Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Fitbone Stage Right Tibia Lenghtening (Dr. Monegal), Barcelona, Spain  (Read 68915 times)

jaymorgan712

Re: Fitbone Stage Right Tibia Lenghtening (Dr. Monegal), Barcelona, Spain
« Reply #124 on: March 25, 2016, 05:12:44 AM »

Cooper, sent you a pm!
Currently Banned for fake diary until proper explanation is accounted for.

Thatdude950

« Reply #125 on: March 25, 2016, 06:42:07 AM »

Sucks to hear, I hope you can get fixed up.

So there's you, Crimson, and although musicmaker is very happy with his attention, it's no secret that she required multiple corrective surgeries. And now glen is missing? The best option is not doing LL, but if you absolutely have to (crazy in my opinion) Monegal seems a good Dr to miss.

patientdad

« Reply #126 on: March 25, 2016, 06:58:19 AM »

Lesson here is: Don't go out of the country to save money.  Sorry to hear about your troubles, Cooper.  I wish you a speedy recovery.

YellowSpike

« Reply #127 on: March 25, 2016, 12:12:58 PM »

Lesson here is: Don't go out of the country to save money.  Sorry to hear about your troubles, Cooper.  I wish you a speedy recovery.

Dr. Guichet is still good, and somewhat cheaper than Paley and Rozbruch. And there are some other European doctors who are good (like Catagni). But now we officially know that this doctor is to be avoided at all costs. I remember writing him last year asking about tibias and he made it seem sooooo easy ...my God, so glad I didn't do it with him. Just need another inch, and I'm set, but have to do it with a safe doctor.

Cooper, you're a good guy, and you're tough. You will make it through this. You are in the hands of a fantastic doctor in either Paley or Rozbruch. You will come out of this!

Alu

« Reply #128 on: March 25, 2016, 04:41:10 PM »

So what are you options now? Besides hopefully correcting the right leg, I'm guessing you're now gonna have to do the left leg as well... Who are you going to do it with, and do you think insurance will cover it?

Cooper

• If it was easy everyone would do it!!!
« Reply #129 on: March 25, 2016, 11:12:58 PM »

I am not disclosing my current doctor for many reason. If i do i will probably open another thread. Please respect that for moment.

I am in wheel chair now. Basically in my bed all the time. It sucks, really.....really sucks! I hope nobody has to go through this. That is the main reason i am back in forum to bring awareness and expose the crook/dishonest/unethical/inexperience/manipulative monegal.

But my recovery is going well. I may be in crutches in a month or so. When i was with Dr. Paley i was in walker immediately. We had so good time, party every night with other LLers. It was like college life.

But with one leg lengthening it turned into night mares. Disasters and many months of frustration, anger, resentment and helpless.
Starting Height: 160
Gained Femur: 6.9cm (Dr. Paley)
Right Tibia Goal: 5.5/6CM

Cooper

« Reply #130 on: March 25, 2016, 11:19:14 PM »

Thank you Yellow Spike. You been supportive since the beginning. I need positive people like you around especially in dire moment like this.

I am sure i will come out ok. I am seeing the best of the best. Just has to go through all this unnecessary correction if i was smart to pick right doctor from the getko.

I thought i am only doing one leg, 5cm, internal lenghtening, in europe, what could go wrong? so wrong!

Cooper

« Reply #131 on: March 25, 2016, 11:27:14 PM »

Super Patella: This is bull  whatever monegal is trying to sell super patella for nail insertion. All the doctor I see in US did not even mentioned a thing. Dr. R was oh super patella and that was it. It could be this approach the nail was not inserted correctly causing provactum on my tibia bone. With super patella nail is introduced above from the knee and the angle of insertion is different than doing directly through knee. I cannot say 100% that is the issue. But this not any innovation or supreme methodology. Be aware of that!

Ghostfish

« Reply #132 on: March 26, 2016, 08:13:52 AM »

Hi Cooper

I am sorry to hear you suffering from the wrong choice.  He is indeed very disappointing and untrusty.
What a disaster to you.... However, you are a brave and strong man.  You can go through this and achieve your goal, although there has been unnecessary misfortune.   
Wish you the best of luck for the rest of your ll journey!!

Cooper

« Reply #133 on: March 26, 2016, 03:00:39 PM »

Hi Cooper

I am sorry to hear you suffering from the wrong choice.  He is indeed very disappointing and untrusty.
What a disaster to you.... However, you are a brave and strong man.  You can go through this and achieve your goal, although there has been unnecessary misfortune.   
Wish you the best of luck for the rest of your ll journey!!

Thank you for kind words.

crimsontide

« Reply #134 on: March 26, 2016, 03:32:56 PM »

I had the supra patellar insertion

it's a known technique, but not as common

I got it because I thought it would avert knee pain

I  can say that kneeling on the  knee hurts. This is common though with any nailing while the rod is in.  The only reason though for getting the supra patellar was to avoid this, so in that sense, i would say there's no reason to get supra patellar.

I also have  a bit of irritation/pain in the interior of my knee/leg, though hoping that's from a screw ,since that can be removed.  It is quite annoying

Supra patellar is not unknown, but I'm guessing there's a reason why most Dr's do not perform the surgery in this manner

My opinion: Get the  nailing  done by   regular insertion. Supra patellar's only  supposed benefit is to avoid the knee pain  that occurs with regular nailing, and in my case,  supra patellar  was a  failure in this regard.

TRS

« Reply #135 on: March 26, 2016, 04:02:32 PM »

I can't find the whole study online but here is the abstract of the intra-articular risks of suprapatellar nailing http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23550286.
Here is a quote from the study:
"Suprapatellar nailing is associated with a risk of injury to anterior knee structures comparable to other nailing techniques. "

I also saw a presentation few years ago that argued that suprapatellar nailing does not avoid the risk of anterior knee pain, unfortunately I can't seem to find it.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 04:26:56 PM by TRS »

TRS

« Reply #136 on: March 26, 2016, 06:17:42 PM »

Here is another study that concludes no difference in knee pain between suprapatellar and infrapatellar nailing approach http://upoj.org/wp-content/uploads/v24/09_Courtney.pdf

blahblah

« Reply #137 on: March 27, 2016, 06:02:04 AM »

Hi Cooper,

sorry to hear your story bro, But isn't Monegal certified by WITTENSTEIN for fitbone use. I thought they overlook his practice. Can you contact/complain to them about Monegal?

blah

Cooper

« Reply #138 on: March 27, 2016, 04:07:05 PM »

Hi Cooper,

sorry to hear your story bro, But isn't Monegal certified by WITTENSTEIN for fitbone use. I thought they overlook his practice. Can you contact/complain to them about Monegal?

blah

That is what I thought. Trained by fitbone manufacturer. But that may not mean anything.  If the case is in US easy to file press charge for lying, dishonest and unethical.  but in Spain I do not know. And culture is different as I mentioned before per Spanish friend everyone lies in Spain. Do not know how much of that is true.

I am focusing on my recovery. In coming days I hope some more patient come forward and share experience. May be cumulatively we can file class action law suit.

chineseguy

« Reply #139 on: March 27, 2016, 04:15:29 PM »

Cooper 

Can you show x ray?   I chat a chinese guy too from china and he is ok

blahblah

« Reply #140 on: March 28, 2016, 01:15:23 AM »

Cooper,
It's a little concerning that none of Monegal's other patients are posting, even when you shed light on this whole thing. No one is out here defending him and neither is he. When lluser was posting he and all his other patients were having a fit over it. This is too silent for them and I would like to hear from them about all this?

LLCaptain

« Reply #141 on: March 28, 2016, 02:08:58 AM »

Cooper,
It's a little concerning that none of Monegal's other patients are posting, even when you shed light on this whole thing. No one is out here defending him and neither is he. When lluser was posting he and all his other patients were having a fit over it. This is too silent for them and I would like to hear from them about all this?

Patients have reservations from posting because of users like LLUser1. He got one unhappy patient to divulge private and medical details about other patients and started posting them on this forum and even made a post about stalking patients at the guest house. And also lots of creepy stalkerish details like the number of times a patient has flown to see Dr. Monegal or whether or not someone is rich and has a pool at their house.

LLUser1 deserves the ban for abusing his access to patient details, not for what he exposed about the doctor.

I also don't think it is other patients place to come here and defend the doctor when Cooper's major complication is real.

Wish you a speedy recovery Cooper.

YellowSpike

« Reply #142 on: March 28, 2016, 03:39:21 PM »

I communicated a bit with this guy last summer, and it just all seemed fishy to me. He kind of like yes'd me to death and make it seem like I could do 3cm on my tibs and be walking like super fast (with Fitbone). Just seemed way too good to be true. Dr. Catagni and Dr. Paley both refuted his claims (anonymously, I didn't tell them it was he I was consulting with) as laughable. For me, when I do tibs, it'll have to be either Rozbruch or Catagni.

Cooper, you will get through this. PM me if you need anything man! You were one of the stories I followed when I was researching femurs like two years ago now lol

yagen

« Reply #143 on: March 30, 2016, 11:39:28 AM »

Today I have spoken with doctor Monegal about what is said in the forum about him and I've asked him if he could explain to me his point of view.

I'm not the judge for this trial. I am neither against nor for Monegal/Cooper, but if I'm interested as a patient in knowing what has happened

The doctor told me that he has had enough attacks in the forum and that is not going to get into it, because another user could appear tomorrow saying anything about his patients, and it will be the neverending story.

The doctor told me that he can not give names of their patients, a nickname of a user in a forum could be other person.
The doctor could not disclose specific information from a patient's own (radiographs, exchanged messages) regardless of whether a patient speak well or bad about him.

The doctor tells me that one of his patient sent by mail planning how to perform postoperative leg. This patient told him to remain under supervision for 1-2 months in Barcelona al MIC apartments to control evolution. This patient two week after surgery decided to return to his country, so the doctor could not track the patient. The patient was sent just 2 radiographs during lengthening and healing phase.

The doctor has told me more things of messages exchanged each other by whatsapp,, the patient told him that he does to a normal life and traveling.

I do not want to go into the details of these messages but they give a lot to think about this case.
Are you Cooper this patient?

If you are this patient, I think you have to be more honest. Not all doctors are bad, and not all patients are saints.

This surgery has many risks and if certain guidelines are not followed, the risks increase.

I hope you get to meet the expectations that you have marked.

About Justice in Spain, you can go to the Spanish courts and if you do not agree with the verdict, you can go to the European Union. The courts of the European Union are above Spain, Germany or any other european country. 

As I said I'm not the judge, only I bring here the point of view of the doctor, but if I have not post more information that doctor told me about this case, because I think that this is enough, and I do not look for a guilty.

This is like when a plane goes down, it is not only the amount of things but is the accumulation of many things which brings down a plane.

My best wishes Cooper.

paddy10tellys

« Reply #144 on: March 30, 2016, 06:28:43 PM »

Got to say it... Monegal (& other surgeons) can't respond to hearsay/psychodrama on public forums because they are bound by confidentiality. They could (all of them) just decide not to bother doing CLL, at all...
Ht 169.5 cms. Wingspan 165cms. Arms 72cms. Femur-tibia length ratio = 56/44. Wants 175cms. Tibias only

Bob

« Reply #145 on: March 30, 2016, 07:07:25 PM »

« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 08:00:03 PM by Bob »

ShortDarkAndHandsome

• Visitor
« Reply #146 on: April 01, 2016, 05:28:36 PM »

First and foremost, I’d like to wish Cooper a full & speedy recovery. At the end of the day the health and function of his limbs is the most important thing here.

Ban monegal effective immediately and stop any patient going to him wherever possible. If I can save one life, leg or limb than I feel my diary has serve good for this community. Why let dishonest/crook surgeon come to forum and exploit the harmony of forum and most importantly destroyed people lives.

I do however want to voice my opinion on comments he’s made that I don’t particularly find balanced/fair. Now, before all of you known trolls come out of the woodwork to tell me that I’m a fake, made-up patient who doesn’t know what he’s talking about then let me stop you in your tracks.  I know Cooper. I was in Barcelona doing bilateral femurs when he arrived for his tibia surgery.  I showed him around the guest house before his operation, and we’ve broken bread together many times since. I have a tremendous amount of respect for Cooper, not only as a fellow patient, but also as a human being that has been VERY successful in the REAL world due to his own hard-work and perseverance.

Therefore, you can imagine that he was at the top of my list when it came time to talk about possibly doing bilateral tibias with Dr. Monegal. I spoke to Cooper on the phone for more than an hour about his tibia complications, his post-op dialog w/ Monegal, and his follow up visits with other doctors.  Yet, after hearing all of his complaints I still decided to give Dr. Monegal the benefit of the doubt and I went through with my bilateral tibia surgery.  YES, you’ve read that correctly. Even after hearing the “nightmare” that Cooper experienced, I still opted to undergo the exact same surgery with the exact same doctor. Do I regret this decision? No, not at all. If you’re wondering, why? Keep reading.

As always there are two sides to every story. As was explained to me, Monegal did recognize that Cooper had a problem, largely due to misalignment that had occurred during the distraction process. However, to Dr. Monegal, this misalignment was always within a manageable range and his intention was to correct this when Cooper returned to have his other tibia operated on. Unfortunately, by this time Cooper had lost all faith in Dr. Monegal and shut him out completely. From my understanding the proposed fix should have taken Monegal approx. 15 min via the manipulation of Cooper’s leg and some existing screws. The end result would have been the introduction of a “polar” screw that sits behind the fitbone nail and anchors it in place so that it cannot deviate inside the tibial canal.  As a preventative measure Monegal placed 2 such “polar” screws in my tibias and I can tell you that I suffer from no misalignment. I have lengthened 4.5cm to date and my implants are anchored just as well as they were the day of surgery. I have little to no discomfort, have ankle flexion of 120 degrees, and am generating bone in both tibias and fibulas.

To surmise:
Do I think that Cooper had legitimate concerns regarding the evolution of his tibia? Yes, absolutely.
Do I think that Dr. Monegal was willing, wanting, and capable of addressing Cooper’s concerns? Yes, I do. If he’s talented enough to fix compound fractures & limbs on the verge of amputation under his watch as an orthopedic trauma surgeon, I doubt cosmetic misalignments fall beyond his ability.
Do I have an opinion on whose fault it was that Dr. Monegal lost Cooper’s trust? That’s finger pointing that wouldn’t do anyone any good. At the end of the day I think there was a massive failure in communication between patient/doctor, and had this not been the case the outcome may have been very very different.

Moral of the story:
LL is extreme surgery. Complications can & do arise. Doctors are not perfect nor infallible. Patients are not perfect nor infallible. If you don’t have 100% confidence in your surgeon, or have reason to believe that your confidence in them may be eroded should you encounter a complication, DO NOT commit to surgery.

Best to all & happy lengthening.

goldenegg

« Reply #147 on: April 01, 2016, 06:02:48 PM »

I also don't think it is other patients place to come here and defend the doctor when Cooper's major complication is real.

agreed. how could they possibly know more about cooper's situation than cooper himself.

Got to say it... Monegal (& other surgeons) can't respond to hearsay/psychodrama on public forums because they are bound by confidentiality. They could (all of them) just decide not to bother doing CLL, at all...

Not a problem at all if the surgeon is unethical to begin with.  it seems the doctor is disclosing details of cooper's case to his other patients who, for some reason, feel compelled to elaborate on cooper's case on the forum.

Bob

« Reply #148 on: April 01, 2016, 07:42:30 PM »

Hey ShortDarkAndHandsome. I appreciate your info. Thank you.

Nightwish

« Reply #149 on: April 01, 2016, 07:43:27 PM »

ShortDarkAndHandsome, see, my problem is that Dr M in emails very much implied music maker was his only complication.... That isn't the case...
Height: 166cm
Wingspan: 168cm
Goal: 172cm
Facial Hair Growth: Pre puberty
Dance Move: The sprinkler

Bob

« Reply #150 on: April 02, 2016, 01:58:05 AM »

musicmaker, I am interested in surgery with external fixation. Do you know if Dr. Monegal  often use external fixation like Taylor Spatial Frame and Truelock Hexapod in surgeries in leg deformity corrections and LL ? 

chineseguy

« Reply #151 on: April 02, 2016, 03:27:55 AM »

why it is so expensive to fix cooper $10,0000 and it is a minor complication?

TIBIKE200

« Reply #152 on: April 02, 2016, 04:08:51 AM »

Of course easy complications... Curved tibia (worse that malallignment) with a malplaced fibula. Sure you can just open and move all the lengthened bones like nothing happened (Stupid Ilizarov for inventing a device that was created just for that! Since curved bones are not easily dealt with).

You are a liar music maker. The fact that you defend a doc that screwed your leg shows that something is mentally broken with you. 1 years crippled and you are ok with it.
I learned some stuff during this time

Nightwish

« Reply #153 on: April 02, 2016, 10:13:10 AM »

We should distinguish between obstacles, problems and complications, according to Paley's classification ("Problems, obstacles, and complications of limb lengthening", Clin Orthop Relat Res 250, 1990, 81-104) (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2403498). In Dr. Paley's words,

Since Cooper's problem could be easily fixed when doing his second leg, his was not a 'complication', according to Paley's classification, whereas mine indeed were. Dr Monegal was not lying.

Oh give over please.

Complication

MEDICINE
a secondary disease or condition aggravating an already existing one.

The definition there is quite clear. When Dr Birkholtz talks about complications, the definition is quite clear. When Dr Guichet talks about complications, the definition is quite clear.

The e-mail from Dr Monegal states he has only had screw pushes and yourself (I wish you a speedy recovery), when I ask about complications I think it's fairly obvious to all and sundry that I'm going by the dictionary definition, not some medical classification of different issues. There is a quite clear admittance of Cooper's situation. I think anyone would understand Cooper's is a complication, and if you are redefining words, I still think it is clear that when I ask about complications, Cooper's condition is something I would very much want to know. I certainly view failure to mention Cooper's situation as lying by admission.

See Cooper's point 1.

Having had a conversation with another person who was debating Dr Monegal, he was also under the same impression as I regarding complications. I also understand from Lluser's earlier post, it was this that pissed him off.

At the end of the day, I am, we all are, playing roulette with our health and mobility plus it costs an absolute ton. What we all want is accurate information in order to gauge our most appropriate move.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 11:04:55 AM by Nightwish »
Height: 166cm
Wingspan: 168cm
Goal: 172cm
Facial Hair Growth: Pre puberty
Dance Move: The sprinkler

Lgazer

« Reply #154 on: April 02, 2016, 11:26:12 PM »

This man has a load of bad cases. All doctors have bad cases but the facts prove this one isn't honest.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up