Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Dr Franz Birkholtz (Pretoria, South Africa)  (Read 286209 times)

Lucy Fae

• Visitor
Re: Dr Franz Birkholtz (Pretoria, South Africa)
« Reply #341 on: June 02, 2015, 11:17:14 AM »

there is no way you should do that, your height is perfectly fine, most males are taller than you and your height is considered a model height so you only could get benefits for that, long legs in womens are beautifull
I don't think most males are that taller than I am. I want to wear heels without looking too tall. I always want to be shorter than men. And I want a long torso and short legs. I like it that way. I know it sounds weird.

KrP1

« Reply #342 on: June 02, 2015, 12:14:41 PM »

I don't think most males are that taller than I am. I want to wear heels without looking too tall. I always want to be shorter than men. And I want a long torso and short legs. I like it that way. I know it sounds weird.

you are shorter than the average man in most occidental countries, obviously not if you wear high heels , you should wear médium or low heels and thats fine.

Lucy Fae

• Visitor
« Reply #343 on: June 02, 2015, 12:27:31 PM »

Hello guys, thank you so much of your input. I have decided against limb lengthening surgery. I have to accept what nature gave me and appreciate what I have. At least none of my limbs are shorter than each other. After lengthy research about the complications of limb lengthening and the lengthy time of lengthening and recovery. I don't want to undergo any trauma. But thank you all for taking the time to add valuable input.

Franz

• Verified LL Doctor
« Reply #344 on: November 03, 2015, 01:57:41 PM »

We have started an educational platform with some video material you may find interesting.

https://walkamile.pivotshare.com

Franz

• Verified LL Doctor
« Reply #345 on: November 10, 2015, 07:04:47 AM »

Hi guys,

We've looked at the numbers again. There is currently a lot of volatility in the international currency exchange rates. For this reason we have decided to change our costing model so that the quoted price is in South African Rand (ZAR). We pay the subcontractors in Rand so it makes sense to peg the price locally. This will obviously make our prices more competitive to some people and less so to others.
Secondly, we have started a second office at the brand new state of the art Mediclinic Midstream Hospital with fantastic facilities. We will be offering our CLL services at this hospital. It is more upmarket and discreet. The price quoted is for a private room in this facility (flat screen tv, private bathroom etc).
Remember that although we are getting progressively more known for internal lengthening with Precice, we have had many years of experience with the Ilizarov method, Taylor Spatial Frame, Truelok and Truelok Hex frames as well as other techniques. Therefore we can offer a high level of expertise and care should you require external fixator based treatment.
Lastly, we have decided to include all medical related costs into our package price estimates, but to leave accommodation costs out for now. The issue with accommodation is that the cost can vary widely depending on the option chosen. We can however put you in touch with relevant facilities that provide accommodation services.
The package includes:
- all hospital fees
- surgeon, assistant and anaesthetic fees
- prosthesis (implant) fees
- multidisciplinary team support
- physio daily in hospital and 3-5 days per week as outpatient
- regular doctor and nursing follow ups
- xray follow ups
- walking frame and wheelchair rental

For Precice 2 femorals it works out to 550K ZAR. Current exchange rate = 45800 USD.
Externals only: 300K ZAR. Current exchange rate = 25000 USD.
LON/LATP: 400K ZAR. Current exchange rate = 33000 USD.

I hope this clears up some confusion.

Price update: Current rand/dollar exchange rate means our prices are adjusted as follows:

Precice 2 femorals (above package): 42000 USD
Externals only: 22000 USD
LON/LATP: 28500 USD

kneehowguys

« Reply #346 on: November 23, 2015, 07:31:45 AM »

Price update: Current rand/dollar exchange rate means our prices are adjusted as follows:

Precice 2 femorals (above package): 42000 USD
Externals only: 22000 USD
LON/LATP: 28500 USD

Still a 165 cm upper limit? I thought I was 5'7 but in my last doctor visit, they measured me 5'6.5 though both are slightly above 165
In American feet/inches

Franz

• Verified LL Doctor
« Reply #347 on: December 03, 2015, 01:46:20 PM »

Still a 165 cm upper limit? I thought I was 5'7 but in my last doctor visit, they measured me 5'6.5 though both are slightly above 165
In American feet/inches

The upper limit of 165 is a general safety guideline, but is not an absolute limit. It depends on each individual.

aspirant185

« Reply #348 on: December 19, 2015, 08:47:14 PM »

Hello Dr. Franz,

Just out of curiosity, you have mentioned that the price of Precise is 550k ZAR. That translates to around $ 37k. Why is the case that the newly quoted price is $ 42k ? :)

Thanks !
Current afternoon height: 175.5 cm
Wingspan - 182 cm
Target height 184 cm
Considering doing 4.3 cm Femurs and 4.2 cm Tibias with Dr. Milorad Mitkovic in Serbia.

Franz

• Verified LL Doctor
« Reply #349 on: December 19, 2015, 09:04:48 PM »

Hello Dr. Franz,

Just out of curiosity, you have mentioned that the price of Precise is 550k ZAR. That translates to around $ 37k. Why is the case that the newly quoted price is $ 42k ? :)

Thanks !

It is because the nails are from the US and as the Rand weakens, the price to access them in rands increases. Remember that around 25-30k alone goes towards the price of the nails.

aspirant185

« Reply #350 on: December 19, 2015, 09:15:59 PM »

Yes, that makes sense. Just out of curiosity, why is the case that the South African currency depreciates so much in the recent months ?
Wingspan - 182 cm
Target height 184 cm
Considering doing 4.3 cm Femurs and 4.2 cm Tibias with Dr. Milorad Mitkovic in Serbia.

PatientZero

« Reply #351 on: December 20, 2015, 12:28:45 AM »

Yes, that makes sense. Just out of curiosity, why is the case that the South African currency depreciates so much in the recent months ?

I thought you said you were educated at a top German business school.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=why+is+the+south+african+rand+depreciating

Let's keep pertinent questions related to LL for Dr.Birkholtz?
Real patient doing internal femur LL, not a pretender.

theuprising

« Reply #352 on: December 20, 2015, 01:14:13 AM »

I thought you said you were educated at a top German business school.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=why+is+the+south+african+rand+depreciating

Let's keep pertinent questions related to LL for Dr.Birkholtz?

Spoil sport I was planning to ask Dr Birkholtz about his ideas for resolving conflict in the Middle East.

Franz

• Verified LL Doctor
« Reply #353 on: December 20, 2015, 04:17:32 AM »

No worries.

I am no economist - thank goodness! But currencies in the developing world are volatile. Mostly issues of confidence in the politicians and their policies. Couple that to global concerns and people moving money to safe havens. Lastly, if the politicians do stupid things like firing a perfectly good finance minister, things sometimes go a little pear shaped.

Peace in the Middle East? Now that might take a little longer...

aspirant185

« Reply #354 on: December 20, 2015, 10:26:48 AM »

No, I don't think peace in the Middle East is ever happening. There have always been wars over there, and the constitution of the countries there (that is, the Quran), calls for more war and violence.

Anyway, I sent you an email to (franz.birkholtz@walkamile.co.za) regarding the surgery that I am seriously considering with you and I look forward to discuss the details :)
Wingspan - 182 cm
Target height 184 cm

LLuser1

• Banned
« Reply #355 on: December 29, 2015, 09:01:43 PM »

Good honest doctor. Not a salesman like many others in this forum. He tells the truth, he is honest and caring
It's a pity he works so far..
Banned for wrongly implying a patient death/posting incomplete information and repeated spamming/bumping irrelevant threads to post about Dr Monegal/MMaker despite warning.

farewell

• Visitor
« Reply #356 on: December 30, 2015, 06:29:45 AM »

Hello Dr. Franz,

I have sent you two emails with regard to internal femur lengthening. Have you received it yet? I really want to get it done, but I need those question answered first. Please let me know, it's been two weeks. Thanks

Franz

• Verified LL Doctor
« Reply #357 on: January 14, 2016, 01:16:56 PM »

Hi,

We have been in contact I believe?
Anyway, if we haven't, please send another mail.

Rgds,

F

Franz

• Verified LL Doctor
« Reply #358 on: January 14, 2016, 01:34:41 PM »

I was asked by some members to update our prices as the exchange rate make it more favorable than before.

We are now able to provide self-catered accommodation in addition to the other services for the following prices:

Precice 2 femoral lengthening package 42K USD
External fixators only 20K USD
LON/LATP 28K USD

This includes hospital, surgeon, aneasthetist, implants, physio in and out of hospital, accommodation after surgery, wheelchair, crutches/walker, medication within reason, follow-up xrays etc. Ie full package, only food is excluded outside of hospital.

There has to be benefits to a weaker currency!

axelf

« Reply #359 on: January 14, 2016, 05:14:00 PM »

"medication within reason" I love it  ;D

Could you elaborate a bit further on what kind of accommodation that is?

LLuser1

• Banned
« Reply #360 on: January 14, 2016, 07:19:41 PM »

IMO people considering the doctor in Spain for his price should consider Birkholtz instead. He is in the same price range. Monegal's price is a little cheaper but doesn't include very expensive physio out of hospital, very expensive accommodation after surgery, wheelchair, medication and Xrays. IMO Birkholtz is a very good option because he is honest, professional and caring and has a very nice personality. It's a pity he works in Africa.
Banned for wrongly implying a patient death/posting incomplete information and repeated spamming/bumping irrelevant threads to post about Dr Monegal/MMaker despite warning.

Franz

• Verified LL Doctor
« Reply #361 on: January 15, 2016, 08:37:12 PM »

"medication within reason" I love it  ;D

Could you elaborate a bit further on what kind of accommodation that is?

It would typically be a selfcatering apartment (ground level) in a safe and secure gated community close to the hospital.

aspirant185

« Reply #362 on: January 16, 2016, 03:11:58 AM »

It's a pity he works in Africa.

What do you mean with that comment.?
SA is his country and thats where he works. Simple as that. You do realize that part of the affordable price is the fact that the SA currency is weak. Accordingly, his price would have been much higher had he worked in another country. He could probably work in the Netherlands, do you think if he goes there it would be the same price ? :)

As I wrote at the thread about Dr. Mitkovic, there are historic and economic and social factors why a country is..well fked up. And that does not mean that brilliant people are not born in these countries every day. In the choice of doctors, what is important is the experience and the technology of the doctor. If these are top, unless the country is in very bad situation, like in a civil war where it is dangerous to go, I see no problem. And I dont think SA is in such shape ;) I went there for the World Cup 6 years ago and I felt totally safe and had the time of my life.
Wingspan - 182 cm
Target height 184 cm

Deads

« Reply #363 on: January 17, 2016, 04:01:05 AM »

Hi guys,

We've looked at the numbers again. There is currently a lot of volatility in the international currency exchange rates. For this reason we have decided to change our costing model so that the quoted price is in South African Rand (ZAR). We pay the subcontractors in Rand so it makes sense to peg the price locally. This will obviously make our prices more competitive to some people and less so to others.
Secondly, we have started a second office at the brand new state of the art Mediclinic Midstream Hospital with fantastic facilities. We will be offering our CLL services at this hospital. It is more upmarket and discreet. The price quoted is for a private room in this facility (flat screen tv, private bathroom etc).
Remember that although we are getting progressively more known for internal lengthening with Precice, we have had many years of experience with the Ilizarov method, Taylor Spatial Frame, Truelok and Truelok Hex frames as well as other techniques. Therefore we can offer a high level of expertise and care should you require external fixator based treatment.
Lastly, we have decided to include all medical related costs into our package price estimates, but to leave accommodation costs out for now. The issue with accommodation is that the cost can vary widely depending on the option chosen. We can however put you in touch with relevant facilities that provide accommodation services.
The package includes:
- all hospital fees
- surgeon, assistant and anaesthetic fees
- prosthesis (implant) fees
- multidisciplinary team support
- physio daily in hospital and 3-5 days per week as outpatient
- regular doctor and nursing follow ups
- xray follow ups
- walking frame and wheelchair rental

For Precice 2 femorals it works out to 550K ZAR. Current exchange rate = 45800 USD.
Externals only: 300K ZAR. Current exchange rate = 25000 USD.
LON/LATP: 400K ZAR. Current exchange rate = 33000 USD.

I hope this clears up some confusion.

I searched and couldn't find the post, but the accomodation included is 90 days (3 months) right?

Franz

• Verified LL Doctor
« Reply #364 on: January 20, 2016, 07:48:49 PM »

Jip, couple of day before. 5 days in hospital and the rest of the 90 days until the visa expires.

Deads

« Reply #365 on: January 20, 2016, 11:52:28 PM »

Jip, couple of day before. 5 days in hospital and the rest of the 90 days until the visa expires.

Is food included for 3 months? If not, what are food prices like in SA?

ub40

« Reply #366 on: January 21, 2016, 03:05:01 AM »

Dr Birkholtz, I am interested in doing this with you.

I have the funds at the time but I just need to know, is Precise 2 a faster way of doing CLL and is there a risk of knee problems still?

I want to know how long this would take from beginning to end so that I can walk relatively normal through the airport to fly to  Canada.

Is it easier to get visas for medical reasons if I'm Canadian.

Would I be able to stay in the guest house for the consolidation phase as well?

Thanks for your time, I am very impressed by you regularly answering everyone's questions.
170-176 cm, May 2016 still consolidating

Franz

• Verified LL Doctor
« Reply #367 on: January 25, 2016, 01:10:58 PM »

Dr Birkholtz, I am interested in doing this with you.

I have the funds at the time but I just need to know, is Precise 2 a faster way of doing CLL and is there a risk of knee problems still?

I want to know how long this would take from beginning to end so that I can walk relatively normal through the airport to fly to  Canada.

Is it easier to get visas for medical reasons if I'm Canadian.

Would I be able to stay in the guest house for the consolidation phase as well?

Thanks for your time, I am very impressed by you regularly answering everyone's questions.

The Precice also has the potential to cause knee pain. Healing times will be similar. The big advantage of Precice lies in eliminating the need for external fixation.

Walking unaided after LON may take somewhere between 4 and 6 months after surgery.

A general visitors visa is valid for 90 days. It can usually be extended upon request with medical reports.

Yes accommodation is around 10K zar per month. Breakfast and dinner can be provided at around 170zar(10usd) per day.

Nightwish

« Reply #368 on: January 29, 2016, 09:03:52 PM »

Hi Dr Birkholtz, I've had a browse through the thread but I couldn't see anything, so apologies if I'm asking repeated questions! Also apologies if this should be in the general question thread, but I decided on here as these are specifically towards your practice as I'm 70% certain if I do decide this is right for me, I would like it to be with you - despite a fear of flying!

So I arrive in South Africa and have the operation on my femurs with Precise installed.

- Is 6cm the maximum you would be willing to do for this, and on average what would be the time taken to lengthen 6cm?

- At what stage would it be possible to weight-bear (presuming under 140lbs) after the operation, what level of functionality would be expected during lengthening, and would pre operation fitness levels have any impact on this?

- After lengthening, presuming there are no complications, what would the best and worst cases be for the recovery period to take in order to be able to:
a. walk unaided?
b. return to fairly sedentary work?
c. partake in strenuous activity, e.g. long distance running, contact sports, weight lifting etc.

- If the Precise device was to fail for any reason, what would the protocol be?
Height: 166cm
Wingspan: 168cm
Goal: 172cm
Facial Hair Growth: Pre puberty
Dance Move: The sprinkler

Stadiometer

• Esquire "Esq."
Dr Franz Birkholtz (South Africa) Midstream Mediclnic 2016 Price Update
« Reply #369 on: March 08, 2016, 09:52:05 PM »

« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 10:27:35 PM by Stadiometer »

toafrica

« Reply #370 on: March 10, 2016, 01:26:02 PM »

There's where I do my physio and mostly everything that needs to be done. I was obviously operated there also

justdoit

• Visitor
« Reply #371 on: July 04, 2016, 11:19:43 PM »

Thank you Dr. Franz,
My question is what do you think about salamehfix?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17   Go Up