Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Have people been crippled by Limb Lengthening Surgery?  (Read 813 times)

Blas_Jochen

• Visitor
Have people been crippled by Limb Lengthening Surgery?
« on: December 16, 2021, 11:19:02 PM »

Did it happen? What are some prominent cases?

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
Re: Have people been crippled by Limb Lengthening Surgery?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2021, 02:58:19 AM »

Yes, a few diaries here have ended badly.  And there are many more who never go public with it.

-

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2021, 07:50:10 AM »

Yes, a few diaries here have ended badly.  And there are many more who never go public with it.

Which other cases are notoriously bad besides Unicorn?

Masteryourlife

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2021, 10:01:16 AM »

Unicorn problem was too fast lenghetning and non-union ( due to poor choiches of doctor too) right ?

ReadRothbard

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2021, 04:55:18 PM »

Crazy+6 is probably the most notable example.
“If you're afraid - don't do it, - if you're doing it - don't be afraid!” ― Genghis Khan

172 cm in the morning (67.8"); 170 cm (67”) at night; Sitting Height: 96 cm (37.8”); Goal: 184.5 cm (6'0.7"); Ultimate Goal: 192 cm (6’3.5) morning height, 190 cm (6’3) “night” height
Future space tycoon

MakeMeTallAF

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2021, 04:56:14 PM »

What happened to crazy?

ReadRothbard

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2021, 05:04:56 PM »

What happened to crazy?

He did 7.5 inches altogether using external tibias  & femurs. I can't remember what happened exactly, be he had a lot of problems; last time I checked (which was years ago, tbf), he was still having trouble walking. The fact that he went with an Indian surgeon of questionable repute certainly didn't help things.
“If you're afraid - don't do it, - if you're doing it - don't be afraid!” ― Genghis Khan

172 cm in the morning (67.8"); 170 cm (67”) at night; Sitting Height: 96 cm (37.8”); Goal: 184.5 cm (6'0.7"); Ultimate Goal: 192 cm (6’3.5) morning height, 190 cm (6’3) “night” height
Future space tycoon

zaozari

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2021, 07:09:37 PM »

He did 7.5 inches altogether using external tibias  & femurs. I can't remember what happened exactly, be he had a lot of problems; last time I checked (which was years ago, tbf), he was still having trouble walking. The fact that he went with an Indian surgeon of questionable repute certainly didn't help things.
I don't know the surgeon or the case, but I can say this "doctor" is totally unstrustable and incompetent just by seeing the amount of atempted lengthening: 7,5 inches (furthermore within a single period, single osteotomy/surgery in each segment, and apparently also simultaneously in two segments??) seems fiction !!! Part of the responsibility is also of the patient,  either by not being reasonable or by not having done enough research.
However, sadly for this man, this case shows that except unavoidable rare accidents like pulmonary thrombosis, probability of more severe consequences is diminuished simply by not attempting stupid targets.
It also demonstrates:
1) the huge importance of correctly evaluating (by all possible means) a good doctor: technique, experience, set up(or not) of a recovery/ physiotherapy team, etc, but also ethics. This may mean not choosing a "cheap" one, altough there are obviously excelent doctors in India, China, etc.
2) altough we CLLs candidates are not doctors,  we should make our own research, including scientific, to be able to better make our choices and planning.

ReadRothbard

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2021, 07:24:04 PM »

I don't know the surgeon or the case, but I can say this "doctor" is totally unstrustable and incompetent just by seeing the amount of atempted lengthening: 7,5 inches (furthermore within a single period, single osteotomy/surgery in each segment, and apparently also simultaneously in two segments??) seems fiction !!! Part of the responsibility is also of the patient,  either by not being reasonable or by not having done enough research.
However, sadly for this man, this case shows that except unavoidable rare accidents like pulmonary thrombosis, probability of more severe consequences is diminuished simply by not attempting stupid targets.
It also demonstrates:
1) the huge importance of correctly evaluating (by all possible means) a good doctor: technique, experience, set up(or not) of a recovery/ physiotherapy team, etc, but also ethics. This may mean not choosing a "cheap" one, altough there are obviously excelent doctors in India, China, etc.
2) altough we CLLs candidates are not doctors,  we should make our own research, including scientific, to be able to better make our choices and planning.

Yeah, it was very irresponsible. The doctor was Amar Sarin, I believe. Apotheosis did a similar amount (went from 5'6 to 6'2) with another controversial surgeon: Dr. Betz. The guy actually allows people to lengthen up to 5 inches per segment! The guy is a good surgeon, but very irresponsible.

Future space tycoon

zaozari

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2021, 07:36:12 PM »

If you intend to include even more severe cases, these would be also amputations due to uncontrolled infection and cases of death. Regarding amputation, I have never heard about it in CLL, altough it's possible, specially in a poorly managed hospital and with a very bad doctor.
Regarding lethal consequences of the surgery, like in all others, these are possible and happened indeed. Of course here we don't have any reliable record of the whole, but there were at least,  as far as I have read in this forum, two cases of thrombosis, and curiously (but not surprisingly) happening to patients of two of the most experienced doctors: Paley and Guichet. Less experienced and 3rd world  doctors are also less exposed to the risk of more surgeries, and possible bad consequences are naturally or deliberately better hidden.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2021, 07:43:07 PM »

I think there's a Dr. Jamal Abu Nemer horror story diary on here.

Sorcerer

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2021, 10:49:27 PM »

Of course and that's why being crippled was mentioned as one of the complications after LL. But the rate of being cripple is very very low and as long as you seek for a good surgeon and keep exercises well, I don't think there will be high possibilties that you will get crippled after LL.

drxboom

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2022, 11:39:22 PM »

You can see injured people by looking at the logs in this forum. Also, there are people who are not members of this forum and become disabled after surgery, and people who keep a diary here and disappear at that stage. These probably had bad complications. Unfortunately, the probability of being disabled in such a serious surgery is not very low.
170cm goal 177 -178

ReadRothbard

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2022, 12:07:31 AM »

You can see injured people by looking at the logs in this forum. Also, there are people who are not members of this forum and become disabled after surgery, and people who keep a diary here and disappear at that stage. These probably had bad complications. Unfortunately, the probability of being disabled in such a serious surgery is not very low.

I would say the probability of being seriously injured, let alone crippled, by the surgery is very, very low if you're 1) healthy, 2) choose a competent surgeon, 3) don't overlengthen (more than 20% of initial limb length), and 4) take your PT very seriously.

Future space tycoon

Height Journey

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2022, 04:32:34 AM »

Some serious complications, including crippled LL patients, in my video.
https://youtu.be/9aYZEPShAvk

A 22 year old man from China got crippled when he went overseas to do external leg lengthening.

Mention and link to Dr Donghoon Lee's video who saved some LL patients who went to outside unqualified LL clinics from non-union and on the verge of being crippled. I'm sure there are other cases of non-union from patients who went to outside unqualified LL clinics and were not fortunate enough to find a qualified doctor to save them from being crippled.

2 deaths from pulmonary embolism mentioned (but you are asking about crippled, not deaths)

Lesson: Only do leg lengthening with a qualified, experienced, and reputable surgeon, or don't do it at all.
3.7cm tibias with Precice 2.2 nails in 2022
7.0cm femurs with Precice 2.2 nails in 2021

YouTube: YouTube.com/HeightJourney
Pages: [1]   Go Up