little people have gone this route that maybe it isn't best for the over-all well being of your legs. Are externals the safest and best method when lengthening your tibias? (forgetting the money factor)

Wannabegiant

Re: Still a little Confused- External Tibia the way to go?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 02:13:00 PM »

The main reasons for getting external for tibias seem to be the cheaper price. But there is also the fact that this method is less invasive and you dont need another operationen for the nail removal that internal methods require (unless you want to keep the rod in the bone but i cant see that being good in the long run)

Also there seems to be a high risk of getting (permanent?) knee pains with internal as they need to cut some part of the knee open to insert the nail from there.

jerry

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 02:18:42 PM »

Also there seems to be a high risk of getting (permanent?) knee pains with internal as they need to cut some part of the knee open to insert the nail from there.

That is only for the internal Tibias right? Because for internal femurs, they insert the nail via the hip & butt area, so it won't affect your knees.   

FrankGarrett

• Yew collect callin' son of a bitch, yew.
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 02:24:10 PM »

The main reasons for getting external for tibias seem to be the cheaper price. But there is also the fact that this method is less invasive and you dont need another operationen for the nail removal that internal methods require (unless you want to keep the rod in the bone but i cant see that being good in the long run)

Yeah, for internal tibae, the risk of permanent knee pain is something like 30%. Too high for me so I want to do external-only.

I could be wrong but I think it's caused by the rods preventing the bone from healing properly.

Metanoia

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 02:51:22 PM »

Hi,

Internal Tibia lengthening is nothing to be recommended. I have only seen patients of Dr. Betz and they all had some permanent damage. The complication rate for internal tibia lengthening is much higher than for internal femur lengthening. Typical complications are bone infection, nerve damage, loss of function, compartment syndrome.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 04:08:40 PM »

I agree with pretty much everything posted so far, but wanted to add that the scars from the Ilizarov pins were the easiest to remove and are barely noticeable now.  The scars at the knee from the internal nail insertion/removal and the osteotomy scars are the worst.  This is in terms of the expense and final result you'll get from going to a plastic surgeon.

secondclasscitizen

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 07:11:47 PM »

Wow thank you...it makes a lot more sense to me now. Deff not worth risking permanent knee pain and an extra surgery is a turn off as well.

Very very helpful thank you again!

crimsontide

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 01:19:05 AM »

im  very content with the decision to go external... no nail in the knee for me

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 01:59:12 AM »

im  very content with the decision to go external... no nail in the knee for me

Yeah that's the only regret I have.  I wish I'd known at the time but the vets just weren't talking about it back in 2007.

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 02:01:29 AM »

If I were to go external I'd like to use Taylor Spatial Frames. They look very sturdy.
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

Taller

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 02:07:13 AM »

If I were to go external I'd like to use Taylor Spatial Frames. They look very sturdy.

Agreed. They are sturdy, fully weight-bearing, and they allow for almost any kind of correction you could imagine. With the right doctor and TSF, there's no reason that your tibaie wouldn't be perfectly aligned after LL.

Unfortunately, they are pricey, and I've only heard Dr. Mahboubian and Dr. Sringari confirm that they offer them.

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 02:21:47 AM »

Agreed. They are sturdy, fully weight-bearing, and they allow for almost any kind of correction you could imagine. With the right doctor and TSF, there's no reason that your tibaie wouldn't be perfectly aligned after LL.

Unfortunately, they are pricey, and I've only heard Dr. Mahboubian and Dr. Sringari confirm that they offer them.

I've got some info coming from a few docs in India and USA that offer Taylor Spatial Frames. I'll post that info when I get it.
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

secondclasscitizen

• Visitor
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 02:44:17 AM »

@crimsontide

I think you went with the best option for tibia and one of the best docs. Looking forward to hearing about your journey!

Taller

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2014, 02:59:03 AM »

I've got some info coming from a few docs in India and USA that offer Taylor Spatial Frames. I'll post that info when I get it.
Awesome. I'm looking forward to that post!

crimsontide

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2014, 03:47:01 AM »

ty second

alps

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2014, 02:57:42 PM »

I think Taylor spatial frame is used only with LON where you must insert a rod. Am I right?

Anyway, isn't Salamehfix the best way to go if you want just externals? It is the smallest frame afaik.

PrettyTall

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2014, 06:07:27 PM »

Any pic ?
Pages: [1]   Go Up