Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 21   Go Down

Author Topic: Installing height- Programdude's Precice 2 Internal femurs with Dr. Paley  (Read 241898 times)

YellowSpike

Re: Installing height- Programdude's Precice 2 Internal femurs with Dr. Paley
« Reply #248 on: January 23, 2015, 05:44:45 PM »

LL is a crazy thing after all.

It sure is, that's for damn sure.

Have you tried syrectching that muscle? I think it's a contracture, and should go away with stretching. At least that's what my experience has led me to believe.

programdude

« Reply #249 on: January 23, 2015, 06:08:56 PM »

Yeah I am stretching it multiple times a day in hope of progress.
Dr. Paley Patient- Surgery completed successfully on July 22nd
My Diary for those who want a real play by play to know what to expect:http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=733.0

Starting height: 5 8
End Height-:5 11 +

programdude

« Reply #250 on: January 26, 2015, 05:14:32 AM »

Walking seems to improve, but is still pretty awkward from a combination of tight hip flexors(mainly right) and pain in my left leg. Can only really do it brief periods of time and not prettily.

Meanwhile I heard from someone who finished a month after me and is already walking. Happy for them, but the contrast is discouraging.

My Diary for those who want a real play by play to know what to expect:http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=733.0

Bohemia

« Reply #251 on: February 08, 2015, 07:35:35 AM »

Update?
Dr. Alex Monegal / Barcelona, Spain / Femurs 8cm / Implanted August 25, 2015 / Removed February 21, 2018

programdude

« Reply #252 on: February 08, 2015, 07:07:46 PM »

My condition is a lot better. The pain in my left leg stopped after a few workouts using heavier weights. My speed in general and strength is increasing a lot. My duck ass needs improvement. When I stand for too long my lower back hurts a lot. If not for that I would be pretty much 100%.

Uppland

« Reply #253 on: February 08, 2015, 07:34:21 PM »

If you're comfortable posting any pictures/videos just know that it would be greatly appreciated.

Bohemia

« Reply #254 on: February 09, 2015, 05:13:10 AM »

My condition is a lot better. The pain in my left leg stopped after a few workouts using heavier weights. My speed in general and strength is increasing a lot. My duck ass needs improvement. When I stand for too long my lower back hurts a lot. If not for that I would be pretty much 100%.

So happy for you! (And me haha)
Dr. Alex Monegal / Barcelona, Spain / Femurs 8cm / Implanted August 25, 2015 / Removed February 21, 2018

programdude

« Reply #255 on: February 09, 2015, 08:02:24 AM »

Yeah I will have to think about videos etc.

Not sure how I feel about it. I can confidently and easily move around gym etc. with one crutch used as a walking stick basically. Things have taken awhile but are getting a lot better, quickly.

Uppland

« Reply #256 on: February 09, 2015, 12:32:19 PM »

Yeah I will have to think about videos etc.

Not sure how I feel about it. I can confidently and easily move around gym etc. with one crutch used as a walking stick basically. Things have taken awhile but are getting a lot better, quickly.

Only do it if you're comfortable.

The reason we like diaries with videos is because they give us a good (if rough) idea of what we can expect post-op. The recovery phase is underreported compared to the actual surgery and lenghtening, so videos are a helpful addition to any diary. The only reason for you to do them is to get feeback on how you're doing really.
As for pictures, well, - a picture says more than a thousand words, right?

programdude

« Reply #257 on: February 10, 2015, 10:51:38 AM »

I acknowledge the value of them, just comes down to comfort. Right now I can walk very quickly using a shortened crutch as a walking stick. My walking is probably a 7/10 with 10 being normal.

I shoveled my walkways today, so I am in pretty good shape, just not 100%

ReadRothbard

« Reply #258 on: February 10, 2015, 07:24:40 PM »

I acknowledge the value of them, just comes down to comfort. Right now I can walk very quickly using a shortened crutch as a walking stick. My walking is probably a 7/10 with 10 being normal.

I shoveled my walkways today, so I am in pretty good shape, just not 100%

Good to hear. Paley did say it was about six months to return to full sports, and it looks like you are almost there after about five months.
“If you're afraid - don't do it, - if you're doing it - don't be afraid!” ― Genghis Khan

172 cm in the morning (67.8"); 170 cm (67”) at night; Sitting Height: 96 cm (37.8”); Goal: 184.5 cm (6'0.7"); Ultimate Goal: 192 cm (6’3.5) morning height, 190 cm (6’3) “night” height
Future space tycoon

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #259 on: February 10, 2015, 07:57:31 PM »

People who do internal femurs seem to recover significantly quicker in terms of being able to walk pretty normally compared to those who get their tibias lengthened. That's great you're walking with a walking stick already.
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

Uppland

« Reply #260 on: February 10, 2015, 08:07:57 PM »

People who do internal femurs seem to recover significantly quicker in terms of being able to walk pretty normally compared to those who get their tibias lengthened. That's great you're walking with a walking stick already.

Also noticed this, could it have something to do with muscle tightness?

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #261 on: February 10, 2015, 08:11:56 PM »

I think that has something to do with it. Although I can get both feet on the ground now my calves are still very tight. It might have something to do with balance, too. I'm able to stand as long as I want with my back against the wall but otherwise I constantly feel like I'm going to fall over and hit the ground if I don't hold on to my walker firmly.

Uppland

« Reply #262 on: February 10, 2015, 08:32:23 PM »

Does your balance feel similar to, say, standing on your toes or wearing platform shoes (if you ever did)?

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #263 on: February 10, 2015, 08:42:31 PM »

Yep. It feels as though I'm tiptoeing forward even when my feet are completely neutral.

Uppland

« Reply #264 on: February 10, 2015, 09:14:53 PM »

Yep. It feels as though I'm tiptoeing forward even when my feet are completely neutral.

Right, well that's to be expected honestly as you've gained height in the lowest part of your body while not gaining width anywhere else. I don't know if it'll pass or not, you'll probably adapt but MDoW said he still can feel a bit wingly sometimes.

I get the same kind of muscle tightness you describe when I go hiking in the spring, because my muscles are stale from not being used as much during winter. It always goes away after exercises and stretches, sometimes it only takes a day and sometimes it takes months but it always goes away, don't worry about it.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #265 on: February 10, 2015, 09:40:58 PM »

I think it's probably true that femurs are better for post-surgical balance and faster recovery.  You've got a lot of muscles up there completely surrounding the femur that can stretch and support the new length, compared to the few smaller ones on the lower part of the leg.

I think if you can afford it you should probably go for internal femurs. But I would've been middle aged before I could've afforded it, and this way I've been enjoying being 5'10 since I was 25.  This was actually one of the arguments Dr. Roger Li made when addressing concerns about the run-down Guang Ji Hospital - that they wanted to make the surgery affordable for young people and had to make sacrifices.  He used himself as an example, saying he was already established in his career and married, so there was no reason for him to get LL at his age.

Uppland

« Reply #266 on: February 10, 2015, 09:57:13 PM »

MDoW If the cons of having longer tibias is bad balance and muscle tightness, what are the drawbacks of having relatively long femurs?

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #267 on: February 10, 2015, 11:31:23 PM »

Unfortunately, I have no way of knowing.  I just know my experience with elongated tibiae.  Maybe there are drawbacks of doing femurs that I'm not aware of, but no femur patients seem to be talking about any of it on here.

programdude

« Reply #268 on: February 11, 2015, 01:07:06 AM »

Its actually been like 6 months for me. I think the combination of going there alone and therefore not having as ideal stretching and whatever the pain in my left leg was, set me back a little.

ReadRothbard

« Reply #269 on: February 11, 2015, 02:37:43 AM »

Its actually been like 6 months for me. I think the combination of going there alone and therefore not having as ideal stretching and whatever the pain in my left leg was, set me back a little.

There's a lesson for all of us, then.
“If you're afraid - don't do it, - if you're doing it - don't be afraid!” ― Genghis Khan

172 cm in the morning (67.8"); 170 cm (67”) at night; Sitting Height: 96 cm (37.8”); Goal: 184.5 cm (6'0.7"); Ultimate Goal: 192 cm (6’3.5) morning height, 190 cm (6’3) “night” height
Future space tycoon

programdude

« Reply #270 on: February 11, 2015, 06:24:00 AM »

Yes, please
A. Handle hospital medication properly. They will not.
B. Do not be a tough guy and go there alone. You will regret it for many reasons. I could have easily had a friend come for free but decided to keep things secret while I was doing it. I'd be pretty perfect if I had listened, even though my ROM was excellent for having done 8 CM.
C. Have PLENTY of time if doing 8 CM. Recovery can be crazy at that length, and do not consider more than this. If I had a normal job I would have been screwed with my original projections.

alps

« Reply #271 on: February 11, 2015, 04:32:30 PM »

Yes, please
A. Handle hospital medication properly. They will not.
B. Do not be a tough guy and go there alone. You will regret it for many reasons. I could have easily had a friend come for free but decided to keep things secret while I was doing it. I'd be pretty perfect if I had listened, even though my ROM was excellent for having done 8 CM.
C. Have PLENTY of time if doing 8 CM. Recovery can be crazy at that length, and do not consider more than this. If I had a normal job I would have been screwed with my original projections.
But seriously you have some really good friend(s). I can't think of a single friend who would agree to help me through LL. Forget LL, not even a legitimate health concern if I had one.

greatheight

• Newbi
« Reply #272 on: February 12, 2015, 12:29:53 AM »

But seriously you have some really good friend(s). I can't think of a single friend who would agree to help me through LL. Forget LL, not even a legitimate health concern if I had one.

Those are good friends, bro.

programdude

« Reply #273 on: February 12, 2015, 01:11:11 AM »

I have friends who basically rely on me for housing. Not freeloading but a very ideal arrangement. They also don't really have jobs so the free hotel room and change of scenery would have been welcome to them. Still good friends though, yeah.

Aventus

• Visitor
« Reply #274 on: February 17, 2015, 06:13:37 PM »

Good to see you back again and doing well. I am judging how my recovery will go loosely based on how yours went. Original plan was to get it done in april 2016 and have 2.5months to lengthen and 1-2 weeks to recover then on to residency but I don't think that recovery is going to go well if I am working 70+hrs a week as an intern. Kind of a disappointment and a relief. I am going to be 34 when I am done and have the time to do it. Its kind of a life's little joke, when I had the time to do this I didn't have the money, now I have the money saved but no time. So frustrating.

programdude

« Reply #275 on: February 18, 2015, 07:28:32 PM »

Keep your recovery realistic. I can't stress that enough. I am VERY fortunate for my situation but in many other situations I can see the recovery time being a big issue for someone.

stormtrooper

• Visitor
« Reply #276 on: February 22, 2015, 09:40:45 PM »

I was wondering exactly how long your recovery took from the day of the surgery up until the time you returned to NYC. I did read that you had a cosmetic surgeon attend to the scars. However, when you returned home were you completely finished with LL ie xrays, Dr. visits..Thanks again.

programdude

« Reply #277 on: February 23, 2015, 08:24:28 PM »

I think you got some misinformation. I haven't had any cosmetic work on my scars, and I am also not fully recovered. It is around 8 months post op. By 9 months I imagine my walking will be almost fine.

kare69

• Visitor

Programdude how are things holding up for you? I too plan on using Dr paler for my operation to gain 7.5cm next year. Any suggestions on how to manage the pain? I heard if you go from epidural to IV pain meds to oral pain meds in sequence the pain is much more bareable. Is this true? Do you know a good number of patients that have gone through procedure with moderate pain?

What are your thoughts of the side effects of the precise II? Can a person safely get to 7.5 cm without massive risk of permanent pain?

Also in regards to Dr paley, what is his procedure to prepare for the operation?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 21   Go Up