Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 33   Go Down

Author Topic: No More Mal-Kahn-Tent - External Tibias - Dr Parihar  (Read 418268 times)

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
Re: No More Mal-Kahn-Tent - External Tibias - Dr Parihar
« Reply #155 on: August 02, 2014, 05:32:04 PM »

What a very comprehensive account! Lots of info here for those eyeing India.

Who do you think is the most viable alternative for Precice in India which would be significantly cheaper than Dr Franz (eg 10K less)?

Thanks.

I don't think anyone would be significantly cheaper than Dr Birkholtz when you factor in accommodation cost. Dr Shah is $40,000 USD for Precice 2 femur lengthening which includes stay in hospital for two weeks. If you stay at a hotel It's probably around $1,500 a month. Dr Parihar is $45,000 not including complications or accommodation.
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

yudha

• Visitor
« Reply #156 on: August 02, 2014, 11:56:46 PM »

how are you KILO....for the last two days you seem no more talking about pain...no more sleep and pain problem? i hope so...so dr mangal give you stronger painkiller? how do you think (i'm 40 years old) about i take this surgery can i stand the pain?

Sweden

« Reply #157 on: August 03, 2014, 01:39:20 AM »

how are you KILO....for the last two days you seem no more talking about pain...no more sleep and pain problem? i hope so...so dr mangal give you stronger painkiller? how do you think (i'm 40 years old) about i take this surgery can i stand the pain?

Very much older people than you have done it. Some with good result, others with bad.

It's all individual and nobody can say if you're suitable or not.

If you want to be taller then you know what you need to do.
173cm before LL with Sarin, jan -13. Now 180cm tall. Considering 5cm on femurs.

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #158 on: August 03, 2014, 08:05:33 AM »

He gave me an NSAID called Voveran SR and I also went back to turning .75 mm per day each day instead of alternating between .75 mm and 1 mm. These combined helped a great deal in reducing pain. Sometimes it is still hard to sleep but that's mainly because the frames are awkward and make it hard to get comfortable.

Pain is different for everyone. Some end up with a lot and some hardly any while lengthening. It's something you won't really know until you do it.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #159 on: August 03, 2014, 03:14:48 PM »

He gave me an NSAID called Voveran SR and I also went back to turning .75 mm per day each day instead of alternating between .75 mm and 1 mm. These combined helped a great deal in reducing pain. Sometimes it is still hard to sleep but that's mainly because the frames are awkward and make it hard to get comfortable.

Pain is different for everyone. Some end up with a lot and some hardly any while lengthening. It's something you won't really know until you do it.

Glad you're feeling a bit better due to the decreased turning.  Taking breaks and/or turning less can work wonders with LL problems.

Wannabegiant

« Reply #160 on: August 08, 2014, 03:26:18 AM »

Man i hope all goes well for you, I just have to say that in hindsight maybe you should consider the plating option, maybe you can do it with Shah later if you change your mind.

Because exfix only takes an absolutely insane ammount of time, thats part of the reason why i didnt want to do more than 4.3 cm. At 5.5 cm lengthening, it could end up taking 8 -10 months in frames i think. Its very very hard mentally, especially if you want to keep it hidden from all your friends.

mediocre

« Reply #161 on: August 08, 2014, 04:53:52 AM »

Just make sure you take that after meals because it can cause gastric ulcers.

Also long-term intake of NSAID is related to heart attack and stroke.

Opioids on the other hand can cause dizziness and potentially addictive

But of course if the pain is there, no choice but to take these meds.

Overdozer

« Reply #162 on: August 08, 2014, 07:35:22 AM »

At 5.5 cm lengthening, it could end up taking 8 -10 months in frames i think.
That's only if you have  ty consolidation rate. At Ilizarovs centre the number they give is 2 month for 5cm and 1 month extra for every 1cm over, and that's standart cons rate. I've lengthened 8cm on femur, and my doc told me I can take the frames off in a month, but I'll probably give it 2 months just to be safe.
Pre-surgery - 167 cm, Post-surgery - 181 cm
Final arm span - 177 cm, Sitting height - 90 cm

Lengthened 7.5 cm in tibias and femurs and 3.5 cm in each humerus. Surgeries performed all external by Dr. Kulesh, in Saint-Petersburg, Russia - http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=1671.0

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #163 on: August 08, 2014, 10:53:39 AM »

Update 8/8/2014
This last week has been much better than the week before. A combination of the NSAIDS and turning less has worked great for pain management. I hadn't put any weight on my legs for about a week, scooting to the restroom and staying in bed all day, and when I first tried walking again it was as if I was trying to put weight on my legs for the first time. I realized then that walking would not get any easier if I kept avoiding it, so I pushed myself to stand for longer periods and to start walking to the bathroom and back again. The first few days were very difficult, but after getting over that hurdle it just got easier. The other day I managed to walk out into the lounge, downstairs, and to the ATM machine from the auto rickshaw after being driven near it from the hotel parking lot. Aside from some pressure on my legs after resting, I feel a lot stronger than before.

Yesterday I saw Dr Parihar again and he gave me an examination and went over my x-rays. He decided that 8 days of the NSAID were enough and put me back on Ultracet, which is a pain reliever that's much less strong and isn't an NSAID but should help some. He didn't want me taking more of it because of its effects on the quality of regenerate and the acidity (though he did give me an antacid to take with it earlier). He talked a bit about how in India they're probably more used to pain tolerance than people in Western nations, and unlike some Western doctors who will decide to pump you full of drugs for pain relief a lot of doctors in India would try to avoid giving you a bunch of pain meds if possible. Dr Parihar isn't keen on giving strong pain relief medication after discharge from the hospital, because of the effects from taking such drugs, not only in terms of bodily side effects but also how some will affect you mentally - he doesn't do cortisone injections for example because they can make you loopy. One interesting thing he said is that in terms of pain, half of it is a mental thing and that if you're depressed or not occupying yourself with things throughout the day and only focusing on the pain, then it will seem much worse than if you were in a good mood or you were giving yourself things to do. He said it's like the difference between lighting a candle in the day or at night. The candle is the exact same no matter what time you light it, but you'll perceive it differently based on the surroundings. I agree with him that half of it is completely mental and that's probably why some doctors have told me that the most optimistic patients have the best results.

When I left and was waiting for the chemist to give me my medication, a woman came up to me downstairs and asked all sorts of questions about the frames and why I was in them. I just told her I was correcting a slight bowing to relieve pain and didn't feel like telling her I was doing this cosmetically. A few other people came up to me and asked me if I had an accident. Fortunately they didn't inquire further when I just said no.

Got myself a wheelchair today from a guy who makes orthopedic appliances named Mr Shringare. He's the one who gave me my extra wide walker earlier. I paid 26,000 INR for it but it should come in handy back home because our parking space is so far from the apartment. Mr Shringare is a nice guy whose English is rather good and it was nice to be able to communicate with someone new - the only people here who I can communicate well with in English are Dr Parihar, Dr Divya, the physios, and the hotel general manager. He showed me his leg where he had an injury that Dr Parihar operated on and I saw the faint pin site scars from the monorail fixator. He told me that he knew Dr Parihar from when he was still an undergrad and that he's the only doctor I should see in India for Ilizarov-related surgeries. I asked if he knew about Dr Shah and he told me that he know him but that Dr Parihar should be the only one to consider for these things. It was nice talking to a prior patient who was pleased with his surgical result. I have to say that Dr Parihar has a really good reputation here, especially considering that because doctors aren't allowed to do mass advertising in India his rep had to be built almost entirely of word of mouth.

According to my x-rays I've distracted about 2.5 cm where I've turned for 2.8 cm. Looks like it's caught up from the lag. I'm actually surprised that the total distraction is that close to how much I've turned as I was expecting a greater difference to still be present.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 11:06:35 AM by KiloKAHN »

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #164 on: August 08, 2014, 11:03:36 AM »

Glad you're feeling a bit better due to the decreased turning.  Taking breaks and/or turning less can work wonders with LL problems.

It's definitely helped. It's kind of amazing how big a difference an extra .25 mm of distraction per day makes in how well you feel.

Man i hope all goes well for you, I just have to say that in hindsight maybe you should consider the plating option, maybe you can do it with Shah later if you change your mind.

Because exfix only takes an absolutely insane ammount of time, thats part of the reason why i didnt want to do more than 4.3 cm. At 5.5 cm lengthening, it could end up taking 8 -10 months in frames i think. Its very very hard mentally, especially if you want to keep it hidden from all your friends.

During my most recent visit with Dr Parihar I brought up plating and he again expressed an unfavorable opinion of bilateral plate fixation. He said you could do it in young children and on one leg for injuries, but he's really against doing it bilaterally in adults and doesn't think you'd heal well with it. Although Dr Shah would do it I don't think I'd be comfortable having a separate doctor work on my legs that another doctor did surgery on first if my healing is going smoothly.

I think I can manage the frame time. Dr Parihar is expecting around 9 months total. Judging from how long I've been alone in India I could probably pull off some more months of being hidden from friends until I get these frames off.

Just make sure you take that after meals because it can cause gastric ulcers.

Also long-term intake of NSAID is related to heart attack and stroke.

Opioids on the other hand can cause dizziness and potentially addictive

But of course if the pain is there, no choice but to take these meds.

Yeah I'm done with the NSAIDS after those 8 days. Risking bad regenerate would worry me too much so I'll stick with the Ultracet even though it's not as effective.

Wannabegiant

« Reply #165 on: August 08, 2014, 12:11:14 PM »

That's only if you have s**tty consolidation rate. At Ilizarovs centre the number they give is 2 month for 5cm and 1 month extra for every 1cm over, and that's standart cons rate. I've lengthened 8cm on femur, and my doc told me I can take the frames off in a month, but I'll probably give it 2 months just to be safe.

sounds confusing, 2 months for 5 cm?? you mean after the lengthening period is done i guess? So 5 cm might take 2.5 or 3 months to lengthen, and then 2 extra months?

Doesnt sound like an average time frame since most doctors say 1.5-2 months per cm is average. That would mean 7,5 months total for 5 cm would be lower end on the average.

Femur is different and i dont know when you started lengthening the femur so i wont get into that.

« Reply #166 on: August 08, 2014, 02:11:44 PM »

sounds confusing, 2 months for 5 cm?? you mean after the lengthening period is done i guess? So 5 cm might take 2.5 or 3 months to lengthen, and then 2 extra months?

Doesnt sound like an average time frame since most doctors say 1.5-2 months per cm is average. That would mean 7,5 months total for 5 cm would be lower end on the average.

Femur is different and i dont know when you started lengthening the femur so i wont get into that.

He's not that wrong, you need 30-40 days per cm (starting at the day of your operation) for the bone to be consolidated enough for weight bearing. You will likely get the frames taken of before the bone is fully consolidated but consolidated enough for weight bearing.

Wannabegiant

« Reply #167 on: August 08, 2014, 02:16:36 PM »

He's not that wrong, you need 30-40 days per cm (starting at the day of your operation) for the bone to be consolidated enough for weight bearing. You will likely get the frames taken of before the bone is fully consolidated but consolidated enough for weight bearing.

ah okey, i guess some doctors are more conservative and want to avoid the risk of the bone bending, so they dont allow you to remove the frame until it is fully consolidated..(at least it seems to be the case with Bagirovs clinic).

Maybe just maybe i will be done at the end of this month when i take my next x-rays.. at that point i will have worn the frames for 6 months and i did 4.3 cm...

Maybe they can give me some cast or braces for my legs if i remove them a little earlier than expected..

« Reply #168 on: August 08, 2014, 04:17:16 PM »

ah okey, i guess some doctors are more conservative and want to avoid the risk of the bone bending, so they dont allow you to remove the frame until it is fully consolidated..(at least it seems to be the case with Bagirovs clinic).

Maybe just maybe i will be done at the end of this month when i take my next x-rays.. at that point i will have worn the frames for 6 months and i did 4.3 cm...

Maybe they can give me some cast or braces for my legs if i remove them a little earlier than expected..

Yeah, after frame removal you have to wear a cast for a 1-2 weeks until you are good to go. Btw you should use more supplements, maybe you can accelerate your consolidation. Take vitamin D, protein shakes with all the amino-acids, and something called Ossopan (google it). Also try cacao powders which contain all the vitamins and minerals, they surely have those in russia. 

Wannabegiant

« Reply #169 on: August 08, 2014, 04:22:22 PM »

Yeah, after frame removal you have to wear a cast for a 1-2 weeks until you are good to go. Btw you should use more supplements, maybe you can accelerate your consolidation. Take vitamin D, protein shakes with all the amino-acids, and something called Ossopan (google it). Also try cacao powders which contain all the vitamins and minerals, they surely have those in russia.

Okey yeah it would feel safer walking with the cast after frame removal so thats good.

I have been taking vitamin D and calcium supplements every day since the surgery day. I also took zink for a while and another supplement called Ostegenon (i guess this is similar to ossopan), which is some kind of russian brand supplement for bone regen, i still take that one although i ran out temporarily, so for 2 months of the whole thing i didnt take it, but i bought more.

I also take protein shakes although i started quite late with it, but before that i ate yoghurt with extra protein ever morning

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #170 on: August 08, 2014, 04:27:37 PM »

hi KILOKAHN here me again....glad you had a good sleep for awhile, i read WANNABEGIANTS diary he is doing with dr bagirov, i noticed that he get blood thinner prescribed by the dr for cheap (as he wrote)...from information on internet blood cloth is one of most dangerous complication that can occur with this kind of surgery as it can caused deep vein trombosys. have you discuss this with dr mangal? want to know why he doesnt prescribed this to you..may be he has another reason though....

I asked Dr Parihar about the risk of deep vein thrombosis and if I need to have blood thinners. He said that he gives blood thinners to some of his patients but he doesn't think I need it. He said it's theoretically possible that I could get it, but if I continue doing my physiotherapy exercises and keep using the walker then he doesn't see a risk of it. According to him the ankle exercises and knee flexing exercises are taught first right after surgery in order to minimize the DVT risk. It's primarily a concern if you're always immobile and don't do any of your physiotherapy. That's when you would need to take blood thinners.

« Reply #171 on: August 08, 2014, 05:08:44 PM »

Okey yeah it would feel safer walking with the cast after frame removal so thats good.

I have been taking vitamin D and calcium supplements every day since the surgery day. I also took zink for a while and another supplement called Ostegenon (i guess this is similar to ossopan), which is some kind of russian brand supplement for bone regen, i still take that one although i ran out temporarily, so for 2 months of the whole thing i didnt take it, but i bought more.

I also take protein shakes although i started quite late with it, but before that i ate yoghurt with extra protein ever morning

Ahh, then you have to wait i guess  :D

Wannabegiant

« Reply #172 on: August 08, 2014, 05:21:49 PM »

Ahh, then you have to wait i guess  :D

Btw, sent you a PM  :P

Overdozer

« Reply #173 on: August 08, 2014, 07:02:50 PM »

2 months usually for 5cm and another 2 months of consildation and few weeks with a cast. That's the numbers they gave me. The bone isn't fully healed, but allows weight bearing, obviously if you fall you will break it, so you have to be careful.
Pre-surgery - 167 cm, Post-surgery - 181 cm
Final arm span - 177 cm, Sitting height - 90 cm

Lengthened 7.5 cm in tibias and femurs and 3.5 cm in each humerus. Surgeries performed all external by Dr. Kulesh, in Saint-Petersburg, Russia - http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=1671.0

yudha

• Visitor
« Reply #174 on: August 08, 2014, 10:19:26 PM »

thanks KILO....next time you visit dr parihar can you ask him or discuss about compartment syndrome and fat embolism...this is another dangerous complication that  i want to address before decide to choose surgeon or method of surgery...i mean is he ever face this with his patients? i mean if you can please talk about this in detailed, such as how he know that his patient got this complication and how he address such a thing...another thing i want to know is whether i could do blood donor in his hospital for the purpose of blood transfusion if needed during surgery as i just want my own blood for transfusion...again thanks KILO...

Wannabegiant

« Reply #175 on: August 09, 2014, 01:22:17 AM »

2 months usually for 5cm and another 2 months of consildation and few weeks with a cast. That's the numbers they gave me. The bone isn't fully healed, but allows weight bearing, obviously if you fall you will break it, so you have to be careful.

very interesting, i think i should definitely be able to remove my frames at the end of august then if i wear a cast, even though my doctor in Russia might think i should wait longer.. My swedish doctor seems to think i dont have much time left at least.

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #176 on: August 13, 2014, 03:49:02 PM »

Update: 8/13/2014
Most things have been going well so far so there hasn't been much to write about lately. Though I still can't walk at all without support from a walker (as to be expected) it's gotten easier. I think I've just gotten used to my legs feeling heavy and learned how to walk without making sudden movements that cause pain. The swelling in my legs has gone down allowing more room between my legs and the fixators and there hasn't been any significant stretching pain from distraction. However I now finally have some skin tearing pain on the furthest left wire closest to the knee on my right leg. The skin that Dr Parihar cut out around the wire during surgery finally closed up around it and because there's more movement near the knee there's now skin tearing. It's a constant stinging irritation and I have to keep my leg at just the right position or it will start stinging again. Maybe that's something I'll point out to the doctor during my next visit if it's still a problem.

I got tired of constantly eating South Indian food so I finally ordered Domino's and was happy that it was in the style of the pizza back home and not just a circular piece of naan with shredded cheese on top like the hotel pizza. Price was a little over $15 USD for what I got. The last few days I've slept throughout most of the day and now have sleep drunkenness - you know that hangover-like feeling you get from sleeping too much. Trying to wake myself up now.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #177 on: August 13, 2014, 09:05:19 PM »

Glad things are getting easier for you Kilo.  The skin tearing issue is starting to remind me of the dark side of my time in Beijing (the pain!) which are the first memories to fade.  The plan they had was just to let it tear and hurt rather than doing anything about it.  I wanted them to cut and sew my pinsite tears as they needed it, but they wouldn't do it.  Maybe doing nothing is the most advisable form of treatment.  It'll be interesting to hear what Dr. Parihar says.

TRS

« Reply #178 on: August 14, 2014, 08:17:25 PM »

Hey Kilo!
Do you at times consider getting internal nails locked in once you reach you lengthening target and not keep the frames on for the entire duration?
Would Dr.Parihar allow nailing if one considers to remove the frame since I read that the fixator is placed is differently for LATN and pure externals?

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #179 on: August 14, 2014, 08:34:37 PM »

Hey Kilo!
Do you at times consider getting internal nails locked in once you reach you lengthening target and not keep the frames on for the entire duration?
Would Dr.Parihar allow nailing if one considers to remove the frame since I read that the fixator is placed is differently for LATN and pure externals?

I'm committed to wearing the frames for the duration required. I'd prefer to keep it as minimally inasive as possible for tibias. Dr Parihar did say that I could choose to have nails put in at a later date if I decided though.

alps

« Reply #180 on: August 17, 2014, 05:45:21 AM »

Good job KiloKahn! Keep strong!!

LowerVilliers

« Reply #181 on: August 17, 2014, 05:48:28 PM »

Great diary KiloKAHN! This is helping everyone.

I am from UK and am thinking of doing LL externals LON in India, with one of the Doctors KiloKAHN had consultation with.

My aim is 7.5 tibia.

Would like to do this in JANUARY, with someone who also wants to do a LL procedure there.

Anyone interested?

yudha

• Visitor
« Reply #182 on: August 19, 2014, 11:57:22 PM »

hi kilo...so far it seem everything is ok with the surgery...this encourage me more to do this, do you doing routine physio? how many a week? and how much is it cost you a month?

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #183 on: August 20, 2014, 05:16:27 AM »

Good job KiloKahn! Keep strong!!

Thanks. Easier to do so these days because I haven't had any complications yet, not even a minor one. Hopefully it stays that way for the duration of treatment.

hi kilo...so far it seem everything is ok with the surgery...this encourage me more to do this, do you doing routine physio? how many a week? and how much is it cost you a month?

Physiotherapy exercises are taught to you in the hospital and while there you have two physio sessions per day. Those sessions are included in the payment to Dr Parihar. When you're discharged you're expected to do the exercises on your own a few times a day. Dr Parihar can arrange for one of the physiotherapists to come visit you at the place you stay and help with the exercises if you request it, but I didn't find it necessary. I get a new set of x-rays and a check up by Dr Parihar and Dr Divya once every two weeks and after the check up they may have you do a physio session downstairs with the physiotherapist or you can request one if they don't tell you to go for a session. I haven't been charged a separate price for physiotherapy but during each check up you still have to pay a fee at the front desk and if there is a physio charge then it's included in that fee. The x-ray and checkup costs aren't really expensive. I paid 2700 INR in total cost for the previous two visits to the hospital, which would be a cost of around $45 USD a month.

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #184 on: August 20, 2014, 08:19:41 PM »

I just slipped off the step leading into the bathroom and fell backward while holding onto the walker. Bumped my head on the wall behind me before my body slid to the floor. Holy balls was the pain in my tibias enormous for a while. I checked them out and took some steps, stood for a bit also, so I think they're okay. Going to just scoot into the bathroom from now on though.

Taller

« Reply #185 on: August 20, 2014, 10:26:52 PM »

If it was a pretty hard fall, try to make sure you didn't sustain a concussion as soon as possible! That could be extremely dangerous if present and not addressed by a doctor, especially since your body was already under a lot of stress.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 33   Go Up