Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Consultation With Dr Franz Birkholtz  (Read 10984 times)

mediocre

Consultation With Dr Franz Birkholtz
« on: May 17, 2014, 08:55:36 AM »

I recently had a consultation with Dr Franz and here are some of my thoughts:

• His practice is damn busy. I went there noontime and patient kept on coming and going. His practice won't get hurt whether he gets CLL or not.
  • I like his approach and personality. He gives you his thoughts and plans according to your height situation but never tries to sell anything more. I feel that he genuinely wants to help you and never sound arrogant like many other doctors.
  • The guesthouses that I visited are very near the hospital.
  • The adjoining hospital looks like any Western hospital there is.
  • The weather is great, 13'C, when I went there. The landscapes are like Australia and the highways give a feel of a Californian drive.
  • South Africans are very warm (certainly warmer than Americans) and I don't feel threatened at all (although I was there for only 3 days). Having said that, most houses there have electric wire fence; I guess that's the default. For me this will not be a very big issue on my decision to CLL. I am a traveler and common sense is a big decider in safety. FWIW, I walked with my rolled trolley bag from the hospital to the train station which is few kilometers and hopped into the cheap public mini-vans that most poorer blacks ride, and again, my safety is never threatened. When they find out you're a tourist, they are more respectful and gracious knowing that they contribute to their economy; black South Africans are particularly very vocal about it.
  • Wi-Fi is rather slow; of course this is very relative and maybe negligible issue for some.
  • Afrikaans sounds better than German or Dutch.
  • Dr Franz is on my top list for CLL if I can both muster the budget, but more importantly get away from my job for the entire LL duration.
  • Without the help of google, what is the fifth animal that completes the Big 5 aside from lion, leopard, rhinocerus and elephant?

galaxy1

Re: Consultation With Dr Franz Birkholtz
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 10:12:03 AM »

• Without the help of google, what is the fifth animal that completes the Big 5 aside from lion, leopard, rhinocerus and elephant?
    I don't know but I'll just take a crazy guess..horse? :-\  .....okay maybe zebra or giraffe would be a better guess??

Ronaldo

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 10:21:40 AM »

Tiger? Giraffe?  Dinosaurs ?   ???

Orlando

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 06:34:53 AM »

I recently had a consultation with Dr Franz and here are some of my thoughts:

Cool.  I think you are the first LL Forum member to meet Dr Franz in person.  Thanks for sharing your impressions with us!

theuprising

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 11:18:19 AM »

Hey mediocre great post could you please clarify what you meant by "He gives you his thoughts and plans according to your height situation".

Do you mean whether to do tibia's or femurs for example or is it something else entirely.

Thanks in advance.

ShortyMcShort

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 01:35:32 PM »

Springboks? Lol

mediocre

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 07:23:45 PM »

It's a very generalized statement.

For one, he did a lot of measurement on my x-rays via computer software (like the autocad version of CLL for those who are engineers/designers here) and told me what diameter size of Precice is appropriate for me. The difference in diameter also has different capability of weight carrying (bigger diameter, greater carrying weight).

He asks me of what my cm wishes are and he's willing to achieve it based of course on safety and close follow-up. So, I believe he's willing to go as far reasonable length as your body can handle and probably some other variables involved. For me, I'd trust his opinion how many cm I can go if ever I lengthen with him.

For those interested with doing CLL with him with a starting height of say >168cm,  I suggest you contact him personally or better yet do a personal consultation. The starting height is not absolute because I believe he knows that height neurosis is very relative and dependent on a lot of factors.

Regarding your question of tibia or femur, he's very straightforward enough to say that their clinic is not very experienced with Precice tibia CLL but I would assume that they have done it on limb correction.

Hey mediocre great post could you please clarify what you meant by "He gives you his thoughts and plans according to your height situation".

Do you mean whether to do tibia's or femurs for example or is it something else entirely.

Thanks in advance.

mediocre

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 07:24:38 PM »

African Buffalo is the fifth.  8)

ShortyMcShort

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 10:37:26 AM »

Hi mediocre, if you dont mind telling us which section did you have a consultation for? Femurs or tibias and what were Dr Birkholtz's recommendations to you in terms of cm gains?
        Also regarding the guest house, are there many people there? Any LLer or limb correction patients there? Or is it more of a 'holiday' house for tourist?
        Thanks

mediocre

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 11:10:25 PM »

I consulted for femur. He asked me how much I wanted to lengthen and I told him my dream cm height (which is out of this world), and realistically I told him I'm aiming for 6-7cm. That's I guess around the ballpark cm gains (a little over) he would suggest anyway because of safety and faster recovery concerns. But he did tell me that if the body and all the variables would align, and he's telling this in general, not on me particularly—then why not maximize the gains which I assume to be about +/- 8cm? But nobody knows how much anyone can gain until the close follow-ups I guess.

I think the guesthouse is recommended for the out of towners (tourists, patient out of towners) and I did not see any LLers (I'm talking about corrective LL) when I went there. The guesthouses are completely separate from Dr Franz's clinic (which is completely a different practice from the hospital). The best one is Natanja. There is only one room on the first floor and if you're seriously going for Dr Franz you might have to reserve that one room very early. The upper floor rooms are very nice as well. I'll post pictures some other time.

For more personal questions, you can PM me.

Oh, there's also a very funky hotel near the hospital, almost the same compound as the practice. Alternatively, one can stay there for few days if one wants more deluxe treatment after op, then head down to hibernate at Natanja during lengthening.

(Mods you can make a new thread from my posts if you think I'm hijacking Dr Franz thread)

Hi mediocre, if you dont mind telling us which section did you have a consultation for? Femurs or tibias and what were Dr Birkholtz's recommendations to you in terms of cm gains?
        Also regarding the guest house, are there many people there? Any LLer or limb correction patients there? Or is it more of a 'holiday' house for tourist?
        Thanks

theuprising

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2014, 07:17:54 AM »

The natanja guest house is the one that is included in overall price for the surgery right?

If so you would have to guarantee the first floor room as there is no way you want to be
        heading up and down stairs particularly if you had precise nails used.

mediocre

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2014, 03:42:10 PM »

Yeah that's the one included in the package.

The natanja guest house is the one that is included in overall price for the surgery right?

If so you would have to guarantee the first floor room as there is no way you want to be

ShortyMcShort

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2014, 04:21:31 PM »

His Precice price is really tempting and more affordable than elsewhere but a little worried about his maximum cm gain rule as realistically I'd like minimum 7cm and max 8 and no more. Possible with the other more expensive LL doctors, might wait till we get some more diaries on here I guess.

Is his Precice the first one or Precice2?

jerry

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2014, 07:36:11 PM »

Pictures here, you can see the staircase in the 3rd pic.   Look a nice place.
        http://www.natanja.co.za/Gallery.php

theuprising

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2014, 10:36:34 PM »

Pictures here, you can see the staircase in the 3rd pic.   Look a nice place.
        http://www.natanja.co.za/Gallery.php

Agree it looks great but doing precise lengthening and having to do minimal weight bearing until you
        get some consolidation would mean any upstairs rooms are off limits. Unless you can be guaranteed
        the bottom floor you would have to look elsewhere.

Franz

• Verified LL Doctor
        « Reply #15 on: May 21, 2014, 05:50:46 AM »

Agree it looks great but doing precise lengthening and having to do minimal weight bearing until you
        get some consolidation would mean any upstairs rooms are off limits. Unless you can be guaranteed
        the bottom floor you would have to look elsewhere.

Hi guys, glad you like it. Of course you cannot stay upstairs with Precice. We have access to a few guest houses in the area for the same price. By the way, I have no links with the guest houses, hospitals etc.

Franz

• Verified LL Doctor
        « Reply #16 on: May 21, 2014, 07:55:55 AM »

His Precice price is really tempting and more affordable than elsewhere but a little worried about his maximum cm gain rule as realistically I'd like minimum 7cm and max 8 and no more. Possible with the other more expensive LL doctors, might wait till we get some more diaries on here I guess.

Is his Precice the first one or Precice2?

Precice 2 for CLL

ShortyMcShort

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2014, 02:26:05 PM »

Thanks for the response Dr Birkholtz, what are your thoughts on doing quad lengthening in one go?
        Would you recommend it? So 6 on femurs and 5 on tibias? Would that be realistic?
        Dr Paley currently has a patient doing quad lengthening who has a goal of 9cm, 5cm on femurs and 4 on tibs.
        Your opinion on this and would you recommend doing it?

mediocre

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2014, 12:36:12 AM »

This question was asked and answered by Dr Franz in his thread: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=137.msg7491#msg7491

Quad lengthening is dangerous because it is a massive operation. You suddenly increase risk of fat embolism tremendously. Also this almost definitely means blood transfusion. It does not really save that much in cost, and might mean less total length achieved. I do not recommend it.

Thanks for the response Dr Birkholtz, what are your thoughts on doing quad lengthening in one go?
        Would you recommend it? So 6 on femurs and 5 on tibias? Would that be realistic?
        Dr Paley currently has a patient doing quad lengthening who has a goal of 9cm, 5cm on femurs and 4 on tibs.
        Your opinion on this and would you recommend doing it?

mediocre

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2014, 07:43:45 PM »

This is the entrance to Dr Franz office, just beside the hospital.

mediocre

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2014, 07:58:12 PM »

Unitas Hospital in Centurion, South Africa (taken from Dr Franz office entrance)

______

Clinic entrance + Hospital in panorama view (apologies if it messes up your browser size)

mediocre

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2014, 08:22:20 PM »

Natanja Guesthouse

_____

_____

_____

_____

theuprising

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2014, 06:23:57 AM »

Thanks for the pics, really helps making the potential journey more reassuring.

Have you booked your surgery with Dr Birkholtz yet or still deciding?

ShortyMcShort

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2014, 11:42:27 AM »

Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, so does someone bring you food(breakfast, lunch and dinner) daily or would you have to somehow do that yourself? Im assuming someone does it for us otherwise whats the point in staying at the guest house.

mediocre

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2014, 04:30:18 PM »

Thanks for the pics, really helps making the potential journey more reassuring. Have you booked your surgery with Dr Birkholtz yet or still deciding?

I'm still deciding. But most likely him.

_____

Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, so does someone bring you food(breakfast, lunch and dinner) daily or would you have to somehow do that yourself? Im assuming someone does it for us otherwise whats the point in staying at the guest house.

Hi sorry for the delayed reply. This question is answered by TRS on his thread.
        http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=760.msg13692#msg13692

Natanja only provides breakfast. You can ask for delivery for lunch/dinner or cook your own.
        Or get to the other nearby guesthouse which provides 3 meals. Rozendal guesthouse.

mediocre

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2014, 04:47:03 PM »

How to reach Dr Franz clinic in Centurion:
        (Assuming you have arranged for consultation via email)
        This is what I did:

1. Johannesburg to Centurion: get to Gautrain from airport. Stop at Centurion station.

2. Centurion to Dr Franz clinic: Get taxi and tell driver to Unitas Hospital
        - Dr Franz clinic is just outside and beside hospital

For accommodation:
        OR Tambo Johannesburg airport to Town lodge hotel: 5 minutes via hotel shuttle van (65 rand; taxi is about 12 rand i think)
        - Town Lodge Hotel: 850 rand/night (~80 USD)
        - you can find the hotel shuttle van at the back of airport or ask someone or go to Airport hotel and inquire where's the shuttle to  Town Lodge hotel
        - Airport hotel is called City Lodge Hotel which is funkier version and ~3x the price of Town Lodge Hotel and looked like they have same owner
        Pages: [1]   Go Up