Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wish I had known about how stocks/crypto worked before this bull market  (Read 1219 times)

SpeedDialer

I'm sad. Inflation. All I had were low interest earning bonds/CD's. Lost buying power. Gonna be more expensive to live in Greece for those three months. Wonder if LL will increase in price. Wonder how much more money it will be next fall?

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
Re: Wish I had known about how stocks/crypto worked before this bull market
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2022, 06:30:44 AM »

Tell me about it.  I got into stock trading in April.  So many missed opportunities with GME, AMC, and all those SPACs that people ran up. :'(

2022 has been a bad year so far though.  Unless you picked uranium and fossil fuels and banks your portfolio has probably been bleeding profusely.  Mine has been, and I was thinking of betting big on the first two due to the tension with Russia.  Another missed opportunity. >:(

I hope it's just some stupid panic about the Federal Reseve minutes coming out tomorrow.  The market has done that several times over the past few months and then comes roaring back once they realize Jerome Powell isn't going to be the next Paul Volcker.

173to187USTORUSSIA

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2022, 03:15:08 PM »

Tell me about it.  I got into stock trading in April.  So many missed opportunities with GME, AMC, and all those SPACs that people ran up. :'(

2022 has been a bad year so far though.  Unless you picked uranium and fossil fuels and banks your portfolio has probably been bleeding profusely.  Mine has been, and I was thinking of betting big on the first two due to the tension with Russia.  Another missed opportunity. >:(

I hope it's just some stupid panic about the Federal Reseve minutes coming out tomorrow.  The market has done that several times over the past few months and then comes roaring back once they realize Jerome Powell isn't going to be the next Paul Volcker.

Could you give any good books or learning material sources (online sites, podcasts , videos etc) that helped you learned to invest in stocks? Much appreciated.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2022, 03:51:29 PM »

Sure enough the uranium stocks that I passed up on three days ago up another TEN fkING PERCENT so far this morning.

You don't want any information from me.

ReadRothbard

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2022, 04:07:54 PM »

I'm sad. Inflation. All I had were low interest earning bonds/CD's. Lost buying power. Gonna be more expensive to live in Greece for those three months. Wonder if LL will increase in price. Wonder how much more money it will be next fall?

I bought several bitcoin in 2013 and lost them all due to a hack (my dad was holding them in some "secure" address). Things could be worse.
“If you're afraid - don't do it, - if you're doing it - don't be afraid!” ― Genghis Khan

172 cm in the morning (67.8"); 170 cm (67”) at night; Sitting Height: 96 cm (37.8”); Goal: 184.5 cm (6'0.7"); Ultimate Goal: 192 cm (6’3.5) morning height, 190 cm (6’3) “night” height
Future space tycoon

173to187USTORUSSIA

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2022, 06:15:48 PM »

I bought several bitcoin in 2013 and lost them all due to a hack (my dad was holding them in some "secure" address). Things could be worse.

I regret not buying btc at $400 back in the day but man that takes the cake. That's unfortunate.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2022, 06:25:56 PM »

All right.  Now that I've calmed down I can tell you that most of what I know about investing in general is from reading cnbc.com and watching CNBC.  Also Fox Business Channel has a good show called Barron's Roundtable every Friday.  Wall Street Bets is also a good source of general knowledge.  Whether you take anyone's advice or not, the way the advice is given is informative in general.

As for the nuts and bolts of trading, I opened a Fidelity account and looked up any term or graphic in the user interface that I didn't understand, e.g. what the bid price and ask price are, what a payout ratio is, etc.

So I learned through experience, the same way I learned to type 100 words per minute by using chat rooms and message boards instead of by studying typing.

ReadRothbard

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2022, 06:31:49 PM »

I regret not buying btc at $400 back in the day but man that takes the cake. That's unfortunate.

I was planning to sink my life savings into it as soon as I graduated high school; I actually found out about it in 2011 and wanted to put $200 into it (I was bit libertarian), then I wanted to hold out until it was $100k a coin min. I just didn't have a debit card and thus couldn't pay back then, and my parents weren't going to pay for any silly online money.
“If you're afraid - don't do it, - if you're doing it - don't be afraid!” ― Genghis Khan

172 cm in the morning (67.8"); 170 cm (67”) at night; Sitting Height: 96 cm (37.8”); Goal: 184.5 cm (6'0.7"); Ultimate Goal: 192 cm (6’3.5) morning height, 190 cm (6’3) “night” height
Future space tycoon

SpeedDialer

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2022, 06:23:21 AM »

The question is what the f do we do now?

Afraid of bear market w/ Fed being hawkish

Afraid of SEC cracking down on stable coin lending (blockfi, celsius, etc)

Defi lending options -> The 20% yield on anchor protocol UST stablecoin-> I don't think ozone insurance or nexus mutual insurance on these are available now, kind of the wild west

CD's/treasuries are giving close to 0 yields  (except for Series I bonds, which I already maxed out), not sure this will go up that much even if the Fed tries

Gold has not performed that well the last 10 years

Bonds- I am even more clueless on

What now for someone who doesn't know much about stocks?

SpeedDialer

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2022, 06:29:44 AM »

A big problem is that for people who want to do LL in the next few years, long term strategies like "hold bitcoin/S&P500 index as long as possible" won't work if there is a market correction shortly before you cash out

And traditional short term savings vehicles like "high yield" saving accounts and CD's are giving such pathetic yields that they are really hard to swallow

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2022, 01:23:54 PM »

The question is what the f do we do now?

Afraid of bear market w/ Fed being hawkish

Afraid of SEC cracking down on stable coin lending (blockfi, celsius, etc)

Defi lending options -> The 20% yield on anchor protocol UST stablecoin-> I don't think ozone insurance or nexus mutual insurance on these are available now, kind of the wild west

CD's/treasuries are giving close to 0 yields  (except for Series I bonds, which I already maxed out), not sure this will go up that much even if the Fed tries

Gold has not performed that well the last 10 years

Bonds- I am even more clueless on

What now for someone who doesn't know much about stocks?

SARK and SQQQ will go up if the fed remains hawkish, or way up if they get more hawkish.

EPV will go up if Vladimir Putin invades Ukraine.

There are other shorting funds as well that will perform inversely to the stock market.

we.live.once

now I also regret I did no research about crypto earlier :-(
I began with crypto since 3 weeks.
If I would begin even 6 months earlier, I would have saved several thousand euro
from 185 to 190

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member

Get out of that environmentally-destructive pyramid scheme con, dude.
Pages: [1]   Go Up