Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Is COMPLETE recovery likely when doing 4 cm external?  (Read 16770 times)

crimsontide

Re: Is COMPLETE recovery likely when doing 4 cm external?
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2014, 03:57:50 PM »

uppland,

ill tell u right now how to avoid issues... get a release before lengthening....  better than getting ballerina... no amount of pt will work for many people....

Polycrates.

• Tyrant and Legatus Augusti pro praetore of LL Forum
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2014, 04:04:19 PM »

From personal experience I wouldn't bother thinking too much about the supposed limitations to lengthening unless it is concerning proportion. Everyone has different levels of flexibility before hand. I was told I had good flexibility before and I am still struggling mightily to get rid of this ballerina now.

All you can do is take it upon yourself to keep on top of it as you're lengthening if you ever decide to do this. Once you hit 90 degrees and you begin to develop the downward contracture  at the ankle you can stop or you can keep going. If you keep going just keep in mind you will be in for months upon months of stretching to get it back to just 90 degrees. Then you have to get the 20-30 degrees of dorsiflexion back after that to be able to walk normal again.... That's where I am right now. 90 degrees is not good enough to appear normal.
Tibial LON for 6cm- Nov 2013, Dr Sringari -177/178cm to 183/184cm
Prospective Femoral Lengthening w/ Precise 3 (if out) Nail for 7cm- Jan 2019, Dr Birkholtz -183/184cm to 190/191cm

And it was here that he professed to his disciples: all of life's bounties lay somewhere upon the dreaded bell curve

crimsontide

« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2014, 04:12:51 PM »

forget about having months of ballerina, if not forever

get surgery if it becomes even moderate...  ballerina is a major thing.... idk why people refuse to get surgery to correct their ballerina... ballerina is truly awful

« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2014, 04:23:03 PM »

I don't know about you guys. I also had horrible ballerina but after few weeks of brutal physio it was gone. I think most of you are just really lazy...

I did physio every day since the day of the operation and then I didn't do physio for a few weeks while lengthening and bam, horrible ballerina BUT after a few weeks of 2 hours+ of physio (which hurt like hell) it was gone. If I hadn't done any physio, I would still have problems with that but I worked really hard against it. I mean you can stretch your muscles a lot just look at ballerinas.

But you need to work for that. Of course something with the exfix could cause some complications but they are very rare.

Overdozer

« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2014, 04:40:16 PM »

uppland,

ill tell u right now how to avoid issues... get a release before lengthening....  better than getting ballerina... no amount of pt will work for many people....
Having lengthened 7.5cm on my tib I never had even signs of ballerina. So that's not very wise thing to do. Your main PT against ballerina should be verticalization, I mean walking and standing a lot. Also I always used (and still use lol) that crap to support my feet (not sure how it's called) when I', laying around.
Pre-surgery - 167 cm, Post-surgery - 181 cm
Final arm span - 177 cm, Sitting height - 90 cm

Lengthened 7.5 cm in tibias and femurs and 3.5 cm in each humerus. Surgeries performed all external by Dr. Kulesh, in Saint-Petersburg, Russia - http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=1671.0

crimsontide

« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2014, 04:43:10 PM »

exclide,

you are wrong in my opinion

no offense but your one case holds little weight compared to the vast majority of people that get ballerina... as we'll as against the practice of top drs that routinely do releases for both femur and tibia

i know in my case for sure i had to have surgery, and should have had release done... you are one of the lucky ones

Uppland

« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2014, 04:55:54 PM »

Is there anything I most likely won't ever be able to after the surgery?
Such as mountain climbing, jumping from tall heights or play rough sports like american football.

Polycrates.

« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2014, 04:59:57 PM »

I am also against automatic releases unless a competent doctor advises it is medically necessary. I've only recently committed to intense physio and it's getting better on a daily basis. I was afraid to go all out right after frame removal in fear that I break the nail, but now that I'm pretty much consolidated and back at work and my nonunion has been resolved I can finally focus entirely on the soft tissues.

As 123 said, don't be lazy during the lengthening unless you want to spend the months after the fact reversing the accumulated ballerina. I enjoyed my time laying lifelessly in bed rather than standing during lengthening, so like Medium Drink, I had to focus on soft tissue recovery recovery at home.
Prospective Femoral Lengthening w/ Precise 3 (if out) Nail for 7cm- Jan 2019, Dr Birkholtz -183/184cm to 190/191cm

And it was here that he professed to his disciples: all of life's bounties lay somewhere upon the dreaded bell curve

Polycrates.

« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2014, 05:04:42 PM »

123, If you could be so kind as to share the exercises you used to reverse the ballerina you had, it would be greatly appreciated by me and many other I am sure.

crimsontide

« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2014, 05:14:09 PM »

competent  doctors do releases before surgery.... paley,catagni,etc\   you can see members on here suffering from ballerina years after surgery, yet insist on doing pt.... the more time your ankle is contracted, the   more likely you will suffer permanent soft tissue/ankle damage... i had worse ballerina than anyone on here.... by far... and I'm ok now because i had surgery.... you can choose to suffer in agony or have surgery... to me the choice is very easy

i

Wannabegiant

« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2014, 05:28:59 PM »

Its better to not do the release if possible, you wont ever recover 100% if you do a release, it weakens the tendon. Uppland you mentioned that sports and being active was very important to you, then definitely avoid releases. With lots of standing and pt during the lengthening phase, you can avoid or fix the ballerina foot without any release, and many people have done so, even people who did over 6 cm.

crimsontide

« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2014, 05:32:36 PM »

you will not notice a difference in functionality if you do a release...and that is all that matters... and no.... you can't always always fix the ballerina with pt alone.... this is according to dr rozbruch and dr shah

you can choose who you wanna believe... posters on here or medical drs... who btw do releases before lengthening starts

Uppland

« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2014, 05:36:06 PM »

I'm not following the discussion..

crimsontide

« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2014, 05:39:33 PM »

uppland,

its very simple.... you're worried about complications while lengthening

equinus  aka ballerina is a very common  complication from tibia lengthening... you might not get it, but once you lengthen you a certain amount, you will almost certainly acquire some degree of equinus, even if you do not notice it.... if you want to avoid it for sure, get a release

some cases can be lessened by pt, others can not... i am one of the can nots.. I can tell you from experience that ballerina foot is awful... and should not be minimized... i don't care if i sound like the grim reaper... ballerina foot   can ruin your life if it gets severe

Wannabegiant

« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2014, 05:41:13 PM »

you will not notice a difference in functionality if you do a release...and that is all that matters... and no.... you can't always always fix the ballerina with pt alone.... this is according to dr rozbruch and dr shah

you can choose who you wanna believe... posters on here or medical drs... who btw do releases before lengthening starts

This is factually wrong, you will notice a difference if you do a release if you are active in sports, also when you get older chances are it could become a lot worse. If you do the lengthening and pt correctly, then very rarely will you need a release, some people do because their muscles and tendonds are not able to stretch much, but otherwise only those who are lazy will need it.

crimsontide

« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2014, 05:45:39 PM »

wannabe, you're simply wrong... theres a reason drs do it

and if members are so worried about their sports careers, they shouldn't  have their legs broken, and bones lengthened

btw, i missed that video of you walking???

listen guys...  be wary of what you read on here... i'll post  x rays in the next week or so of my ballerina... and the fact i now have frames off after 5 months, lengthening over 7 cm, without nailing or plating,and why??? a major reason is because i had the  surgery done

crimsontide

« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2014, 05:51:29 PM »

i won't even argue this... i truly care about the members here... and for those wondering about  how bad ballerina is... you should listen to those that have had it... the proof is in the pudding....  forget theory, and look at real world examples

members have ballerina for years in some cases

it is awful, and some will get it no matter what... sweden still has it, and he does pt and martial arts...

you do not want ballerina.... it is that bad.... i'm not exaggerating...   i think polycrates would agree on this, even though he doesn't advocate for releases.... imo,ballerina is the worst side effect of  external tibia lengthening outside of non union

good luck guys, and i hope everyone ends up with a good prognosis... perhaps i was likely, but i doubt it

Wannabegiant

« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2014, 05:58:33 PM »

wannabe, you're simply wrong... theres a reason drs do it

and if members are so worried about their sports careers, they shouldn't  have their legs broken, and bones lengthened

btw, i missed that video of you walking???

listen guys...  be wary of what you read on here... i'll post  x rays in the next week or so of my ballerina... and the fact i now have frames off after 5 months, lengthening over 7 cm, without nailing or plating,and why??? a major reason is because i had the  surgery done

Nope, its you who are wrong crimson. Deal with it. Doctors do not recommend it, but since it is neccessary at times, especially if the patients did several mistakes and wants to be able to walk without waiting several months it can be worth it depending on how much they are willing to sacrifice their ability to do sports.

and i might do a video, but i dont need to prove anything to you since it was already established in your own diary that you are a liar, where you denied that you got all the info you needed from the russian guy and still failed to do it right.

G-Man

« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2014, 06:02:08 PM »

Pretty much my height then. Why did you choose an internal nail?
I don't know much about this surgery yet but I got the feeling from wannabegiant that external was easier on the knees.

Also if anyone in here has done LL and ended up with aching knees how bad is the pain?
Is it constant or appears under certain conditions?
Is it a hindrance in everyday life or more an annoyance?

External on tibs are easier on the knees because you don't insert a nail in your tibs via the knee which could lead to some discomfort or pain. 
I'm planning to do internal on femurs where the nail is inserted via the hips.

If I was doing tibs, I would do external only as well.

« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2014, 06:15:26 PM »

123, If you could be so kind as to share the exercises you used to reverse the ballerina you had, it would be greatly appreciated by me and many other I am sure.

Sure, I mainly used this exercise:http://www.dr-gumpert.de/uploads/RTEmagicC_Dehnung_Wadenmuskulatur.jpg.jpg

Hold this position until you muscles start to hurt, then keep it for a few minutes. Rinse and repeat as much as you can.

Uppland

« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2014, 06:16:12 PM »

What is a "release" exactly?

Also on another note I found some national statistics on average height in sweden in case anyone is still interested. It is 1 cm less than I thought but SCB has very high credibility so I can only admit I probably was wrong. Asked dad if he felt tall at 187 cm and he said no but added that most people are shorter than him although not by much.

I tried to attach the file don't know if it worked, never used a forum before.
It's in swedish of course so for anyone who just want a number it's roughly 181 cm.

crimsontide

« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2014, 06:16:28 PM »

wannabe, no offense,   u were never going to post a video, because your recovery has not gone well... and you  have a chip on your shoulder... boo hoo...

and because i took matters in my own hands, i am almost done with this.... again... even rozbruch said the frames are garbage... and i was lucky my legs are straight as one of the nails was extremely  crooked... again, a miracle in rozbruchs words

i hate to see people go to bagirov because of u.....

ill let the thread get back on topic

uppland.... when u read these diaries, and get advice, look for actual case studies and proof, such as videos,x rays, etc

also, take into consideration the worst case scenario... even if it is not likely

i had externals done, and am now wearing a cast for a month or two... no knee pain at all... if you do external, you will not get knee pain if done correctly

i might get femurs done....  if i do, i'll let you know how that goes.... good luck with your journey

Polycrates.

« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2014, 06:16:47 PM »

From what I've heard, even Dr. Paley advises against any type of release in the lower limbs unless you are really tight. I know he routinely does the ITB release, but seldom likes to release anything in the heel unless absolutely necessary. So no, most doctors do not seem to routinely practice the achilles release. Where did you gather that from?

crimsontide

« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2014, 06:20:52 PM »

uppland,

it depends, could be gastric, etc or could be actual  ta lengthening

its done to correct or prevent equinus contracture

crimsontide

« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2014, 06:25:20 PM »

poly/... ill get back to u on palsy

regarding rozbruch...  i know he was going to do a release on me, so thats from personal experience.... dr catagni... you can see on his page,  and dr shah also told me that about catagni

Wannabegiant

« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2014, 06:25:46 PM »

wannabe, no offense,   u were never going to post a video, because your recovery has not gone well... and you  have a chip on your shoulder... boo hoo...

and because i took matters in my own hands, i am almost done with this.... again... even rozbruch said the frames are garbage... and i was lucky my legs are straight as one of the nails was extremely  crooked... again, a miracle in rozbruchs words

i hate to see people go to bagirov because of u.....

ill let the thread get back on topic

uppland.... when u read these diaries, and get advice, look for actual case studies and proof, such as videos,x rays, etc

also, take into consideration the worst case scenario... even if it is not likely

i had externals done, and am now wearing a cast for a month or two... no knee pain at all... if you do external, you will not get knee pain if done correctly

i might get femurs done....  if i do, i'll let you know how that goes.... good luck with your journey

thats hilarious, my recovery has gone a whole lot better than yours and thats a fact. I can walk very good and the x-rays show i will remove the frames this month, my right leg is fully healed and my left is almost completely healed too. I have never lied here but russian guy exposed you so we know you are lying. Btw im sure you made a mistake removing the frame so early, 7.5 cm in 5 months, there is no way that is fully healed, more likely the doctors where willing to take a risk with you since you cant even walk unaided yet.

I could have removed the frames earlier if i went to a doctor who has less restrictions and are more willing to take risks like those in India. Only reason im still in frames is because they dont take risks at Bagirovs clinic anymore. For example Rgkey was allowed to take the frames of early but the risk of getting a bent leg still existed. Im sure you will have the same risk while for me that will be almost impossible since my bone has healed more before i remove the frames.

And you are not done with anything until you can walk, which we know you cant. While i can walk almost without any issues. This is expected in this timeframe for patients who lengthen less than 6 cm and follow the rules. Nothing unusual about it.

crimsontide

« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2014, 06:31:57 PM »

everyone...

look above at what dr wannabe says without even seeing my x ray

wannabe,   i  will back down.... you know more than dr rozbruch, etc.... you're  the all knowing.... remember, i saw dr rozbruch first in ny,  read my  posts carefully

and i can walk actually.... now that ballerina is gone:)))

wannabe, post the video...   i've been calling you out for a month on this issue.... yet  after swearing there'd be a video... still none

members need to be made aware of diaries tike yours...

ill be patiently awaiting that video of you walking unaided upstairs

until then... have a nice day and god bless

Uppland

« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2014, 06:35:06 PM »

@Wannabegiant
Perhaps you could post a video showing only your legs or you might wear a mask. It's not our place to tell you what to do but I don't really see why not.

crimsontide

« Reply #59 on: September 09, 2014, 06:39:37 PM »

good idea mr upland

ill post x rays,etc photos, perhaps video in next week or so for you... so  you can make a more informed decision... you won't be able to see the scars on my leg though, as i have a cast on... but the x rays, ballerina comparison, and me perhaps walking will give you an idea

Polycrates.

« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2014, 06:41:38 PM »

Sure, I mainly used this exercise:http://www.dr-gumpert.de/uploads/RTEmagicC_Dehnung_Wadenmuskulatur.jpg.jpg

Hold this position until you muscles start to hurt, then keep it for a few minutes. Rinse and repeat as much as you can.

Thank you. This has been my bread and butter exercise, so it's good to hear you reaffirm its efficacy.

Wannabegiant

« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2014, 06:42:22 PM »

everyone...

look above at what dr wannabe says without even seeing my x ray

wannabe,   i  will back down.... you know more than dr rozbruch, etc.... you're  the all knowing.... remember, i saw dr rozbruch first in ny,  read my  posts carefully

and i can walk actually.... now that ballerina is gone:)))

wannabe, post the video...   i've been calling you out for a month on this issue.... yet  after swearing there'd be a video... still none

members need to be made aware of diaries tike yours...

ill be patiently awaiting that video of you walking unaided upstairs

until then... have a nice day and god bless

You even said in your diary you needed crutches because of your left leg, so you already mentioned that you cant walk unaided. Members need to know that they should avoid doing the same mistakes like you did and that releases are not a good solution.

Btw i just made a video of me walking in the stairs. il be posting it now.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up