Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to avoid height shrinkages as growing older?  (Read 737 times)

Sorcerer

How to avoid height shrinkages as growing older?
« on: February 08, 2022, 08:55:36 AM »

Hey, recently I came up another idea that I can 'relatively' increase my height cuz many men will shrink heights as aging but if I can find a way to avoid shrinkages and that can mean I can 'relatively' grow taller compared to my age cohort.
I am not interested in comparing heights with newer generations so this topic can make a lot of senses if you can have sympathy from what I am talking about.
I heard that an adequate intake of Calcium with outdoors exercises can prevent me from shrinking. Anyone having more excellent knowledges about it?

ilovescience

Re: How to avoid height shrinkages as growing older?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2022, 09:18:56 AM »

Hey, recently I came up another idea that I can 'relatively' increase my height cuz many men will shrink heights as aging but if I can find a way to avoid shrinkages and that can mean I can 'relatively' grow taller compared to my age cohort.
I am not interested in comparing heights with newer generations so this topic can make a lot of senses if you can have sympathy from what I am talking about.
I heard that an adequate intake of Calcium with outdoors exercises can prevent me from shrinking. Anyone having more excellent knowledges about it?

I have talked to this with some people who were professional at health. Height shrinkage is hard to avoid, many people lost an inch of height compared to their youth when they hit middle age. There were a few who never shrank because they did exercises daily as well as yoga.

Our bone density reaches to the peak at age of 35, since then our bone density will be on the decline. Bone fractures has higher risk for people older than 35. The older you are, the more likely it will happen.

Do it while you are young. Eat food with high calcium and exercise to make your bones stronger, some of the good exercises are running, basketball and swimming.

In the future, there may be methods to prevent height from shrinking. I have posted a video that tells about that by 2040 metal skeleton replacing the old ones would be possible. They use titanium metal or something I don't know how you call it. With that your height will always be the same.

Sorcerer

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2022, 12:21:46 PM »

I have talked to this with some people who were professional at health. Height shrinkage is hard to avoid, many people lost an inch of height compared to their youth when they hit middle age. There were a few who never shrank because they did exercises daily as well as yoga.

Our bone density reaches to the peak at age of 35, since then our bone density will be on the decline. Bone fractures has higher risk for people older than 35. The older you are, the more likely it will happen.

Do it while you are young. Eat food with high calcium and exercise to make your bones stronger, some of the good exercises are running, basketball and swimming.

In the future, there may be methods to prevent height from shrinking. I have posted a video that tells about that by 2040 metal skeleton replacing the old ones would be possible. They use titanium metal or something I don't know how you call it. With that your height will always be the same.
Thx a lot! But I wlll be working as a programmer after I graduate from university so I am afraid it will be harder to prevent myself from shrinking LOL. But luckily maybe I can enjoy new techniques that can increase my height further when I grow that old.

ilovescience

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2022, 02:08:59 PM »

Thx a lot! But I wlll be working as a programmer after I graduate from university so I am afraid it will be harder to prevent myself from shrinking LOL. But luckily maybe I can enjoy new techniques that can increase my height further when I grow that old.

Like changing the property of the skeletons?!

battroll

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2022, 10:01:12 AM »

Probably yoga or daily stretching can help to prevent or minimize height loss. Daily glucosamine and avoiding lifting heavy weights ( squatting or deadlifting is probably very bad for your height long term, as would be any exercise that compress your spine) could also help.

ReadRothbard

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2022, 03:42:23 PM »

Probably yoga or daily stretching can help to prevent or minimize height loss. Daily glucosamine and avoiding lifting heavy weights ( squatting or deadlifting is probably very bad for your height long term, as would be any exercise that compress your spine) could also help.

Squats and deadlifts don't really shrink your spine at all--at best a few millimeters for a couple of hours. Stretching and supplementation can deal with that.
“If you're afraid - don't do it, - if you're doing it - don't be afraid!” ― Genghis Khan

172 cm in the morning (67.8"); 170 cm (67”) at night; Sitting Height: 96 cm (37.8”); Goal: 184.5 cm (6'0.7"); Ultimate Goal: 192 cm (6’3.5) morning height, 190 cm (6’3) “night” height
Future space tycoon

battroll

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2022, 04:17:02 PM »

Squats and deadlifts don't really shrink your spine at all--at best a few millimeters for a couple of hours. Stretching and supplementation can deal with that.

Not on the short term, but I really think they do in the long term. Heavy weightlifting wears you down, your cartilage etc.

Look at guys such as Arnold Schwarzenegger, Hulk Hogan, and many others. Lot of weightlifting and injuries made them shrunk a lot through the years...even the guy from Celebheights mentions lot of times that is very common to see celebrities that lifted heavy weights shrinking at a faster rate.

I would say that if you got two twins, same height and one spend decades powerlifting and the other swimming and doing yoga by the time they are old the one that did heavy weightlifting will be significantly shorter.

Having strong muscles and bones can minimize height loss, but you got to be smart when it comes to training your back and do so in a way that doesn't wear down your spine long term.

battroll

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2022, 04:18:33 PM »

Edit

ilovescience

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2022, 05:02:20 PM »

Not on the short term, but I really think they do in the long term. Heavy weightlifting wears you down, your cartilage etc.

Look at guys such as Arnold Schwarzenegger, Hulk Hogan, and many others. Lot of weightlifting and injuries made them shrunk a lot through the years...even the guy from Celebheights mentions lot of times that is very common to see celebrities that lifted heavy weights shrinking at a faster rate.

I would say that if you got two twins, same height and one spend decades powerlifting and the other swimming and doing yoga by the time they are old the one that did heavy weightlifting will be significantly shorter.

Having strong muscles and bones can minimize height loss, but you got to be smart when it comes to training your back and do so in a way that doesn't wear down your spine long term.

Does kettle bells count as weightlifting? I like kettle bells work out and I hope it does not affect spinal cord.

ReadRothbard

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2022, 06:27:10 PM »

I don't think that's even remotely true tbh. It's well known that wrestlers lose their height due to injuries in their sports, and Arnold has taken   care of himself over the years, so it's not surprising that he shrunk a couple inches over the years.
“If you're afraid - don't do it, - if you're doing it - don't be afraid!” ― Genghis Khan

172 cm in the morning (67.8"); 170 cm (67”) at night; Sitting Height: 96 cm (37.8”); Goal: 184.5 cm (6'0.7"); Ultimate Goal: 192 cm (6’3.5) morning height, 190 cm (6’3) “night” height
Future space tycoon

battroll

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2022, 07:17:34 PM »

Does kettle bells count as weightlifting? I like kettle bells work out and I hope it does not affect spinal cord.

I am not a doctor, and I can’t give a definitive answer. Kettlebells probably don’t exert as much pressure on your spine as other exercise such as squats, deadlift, or military presses.

I was a powerlifter in my youth, and I am already suffering for mild arthrosis in my spine, and I am only 30 years old. Obviously powerlifting played a role in the degeneration of my spine.

Now, not everyone who squat, or deadlift does it with heavy weights, so of course it’s also just a matter of common sense. Deadlifting regularly 500 pounds will be worse for your spine than deadlifting 150 pounds now and then.

If you want to build some muscles and be strong, calisthenics (pullups, pushups, dips etc) will be probably safer for your spine long term than powerlifting.

Check celebheights and many celebrities there. Lot of the fit ones are losing height at a higher rate then others.
Arnold was 187cm at his peak and now is 180cm

https://www.celebheights.com/s/Arnold-Schwarzenegger-177.html

Hugh Jackman was 188cm and now is 186.5cm.

https://www.celebheights.com/s/Hugh-Jackman-144.html

Hulk Hogan was 198cm and now 190cm:

https://www.celebheights.com/s/Hulk-Hogan-464.html

The Rock was 190.5cm and now is 189cm:

https://www.celebheights.com/s/Dwayne-Johnson-The-Rock-54.html

Noe all of this is speculation since we don’t really know their peak heights and their actual heights, but they are shirking. Rob Paul from celebheights got an article on the topic:

https://www.celebheights.com/a/19.html

Studies have been done in the past on typical loss of height but results I've seen vary. A recent study revealed the following: "To determine the magnitude of height loss that accompanies ageing, longitudinal studies are required. The authors studied 2,084 men and women aged 17-94 years enrolled from 1958 to 1993 in the Baltimore Longitudinal Study of Ageing, Baltimore, Maryland. On average, men's height was measured nine times during 15 years and women's height five times during 9 years. The rate of decrease in height was greater for women than for men. For both sexes, height loss began at about age 30 years and accelerated with increasing age. Cumulative height loss from age 30 to 70 years averaged about 3 cm (1.18 inches) for men and 5 cm (1.97 inch) for women; by age 80 years, it increased to 5 cm for men (1.97 inch) and 8 cm (3.15 inches) for women"

But yeah, doing regularly stuff like this cant be good for your spine or Knees long term:

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2022, 07:41:53 PM »

This is why I switched to just Yoga.

173to187USTORUSSIA

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2022, 07:49:36 PM »

This is why I switched to just Yoga.

I have the same mindset as you Medium.

I avoid squats and deadlifts and focus on hypertrophy (8-12 reps) over powerlifting AKA "ego lifting"

You can still maintain and gain lean back and leg mass by using machines and exercises that won't put excessive stress or compress the spine or damage the knees.

ReadRothbard

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2022, 08:02:06 PM »

I am not a doctor, and I can’t give a definitive answer. Kettlebells probably don’t exert as much pressure on your spine as other exercise such as squats, deadlift, or military presses.

I was a powerlifter in my youth, and I am already suffering for mild arthrosis in my spine, and I am only 30 years old. Obviously powerlifting played a role in the degeneration of my spine.

Now, not everyone who squat, or deadlift does it with heavy weights, so of course it’s also just a matter of common sense. Deadlifting regularly 500 pounds will be worse for your spine than deadlifting 150 pounds now and then.

If you want to build some muscles and be strong, calisthenics (pullups, pushups, dips etc) will be probably safer for your spine long term than powerlifting.

Check celebheights and many celebrities there. Lot of the fit ones are losing height at a higher rate then others.

Noe all of this is speculation since we don’t really know their peak heights and their actual heights, but they are shirking. Rob Paul from celebheights got an article on the topic:

Studies have been done in the past on typical loss of height but results I've seen vary. A recent study revealed the following: "To determine the magnitude of height loss that accompanies ageing, longitudinal studies are required. The authors studied 2,084 men and women aged 17-94 years enrolled from 1958 to 1993 in the Baltimore Longitudinal Study of Ageing, Baltimore, Maryland. On average, men's height was measured nine times during 15 years and women's height five times during 9 years. The rate of decrease in height was greater for women than for men. For both sxxes, height loss began at about age 30 years and accelerated with increasing age. Cumulative height loss from age 30 to 70 years averaged about 3 cm (1.18 inches) for men and 5 cm (1.97 inch) for women; by age 80 years, it increased to 5 cm for men (1.97 inch) and 8 cm (3.15 inches) for women"

But yeah, doing regularly stuff like this cant be good for your spine or Knees long term:

The "deadlifts and squats are bad for your knees and spine" meme has been debunked an unbelievable amount of times. I mean no offense, but this is a very elementary myth in fitness that people in the know laugh about all the time. Yes, you can lose height in your spine through injury. Bill Kazmaier hasn't lost height, and neither did Larry Scott, Dorian Yates, Ed Coan, Mark Henry, etc.

As for rep ranges, I make zero gains when lifting over 5 reps. I either do 2-5 reps (5 being on the high end), or I don't make gains at all in strength or size.

Future space tycoon

battroll

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2022, 08:11:32 PM »

The "deadlifts and squats are bad for your knees and spine" meme has been debunked an unbelievable amount of times. I mean no offense, but this is a very elementary myth in fitness that people in the know laugh about all the time. Yes, you can lose height in your spine through injury. Bill Kazmaier hasn't lost height, and neither did Larry Scott, Dorian Yates, Ed Coan, Mark Henry, etc.

As for rep ranges, I make zero gains when lifting over 5 reps. I either do 2-5 reps (5 being on the high end), or I don't make gains at all in strength or size.

Its really hard to know if those guys you mentioned have lost any height since they are not as famous and there is not as much to compare them with due to that.

Zydrunas seems to be same height as before too.

I still think that heavy deadlifts and squats are bad for your back and I will stick to yoga and calisthenics but by all means carry on with powerlifting if it's what you love.

ilovescience

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2022, 04:31:26 AM »

Studies have been done in the past on typical loss of height but results I've seen vary. A recent study revealed the following: "To determine the magnitude of height loss that accompanies ageing, longitudinal studies are required. The authors studied 2,084 men and women aged 17-94 years enrolled from 1958 to 1993 in the Baltimore Longitudinal Study of Ageing, Baltimore, Maryland. On average, men's height was measured nine times during 15 years and women's height five times during 9 years. The rate of decrease in height was greater for women than for men. For both sxxes, height loss began at about age 30 years and accelerated with increasing age. Cumulative height loss from age 30 to 70 years averaged about 3 cm (1.18 inches) for men and 5 cm (1.97 inch) for women; by age 80 years, it increased to 5 cm for men (1.97 inch) and 8 cm (3.15 inches) for women"

I guess kettle bells should be fine. I see a lot of basketball players do that workout. They never shrink.
Pages: [1]   Go Up