Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Health Assessment before Surgery  (Read 322 times)

justsumguy

• Visitor
Health Assessment before Surgery
« on: May 06, 2021, 12:28:53 PM »

Hi all, just curious about whether it's common practice for surgeons to ask for a mental/physical health check before CLL? If so what might this involve? Thanks all

Worzezterlire

Re: Health Assessment before Surgery
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2021, 03:43:59 AM »

Some surgeons will ask for a mental exam, but many of the big name ones in the US don’t.  Even Paley doesn’t do it, though he says he does a sort of spot-check during the in person consult.  I know that Guichet will make you fill out forms that quite literally take a whole day to complete.  They have questions about your expectations, your goals in life, your career and hobbies, how height will change your life, etc.  I read that he rejected a number of patients on psychological grounds, but I don’t know if I read that on his site or if it’s hearsay.  Take it with a grain of salt.  That said, the whole thing about those essay forms is 100% true because I was emailed them and expected to complete them before they would schedule a consult.  I admire his method but since I ended up scheduling with a more local US doctor, I never filled them out.

I know of no serious surgeons who won’t do some form of health evaluation.  Things evaluated include spinal condition (I have mild scoliosis and I am still approved), blood levels for various deficiencies, medical history.  Smoking history or drug use will make the doctors act very nervous very quickly.

justsumguy

• Visitor
Re: Health Assessment before Surgery
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2021, 08:32:01 AM »

Cheers, how long will the medical evaluation take? Will I need to bring proof via medical documents? Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up