Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 21   Go Down

Author Topic: Installing height- Programdude's Precice 2 Internal femurs with Dr. Paley  (Read 241878 times)

Ozymandias

Re: Installing height- Programdude's Precice 2 Internal femurs with Dr. Paley
« Reply #465 on: October 08, 2015, 09:19:27 PM »

But wasn't the bone significantly consolidated? Muscles can be sprained, but how can a stretch just break a bone?

This. 1000 times this. I don't know how can a muscle stretch break a healthy bone. Maybe the Precice was somewhat damaged (for example due to early weight bearing) and it finally broke, snapping the bone? Just an idea...

My best wishes to him.

Hi dude. I also had a bad fracture while LLing and had to be reoperated. Im sure you will be OK. As a matter of fact, its better you have had a fracture at this stage of the process,  and not before, which would have been much worse. Keep strong. You will be fine.  We support you. :D

Hi musicmaker. What was the cause of the fracture? I'm considering internal for femurs and these news are really worrying to say the least.

Taller

« Reply #466 on: October 08, 2015, 11:50:14 PM »

The bone was probably still hollow from rod removal and not completely healed where the rods used to be. Stretching may have been the needle that broke the camel's back, meaning that the unhealed bones were so weakened by other strenuous activities not related to stretching, that a simple stretch pushed the femur past its stress threshhold, making it snap.

Programdude, I hope you bounce back from this as well as possible and make a speedy and total recovery.

programdude

« Reply #467 on: October 10, 2015, 10:52:32 AM »

Hey all. Thanks for all the support.

I am back home after a pretty awful experience with my leg being broken in half for 24 hours.

For two days prior to this incident I had felt some leg pain, but assumed it was muscular pain as I am long past weight training clearance dr. R gave me, and was given immediate clearance for walking etc. I was doing a few extra stretches to try and resolve this pain, and was standing in line at the store when I casually did a stretch using one arm. There was a huge snap audible to everyone around me, every muscle in my leg spasmed, and to my shock when I went to place the leg on the ground it bent the wrong way at the femur. Adrenaline caused me to be extraordinarily calm as I called a friend to bring me to the hospital, and asked the person besides me to please bring over the electric shopping cart.

I got to the front of the store then the pain and severity of the situation hit me like a truck. My friend arrived and had to carry me into the back seat. Upon arrival it took TWO HOURS to get pain medication as because my pain tolerance is high and I told them I had snapped is stretching, they didn't fully believe me. Of course once they saw the x ray they apologized profusely and medicated me. i had to be transferred to a higher calibur facility, and after a terrible night was operate on, with a rod being put back in my leg.

I was extremely nervous before PT and walking, worrying it would be extremely painful and that an important trip I had coming up would be off the table. Fortunately walking on crutches was ok, and I even walked some without them. I believe my muscular development and previous experience with these injuries is doing me a lot of favors. Currently it is actually my knee which hurts more than anything else for some reason. I probably hurt it by stepping on it funny while medicated on crutches.

The next few days/weeks I hope will be promising, as trauma settles down.

And to the fool talking about not listening to Paley's protocol, this has nothing to do with him. It was Dr. R, his former partner who removed my rods, and is responsible for this event.
Dr. Paley Patient- Surgery completed successfully on July 22nd
My Diary for those who want a real play by play to know what to expect:http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=733.0

Starting height: 5 8
End Height-:5 11 +

programdude

« Reply #468 on: October 10, 2015, 10:54:55 AM »

Also, there seems to be misinformation here- my precice rods have been removed for MONTHS. They were not in during this fracture.
My Diary for those who want a real play by play to know what to expect:http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=733.0

Alu

« Reply #469 on: October 10, 2015, 01:01:43 PM »

Do you know why this happened? It seemed as if you should have been fully to near consolidated by now. I mean it didn't happen to your other leg. Anyways how does this erect your recovery time now, any time frames for this? Stay strong dude.

Penguinn

« Reply #470 on: October 10, 2015, 01:26:35 PM »

I have the same questions as Alu. And get well soon!

becometaller

« Reply #471 on: October 10, 2015, 02:10:39 PM »

Who is dr R.?

programdude

« Reply #472 on: October 10, 2015, 03:34:11 PM »

dr. R removed my rods.

I am doing well other than crippling knee area pain. really not sure why it is so bad there of all places but holy cow does it hurt.

Taller

« Reply #473 on: October 10, 2015, 03:57:39 PM »

Do you think the rod removal technique caused your femur to be unnaturally weak?

programdude

« Reply #474 on: October 10, 2015, 03:59:22 PM »

Its possible. All I know is the theory was that it was just not mature enough.

they checked for infection etc. and it was not present.

becometaller

« Reply #475 on: October 10, 2015, 04:04:40 PM »

ROZBRUCH?

programdude

« Reply #476 on: October 10, 2015, 04:10:28 PM »

yes

Penguinn

« Reply #477 on: October 10, 2015, 04:15:42 PM »

Why did Rozbruch remove your rods? Why not Paley himself?

programdude

« Reply #478 on: October 10, 2015, 04:27:31 PM »

Dr. R accepts insurance, and is considerably cheaper. As well as Paleys former partner. I never would have thought I'd end up here following his protocol.

doomsday

« Reply #479 on: October 10, 2015, 04:39:32 PM »

LOL dude!  ;D

If any of you thinks that stretching a leg by 8 cm or something like that leave no mark on biomechanics and rigidity on a bone is delusional!

If bone is consolidated it is. Also if the rods have been removed  months ago rather then days the bone already did what it could to get better.

Its not Dr. Rozbuch or Dr. Paley's fault but yours. Your body cannot handle that kinda procedure and be fine, you lost some of your bone strengths.

Lets be clear we dont do it because we need to, we do it because we want. LL is cosmetic procedure and we need to be realistic of its consequences.

That begin said I feel sorry for you and really hope you recover fast. Keep up good spirit.   

becometaller

« Reply #480 on: October 10, 2015, 04:44:05 PM »

But that dr shouldnt have accepted to remove the nails so soon.

programdude

« Reply #481 on: October 10, 2015, 04:45:43 PM »

You are missing the point.

I was given clearance immediately for walking etc. and of course encouraged to stretch as it is an essential component of recovery.  I was given clearance for weight lifting after 6 weeks which I MORE than listened to and was cautious with even when returning to.

I listened to protocol given by dr. R. Obviously my body changed from this, but you are saying I should have expected normal walking with a stretch to break my FEMUR?? No, that is ridiculous.

becometaller

« Reply #482 on: October 10, 2015, 04:47:50 PM »

Its not programdude s fault

Penguinn

« Reply #483 on: October 10, 2015, 04:51:19 PM »

Its not Dr. Rozbuch or Dr. Paley's fault but yours. Your body cannot handle that kinda procedure and be fine, you lost some of your bone strengths.

Losing a bit of strength and a bone snapping in two is quite different.

becometaller

« Reply #484 on: October 10, 2015, 04:55:17 PM »

Fractures are quite common after rod removal. Musicmaker case is more strange.

programdude

« Reply #485 on: October 10, 2015, 04:57:53 PM »

Losing a bit of strength and a bone snapping in two is quite different.
This is my point. I have been the most patient person in the world as far as athletic recovery goes and have always expected changes/to not have a fast or total recovery.

But to say I should expect my bone to snap in half from a stretch after getting clearance for removal and weightbearing is outrageous and pretty offensive.

KrP1

« Reply #486 on: October 10, 2015, 05:41:04 PM »

Definitely it was not your fault. Your doctor should have cheked your bone condition better before remove your rodds and allow you to do some exercises

becometaller

« Reply #487 on: October 10, 2015, 05:42:46 PM »

People are mean when they say its programdudes fault

alps

« Reply #488 on: October 10, 2015, 06:10:12 PM »

hope you heal fast my friend!

goldenegg

« Reply #489 on: October 10, 2015, 07:23:28 PM »

programdude, really sorry about your situation and having to deal with this LL complication so far after your original surgery and months after nail removal.  completely agree that it's not his fault since he was following his doctor's recommendations completely.  my guess is that the femur may have already been fractured from some activity based on the pain he had prior to the stretch that completely broke it.  a similar thing happened to the guy that did quadrilateral lengthening with paley in the old forum.  he had a stress fracture in his tibia months after the nail removal. 

his exact words "Again, the femurs hardened really fast, and I was walking again in January, 2015, but when I started running (March), the femurs where fine, but I had a stress fracture of the left tibia.  Admittedly, I was running really hard on the trail, rough terrain, but still, I was surprised they weren't completely solid by then.  It probably has something to do with the bones needing to be loaded, stressed, in order to fully consolidate, and with the rods in place in the tibias, even though I was lifting and running, the rods were protecting the tibial from the stress, and I had to stress them with the rods out (and pushed it a touch too far) for them to fully consolidate."       

anyways what's done is done.  wishing you the best programdude- I know you'll make it through this man.  please do let us know though if you ever figure out the cause and maybe how it could have been prevented. 

programdude

« Reply #490 on: October 10, 2015, 07:39:35 PM »

Maybe I needed a ton of walking and stuff before any running or lifting, even though both were kept very minimal. Crazy that it is such a balancing act of being sure to stress them to consolidate, but not the little extra that results in fractures.

Alu

« Reply #491 on: October 10, 2015, 07:53:57 PM »

I have to ask really quickly, but are you considerably putting much more force into that leg compared to the other? I find it surprising how one was able to break like that while the other didn't.

Also before this incident how were you feeling in terms of recovery? I know it may not sound the most appropriate thing to say/consider but I'm just wanting to put this into a time frame and to also see now how much longer it's going to take you to recover from this. 

Uppland

« Reply #492 on: October 10, 2015, 08:09:52 PM »

Get better programdude

How did they react åt the hospital when they found out you hade lenghthened your femur?

programdude

« Reply #493 on: October 10, 2015, 08:47:55 PM »

I have to ask really quickly, but are you considerably putting much more force into that leg compared to the other? I find it surprising how one was able to break like that while the other didn't.

Also before this incident how were you feeling in terms of recovery? I know it may not sound the most appropriate thing to say/consider but I'm just wanting to put this into a time frame and to also see now how much longer it's going to take you to recover from this.
Im happy to answer any and all questions. Recovery felt good, other than walking still being a little off/stiff(abductors could use work). Running wasnt great, and felt pain, probably from the bone not being fully together, so I never would do that other than very brief bursts.

My right was always light years ahead of my left but nonetheless I wasnt warned of anything by Dr. R. My right Paley said was good for removal after just about 3 months, while my left took over 6 for dr. R to say it was good when it obviously wasnt. Sometimes things just don't go symmetrically. My right healed faster therefore I used it more therefore it healed more.

Everyone was professional about my lengthening, with a few being familiar with the rod I used even. The only part that infuriated me was when I was explaining the story in detail, but in so much pain she was saying she was having a hard time understanding me. She is the same one who apologized after they realized I wasnt wrong about breaking my femur, and they got me the pain meds.

My main advice is if you feel pain, even if it feels muscular- INVESTIGATE. This was a horrifying experience and if I didn't have the pain tolerance and build I do I can't even imagine how I would be coping. Plus this will be more expenses and opportunity costs. I am very lucky I have my savings and job type/arrangement, and even still this is all certainly taking its toll. Also fortunately my current girl knows about this operation or she would be very confused...

Alu

« Reply #494 on: October 10, 2015, 09:29:40 PM »

Thanks for answering our questions. As always you've been a great help and window through this operation.

Considering this was really separate from the cosmetic surgery couldn't some insurance have covered this? Or was it really your savings?

Regarding your girl...ouch... how did you react when you told her you had done LL?

programdude

« Reply #495 on: October 11, 2015, 12:49:01 AM »

She was one of the few I told about it when I went to get it done in the first place, before we were dating. She has always been ok with it.

And yes insurance is going to cover some of the costs of this. But it still probably won't be cheap.

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 21   Go Up