Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: what happen if u get infection?  (Read 1333 times)

redwedding

Re: what happen if u get infection?
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2021, 07:50:33 AM »

Best you do your own research and ask proper doctors rather than ask people on this board. I’m not a doctor. Yes there are tests to detect infection but those tests can be skewed by injury, ie, broken bone.

I have a feeling you’re not familiar with precise or Stryde.

Precise is the old version of Stryde.

Why would you get precise over Stryde when Stryde has improvements over precise?

I said it’s possible to get osteolysis with either one of the nails because they have moving parts inside, it’s not a straight up piece of metal, there’s moving parts.

Even if you had a regular IM nail in your leg, you want to keep it there forever? Really?

No right? Once you’re healed get the foreign objects out.

I highly suggest you ask these medical questions to actual doctors. There is only so much I can tell you from personal experience

And if you don’t know the difference between Stryde and precise, read more, this forum has that info as well as google. If I was able to google and find info on Stryde you can too.

dear marathonrunner,

first of all, I know very well the difference between the precice and stryde.  I have spoken to the doctors and seen interviews on Youtube. stryde is stainless steel and precice is titanium. The stryde is supposed to be an upgrade BUT it has problems. Do you call a new nail with problems as an upgrade?

nails are not supposed to cause the osteolysis. Its not normal. That is what Nuvasive is researching. It doesn't happen to all the patients but it happens in some.

Will I leave the trauma surgery nail in my body? Maybe, if doesn't bother me. my grandmother has trauma nail in her tibia and he will not remove it. the doctor said O.K. Its not abnormal to leave trauma nail until death. many foreign objects are left for 15 years like knee and hip replacements. People who have the trauma nail debate about removing it or not. but with stryde you are ordered to remove it.

The stryde is being ordered for removal after 1 year because 1 it as the rare earth magnet and it has osteolysis. That is the reason.

So upgrade does not mean = better. they have recalled the upgraded nail for a very good reason. until they have not released it back we know it's not safe. in fact Paley has said they may do some fixes to the stryde nail if it has the safety problems. So today the stryde nail is not recommended. even if you want the stryde, you cannot get it because it is withdrawed. this must say something about it.

the precice doesn't cause the osteolysis. It has been used since 10 years and is used in the whole world in thousands of limbs (my doctor said 20.000). It does not cause the osteolysis. only stryde causes the osteolysis. the moving parts is not the only reason to cause osteolysis because even the precice also has the moving parts.

and for consulting with the doctors I have done this with 4 doctors but there is so much of information to gather. In the 40 minutes consultation 5 minutes are for introducing why I want the lengthening, 5 minutes is for doctor introduction to the operation. Then I ask many questions and for this the doctors give information in unstructured way.

I strongly feel that the patient community should enrich themselves with the information. Patients can freely speak to eachother without any fear or hesitance.

it is not right for patients to ask to others to review each others medical situation like "guys I am feeling breathless should I go the emergency room or sleep it out" but pre operation its best that the community of patients know the basics of risks well. I have seen that the doctors are very happy when the patients have done their thorough research.

one more thing marathonrunner, I have seen that the doctors become impatient while answer such questions. One has asked to me "are you a phd medical student that you are asking these questions".

I personally do not like that only after doing the paid consultation that some patients gain understanding of this procedure. This operation is already very expensive for people to afford but atleast for gaining he knowledge it should be free.

I feel surprised that so many patients have undergone this operation without knowing these basic questions

- what happens if you get deep bone infection?
- what is the cause of the pulmonary embolism? if you suspect it should you continue the lengthening or should you wait till your results are announced.
- what % of people who develop the deep veins thrombosis develop the pulmonary embolism

look at how well the people are educated about the covid today. If the similar understanding was there about the serious nature of this operation I think it would be good.

cheers,
sergio
If deep bone infection and the pulmonary embolism was not a risk I will do this operation tomorrow!

marathonrunner

« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2021, 09:25:04 AM »

dear marathonrunner,

first of all, I know very well the difference between the precice and stryde.  I have spoken to the doctors and seen interviews on Youtube. stryde is stainless steel and precice is titanium. The stryde is supposed to be an upgrade BUT it has problems. Do you call a new nail with problems as an upgrade?

nails are not supposed to cause the osteolysis. Its not normal. That is what Nuvasive is researching. It doesn't happen to all the patients but it happens in some.

Will I leave the trauma surgery nail in my body? Maybe, if doesn't bother me. my grandmother has trauma nail in her tibia and he will not remove it. the doctor said O.K. Its not abnormal to leave trauma nail until death. many foreign objects are left for 15 years like knee and hip replacements. People who have the trauma nail debate about removing it or not. but with stryde you are ordered to remove it.

The stryde is being ordered for removal after 1 year because 1 it as the rare earth magnet and it has osteolysis. That is the reason.

So upgrade does not mean = better. they have recalled the upgraded nail for a very good reason. until they have not released it back we know it's not safe. in fact Paley has said they may do some fixes to the stryde nail if it has the safety problems. So today the stryde nail is not recommended. even if you want the stryde, you cannot get it because it is withdrawed. this must say something about it.

the precice doesn't cause the osteolysis. It has been used since 10 years and is used in the whole world in thousands of limbs (my doctor said 20.000). It does not cause the osteolysis. only stryde causes the osteolysis. the moving parts is not the only reason to cause osteolysis because even the precice also has the moving parts.

and for consulting with the doctors I have done this with 4 doctors but there is so much of information to gather. In the 40 minutes consultation 5 minutes are for introducing why I want the lengthening, 5 minutes is for doctor introduction to the operation. Then I ask many questions and for this the doctors give information in unstructured way.

I strongly feel that the patient community should enrich themselves with the information. Patients can freely speak to eachother without any fear or hesitance.

it is not right for patients to ask to others to review each others medical situation like "guys I am feeling breathless should I go the emergency room or sleep it out" but pre operation its best that the community of patients know the basics of risks well. I have seen that the doctors are very happy when the patients have done their thorough research.

one more thing marathonrunner, I have seen that the doctors become impatient while answer such questions. One has asked to me "are you a phd medical student that you are asking these questions".

I personally do not like that only after doing the paid consultation that some patients gain understanding of this procedure. This operation is already very expensive for people to afford but atleast for gaining he knowledge it should be free.

I feel surprised that so many patients have undergone this operation without knowing these basic questions

- what is the cause of the pulmonary embolism? if you suspect it should you continue the lengthening or should you wait till your results are announced.
- what % of people who develop the deep veins thrombosis develop the pulmonary embolism

look at how well the people are educated about the covid today. If the similar understanding was there about the serious nature of this operation I think it would be good.

cheers,
sergio

In terms of covid, doubt you can compare the two. Covid was a global pandemic with doctors providing information from several countries, journalists covering it and even then there was tons of misinformation. LL is an aesthetic surgery where most people on this board are not doctors. I highly doubt the "expertise" we have here compares to the expertise from the covid pandemic.

Well if you are able to find answers to those questions do help provide them. I for one have no idea and don't have the time to figure out all the answers with a high degree of accuracy. If you’re looking for such detailed technical questions like what % of people who develop ___ develop ___ ask away here (or google it, I don't see why google won't be able to answer such a specific question that you have) and see what answers you get, then do your research and see if those answers provided by forum members are actually valid and go ahead and fact check and provide your findings with as much accuracy as you can muster. Because in my humble opinion, information coming from non medical professionals still need to get fact checked because we aren't medical professionals (especially for the highly technical questions you have, if you ask about the general idea of how I fixed my infection, I can give you a broad outline but for your very technical questions, no idea bro), if you want to spend the time to fact check and provide all that information great, that helps us all out greatly. Great for you. Love the attitude. Keep it up.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 10:11:10 AM by marathonrunner »

marathonrunner

« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2021, 09:31:24 AM »

dear marathonrunner,

cheers,
sergio

Next time when you send messages, try not to order people around to do what you want.

I’m not your employee.

Not sure why you private messaged me to tell me to update my infection status.

It wasn’t even a question asking me, it’s a “please update your status” like a boss sending an employee an email.

dear marathonrunner

kindly provide an update on your infection status on your forum thread

cheers,
sergio

redwedding

« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2021, 09:58:21 AM »

Next time when you send messages, try not to order people around to do what you want.

I’m not your employee.

Not sure why you private messaged me to tell me to update my infection status.

It wasn’t even a question asking me, it’s a “please update your status” like a boss sending an employee an email.

dear marathonrunner

kindly provide an update on your infection status on your forum thread

cheers,
sergio

sorry marathonrunner

I translate from my language to english when I write and I am sorry if I came as rude. I was not ordering you and it was a request. I have seen "kindly" used for making polite requests so I am sorry if it wasn't correct. thank you for your contribution.

sergio
If deep bone infection and the pulmonary embolism was not a risk I will do this operation tomorrow!

BelowTheMean

« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2021, 07:32:38 PM »

Just FYI, Stryde is still an upgrade from Precice even with the problems it has. If it was currently available for installation, I bet 99% of people would still take it over Precice. Doing the surgery with Precice is probably straight up torture compared to doing it with Stryde.
Stryde Femurs - Debiparshad - Nov 2020
Nail Removal - Downey - Apr 2022
Journal (169cm -> 177cm) http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65617

Current Status: Recovered, moving on

redwedding

« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2021, 12:53:41 PM »

Just FYI, Stryde is still an upgrade from Precice even with the problems it has. If it was currently available for installation, I bet 99% of people would still take it over Precice. Doing the surgery with Precice is probably straight up torture compared to doing it with Stryde.

You are correct BelowTheMean. The stryde offers the full weight bearing which is why I even considered this operation seriously. Now I am thinking of doing the one leg at a time (btw one doctor in spain does this regularly with the fitbone nail, but I will not use the fitbone nail) so I think that the stryde will not give to me many advantages (even if the nail was now available for the installation).

You have recently did the lengthening and the osteolysis starts with the stryde nail after 3-6 months. So please take the xray images regularly and keep an eye on it with help of Dr Kevin.

cheers,
sergio
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up