Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Budget of $15,000USD  (Read 2453 times)

taieruya

Budget of $15,000USD
« on: July 19, 2017, 03:59:44 AM »

Hey guys, my budget keeps dropping due to some unforeseen things. :( I'm not happy about it and I'm losing hope that I will not be able to pay for the surgery.
I guess now it looks like my total budget, including surgery, accommodation, meals and medicine will end up being around $15,000.. maybe less. What do you guys think, is this even possible anymore? If so what doctor could give me a price like that? I'm just trying to lengthen Tibia 5cm.
Hoping to do LL in 2019 or 2020.

Jumbo

Re: Budget of $15,000USD
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 04:21:50 AM »

There are some quacks that will gladly operate on you for that amount, but I don't think you want them. From what I have read, tibias are far more risky than femurs, so you want a doctor who knows what he's doing.
Height: 5'2"
Wingspan: 5'6"

vegeta24

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 04:24:39 AM »

Hmm for everything it seems like one of your only options for a reputable doctor is Dr. Solomin and or Dr. Kulesh his assistant in Russia.

onemorefoot

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 05:06:57 AM »

Russian docs are your guys, if you go to India go to Parihar, UNDER no cause you go to other Indian docs, but he is more expensive, russian docs as Solomin or Kulesh or Barinov or in Kurgan, with that budget you can do It, external tibias for the diaries I have read, are not very difficult.
Budget will determine my future.

Bander72

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 05:25:21 AM »

You need to have a surplus of money available in case there is some unforseen issues. What will you do to get money when you are unable to walk? Thats why even if you have to wait  longer it is best save the most that you can to get the best possible outcome.
Bander72: Banned for Impersonating A Dr (fake Dr.Monegal)  account

biggerdreams

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 05:50:13 AM »

I wonder how rare it has been to go into LL with $15K or less and had a successful experience within the budget.

taieruya

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 07:11:23 AM »

You need to have a surplus of money available in case there is some unforseen issues. What will you do to get money when you are unable to walk? Thats why even if you have to wait  longer it is best save the most that you can to get the best possible outcome.

The issue is that I am about to start attending medical school, and I won't have any time to the surgery during or after med school. As for now the budget is 15k. I'm worried that I'll be up to my ears in student loans in the future.

liltunechi

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 07:33:20 AM »

Mitkovic

Isnt he regarded as one of the best anyways?

Bander72

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 08:10:39 AM »

The issue is that I am about to start attending medical school, and I won't have any time to the surgery during or after med school. As for now the budget is 15k. I'm worried that I'll be up to my ears in student loans in the future.

This surgery is not one to do in constricted time. Especially if doing pure externals which will take longer to walk unaided than latn or internals. So you should think about going to school later  or doing the surgery later.
Bander72: Banned for Impersonating A Dr (fake Dr.Monegal)  account

rasteride

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 08:21:04 AM »

I wonder how rare it has been to go into LL with $15K or less and had a successful experience within the budget.

I think if you have reasonable goals, are able to plan it extremely thoroughly and handle everything from logistics to physical and mental preparation, you can do it for even less in a somewhat reliable place like Russia.

Overdozer

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 11:49:15 PM »

I've had all of my segments lengthened (tibias, femurs, humerus) under 15k$ all costs included - that's almost million rubles now thanks to the ruble crash in 2014. I'm a local though.
Pre-surgery - 167 cm, Post-surgery - 181 cm
Final arm span - 177 cm, Sitting height - 90 cm

Lengthened 7.5 cm in tibias and femurs and 3.5 cm in each humerus. Surgeries performed all external by Dr. Kulesh, in Saint-Petersburg, Russia - http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=1671.0

google42

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2017, 12:28:13 AM »

I've had all of my segments lengthened (tibias, femurs, humerus) under 15k$ all costs included - that's almost million rubles now thanks to the ruble crash in 2014. I'm a local though.
Wow that's really cheap. For Tibias I'm sure you used the ilizarov frames but for femurs what type of internal device did you use?

Body Builder

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2017, 12:35:26 AM »

Wow that's really cheap. For Tibias I'm sure you used the ilizarov frames but for femurs what type of internal device did you use?
He didn't use internal. For that amount you can only do externals and for femurs externals is not only a torture device but causes more varus than internals.

15k for doing more than one LL (external tibias to be more specific) is a recipe for disaster .

biggerdreams

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2017, 05:58:35 AM »

Wow, did you ever make a diary? I'm searching and can't find one. Would love to hear about how things turned out.

google42

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2017, 07:10:33 AM »

Wow, did you ever make a diary? I'm searching and can't find one. Would love to hear about how things turned out.
Maybe he was apart of the old forum? Try checking there.

Overdozer

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2017, 01:10:06 AM »

I did all external.

Yeah it's there, check created threads

He didn't use internal. For that amount you can only do externals and for femurs externals is not only a torture device but causes more varus than internals.
First, it's not a torture device, but it is very uncomfy. Second, lengthening femurs with internals causes valgus (knock knees) not varus. Third, I lengthened with a circular frame and at the end of lengthening had the legs corrected for natural mechanical axis. In no way I have a valgus or a varus, xrays are in my diary.

And lastly, I surely didn't experience any disaster. I did read however about unfortunate cases with internal patients breaking their nails and having to pay for a new nail AND surgeries to replace it. Now that sounds like a disaster to me. How do you afford that unless you are a $ multi-millionaire? I don't know. Don't forget you also need surgeries to remove the nails in the end.

Now I won't be advocating lengthening femurs externally, because I really hated it, trust me. It wasn't painful aside from the fact I had to lengthen at the rate of 1.75mm/day, which caused soft tissue pain, but the pins didn't really add to the pain - it was from the lengthening and stretching of the soft tissue... You will have the very same type of pain with internals if you have to lengthen at such a fast rate due to risk of premature consolidation. Regardless, it's still an option considering the price and it has its ups (being able to correct for mechanical axis deviation, no risk of total breakage (individual pins still can break, but that won't do anything and won't cost anything to replace), less invasive surgery - no reaming of the intramedullary canal to insert nail etc), just don't lengthen 2 at the same time.
Pre-surgery - 167 cm, Post-surgery - 181 cm
Final arm span - 177 cm, Sitting height - 90 cm

Lengthened 7.5 cm in tibias and femurs and 3.5 cm in each humerus. Surgeries performed all external by Dr. Kulesh, in Saint-Petersburg, Russia - http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=1671.0

taieruya

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2017, 07:03:26 PM »

Just a quick update. I emailed Dr. Kulesh and he said that a $15,000 USD budget should be easily achieved. With Dr. Mitkovic it looks possible, but probably outside of the comfort zone of affordability.

onemorefoot

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2017, 07:11:14 PM »

Just a quick update. I emailed Dr. Kulesh and he said that a $15,000 USD budget should be easily achieved. With Dr. Mitkovic it looks possible, but probably outside of the comfort zone of affordability.
I think you can get even LATN or LON with Kulesh for that price And you dont have to be there for 1 year.
Budget will determine my future.
Pages: [1]   Go Up