Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Dr Franz Birkholtz (Pretoria, South Africa)  (Read 286152 times)

Franz

• Verified LL Doctor
Re: Dr Franz Birkholtz (Pretoria, South Africa)
« Reply #186 on: March 15, 2014, 12:36:34 AM »

thanks for your repsonse dr. franz,

so your saying if anyone does 8cm on their femurs they WILL get knee pain and arthritis in the future?

No, they will get a change in alignment. This may lead to knee pain and arthritis. It is very individual, but we cannot really predict who will and who wont.

Dingo

« Reply #187 on: March 15, 2014, 02:51:38 PM »

No, they will get a change in alignment. This may lead to knee pain and arthritis. It is very individual, but we cannot really predict who will and who wont.

Could this misalignment be corrected through a subsequent tibial LL with axis correction, on a later date after the femur LL?

shawty

« Reply #188 on: March 15, 2014, 10:34:28 PM »

Hi Dr. B,

Does have muscular legs affect the lengthening process.  For example is having muscular calves bad for tibia lengthening and strong muscles in the upper leg bad for femur lengthening.  Not sure if others might know the answer to this.

theuprising

« Reply #189 on: March 16, 2014, 01:30:25 AM »

Hi Dr. B,

Does have muscular legs affect the lengthening process.  For example is having muscular calves bad for tibia lengthening and strong muscles in the upper leg bad for femur lengthening.  Not sure if others might know the answer to this.

Hey shawty this question was answered somewhere in the general limb lengthening section a while back I'm sure you'll be able to find it. The answer was along the lines of Pilates is an ideal exercise for those doing LL to give you an idea of the degree of muscularity and flexibility that is good for LL.

One thing I've noticed with people who want big distances like 9-10 cm is that their doctor doesn't seek to stop them going for it. Some even encourage them to go at least 7 cm.

Would you stop a patient from lengthening any further than 5-6 cm or let them continue at their own risk?

shawty

« Reply #190 on: March 16, 2014, 02:14:20 AM »

Hey shawty this question was answered somewhere in the general limb lengthening section a while back I'm sure you'll be able to find it. The answer was along the lines of Pilates is an ideal exercise for those doing LL to give you an idea of the degree of muscularity and flexibility that is good for LL.

One thing I've noticed with people who want big distances like 9-10 cm is that their doctor doesn't seek to stop them going for it. Some even encourage them to go at least 7 cm.

Would you stop a patient from lengthening any further than 5-6 cm or let them continue at their own risk?

Thank you brother.  I'll search there.

TRS

« Reply #191 on: March 16, 2014, 03:12:56 AM »

Hi Dr. B,

Hey Shawty,

This was addressed here http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=347.0

alps

« Reply #192 on: March 16, 2014, 04:03:43 PM »

Can someone please give me Dr. Franz's email id? The one in the first post doesn't work.

mediocre

« Reply #193 on: March 16, 2014, 07:25:23 PM »

This worked for me.

reception(at)walkamile.co.za

His secretary will reply back. If you want his personal email, maybe you can ask her.

Can someone please give me Dr. Franz's email id? The one in the first post doesn't work.

shawty

« Reply #194 on: March 16, 2014, 11:16:21 PM »

Dr. B,

Do you lengthen femurs by any external methods?

shawty

« Reply #195 on: March 17, 2014, 09:55:32 PM »

I was looking at short term rentals in the Pretoria area,  and they are pretty cheap. I saw many 3 bedroom townhmhomes for under 1000 USD. If 3 people split the unit..it shouldn't cost more than 800 a month living expenses during lengthening/consolidation.

Franz

• Verified LL Doctor
« Reply #196 on: March 19, 2014, 10:58:14 AM »

Could this misalignment be corrected through a subsequent tibial LL with axis correction, on a later date after the femur LL?

We could readjust the mechanical axis by adjusting the tibia, but that will mean your joint is at a slight angle.

Franz

• Verified LL Doctor
« Reply #197 on: March 19, 2014, 11:00:20 AM »

You can try:
fbirkholtz@gmail.com

franz.birkholtz@walkamile.co.za

Franz

• Verified LL Doctor
« Reply #198 on: March 19, 2014, 11:01:54 AM »

Dr. B,

Do you lengthen femurs by any external methods?

Not advised due to lengthy times in frame and also knee stiffness.

amatan

« Reply #199 on: March 20, 2014, 04:54:52 AM »

Such a pity this doctor doesn't do cosmetic lengthening for patients over 165cm.  He is responsive and conservative with regards to length.  If he didn't have that requirement I would book tibia surgery with the precice asap.
Did internal femurs using the PRECICE2 with Dr. Donghoon Lee in South Korea on December 27th, 2013, went from 5'7.5" to 5'9.6".  Will probably end up doing tibias in about a year with Dr. Birkholtz to get to 5'11".

Franz

• Verified LL Doctor
« Reply #200 on: March 20, 2014, 05:43:21 AM »

The cutoff of 165 is a general rule. There may be exceptional circumstances where this rule can be relaxed. This is best discussed on a one-to-one basis.

amatan

« Reply #201 on: March 20, 2014, 07:00:21 AM »

I was 171cm and am recovering from femur surgery and am now 176.5 cm.  I don't have any exceptional circumstances other than wanting all the benefits that come with being average height and up and am far over the cutoff, so I doubt I would be a candidate. 

What sort of circumstances would constitute being exceptional?
Did internal femurs using the PRECICE2 with Dr. Donghoon Lee in South Korea on December 27th, 2013, went from 5'7.5" to 5'9.6".  Will probably end up doing tibias in about a year with Dr. Birkholtz to get to 5'11".

Franz

• Verified LL Doctor
« Reply #202 on: March 20, 2014, 02:46:12 PM »

I was 171cm and am recovering from femur surgery and am now 176.5 cm.  I don't have any exceptional circumstances other than wanting all the benefits that come with being average height and up and am far over the cutoff, so I doubt I would be a candidate. 

The most important thing is that the patient should understand what theyre letting themselves into. For this reason I think you may qualify.

Cooper

• If it was easy everyone would do it!!!
« Reply #203 on: March 20, 2014, 03:08:16 PM »

What is the minimum stay will you require to stay for femur. Most of us are working professional and will be impossible to take off 75-90 days. Is it possible to return home after 30 days and lengthen rest at home?

Starting Height: 160
Gained Femur: 6.9cm (Dr. Paley)
Right Tibia Goal: 5.5/6CM

Franz

• Verified LL Doctor
« Reply #204 on: March 20, 2014, 08:12:10 PM »

What is the minimum stay will you require to stay for femur. Most of us are working professional and will be impossible to take off 75-90 days. Is it possible to return home after 30 days and lengthen rest at home?
Good question. It would be cheaper and easier to spend only 4-6 weeks, BUT you would lose out on the meticulous monitoring and daily physio by an experienced team. The problem is if things start going pear shaped, you would want to be close to the doctor who performed the op.
The calculation is as follows: 2 days pre-op. 5 days in hospital. 5-7 days before distraction. Ie 14 days until distraction starts. Then at least another 3-4 weeks to establish a physio routine and also pass through the biggest risk phase for thrombosis. So reluctantly, a minimum of 6 weeks. Provided you can get Ellipse to lend you an ERC unit to perform adjustments. You will also need to send me pictures of your range of motion hip knee and ankle weekly. You will need to send me xrays every two weeks.
So in theory it is possible although not advised.

thetallerman

« Reply #205 on: March 20, 2014, 08:31:46 PM »

176.5cm / 5'9.5 is exactly average in the US for all males. Are you in a different country?
Current Height: 5'7 (~170cm)
Desired Height: 5'9.5 or 5'10
Wingspan: 179.7cm / 5'10.75

Average US Male Height: 176.5 / 5'9.5 (CDC report)

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #206 on: March 20, 2014, 08:44:49 PM »

Man, I'm trying to get from just about 165 to 170. 176 would be my goal after a second if I get through my first successfully.
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

theuprising

« Reply #207 on: March 20, 2014, 08:50:46 PM »

Dr B would you stop a patient from lengthening any further than 5-6 cm or let them continue at their own risk?
Assuming they don't have any problems during the lengthening period.

Cooper

« Reply #208 on: March 20, 2014, 09:19:03 PM »

You will need to send me xrays every two weeks.
So in theory it is possible although not advised.
Dr. Franz,
You are awesome doctor. It will be my stupidity not to be your CLL patient. Can you please check on ERC device? I think it will be OK because patient in US are allowed to take it home.

It appears I might be your first patient unless someone beats me :). I am looking forward to come in end of May.

Cheers!!!

Franz

• Verified LL Doctor
« Reply #209 on: March 20, 2014, 11:48:20 PM »

Dr B would you stop a patient from lengthening any further than 5-6 cm or let them continue at their own risk?
Assuming they don't have any problems during the lengthening period.
In my mind there is no such thing as patients own risk. In terms of safety, it is my responsibility to make the decisions, as I am the professional in this case. Sorry if this sounds paternalistic, but I need to sleep at night!
Having said this, if we reach 5cm and everything seems good, we may together decide to continue. Do not bargain on this, though.

Franz

• Verified LL Doctor
« Reply #210 on: March 20, 2014, 11:51:48 PM »

Dr. Franz,
You are awesome doctor. It will be my stupidity not to be your CLL patient. Can you please check on ERC device? I think it will be OK because patient in US are allowed to take it home.

It appears I might be your first patient unless someone beats me :). I am looking forward to come in end of May.

Cheers!!!
I am teaching in Dallas end of may, but can slot you in as from first week june. Please confirm by email. I do not want to schedule official appointments via open forums.

Cooper

« Reply #211 on: March 21, 2014, 12:16:06 AM »

I am teaching in Dallas end of may, but can slot you in as from first week june. Please confirm by email. I do not want to schedule official appointments via open forums.

Yes Sir. Email already sent.

shawty

« Reply #212 on: March 21, 2014, 03:34:11 PM »

You're coming to Dallas?! That's awesome! I live there

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #213 on: March 21, 2014, 03:41:27 PM »

So you guys know, Dr Birkholtz's contact e-mails and website have been updated on the first post of this thread.
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

Dingo

« Reply #214 on: March 24, 2014, 01:00:29 PM »

The ratio is normally 0.8, ie tibia 80% of the length of the femur give or take.

So ideally, if one is able to do 2 LLs, one should aim to lengthen tibiae around 80% of the amount lengthened previously in the femurs to maintain the bio-mechanical ratio.

For example:

Femur: original length 40cm + 6cm of lengthening = 46cm final femur length

Tibia: original length 32cm + 4.8cm of lengthening = 36.8cm final tibia length

Original ratio: 32 / 40 = 80%

Increase ratio: 4.8 / 6 = 80%

Final ratio: 36.8 / 46 = 80%

Polycrates.

• Tyrant and Legatus Augusti pro praetore of LL Forum
« Reply #215 on: March 24, 2014, 06:37:30 PM »

So ideally, if one is able to do 2 LLs, one should aim to lengthen tibiae around 80% of the amount lengthened previously in the femurs to maintain the bio-mechanical ratio.

For example:

Femur: original length 40cm + 6cm of lengthening = 46cm final femur length

Tibia: original length 32cm + 4.8cm of lengthening = 36.8cm final tibia length

Original ratio: 32 / 40 = 80%

Increase ratio: 4.8 / 6 = 80%

Final ratio: 36.8 / 46 = 80%

No. That would increase the ratio further. You can lengthen both equally and the ratio will be maintained.
Tibial LON for 6cm- Nov 2013, Dr Sringari -177/178cm to 183/184cm
Prospective Femoral Lengthening w/ Precise 3 (if out) Nail for 7cm- Jan 2019, Dr Birkholtz -183/184cm to 190/191cm

And it was here that he professed to his disciples: all of life's bounties lay somewhere upon the dreaded bell curve

Dingo

« Reply #216 on: March 24, 2014, 08:08:23 PM »

No. That would increase the ratio further. You can lengthen both equally and the ratio will be maintained.

You're wrong.

If your original dimensions are: tibia = 32cm and femur = 40cm >>> Tibia to femur ratio = 32/40 = 80%

If you increase the same amount, say 6cm on both tibia and femur you get >>> Tibia to femur ratio = (32+6)/(40+6) = 38/46 = 82,6%

To maintain the original ratio you have to increase the segments in proportion to the original ratio. This is basic math...
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17   Go Up