Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Dr Franz Birkholtz (Pretoria, South Africa)  (Read 287104 times)

Franz

• Verified LL Doctor
Re: Dr Franz Birkholtz (Pretoria, South Africa)
« Reply #310 on: July 25, 2014, 03:08:11 PM »

Franz  pics not wotk :( can you upload some photos from hospital? rooms. etc.

Admin,

Could you guys maybe look into this?

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #311 on: July 25, 2014, 03:13:15 PM »

Admin,

Could you guys maybe look into this?

Sure thing. The admin will look into it. Hopefully the photos can be restored.
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

Wannabegiant

« Reply #312 on: July 25, 2014, 03:22:28 PM »

Hi Dr Franz,

If you have the time, could you please tell me your opinion about my x-rays i took yesterday and how my healing is going? Maybe a rough idea about how much time i might need? i asked my local doctor as well as my Russian doctor, but your opinion would be just as valuable.

I uploaded them just now in this thread on the bottom:

http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=320.msg13342#new

I did the surgery, Mars 01 this year, so almost 5 months since then. Lengthened about 4.3 cm, my left leg is a bit behind due to shlatters disease (i did less weight bearing on it in the early LL phase) and i added 1.5 mm extra on it in consolidation phase to lessen the discreprency.

Thank you in advance would appreciate your opinion alot

Franz

• Verified LL Doctor
« Reply #313 on: July 25, 2014, 05:04:26 PM »

Hi Dr Franz,

If you have the time, could you please tell me your opinion about my x-rays i took yesterday and how my healing is going? Maybe a rough idea about how much time i might need? i asked my local doctor as well as my Russian doctor, but your opinion would be just as valuable.

I uploaded them just now in this thread on the bottom:

http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=320.msg13342#new

I did the surgery, Mars 01 this year, so almost 5 months since then. Lengthened about 4.3 cm, my left leg is a bit behind due to shlatters disease (i did less weight bearing on it in the early LL phase) and i added 1.5 mm extra on it in consolidation phase to lessen the discreprency.

Thank you in advance would appreciate your opinion alot

Your doctor will be the best person to help you there. But your healing seems to be going well.

Wannabegiant

« Reply #314 on: July 25, 2014, 05:35:24 PM »

Your doctor will be the best person to help you there. But your healing seems to be going well.

okey thank you  :)

Franz

• Verified LL Doctor
« Reply #315 on: July 25, 2014, 05:44:50 PM »

okey thank you  :)
I'm sorry, but it would not be a good idea to get involved im advising when your frames should come off. I can only really do that with my own patients. But the average is around 1.5-2 montha per centimetre. My guess is you'll be closer to the lower end of the range.

Wannabegiant

« Reply #316 on: July 25, 2014, 05:47:03 PM »

I'm sorry, but it would not be a good idea to get involved im advising when your frames should come off. I can only really do that with my own patients. But the average is around 1.5-2 montha per centimetre. My guess is you'll be closer to the lower end of the range.

No worries, im happy for the response! i hope you are right about the lower end, my local doctor seems to think so too :p

Daylight

« Reply #317 on: August 26, 2014, 02:56:59 AM »

Hi Dr Franz,
I have been emailing you for a few days. The South Africa high commission is asking me for the surgery schedule, and the estimated cost. I think these are the last documents that they ask from me before I could get the visa and go to SA.

ShortyMcShort

« Reply #318 on: August 26, 2014, 05:23:18 AM »

Hi Daylight, what kind of visa are you applying for?

Daylight

« Reply #319 on: August 26, 2014, 12:09:04 PM »

Hi Daylight, what kind of visa are you applying for?
I am applying for a visitor visa.

Taller

« Reply #320 on: September 05, 2014, 06:17:04 PM »

Hello Dr. Birkholtz. I have a question for you, if you don't mind.

During your time practicing and studying orthopedic medicine, how much variation in the following proportional ratios have you seen between your patients?

Leg to upper body height ratio
Femur to tibia ratio
Femur to torso ratio

Thank you very much for your time.

ReadRothbard

« Reply #321 on: September 30, 2014, 08:06:28 PM »

Bc it's Africa. Nobody has any idea of what they're doing.

What sane person goes to Africa?

SOUTH Africa. It's a developed, relatively-peaceful country--especially the big cities. It would be ridiculous to compare South Africa to undeveloped rest of Africa.
“If you're afraid - don't do it, - if you're doing it - don't be afraid!” ― Genghis Khan

172 cm in the morning (67.8"); 170 cm (67”) at night; Sitting Height: 96 cm (37.8”); Goal: 184.5 cm (6'0.7"); Ultimate Goal: 192 cm (6’3.5) morning height, 190 cm (6’3) “night” height
Future space tycoon

tallerbetter

« Reply #322 on: February 20, 2015, 05:25:16 PM »

I like this doctor very much.

axelf

« Reply #323 on: February 20, 2015, 05:55:37 PM »

Why

tallerbetter

« Reply #324 on: February 20, 2015, 05:57:14 PM »

Why

BEcause of his relatively good prices and his good answers at the forum. This is an option to consider.

ItsMyLife

« Reply #325 on: February 20, 2015, 07:49:52 PM »

SOUTH Africa. It's a developed, relatively-peaceful country--especially the big cities. It would be ridiculous to compare South Africa to undeveloped rest of Africa.

people think Africa as a continent is undeveloped.. S. Africa a developed nation? or is it developing and close to developed...?

tallerbetter

« Reply #326 on: February 20, 2015, 11:52:39 PM »

people think Africa as a continent is undeveloped.. S. Africa a developed nation? or is it developing and close to developed...?

I don't know much about South Africa but I think it's pretty developed.

ItsMyLife

« Reply #327 on: February 24, 2015, 04:59:24 PM »

Hi,

I am not aware of any data to suggest that it is purely due to the ratio change. I think it is more the muscle length changes as well as the surgical trauma. If this is the case, athletic ability will worsen with further surgery.

Not sure this is the aswer you wanted, though!

Hi Doctor,

My Russian doctor initially suggested me to do femur + tibia. But once he learnt I could be happy with 8 cm, he said I would have greater athletic recovery with 8 cm tibia (even though my femur-tibia ratio would be very close to 1); at first, he said 7-8 cm tibia, 4 cm femur. But now, he seems reluctant to do femur if I wanna retain athleticism.

In other words, it seems you agree with him:
1. minimise surgical trauma - avoid a second surgery
2. the ratio may not be that important
3. minimise muscle and soft tissue changes by avoiding 2nd surgery

Of course, no studies are done, but this is what you think?
Am I right?

I know you said not to exceed 5 cm but I am now at 5.2 with no soft tissue problems or much pain or sleep problems.

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #328 on: February 25, 2015, 06:05:48 PM »

Hi,

I am not aware of any data to suggest that it is purely due to the ratio change. I think it is more the muscle length changes as well as the surgical trauma. If this is the case, athletic ability will worsen with further surgery.

Not sure this is the aswer you wanted, though!

Thanks for the reply. I'd much rather have the honest information over what I would ideally like to hear. I'm kind of happy that there's more reason for me to not have to go through this again.  :D
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

Franz

• Verified LL Doctor
« Reply #329 on: March 10, 2015, 07:46:49 PM »

Hi guys,

We've looked at the numbers again. There is currently a lot of volatility in the international currency exchange rates. For this reason we have decided to change our costing model so that the quoted price is in South African Rand (ZAR). We pay the subcontractors in Rand so it makes sense to peg the price locally. This will obviously make our prices more competitive to some people and less so to others.
Secondly, we have started a second office at the brand new state of the art Mediclinic Midstream Hospital with fantastic facilities. We will be offering our CLL services at this hospital. It is more upmarket and discreet. The price quoted is for a private room in this facility (flat screen tv, private bathroom etc).
Remember that although we are getting progressively more known for internal lengthening with Precice, we have had many years of experience with the Ilizarov method, Taylor Spatial Frame, Truelok and Truelok Hex frames as well as other techniques. Therefore we can offer a high level of expertise and care should you require external fixator based treatment.
Lastly, we have decided to include all medical related costs into our package price estimates, but to leave accommodation costs out for now. The issue with accommodation is that the cost can vary widely depending on the option chosen. We can however put you in touch with relevant facilities that provide accommodation services.
The package includes:
- all hospital fees
- surgeon, assistant and anaesthetic fees
- prosthesis (implant) fees
- multidisciplinary team support
- physio daily in hospital and 3-5 days per week as outpatient
- regular doctor and nursing follow ups
- xray follow ups
- walking frame and wheelchair rental

For Precice 2 femorals it works out to 550K ZAR. Current exchange rate = 45800 USD.
Externals only: 300K ZAR. Current exchange rate = 25000 USD.
LON/LATP: 400K ZAR. Current exchange rate = 33000 USD.

I hope this clears up some confusion.

tallerbetter

« Reply #330 on: March 11, 2015, 11:44:49 PM »

Hi guys,

We've looked at the numbers again. There is currently a lot of volatility in the international currency exchange rates. For this reason we have decided to change our costing model so that the quoted price is in South African Rand (ZAR). We pay the subcontractors in Rand so it makes sense to peg the price locally. This will obviously make our prices more competitive to some people and less so to others.
Secondly, we have started a second office at the brand new state of the art Mediclinic Midstream Hospital with fantastic facilities. We will be offering our CLL services at this hospital. It is more upmarket and discreet. The price quoted is for a private room in this facility (flat screen tv, private bathroom etc).
Remember that although we are getting progressively more known for internal lengthening with Precice, we have had many years of experience with the Ilizarov method, Taylor Spatial Frame, Truelok and Truelok Hex frames as well as other techniques. Therefore we can offer a high level of expertise and care should you require external fixator based treatment.
Lastly, we have decided to include all medical related costs into our package price estimates, but to leave accommodation costs out for now. The issue with accommodation is that the cost can vary widely depending on the option chosen. We can however put you in touch with relevant facilities that provide accommodation services.
The package includes:
- all hospital fees
- surgeon, assistant and anaesthetic fees
- prosthesis (implant) fees
- multidisciplinary team support
- physio daily in hospital and 3-5 days per week as outpatient
- regular doctor and nursing follow ups
- xray follow ups
- walking frame and wheelchair rental

For Precice 2 femorals it works out to 550K ZAR. Current exchange rate = 45800 USD.
Externals only: 300K ZAR. Current exchange rate = 25000 USD.
LON/LATP: 400K ZAR. Current exchange rate = 33000 USD.

I hope this clears up some confusion.

More expensive then... So sad! It was my first option.

growfrance

• Visitor
« Reply #331 on: March 12, 2015, 01:00:57 AM »

More expensive then... So sad! It was my first option.

In US dollars is about 10k less now...

galaxy1

« Reply #332 on: March 12, 2015, 05:53:25 AM »

In US dollars is about 10k less now...
There is some minor price adjustments done from the original price list (on page one) because now the accommodation is no longer included in the total package. There isn't much of a difference from the original price quotes, it's just that you will now be responsible for obtaining your own accommodation. Depending on your housing preferences/needs, that may or may not save you a few bucks.

Sean Connery

• Newbi
« Reply #333 on: March 12, 2015, 06:14:28 AM »

If surgical trauma is a big factor, would that mean that athletic ability is adversely affected the least using external only methods? Because there is no reaming or going through the knee isnt surgical trauma from exfix minimal on tibias? Or is this incorrect?
I'm not drunk! I'm Scottish!

Lucy Fae

• Visitor
« Reply #334 on: June 01, 2015, 06:52:24 PM »

Hello Dr Franz Birkholtz. I am currently residing in Vereeniging. I would like to undergo the limb lengthening with the PRECICE 2 but only in 2 years time from now. My problem is I don't want to lengthen my legs but rather shorten it. I read from Dr Paley's webpage that the Precice device can either shorten or lengthen legs. I have really long and lanky legs and it makes me feel uncomfortable. But I have a long torso as well. I would like to shorten my femurs so that my legs are just a little longer than my torso, not very long. How long would it take it shorten the femurs 6 cm? And can I still do normal activities while I am undergoing leg shortening? I would like to shorten my legs purely for aesthetic and cosmetic reasons

Blackhawk

« Reply #335 on: June 01, 2015, 07:04:07 PM »

Hello Dr Franz Birkholtz. I am currently residing in Vereeniging. I would like to undergo the limb lengthening with the PRECICE 2 but only in 2 years time from now. My problem is I don't want to lengthen my legs but rather shorten it. I read from Dr Paley's webpage that the Precice device can either shorten or lengthen legs. I have really long and lanky legs and it makes me feel uncomfortable. But I have a long torso as well. I would like to shorten my femurs so that my legs are just a little longer than my torso, not very long. How long would it take it shorten the femurs 6 cm? And can I still do normal activities while I am undergoing leg shortening? I would like to shorten my legs purely for aesthetic and cosmetic reasons

Hi Lucy,

How tall are you and could you tell us your age?

Lucy Fae

• Visitor
« Reply #336 on: June 01, 2015, 07:33:44 PM »

Hi Lucy,

How tall are you and could you tell us your age?

I am 23 and im 174 cm tall i would like to be 168 cm tall. I would like to be shorter than I am now purely for aesthetic reasons

paco1

« Reply #337 on: June 01, 2015, 08:47:34 PM »

I think your height is fine.
your height is like the models.

KrP1

« Reply #338 on: June 01, 2015, 08:50:39 PM »

there is no way you should do that, your height is perfectly fine, most males are taller than you and your height is considered a model height so you only could get benefits for that, long legs in womens are beautifull

Sean Connery

• Newbi
« Reply #339 on: June 01, 2015, 09:04:11 PM »

Modeling isnt the be all end all for women. Statistically 174 cm is quite tall for a woman so it makes sense she may feel awkward or too leggy.
I'm not drunk! I'm Scottish!

Lucy Fae

• Visitor
« Reply #340 on: June 02, 2015, 11:15:10 AM »

Modeling isnt the be all end all for women. Statistically 174 cm is quite tall for a woman so it makes sense she may feel awkward or too leggy.
You are right I feel awkward and too leggy. I want to be shorter than most males and this may sound weird but I want my legs a bit shorter than my torso it just looks nice to me that way
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17   Go Up