Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 33   Go Down

Author Topic: No More Mal-Kahn-Tent - External Tibias - Dr Parihar  (Read 418296 times)

Re: No More Mal-Kahn-Tent - External Tibias - Dr Parihar
« Reply #341 on: November 27, 2014, 06:56:13 PM »

Well this sucks major balls. That's why shouldn't tell anybody. Now you will be known as the crazy guy who broke his legs to get taller.

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #342 on: November 27, 2014, 08:18:25 PM »

Mums will be mums, sorry about that.
I'll be staying in India for the whole process to avoid this as people tend to come over our place frequently
Did you tell her and the rest of your family to keep it a secret? This is one of the reasons why I wont be telling my family why Im going to India, will let them know when they pick me up at the airport and see me in a wheelchair lol. I would imagine my mother to be the exact replica of yours, she has a habit of telling her friends random things too.

How did the daughter react when she saw you again knowing you lied earlier? Did she say anything?

I'd also like to ask regarding the hotel you stayed at, I read about most of the things you had to say but if you were to go back for your femurs and did it in India would you stay there again? Was the vegetarian food ok? What about the staff? Were they ok with you being disabled and staying in your room all the time? Did they ask questions regarding the frame?
I plan on staying there too if they give me the same discount

Thanks

Out of the three people I told about it the only one who said anything to anyone else was my mom. She swore up and down that she wouldn't say anything to anyone and then last night in the car her friend's daughter says "That sucks you have to wear those for so long, I wish I was taller too". When she and my sister had gone into the store for a bit I pressed my mom for information and then she admitted how many people she told about it. I didn't realize that she was such a huge gossip. It's amazing that I can trust a friend from school with this information more than I could trust my own mother. Anyway, I'm not too upset about it because I was prepared for the possibility that it might be found out by some people, but I'd rather have had them figure it out on their own instead of finding out my mom betrayed my trust like that.

Hotel Maharana was cool. I never got hot because of the big ceiling fan and powerful air conditioner, and the HDTV on the wall was pretty big. Not all the staff spoke English but there were three managers there and one or two people who brought food in that knew English pretty well. But they were all helpful with getting me to Dr Parihar's clinic and helping me back in my room. The only things that were irritating were the step leading into the bathroom that made getting in there by walking difficult (I found it easier just to scoot into it on the floor) and the elevator was a little small so it took a lot of experimentation to fit inside it on the wheelchair. Vegetarian menu had some pretty good items. The tawa mushroom and naan was great. If you get tired of veg food though they have a non-veg section on the menu and you can get those meals within minutes because they order them from a hotel right next door. If I went back for another round of lengthening I might look for another hotel just so I could experience a new setting for the months required, but I wouldn't mind staying there again based on my experience the first time around.

Rule 1 of LL: you do not talk about LL

I don't think I would have been able to keep it a secret from my parents anyway because of how I ended up having to do the bank transfer into Dr Parihar's account. I don't think I could trust anyone else to go on a joint account with me and transfer a large sum of money without taking any of it. In hindsight I could have just told my stepfather and I would have been better off.

ah dude! you should have made it crystal clear to your mom about this!
that's what I'll do. Tell my family again and again and again and again and again and again to NOT tell anyone.

That's what I did and only the guys I told listened. It seems like women are more inclined to spill out a secret because they get together and talk for hours about all sorts of things.

Well this sucks major balls. That's why shouldn't tell anybody. Now you will be known as the crazy guy who broke his legs to get taller.

Yep. Though it's primarily people I don't even see or talk to that know about it. At least all the people I hang out with and see often are oblivious to my current situation.
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

GeTs

« Reply #343 on: November 27, 2014, 09:49:24 PM »

Don't hate ur mother, just learn to never tell her anything

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #344 on: December 01, 2014, 06:51:28 AM »

Update: 11/30/2014
Thanksgiving ended up not being bad at all. My aunt was supportive of my decision to get CLL because she spoke to a surgeon about it at her hospital (she's a nurse) and he informed her about how the process works, which quelled her concerns. I showed her and two cousins a LON surgery video on Dr Parihar's YT channel and the reaction from my cousins (one who's an EMT) was "Man you've got balls." They were concerned about how much the frames look like they would constantly have me in pain, but they were also supportive and didn't make fun of it or criticize me at all.

In other news, my equinus seemed to have lessened again overnight. After a minute or less of doing standing calf raises my feet were completely neutral and touching the floor. I'll try walking from my room to the living room in the next few days. If I can do it successfully then I'll post a video of it.

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #345 on: December 10, 2014, 07:30:22 PM »

Was gonna post my latest x-rays but my Kaiser Permanente insurance is stupid and they won't e-mail them to me. My ortho said he's not allowed to just e-mail me my x-rays and that I have to call the radiology department. When I called they said I had to pick up the x-rays after they notify me that they're ready. So in order to send x-ray updates to Dr Parihar I have to pick up the physical copy every five weeks or so and I guess scan them to the computer to send through e-mail. Total pain in the ass.

ShortyMcShort

« Reply #346 on: December 11, 2014, 09:48:42 AM »

How are they looking Kilo? Any progress from the last xray?

Hows your walking atm? Using support?

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #347 on: December 12, 2014, 10:41:03 PM »

Update: 12/12/2014
X-rays from December 2, 2014. Ortho says it's healing really well. The fibulas don't have as much regenerate showing as the tibias, but my ortho said the fibulas usually take longer to consolidate.

I'm able to walk, but I've got this pain and slight inflammation just below the right knee that makes walking a bit painful. Ortho said it's due to having the frames on for so long and the pain likely won't go away until I remove them.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 11:03:56 PM by KiloKAHN »

ReadRothbard

« Reply #348 on: December 13, 2014, 06:13:11 AM »

What a mean comment. You're suggesting that, just because he'll never be subjectively "tall" according to you, he should just give up. Well, news flash: not everyone is as lucky/narcissistic as you to start LL at average height. You have no idea what 5'5 people have to put up with through no fault of their own. LL is not about beauty for them, it's about being treated fairly. Honestly, I think that there should be a "social rights movement" for shorter folks. Surely you'll agree that Kilo will be treated better at 5'7 than 5'5. I know that I'd take being 5'7 over 5'5 any day without a doubt. I know at least ten times more 5'7 people than 5'5 people, so, Kilokahn, I honestly feel that you'll be much more normal looking at 5'7. Your height will no longer stand out, it will just look slightly bellow average but perfectly normal and common. Don't let the haters grind you down  8)

Pretty much exactly. I'm a little less than 5'7, and I've never been called short before. Those two inches can make a big difference.
“If you're afraid - don't do it, - if you're doing it - don't be afraid!” ― Genghis Khan

172 cm in the morning (67.8"); 170 cm (67”) at night; Sitting Height: 96 cm (37.8”); Goal: 184.5 cm (6'0.7"); Ultimate Goal: 192 cm (6’3.5) morning height, 190 cm (6’3) “night” height
Future space tycoon

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #349 on: December 13, 2014, 06:33:19 AM »

If I grew up in India I wouldn't even want CLL. At my pre-op height I felt entirely average to the point where I didn't understand some of the patients in India who felt they needed to gain 10 cm in their lengthening quest. Even Dr Dhawan thought I was a good enough height to not need CLL. Dr Parihar is like 6'2 and looks totally huge compared to everyone else in his pictures unless he's standing next to a European, at which point he looks a little above average.

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #350 on: December 16, 2014, 09:19:25 PM »

So Doc Parihar wants me to start walking with crutches now. A bit nervous in transitioning to crutches from the Zimmer frame. Would hate the thought of falling again. What's it feel like walking with crutches while wearing frames? Does it feel stable or does it feel as if you're going to topple over like a tree?

« Reply #351 on: December 16, 2014, 10:07:36 PM »

So Doc Parihar wants me to start walking with crutches now. A bit nervous in transitioning to crutches from the Zimmer frame. Would hate the thought of falling again. What's it feel like walking with crutches while wearing frames? Does it feel stable or does it feel as if you're going to topple over like a tree?

I had big problems with walking with crutches first. I would take it step by step 5 min in afternoon and 5 minutes in the evening and ask for someone to stand next to you in case you will fall (which you won't but you will be thinking about falling a lot while starting to walk with crutches  ;D). Then you will get used to it, and remember left crutch, right leg, right crutch, left leg and keep your back straight and try to not look on the ground.

After 3-4 days of "training" you will walk like champ, just concentrate on your movements and everything will be alright.

ItsMyLife

« Reply #352 on: December 17, 2014, 02:41:19 AM »

I had big problems with walking with crutches first. I would take it step by step 5 min in afternoon and 5 minutes in the evening and ask for someone to stand next to you in case you will fall (which you won't but you will be thinking about falling a lot while starting to walk with crutches  ;D). Then you will get used to it, and remember left crutch, right leg, right crutch, left leg and keep your back straight and try to not look on the ground.

After 3-4 days of "training" you will walk like champ, just concentrate on your movements and everything will be alright.

so left crutch as support, right leg move forward. now right crutch as support, left leg move forward???

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #353 on: January 09, 2015, 07:34:10 PM »

Update: 1/9/2014
Just picked up my dicom images from the medical records office, so I posted the most recent set of x-rays. I had them taken on 12/30/2014 before I saw my orthopedist's assistant (usual ortho was at a seminar or something). He decided to check all of my pin sites for infection and took off all the dressings. No infections, but the skin had stretched more underneath one of the pins, leaving a lot more ooze when I clean it. Two people who worked in the hospital changed my dressings for me. Turns out they like to cover the gauze in antibacterial soap and wrap it around each individual pin as opposed to using boiled and cooled water and scrubbing each pin and wire from all directions as I've been doing. The ortho assistant told me to come back in six weeks and he and my usual ortho will have a plan ready for when they think I should get my frames removed. I think my insurance is going to cover removal, so I don't have to fly all the way back to Mumbai for that fortunately. I'll still wait for the okay to have my frames removed from Dr Parihar before I let my local ortho do it though.

The frames have become much more annoying recently. As the muscles continue to atrophy over time the pain from walking continues to increase, particularly below my knees. It's also become more difficult to go to sleep, reminiscent of my lengthening days. I've been drinking hot tea or whiskey to help knock me out. I guess my body is signaling that it's sick of wearing these things. Right now the worst part is that because my mom is out of town for a week I have to stay at a friend's house, and it's not at all handicap friendly. The bathroom is far from the living room where I have to sleep and there are two sets of large steps that I have to go down in between. I'm exhausted by the time I go to the restroom and back.

Consolidation progress just over 6 months after my initial surgery (lengthened 6.2 cm).

GeTs

« Reply #354 on: January 09, 2015, 07:44:40 PM »

You should have 2-3 more months left, by the way did the doctor tell you that u're doing well in terms of consolidation?

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #355 on: January 09, 2015, 08:35:04 PM »

Looks like he's doing quite well in terms of consolidation, but I think 2-3 months is a little too optimistic.  Alignment looks good though.

ItsMyLife

« Reply #356 on: January 09, 2015, 10:14:37 PM »

Out of the three people I told about it the only one who said anything to anyone else was my mom. She swore up and down that she wouldn't say anything to anyone and then last night in the car her friend's daughter says "That sucks you have to wear those for so long, I wish I was taller too". When she and my sister had gone into the store for a bit I pressed my mom for information and then she admitted how many people she told about it. I didn't realize that she was such a huge gossip. It's amazing that I can trust a friend from school with this information more than I could trust my own mother. Anyway, I'm not too upset about it because I was prepared for the possibility that it might be found out by some people, but I'd rather have had them figure it out on their own instead of finding out my mom betrayed my trust like that.

Hotel Maharana was cool. I never got hot because of the big ceiling fan and powerful air conditioner, and the HDTV on the wall was pretty big. Not all the staff spoke English but there were three managers there and one or two people who brought food in that knew English pretty well. But they were all helpful with getting me to Dr Parihar's clinic and helping me back in my room. The only things that were irritating were the step leading into the bathroom that made getting in there by walking difficult (I found it easier just to scoot into it on the floor) and the elevator was a little small so it took a lot of experimentation to fit inside it on the wheelchair. Vegetarian menu had some pretty good items. The tawa mushroom and naan was great. If you get tired of veg food though they have a non-veg section on the menu and you can get those meals within minutes because they order them from a hotel right next door. If I went back for another round of lengthening I might look for another hotel just so I could experience a new setting for the months required, but I wouldn't mind staying there again based on my experience the first time around.

I don't think I would have been able to keep it a secret from my parents anyway because of how I ended up having to do the bank transfer into Dr Parihar's account. I don't think I could trust anyone else to go on a joint account with me and transfer a large sum of money without taking any of it. In hindsight I could have just told my stepfather and I would have been better off.

That's what I did and only the guys I told listened. It seems like women are more inclined to spill out a secret because they get together and talk for hours about all sorts of things.

Yep. Though it's primarily people I don't even see or talk to that know about it. At least all the people I hang out with and see often are oblivious to my current situation.

maybe it is difficult to tell lies .... and some people just have bigger mouths. dont worry about it. she means no harm....

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #357 on: January 10, 2015, 08:08:29 PM »

You should have 2-3 more months left, by the way did the doctor tell you that u're doing well in terms of consolidation?

He said my bone healing shows good progress but the x-rays point out changes at the knee which indicate that I haven't been doing enough exercises. He suggested I get a physiotherapist through my local orthopedist for helping with ROM of the knee, muscle strengthening, ankle stretching and weight bearing ambulation training.

crimsontide

« Reply #358 on: January 10, 2015, 09:42:30 PM »

kilom,

regarding infections... do you shower every day?? would keep the pin sites clean...

dr rozbruch is the one that let me know its ok to shower if you have frames on

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #359 on: January 10, 2015, 10:01:27 PM »

I get in the shower every three days. I sit in the bathtub and turn the shower on, getting the frames wet and everything. For the first two days I just get a bowl and a washcloth and scrub myself so I don't get the dressings wet. I haven't been getting infections so far. I've had a couple minor infections on a pinsite or two before, but I just take oral antibiotics for a few days and continue to clean the infected pin, and the infection goes away pretty fast.

ForcedPuberty

« Reply #360 on: January 11, 2015, 06:54:08 AM »

He said my bone healing shows good progress but the x-rays point out changes at the knee which indicate that I haven't been doing enough exercises.

what kind of changes?

also forgive me if it has been answered but I am curious. does pariah pin down the top and bottom of the fibula or just the bottom?

thank you. and I wish you a speedy recovery.
Nope, 20cm is just nope.

"because FP's the hero LL Forum deserves, but not the one is needs right now. So we'll hunt him, because he can take it. because hes not the hero. He's a silent gardian, watchfull protector. The Dark Knight."

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #361 on: January 11, 2015, 07:51:14 AM »

I'll ask him what specific changes in the x-ray when I e-mail him with the pictures of my pin sites that he wanted. Though I think he can tell from the x-ray that the muscle atrophied.

Dr Parihar fixates the fibula at both the proximal and distal ends.

OregonMade

« Reply #362 on: January 15, 2015, 11:22:32 PM »

How much money did you have saved up before you decided to go.  I'll have about 17,000 dollars saved up.  Do you think that would be enough for a seven month stay.  and for the operation. 

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #363 on: January 16, 2015, 12:18:51 AM »

How much money did you have saved up before you decided to go.  I'll have about 17,000 dollars saved up.  Do you think that would be enough for a seven month stay.  and for the operation.

I had around $25,000 saved up and I spent pretty close to that. With the current exchange rate, the cost of surgery would be $14,530. Then you'd have to spend roughly $1,500 per month for hotel accommodation/food in Mumbai. So that's around $21,500. Add maybe $500 total for the purchase of a walker and a wheelchair. You also have to purchase your own gauze dressings. I was caught off guard by how expensive they were at the pharmacy downstairs near the hospital - 600 INR/$11.30 per box! And each box lasts two days if you change your dressings every day like Dr Parihar wants you to. So that's another $170 per month/$680 for 4 months. I'd recommend bringing a bunch of gauze with you on the way over there. You can buy large boxes of them from Dollar Tree online and it comes out much cheaper, and they can all fit in your suitcase well if you take them out of the box and just bring them in the small packages covering the gauze.

With $17,000 you won't be able to afford Dr Parihar if you include all the extra costs. However, I think you'll have enough money to afford Dr Dhawan in New Delhi, who has worked with Dr Parihar before and is ASAMI certified/secretary of Limb Lengthening Society of India. He's $9,000 - $10,000 for surgery and hospital stay, depending on whether you choose exfix or LON, and hotels in Delhi are much cheaper for extended stay. There's a Hotel Indira nearby that said extended stays could be $22 daily or around $660 per month, breakfast and wifi included. There are a bunch of hotels which give discounts to Sir Ganga Ram Hospital patients, where Dr Dhawan performs his surgeries. So you could probably find a bunch of hotels there that are rather affordable.

TomD

• Private
« Reply #364 on: January 16, 2015, 07:44:52 AM »

With $17,000 you won't be able to afford Dr Parihar if you include all the extra costs. However, think you'll have enough money to afford Dr Dhawan in New Delhi, who has workIed with Dr Parihar before and is ASAMI certified/secretary of Limb Lengthening Society of India. He's $9,000 - $10,000 for surgery and hospital stay, depending on whether you choose exfix or LON, and hotels in Delhi are much cheaper for extended stay. There's a Hotel Indira nearby that said extended stays could be $22 daily or around $660 per month, breakfast and wifi included. There are a bunch of hotels which give discounts to Sir Ganga Ram Hospital patients, where Dr Dhawan performs his surgeries. So you could probably find a bunch of hotels there that are rather affordable.

This is good info Khan. Thanks for this. I will look into Dr Parihar

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #365 on: January 19, 2015, 01:45:11 AM »

Today I tried walking with crutches the first time. As I moved my left crutch I guess I lost balance or something and I fell on my ass. Had a ton of pain below the knees after the fall where the muscles are weak from atrophy. My legs still feel just as weak as they did during the middle of the lengthening process. Times like this I think maybe I should have gone with LON.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #366 on: January 19, 2015, 02:16:12 AM »

Today I tried walking with crutches the first time. As I moved my left crutch I guess I lost balance or something and I fell on my ass. Had a ton of pain below the knees after the fall where the muscles are weak from atrophy. My legs still feel just as weak as they did during the middle of the lengthening process. Times like this I think maybe I should have gone with LON.

That exact same thing happened to me when I first tried to use crutches, about 5 1/2 months after the initial surgery.

ForcedPuberty

« Reply #367 on: January 19, 2015, 02:56:07 AM »

I recommend eating lots of protein, I eat a massive amount of chicken and milk and I have not lost any weight during my LL.

fingers crossed that it continues :)
Nope, 20cm is just nope.

"because FP's the hero LL Forum deserves, but not the one is needs right now. So we'll hunt him, because he can take it. because hes not the hero. He's a silent gardian, watchfull protector. The Dark Knight."

ItsMyLife

« Reply #368 on: January 19, 2015, 08:12:21 AM »

I recommend eating lots of protein, I eat a massive amount of chicken and milk and I have not lost any weight during my LL.

fingers crossed that it continues :)

if ur fit u might gain weight (fat)
i think i gained 2-3 kilograms

ReadRothbard

« Reply #369 on: January 19, 2015, 05:56:54 PM »

This is probably what is happening.
“If you're afraid - don't do it, - if you're doing it - don't be afraid!” ― Genghis Khan

172 cm in the morning (67.8"); 170 cm (67”) at night; Sitting Height: 96 cm (37.8”); Goal: 184.5 cm (6'0.7"); Ultimate Goal: 192 cm (6’3.5) morning height, 190 cm (6’3) “night” height
Future space tycoon

ForcedPuberty

« Reply #370 on: January 19, 2015, 07:05:14 PM »

if ur fit u might gain weight (fat)
i think i gained 2-3 kilograms

nope its not fat. I stopped the gym for the last 2 years so that I could focus on this surgery. and I didn't loose any weight either after 2 years. I still have my 8 pack abbs.

I thought I would loose weight when I did LL, but again nope I did not. it surprised the doctor, the doctor said everyone looses weight.

I am a true mesomorph. I gain very fast in the gym and loose next to nothing even if I stop.

how much do you lift in the gym readrothbard?

anyway. kilokhan. how are you finding steps?

I found that steps initially were very difficult, but I kept going up and down them regardless, and after 4 weeks steps were easy. conversely other people thought steps were too hard and then stopped going up and down them during lengthening and so it continued to be a problem for them. I think the best advice is to make sure your body practices the correct biomechanics for whatever function you want it to perform, if you want to have no problem going up and down steps, then you have to do that exercise specifically, no other form of exercise will seem to fix it, it will only strengthen your other daily life functions I have found. in short, if you don't use it you loose it (for the specific exercise) :) 

Nope, 20cm is just nope.

ReadRothbard

« Reply #371 on: January 20, 2015, 01:33:51 AM »

Worksets are 335 deadlift (fives), 200 bench press (fives), and 260 squat (fives).

Future space tycoon
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 33   Go Up