Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Precise 2.2 with Dr Debiparshad — June 2021  (Read 12168 times)

L8GrowthSpurt

Re: Precise 2.2 with Dr Debiparshad — June 2021
« Reply #124 on: September 01, 2021, 06:57:41 PM »

Thanks for all the sharing, HobbitMan! It should go without saying that you don’t owe anyone anything here and I for one can appreciate that it could be very taxing to try and answer all possible questions; or just deal with a barrage of strange and personal requests. I hope to follow your success, but not as high since you got me from the jump by several centimeters.  Imagining the burden of no longer thinking about height neurosis must be exhilarating and I very much look forward to experiencing that same freedom in the future.  I wish you a happy, successful and taller life. Thanks again and good luck moving forward.  💪 - Cheers
CLL wannabe - waiting for Stryde return
171.5 cm (morning height)
171 cm (day height)
Wingspan: 179 cm
Goal height - 179 cm (femurs)

Thorfinnn

« Reply #125 on: September 01, 2021, 07:14:09 PM »

Thank you for making a diary here and sharing your experience with LL. Glad to hear your LL has been cured with this surgery and hope all the best did you in the future

trunkmonkey

• Visitor
« Reply #126 on: September 01, 2021, 11:38:28 PM »

Good to hear that you're happy with your height

Thanks for sharing and best of luck with recovery!

Worzezterlire

« Reply #127 on: September 02, 2021, 12:52:31 PM »

Thanks for the good luck everyone!  I’ll still be around intermittently but there probably be a day where the journal abruptly ends.  Not today at least   :)

For those I helped I would love to answer more questions over the coming week and I think I left some unanswered, feel free to dump any questions in here again and I’ll try to get to the ones that mean most to everyone.

To answer one of them, I’m still completely reliant on the walker, but my fingers are crossed I’ll have a quick consolidation and be taking first steps in October.  Less than a week away from the final day of lengthening!  Things are tighter now but it’s never much worse than it was at say, 4cm.  I wouldn’t go past 8cm even if I could but I’m sure my body could handle it with extensive PT.

L8GrowthSpurt

« Reply #128 on: September 05, 2021, 11:11:53 PM »

Hey HobbitMan - Good to hear you’re basically at the tail end of lengthening.  I did have a few questions, but of course answer only if you want to.  So, here goes:

1.  With Precice 2.2, it seems to me that it is a balance between doing as much weight bearing within the nail’s limit to help with bone regenerate formation and yet not doing too much weight bearing for fear that the nail will bend or, god forbid, break.  Is that correct?  And, are you encouraged to do your rehab that way by pushing the weight bearing so as to promote good bone formation and hopefully expedite the consolidation phase?

2.  How hard are stairs?  I have a recovery environment where I plan on doing most of the lengthening after surgery but it has stairs.  I can limit some of it, but there is just no avoiding it altogether.  What has your experience been with stair environments and how scary is it in terms of f’ing up the nails?  My worst fear is that even though I think I am limiting weight bearing it would only take a misstep and I’d bend the nail.

3.  How effective has outside PT with someone who may not be specifically trained for LL been vs. doing rigorous rehab on your own? [Not suggesting anyone could just skip out on the outside PT, but curious about the relative returns from someone like you has in terms of how effective outside PT has been vs. your own rigorous rehab]

4.  What is the one thing you know now that you have been through the journey that you most under appreciated or didn’t realize would be as challenging during CLL? 

Again, thanks for all the sharing along the way, which has been helpful and much appreciated and good luck with getting the last bit out of that nail!  💪😁
171 cm (day height)

Worzezterlire

« Reply #129 on: September 06, 2021, 04:07:55 AM »

I saw your post and wasn’t going to log on tonight to answer until tomorrow… until I saw your question about stairs.  I feel I am about to save you a lot of pain and misery by answering that question and I feel ethically required to give you the best advice possible as soon as possible.

1. My PT sessions and rehab didn’t feature that much weight bearing.  By putting 150-160lbs down directly (75-80 per per nail… I NEVER took a single step and won’t for a while, without offloading at least half my weight, because that’s a one step trip to a broken nail) that might have helped bone generation, but vitamin D high doses and protein will do a bigger job of it.  It’s actually better to take a lot of vitamin D and eat chicken breasts without getting up from bed, than to eat crap and weight bear a lot, for good bone formation.  I recommend being safe and relying more on vitamin D and nutrition as a baseline.  My bone growth is very average which is exactly what someone should want — no risk of mal-Union or early consolidation.  PT was and should be for your exercises and stretches sitting down or laying down or on a stationary bike that promote muscle laxity.  The hamstrings and quads and to a lesser extent the sciatic nerves are the biggest obstacles for a healthy young male much more than bone growth.   Bone growth won’t be an issue for the average young healthy male.  For women it can be a bigger concern.

2. DO NOT USE STAIRS

Any surgeon will cringe if you even mention stairs.  You cannot traverse them without putting almost all weight on one leg.  Even if you’re a skinny 17 BMI short guy which I assume you aren’t at 171cm, it is still dangerous on the nail.  In particular your leg muscles will be SO TIGHT that you have ZERO coordination.  For the love of god don’t use even one stair until you can walk easily after consolidation, that could be 8 months.  It is not worth the risk.  I strongly suggest you look into stair lift machines, like the ones old people have.  compared to cost of surgery or revision if you bend a nail, it’s cheap.  Please get a stair lift.  If you can’t, then you must find some way to avoid stairs.  You will have a revision surgery if you incorporate stairs, 100%.  I had one and it was a nightmare.

3. A great PT will be confused about the intricacies of CLL but many have been trained on internal and external fixators and broken femur cases.  Youd be surprised how quickly they will adapt to what you need if you are vocal and your surgeon gives them the right info.  My PT had never seen a case like mine but he was within a week doing a great job on my specifics, doing Range of Motion measurements weekly, etc.

4. Honestly, it’s a few things.  The first is just how little I bathe now.  Showers standing up are always a dance with chance, they’re very dangerous and I rarely do them.  Baths are better but not everyone has the luxury of a bath tub.  They’re also hard as hell to get in and out of.  So I probably wash myself only once or twice a week.

You wake up every morning very sore but this disappears as you get up and move and/or take pain killers.  I actually recommend taking a good dose of painkillers since they will allow you to get rid of the pain that would keep you from stretching as rigorously as you need to.  Downside is that they’re often opiates which are addictive and slightly mind altering which might affect your job or general sense of being.

I probably only go outside a few hours a month so this is the first summer I haven’t had a tan.

Peeing at night is extremely annoying so I recommend portable urinals.  They last 2 weeks each before they start smelling horrific, as long as you wash them out each morning.  Keep one near your bed.

L8GrowthSpurt

« Reply #130 on: September 06, 2021, 09:46:50 PM »

Thanks HobbitMan!  Stairs are def out based on your advice and I’ll definitely figure a way around that and not even chance it.  Appreciate the response.  Good luck with everything moving forward! 👍
171 cm (day height)

Worzezterlire

« Reply #131 on: September 06, 2021, 10:02:19 PM »

Thanks HobbitMan!  Stairs are def out based on your advice and I’ll definitely figure a way around that and not even chance it.  Appreciate the response.  Good luck with everything moving forward! 👍

I’m glad you asked the question because I was planning on using stairs too until I was told after surgery that it was completely out of the picture, so I had only one week to figure out a solution once I left Las Vegas.

Thanks for the best wishes!  Only a few more days and I’ll be finally done with the hardest step of the journey.

Worzezterlire

« Reply #132 on: September 10, 2021, 03:52:46 PM »

I’m going to stop at about 79.5mm (actually a bit more) because the last few lengthening sessions as I reach the end of the rod are causing my knee to crack very loudly every .1mm.  This has only been the case for about the last 2mm.  Makes me wonder why all of a sudden my knees are so loud.  Nothing hurts, it’s just a very loud crack, like speaking volume in terms of decibels.  It’s just crepitus and there’s no concern but reading some articles about knee crepitus leading to arthritis, if I can avoid arthritis by leaving about 1/64th of an inch on the table, that’s a win for me.

Apparently I should have felt it the whole journey but it’s only started now, and is common.  I don’t enjoy it and I don’t care about 1/64th of an inch.  Im well over 6’ all day now and I’m looking forward to consolidation starting today.  Will give an update once I’m consolidated and put some first steps without a walker on the floor.  Should be 4-8 weeks, I hope for 4 weeks since my bone was starting to fill in fast just a week ago.

L8GrowthSpurt

« Reply #133 on: September 10, 2021, 04:13:41 PM »

Congrats, HobbitMan!  Here’s to a quick and uneventful consolidation!  👍💪
171 cm (day height)

Worzezterlire

« Reply #134 on: September 11, 2021, 12:52:27 AM »

Congrats, HobbitMan!  Here’s to a quick and uneventful consolidation!  👍💪

Thanks man!  I’m glad that you and a few other people (about half dozen of whom DM’d me instead over more personal questions) have gotten valuable information out of this diary.  Good luck with your surgery coming up!  I can say that going to the end is worth it as long as you aren’t having major problems.  By going to the end I mean at least 7.5cm, just because I stopped at 7.95cm doesn’t mean IMO I stopped “early”.  Might even max out the nails tomorrow since my knee popping has stopped with a day of rest.  Should only be a single more session anyways.  The one regret after talking to other patients is that they wished they had gone to 8cm, especially the ones who stopped at 5-7cm.  You feel basically normal again after just a day or two of not lengthening, so the pain is temporary.

billsmafia

« Reply #135 on: September 11, 2021, 01:45:18 AM »

I agree that there are a lot of neurotic people here. Did the people you encountered at Limbplastix seem pretty level-headed?

Thorfinnn

« Reply #136 on: September 11, 2021, 02:29:16 AM »

I have a question regarding inseam . Every time I try to measure it I get different results. Do you think it’s better just to wait for standing x ray from doctor than to worry so much about my inseam length.

itseasy

« Reply #137 on: September 11, 2021, 08:44:45 AM »

I agree that there are a lot of neurotic people here. Did the people you encountered at Limbplastix seem pretty level-headed?

Of course there will be neurotic people here and there. Sh*t, even I think I’m a little on the crazy side for doing this, hahaha!!!

But seriously, let me tell you, my surgery was a year ago and everything is fine. Went the full 8cm. You don’t have to be neurotic or crazy. As a matter of fact, there are many very logical, and smart people who do this. You just have to have a realistic plan and stick to it.

Plus, I want you to think about this.....how many neurotic people do you know that have $100,000 laying around?? You have to have at least some kind of smarts to put that together, right?

Worzezterlire

« Reply #138 on: September 11, 2021, 05:06:11 PM »

Honestly most of them just seemed really nervous.  Most of them were men, racially very diverse, but mostly American nationality.  I only met about 10 people in total, I think they were all very nice people.  Definitely the type of people who were successful and pleasant people who just had an insecurity they could afford to fix.

Of course there will be neurotic people here and there. Sh*t, even I think I’m a little on the crazy side for doing this, hahaha!!!

But seriously, let me tell you, my surgery was a year ago and everything is fine. Went the full 8cm. You don’t have to be neurotic or crazy. As a matter of fact, there are many very logical, and smart people who do this. You just have to have a realistic plan and stick to it.

Plus, I want you to think about this.....how many neurotic people do you know that have $100,000 laying around?? You have to have at least some kind of smarts to put that together, right?

Yeah, I agree with this.  The venn diagram between people I met there and the neurotic people on this forum was very thin if not two separate circles.

I have a question regarding inseam . Every time I try to measure it I get different results. Do you think it’s better just to wait for standing x ray from doctor than to worry so much about my inseam length.

My surgeon didn’t really care about proportions other than making sure the femurs were over the 0.8:1.0 tibia:femur ratio before lengthening them, and looking for leg length discrepancies.  He didn’t mention inseam once.  It’s really up to you to care about proportions.  I measured my own inseam 20 times and got 5 different measurements between 79 and 84cm.  I wore 30 pants with some break around 5’9”, I wear 33 with some break now, 32 no break.  Realistically unless you look like you have very long legs before surgery, you will not look abnormal afterwards.  I definitely don’t at 49% inseam ratio.  As long as you aren’t at a very high ratio before surgery you probably will actually look better afterwards.

itseasy

« Reply #139 on: September 11, 2021, 06:29:50 PM »

Honestly most of them just seemed really nervous.  Most of them were men, racially very diverse, but mostly American nationality.  I only met about 10 people in total, I think they were all very nice people.  Definitely the type of people who were successful and pleasant people who just had an insecurity they could afford to fix.

Yeah, I agree with this.  The venn diagram between people I met there and the neurotic people on this forum was very thin if not two separate circles.

My surgeon didn’t really care about proportions other than making sure the femurs were over the 0.8:1.0 tibia:femur ratio before lengthening them, and looking for leg length discrepancies.  He didn’t mention inseam once.  It’s really up to you to care about proportions.  I measured my own inseam 20 times and got 5 different measurements between 79 and 84cm.  I wore 30 pants with some break around 5’9”, I wear 33 with some break now, 32 no break.  Realistically unless you look like you have very long legs before surgery, you will not look abnormal afterwards.  I definitely don’t at 49% inseam ratio.  As long as you aren’t at a very high ratio before surgery you probably will actually look better afterwards.

Honestly speaking, the inseam/proportions issue is nothing to worry about. Trust me, you won’t look disproportional after all is said and done. Actually, you’ll love the “model” look you’ll have wearing a suit or pants. No more short and stalky!!

Worzezterlire

« Reply #140 on: September 11, 2021, 08:33:22 PM »

Honestly speaking, the inseam/proportions issue is nothing to worry about. Trust me, you won’t look disproportional after all is said and done. Actually, you’ll love the “model” look you’ll have wearing a suit or pants. No more short and stalky!!

I appreciate your take as someone who’s a year ahead of me, I actually have been coming to the same conclusion lately.  At first I hated how long my femurs looked sitting down, but standing up it looks really majestic.  I greatly prefer how I look now, and if I wanted to wear lifts still I could because my knee height isn’t very high (but not comically low).

Anyways with inseam I completely agree.  I don’t think it’s someone anyone who doesn’t have a very tiny torso (usually caused by extreme scoliosis, which you should resolve before this anyways, it gives you height back on its own) should think about up to about 10cm.  Freaking out about proportions is a waste of time for 95% of people IMO.

So far I’m two days into consolidation and my legs feel so much less sore than they have for the past 3 months.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 09:23:39 PM by HobbitMan »

itseasy

« Reply #141 on: September 11, 2021, 10:50:26 PM »

I appreciate your take as someone who’s a year ahead of me, I actually have been coming to the same conclusion lately.  At first I hated how long my femurs looked sitting down, but standing up it looks really majestic.  I greatly prefer how I look now, and if I wanted to wear lifts still I could because my knee height isn’t very high (but not comically low).

Anyways with inseam I completely agree.  I don’t think it’s someone anyone who doesn’t have a very tiny torso (usually caused by extreme scoliosis, which you should resolve before this anyways, it gives you height back on its own) should think about up to about 10cm.  Freaking out about proportions is a waste of time for 95% of people IMO.

So far I’m two days into consolidation and my legs feel so much less sore than they have for the past 3 months.

Be patient During consolidation. Sometimes you’ll feel aches here and there that will make you think it’s never going to go away. A year out from surgery you’ll feel like the whole journey wasn’t that bad because it will be a distant memory. It was hard for me to think that from time to time while distracting and some of the consolidation period because the opiates just made me feel so icky and depressed.

As far as long femurs, even sitting down it will be completely ok. My girl actually compliments me on my legs (she doesn’t know about the CLL).

SpeedDialer

« Reply #142 on: September 12, 2021, 12:41:11 AM »

Thanks for all the information!!!

What do you feel are the most dangerous situations at home when you have precise 2.2? What would you recommend in those cases?

I'm trying to figure out when the best bet is to maybe   the bed / just lie down until a caretaker can come the next day

Worzezterlire

« Reply #143 on: September 12, 2021, 03:31:12 AM »

Thanks for all the information!!!

What do you feel are the most dangerous situations at home when you have precise 2.2? What would you recommend in those cases?

I'm trying to figure out when the best bet is to maybe   the bed / just lie down until a caretaker can come the next day

1. NEVER use any stairs.  Don’t even slide down them or lean on the rails.  Not worth it.

2. Remove rugs wherever possible before surgery if it’s in the line of your normal movement area.  You can trip easily on them.

3. If you have a step-down front door or have step downs anywhere in your house, you should get a ramp and only traverse it via wheelchair.

4. Do not walk around at night without a light on, you need to be always aware of your surroundings.

5. If you get a steamy bathroom from a hot shower, don’t traverse it until it’s no longer slippery.

6. Use the wheelchair primarily outside of the house.

EDIT: also it’s best to get a portable urinal sort of thing to pee into at night.  Maybe also go to bed with a water bottle you can use in the morning to take pills with.  You’re going to be your least oriented late at night or in the morning between pain pills, so it’s best to not leave the bed until the painkillers have kicked in and you’re fully awake.  Probably 80% of my near-accidents happened at night or early morning.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 04:06:34 AM by HobbitMan »

billsmafia

« Reply #144 on: September 12, 2021, 05:17:55 AM »

Very cool comparison of the ven diagram. Without revealing their info have you ran into any interesting cases? My best guess is that most patients are younger twenties to thirties in high paying fields like software engineering and ib. Any actors? Models? I saw a post before about a popular YouTuber doing it.

itseasy

« Reply #145 on: September 12, 2021, 06:12:20 PM »

Very cool comparison of the ven diagram. Without revealing their info have you ran into any interesting cases? My best guess is that most patients are younger twenties to thirties in high paying fields like software engineering and ib. Any actors? Models? I saw a post before about a popular YouTuber doing it.

I believe Justin Bieber is reported as getting CLL.

Thorfinnn

« Reply #146 on: September 12, 2021, 07:52:23 PM »

Ok I’ll just go with my pant inseam length, thanks for your input much appreciated Hobbitman!

Hobbit

« Reply #147 on: September 13, 2021, 09:42:59 AM »

@HobbitMan, how much did the whole surgery cost in USD? Was it 70k?

ChangeMyLife

« Reply #148 on: September 14, 2021, 01:00:52 AM »

Hey HobbitMan! Amazing diary, and I wish you a speedy consolidation! How do you manage to constantly offload weight on the walker? Aren't there moments of full loading on the nails when you move the walker forward with each step?

Worzezterlire

« Reply #149 on: September 14, 2021, 06:53:25 PM »

@HobbitMan, how much did the whole surgery cost in USD? Was it 70k?

I forget the exact figure not including airfare and hotel time, probably around that amount though.  Dr D had a summer discount of $5000 off for Precise 2.2 since so many people were waiting for Stryde and he wanted some people to consider Precise, which I took advantage of.  In the long run it was absolutely the right choice.  Precise 2.2 isn’t fun but it’s manageable if you’ve got a busy schedule and are working from home or taking time off for hobbies.

Hey HobbitMan! Amazing diary, and I wish you a speedy consolidation! How do you manage to constantly offload weight on the walker? Aren't there moments of full loading on the nails when you move the walker forward with each step?

Very good question, I asked Dr D this every single time I visited after surgery, since I got more reliant on having to stand still on two feet to do things like get dressed or even to move the walker at angles (picking it up, moving it, and then shifting my feet).  He said even with my weight bearing limit of 50lbs per leg, standing on my own two feet for short periods many times a day was fine.  Doing it for hours straight or taking steps without the walker would lead to issues though.  If you are lucky and have thick enough bones for 75lbs per leg this is even less of an issue.

ChangeMyLife

« Reply #150 on: September 15, 2021, 12:06:12 AM »

Thanks! This has been one of my biggest concerns with ambulating with the Precice. That's great to know.

Worzezterlire

« Reply #151 on: September 17, 2021, 08:01:26 PM »

Thanks! This has been one of my biggest concerns with ambulating with the Precice. That's great to know.

Worth noting a few things:

1. Your legs from the hips down are about 1/6th of your weight.  At 160lbs I was only putting about 135lbs total on my legs, and per leg that’s about 65lbs.  Weight below the femur is not weight that is being put down on the femur itself.

2. precise 2,2 is a lot stronger than its specs say it is.  You can easily put 80lbs per leg for short periods of time even at full extension and be fine.  It’s twisting and turning and stepping motions as well as major impacts that cause deformities usually, most of the time by putting all your weight on one leg suddenly, such as when walking or jumping.  Precise 2.2 and Stryde have different weight limits but the construction and way this weight is considered is very different between the two.  If Stryde had only the same weight bearing as Precise, then Stryde would actually be less safe than precise for static two leg weight bearing.  Dr D and his PT Mike both explained that to me a few times.  In a way Stryde is actually more “on the mark” about how much weight it supports… a few pounds over and it’s dangerous.

3. The nails get much weaker as they extend.  At 0mm extended they are probably more like 100lbs per leg and fully extended much closer to the states 50/75lbs per leg.  You need to be extra careful once you go past 7cm and spend less time standing and as much time as possible laying or sitting until consolidation.  I for one only use the walker to go to the bathroom, otherwise it’s wheelchair everywhere.  Much safer during consolidation.

Some people start using crutches instead of the walker but IMO tight muscles make your coordination terrible so the walker is much better, much safer.  Only issue is that I’m so tall now that the walker on the tallest setting is still a bit short for me, but it’s still usable.

The only thing I don’t like right now is how dark my scars are, even if they’re small.  I know they’ll go away in time but they are very dark and by the time they heal they’ll have to be opened up again to remove the rods.  Starting to use a scar removal cream to see if it can at least get rid of the IT band release scars so I can wear shorts in public in the next few months.

SirStretchAlot

« Reply #152 on: September 18, 2021, 06:17:31 AM »

The point about extended nails being able to bear less weight than unextended ones is very insightful. You already got past the toughest part of Precise. I am excited for your recovery!
May 2021: 171cm (evening) > September 2021: 181cm
Wingspan: 170cm | Male: 29 | 65kg | Based in UK
Femurs: Betzbone with Dr. Betz | ITB Release: Dr. Giotikas
Dairy: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=66558.0

ChangeMyLife

« Reply #153 on: September 23, 2021, 05:20:27 PM »

Thanks for these insights, Hobbitman! I'd consulted with Paley / Robbins a few weeks ago. I weigh very close to what you do (160lbs) and my bones can also only fit the 10.7mm nail. I'd asked the same question to Robbins about standing on the nails, and he unequivocally said I can't even stand at that weight with the 10.7mm nail, even for a few minutes. So it's a bit conflicting to hear this, but also good to know that you've actually been able to stand.

I also had another question. Have you ever thought/worried about the possibility of fracture post nail removal? The recent occurrence with DreamerLL has me worried. I'm sorry for asking such a morbid question, but just wanted to get more thoughts on this.

SpeedDialer

« Reply #154 on: September 23, 2021, 11:41:58 PM »

Would you ever consider doing precise 2.2 on the other segment in India? I wonder because it seems like a cheaper option with the same nail

I wish maybe the mods could collect all the advice on how to manage being in a wheelchair the whole time during LL
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up