Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Observations/tips two days ish after LL surgery  (Read 7956 times)

SpeedDialer

Re: Observations/tips two days ish after LL surgery
« Reply #155 on: October 07, 2022, 05:49:19 PM »

Thanks for your post. I've had a rough idea about what to expect from this surgery.

I wonder if they have the Hobbit on the United airplane ride to Athens, I might watch it on the way back since I already watched the original LOTR trilogy on the way to Athens

« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 07:01:37 PM by SpeedDialer »

SpeedDialer

« Reply #156 on: October 07, 2022, 05:54:51 PM »

I know it's still early days as you are lengthening but I'm surprised it's much of an issue if you are using the nails that support 95kgs per leg

yeah so like for some context

On the anti gravity treadmill, currently I'm using like 50% of my weight (a machine is holding up my upper body so that it feels like only 50% of my weight is on my legs) -> it seems to be standard for them to start patients off with 50% or 40% is on the anti gravity treadmill

I don't think I could do 100% now

SpeedDialer

« Reply #157 on: October 07, 2022, 06:03:11 PM »

1. Imo don't get cash at the airport unless its for small amounts like 75 USD or less -> prepare to get ripped off and lose 25% of your money, the trolls at the airport currency exchange will try to convince you to trade in even more "how long are you staying in Athens?"

2. The hospital has an ATM -> I'd get there early and try it out

I still don't know the best ATM near montaza, they all seem like they involve crossing that very wide set of two huge roads (frankly looks like hell to cross even before the surgery)

I don't know if schwab's debit card works for this (schwab gives ATM fee reimbursements) but I heard maybe fidelity also is a good option to get cash, not sure, anyone wanna chime in?

I don't know if Schwab's debit card even works at the hospital ATM or not

Anyone knows the questions the hospital ATM asks? Keep hearing that some ATMs will try to trick you at first into a bad rate, see youtube for that

Cash (physical Euros) is super useful for:

1. Exchanging money / splitting bills between other patients

2. Now it will be super useful to use on the cheaper transportation costs of the SUV service they are setting up

3. Giving money to a nurse so they can buy something for you in case you forgot to bring something like some warm clothes (even though its Athens, it will get cold starting in October sometimes, especially mornings)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 07:01:54 PM by SpeedDialer »

SpeedDialer

« Reply #158 on: October 07, 2022, 06:26:10 PM »

If you are going to use the nonhandicap room, I'd say its probably worth it to bring some kind of shoulder/sling bag that is big enough to hold water bottles, useful for refilling your water each night (montaza sells filled new plastic water bottles for like 0.50 euros which is great

For handicap rooms, it doesn't matter, you just roll in to the bathroom with your  wheelchair and water bottles and go up to the sink, but even in that case I think some kind of shoulder bag would be good. Maybe a strap connected to a strong thick grocery bag too would give you more room to hold stuff

Right now I have like 3 water bottles that I rotate between the bed desk, the fridge, refilling them in the sink etc

There's always the option to just walk into the bathroom with the walker, use their cup to drink the tap water (which I hear is supposed to be safe in Athens) but I'm partial to cold water

I mean I could use a non-plastic bottle for the water bottles, it might be better but it would be heavier and annoying if it ever fell and broke
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 07:46:08 PM by SpeedDialer »

SpeedDialer

« Reply #159 on: October 07, 2022, 06:45:13 PM »

I keep imagining a sarcastic troll Christmas poem about a hypothetical Larry the Leg Lengthener who wakes up and eats a "balanced and nutritious breakfast" of one tramadol, two paracetamols (painkillers), one lyrica for nerve pain, and one xarelto. To practice his singing and warm up his voice box, he goes to physical therapy to get his legs stretched extra hard today. He meets a 5'11 patient who is trying to get to 6'2 and asks him "why not go for even more". I have to think there are some sarcastic jokes related to leg lengtheners

I have yet to meet a patient who is very tall who is trying to become shorter but I wonder if Dr. Paley has encountered this with extremely tall women wanting to be discriminated against less / wanting to feel more normal

It is different for very tall women though. Although they face discrimination in dating, at the same time, their height/long legs is also kind of seen as desirable

I used to eat bigger breakfasts but somehow now I only eat like a bunch of eggs, chocolate milk, and maybe a small amount of OJ, I can't seem to eat anymore. I hope the hotel gets some like sausage patties or something to spice things up, their usual small thumb-sized sausages I feel are not so appealing after a few times. I'd recommend not eating their honeydew, tasted a bit odd and too soft to me

I feel like there is always a useful thing that can be done in a moment (rest, stretch, refill water, clean up room a bit, set alarm, plan for the upcoming day, exercise on the pedal machine)

I vaguely remember programmerdude or some username said with Dr. Paley LL he just played computer games to pass the time and it wasn't so bad. However, I'm finding sitting at desk to be totally unappealing and less comfortable than a bed, like the thighs will not feel so good after being on a chair for a while, maybe some cushioning helps

podcasts seem to be better when you're exhausted, you just close eyes and go limp
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 08:48:51 PM by SpeedDialer »

SpeedDialer

« Reply #160 on: October 07, 2022, 07:11:48 PM »

Idk if things would be different if I was healthier/thinner/even younger but somehow the thought of doing quadrilateral lengthening like some people are doing my mind keeps thinking "man screw that, I am having difficulty just dealing with two nails in me, how would 4 feel?"

Then again, if you are thin, flexible, healthy, have a strong upper body I sort of feel it could be quite doable..

I believe though that if you do that, there is a point in time where you will actually be lengthening all 4 nails at once in a day, which frankly sounds pretty rough. I believe if you do quadrilateral they will do all 4 as precise and no gnail, I can't remember the reason. I can't remember but if you have 4 nails in you, I don't think you can walk with a walker for very long with the walker anyway so I'm not sure the use of gnail in that situation. I also wonder how clicking would feel if you have four broken segments and four nails in you so maybe it makes sense they just use precise for quadrilateral, not sure the actual reason though

I see why they encourage g-nail femurs, its just easier for everyone. Except clicking maybe. But I'm pretty happy Dr. Giotikas convinced me to just start with gnail for now, its easy mode compared to what I've seen other patients experience. I don't believe that gnail tibias is an option I don't know the scientific reasons for this

I remember the fear I felt the days after surgery whenever I was being asked "shall we do some clicking now?" "oh god no" and now I'm glad its much easier than before

SpeedDialer

« Reply #161 on: October 07, 2022, 07:27:52 PM »

Right shin numbness seems to be affecting something

when the right shin is itchy, I scratch it, yet feel not much, unsure what is a good solution?

nevermind, waited it out, itching feeling left, right shin still numb ish though, its an odd feeling. You touch your shin and you can tell you are touching your shin but the feeling is alot more numbed on the surface
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 10:21:33 PM by SpeedDialer »

SpeedDialer

« Reply #162 on: October 07, 2022, 07:44:59 PM »

I've gone back to my older technique for clicking for the right leg, seems to be working better, kind of what nurses show except I lean my whole body to the left on some pillows and have my whole body go completely limp, but I start off w/ leg a bit closer to clicking position w/ pillow and angles and-> then I just let that right arm weight do the work and relax

The clicking was alot less painful today for the right leg

It wouldn't look like much in a video, not much to show, basically would look like a corpse sitting but flopped over to his left on some pillows with a click eventually coming after the arm weight/light pressure on top of his right knee pushes the knee down enough 

I sort of just feel the resistance and then exhale and let the whole body go limp/relax more and then the knee moves a bit more towards the clicking position and then rinse and repeat until the click comes

I think my wounds healing has helped to make this more possible, I can really lean towards my left without hurting myself by squishing open wounds or anything
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 10:20:00 PM by SpeedDialer »

SpeedDialer

« Reply #163 on: October 07, 2022, 10:27:42 PM »

sy1555

« Reply #164 on: October 08, 2022, 05:22:29 AM »

Found out some things

Internal tibias precise:

- you can walk very short distances with the walker

- but they still ask you to bring the wheelchair with you to physical therapy

- Trying to find out about staying in Athens 3 months vs 6 months

- I'm under the impression there is greater risk of complications but in the short term it is less pain for the patient, am I wrong?

- still don't know what stretches they do for internal tibias at physical therapy, maybe I'll observe it later. I have to think that physical therapy they probably do more than just calves stretches, I mean I would think they would want to stretch the others just in case? If the patient is there anyway for physical therapy and needs to walk again eventually? I keep missing it and not seeing it, maybe I'll see it next time when I go to physical therapy
If it's a femur precice, you can't walk with a walker even for a short distance, right?
Don't precice patients and g-nail patients usually train together? Or are there so few precice patients that you have trouble observing them?
Thanks!!

SpeedDialer

« Reply #165 on: October 08, 2022, 05:31:00 AM »

If it's a femur precice, you can't walk with a walker even for a short distance, right?
Don't precice patients and g-nail patients usually train together? Or are there so few precice patients that you have trouble observing them?
Thanks!!

I only know of one femur precise patient, the girl

She walks short distances with the walker

that being said, based on her size, I have to think her total body weight is very low

I don't know if things would change for someone like me who is like 170 pounds and I don't think precise can support that as well as her weight

we all train together sort of, our times at PT are staggered but we still bump into alot other patients at PT

there may be more precise femur patients who I just don't realize are precise femur patients but I've met alot more gnail femur patients

What are your thoughts on Novotel vs Montaza? Still not sure what I do want to do if I do internal tibia someday, the hotel choice is one of questions to figure out

OH WAIT nvm I do know a second femur precise patient so I know at least two

I forget his reason for choosing precise over gnail, but he did that choice intentionally.

He looks very young, thin, and healthy but I'm under the impression from seeing him that he is in quite a bit of pain. But hey at least he avoids clicking I guess. I will say though that generally clicking with my left leg is no problem at all, and I am improving my technique for right leg clicking and I think hopefully clicking will eventually become a non issue

The thing about clicking is it sort of like adds two additional stressful sessions each day (morning clicks and evening clicks)

I'm sympathetic to the male nurse's view of preferring gnail because of the additional independence you have
« Last Edit: October 08, 2022, 07:15:01 AM by SpeedDialer »

SpeedDialer

« Reply #166 on: October 08, 2022, 05:34:48 AM »

So by far the main thing I wish I knew when I started is this:

- don't spend most of your bed time leaning on the back bed rest, its too far from the edge of the bed

- imo spend more of your time closer to the edge of the bed where it is easier (just a few movements) to get your legs to be dangling off the edge of the bed. Use pillows to get comfortable there

why?

- easier to do the quad stretch where you just sit at the edge of the bed with legs dangling off the bed and tuck feet in -> a low effort quad stretch that doesn't require any upper body strength

- easier to do the hamstring stretch where you just lift one leg and put it on a chair or your locked wheelchair right next to the bed -> don't need to mess around with using arm strength with straps to hold up your hamstrings

- the edge of the bed is the best way to do the hip flexors stretches imo, just go to the edge of the bed, lie on your back, tuck one leg in -> the other leg gets a hip flexor stretch

Why tire out your upper body more than you need to? Need that strength for walker usage/etc

- if your'e closer to the edge of the bed -> easier to go from bed to walker transfers to practice them more frequently early on

at the start its just harder to move, its better to be closer to the action and not have to move around so much in the bed

also I know the first day the doctor will tell you to do  3 different stretches involving stretching your legs using your arm strength -> I'd say don't tire out your arms too much, it depends how fit you are at the start, but you're gonna need that upper body strength the coming days. And frankly the hamstring stretch he shows you the first day on your back using your arms/quads to hold up your leg-> that stretch inherently ends up tightening the quads alot from its positioning/needing to use the quads to hold up the legs which I feel can have consequences the following days if you overdo it

SpeedDialer

« Reply #167 on: October 08, 2022, 06:08:03 AM »

I mean one thing I like about Montaza is maybe one morning, I'll check whatsapp and be pleasantly surprised that Evi says she will come to check in on me that morning (along with making her round checking in on the other patients). And so maybe she helps me shower or practice the transfer to the shower, which is a bit more complicated in the tiny montaza shower spaces in the non-handicap rooms

I am hoping that more patients go to novotel and then they also end up doing that at Novotel (regularly going, giving semi-surprise visits to patients to check up on them)

but right now I think there are just two novotel patients, and as internal femur patients with some experience, they don't need anyone to regularly check up on them. even the precise femur patient seems really independent

I'm away from the strip club noise but both Hyatt and Montaza are near two really busy roads and there is always like at least one a-hole driver per night who will intentionally crank up his motor to be extremely loud on the road or some bikers will make alot of noise

earplugs help alot

SpeedDialer

« Reply #168 on: October 08, 2022, 07:21:24 AM »

I had gotten a hair transplant before and was awake during the surgery and it was rough during the surgery, my body was constantly hiccuping strongly and each insertion of a graft was a painful needle prick/stabbing feeling

For leg lengthening if you are curious, you won't feel a single thing during the surgery itself

They sort of put a gas mask on you, you doze off.

During the surgery, I had a dream where I was calmly talking to the anesthesiologist in her office (you meet her the day before, I think she has worked both in Athens and in the United States, her English is good). In reality, probably it was the anesthesiologist talking to the doctor instead that caused this dream

They do things like stick a tube down your throat and ream your bones during your surgery, and somehow I felt none of this at all during the surgery and just enjoyed my pleasant dream. I also somehow did not even like hear anything related to what they were doing, I think I may have heard the anesthesiologist speak early on but that's it

When you wake up, you'll feel great, I forget if they give you morphine? not sure. the next day, your throat will hurt because they stuck something down your throat during surgery

sy1555

« Reply #169 on: October 09, 2022, 08:57:49 PM »

I only know of one femur precise patient, the girl

She walks short distances with the walker

that being said, based on her size, I have to think her total body weight is very low

I don't know if things would change for someone like me who is like 170 pounds and I don't think precise can support that as well as her weight

we all train together sort of, our times at PT are staggered but we still bump into alot other patients at PT

there may be more precise femur patients who I just don't realize are precise femur patients but I've met alot more gnail femur patients

What are your thoughts on Novotel vs Montaza? Still not sure what I do want to do if I do internal tibia someday, the hotel choice is one of questions to figure out

OH WAIT nvm I do know a second femur precise patient so I know at least two

I forget his reason for choosing precise over gnail, but he did that choice intentionally.

He looks very young, thin, and healthy but I'm under the impression from seeing him that he is in quite a bit of pain. But hey at least he avoids clicking I guess. I will say though that generally clicking with my left leg is no problem at all, and I am improving my technique for right leg clicking and I think hopefully clicking will eventually become a non issue

The thing about clicking is it sort of like adds two additional stressful sessions each day (morning clicks and evening clicks)

I'm sympathetic to the male nurse's view of preferring gnail because of the additional independence you have
Thanks!!This information is so useful.The 10.7/12.5mm precice only supports 50lbs so I guess you lose a lot of independence... Maybe Montaza would be better choice if you need more help from a nurse :'(

SpeedDialer

« Reply #170 on: October 09, 2022, 09:09:34 PM »

Thanks!!This information is so useful.The 10.7/12.5mm precice only supports 50lbs so I guess you lose a lot of independence... Maybe Montaza would be better choice if you need more help from a nurse :'(

Yeah I'm hoping that eventually enough people go to novotel that the nurses go to novotel more often. I think the issue is that right now with only two patients there or something (who are both femur internal patients who are fairly independent at this point) they don't feel that motivated to give them surprise visits

I feel like since novotel is so close to the PT center, I feel like it shouldn't be that hard for the nurses to go to novotel more often, I think the male nurse has a motorbike

Whereas montaza there are just so many patients that they can just sort of easily make the rounds and visit each patient briefly

The tiny desk space, the so-so breakfast food selection, dice roll of whether you're close to the strip club noise, overall noise from the busy roads, the crammed shower space in the nonhandicap rooms, and the 'hot' water being only somewhat warmer than lukewarm (at least in the three montaza rooms I've tried) are all things against Montaza. But I mean the price is great, especially the non handicap room, the food is also cheaper, the staff is also nice and helpful , the nurse visits are nice 

When are you thinking of doing LL in Athens? I might be around for a while

SpeedDialer

« Reply #171 on: October 09, 2022, 09:14:17 PM »

You know actually it might not be as bad as I thought at first. It seems that precise femur and precise tibia patients still use the walker for short distances (within their room for example). It is just seems that the nurses really do not want internal tibia to use their walker to go outside for very long (such as to the PT center). However, I think actually they are OK with internal femur patients going to the PT center with their walker, I think the girl who is doing internal femurs goes to PT with her walker. So I'm a bit confused--- but I do remember that internal tibia patients I believe only go to the PT center with their wheelchair

But for someone who mainly stays in their room and isn't interested in exploring Athens, it might not be a big deal. And you can still explore outside with the wheelchair always.

Though I find the old, cracked, and uneven pavement all around Athens to be very unfriendly to wheelchairs though, frankly I find the old pavement to be slightly unfriendly to even walker users

SpeedDialer

« Reply #172 on: October 09, 2022, 09:23:21 PM »

I think the hardest part now is just waking up

I can't tell if it is just a false perception, but it feels as if when I wake up my legs feel physically harder to the touch

And they feel very stiff and sore and less responsive

And in the first two or so hours after waking up I think to myself that clicking is going to be hard

But eventually, the thighs become less sore (but still sore) and my clicking technique I feel is really good now (the wounds healing helps I think for the current positions I use) and I've always been able to do the clicks each day. However, I have kept pushing the clicks to be later in the day to buy me more time hoping the legs will become less sore

I've improved my right leg clicking technique enough its not that much harder than left leg clicking. If you're wondering, I find right leg clicking to be rough because the big click is first (if that doesn't make sense, it will once you start clicking, you apply alot more force to your leg for the first click, it feels better if that first click is the small click).

I feel like the main thing the first two hours is to stay busy with misc tasks while you're waiting for the legs to stop feeling like sore bricks (go pee, drink some water, brush teeth, eat breakfast, wash your face, do some light cycling, do some light stretches, stay busy don't just lay in bed) and eventually the legs will become less heavy feeling but they will still feel sore 

Every time I eat a meal, I end up with a dilemma-- "if I don't eat the painkiller before the meal and instead I eat it after the meal,... will the painkiller take alot longer to kick in/be frustrating that it is taking too long to kick in?" I don't know the scientific answer but this thought seems to enter my mind and causes me to often take painkillers right before meals

SpeedDialer

« Reply #173 on: October 09, 2022, 09:31:09 PM »

Thanks!!

I might have misspoken, because I just realized I think the girl who is a precise femur patient does come to PT with her walker I believe. I don't know if her weight plays into this, though, she looks very lightweight

Yet for some reason it may be different for internal tibia patients, who I think only come to PT with their wheelchair

Also the femur precise girl seem to live at Novotel without the nurses coming to see her regularly, so actually precise femur might be alot more independent than I thought

SpeedDialer

« Reply #174 on: October 09, 2022, 09:42:46 PM »

In terms of how the the height feels, I've only lengthened a little ( abit more than 2 cm I think) but since I started out about the height of the female nurse -> the lengthening has the effect of making the female nurse look progressively shorter each day

thankscience

« Reply #175 on: October 10, 2022, 11:09:37 AM »

I think the hardest part now is just waking up

I can't tell if it is just a false perception, but it feels as if when I wake up my legs feel physically harder to the touch

And they feel very stiff and sore and less responsive

And in the first two or so hours after waking up I think to myself that clicking is going to be hard

But eventually, the thighs become less sore (but still sore) and my clicking technique I feel is really good now (the wounds healing helps I think for the current positions I use) and I've always been able to do the clicks each day. However, I have kept pushing the clicks to be later in the day to buy me more time hoping the legs will become less sore

I've improved my right leg clicking technique enough its not that much harder than left leg clicking. If you're wondering, I find right leg clicking to be rough because the big click is first (if that doesn't make sense, it will once you start clicking, you apply alot more force to your leg for the first click, it feels better if that first click is the small click).

I feel like the main thing the first two hours is to stay busy with misc tasks while you're waiting for the legs to stop feeling like sore bricks (go pee, drink some water, brush teeth, eat breakfast, wash your face, do some light cycling, do some light stretches, stay busy don't just lay in bed) and eventually the legs will become less heavy feeling but they will still feel sore 

Every time I eat a meal, I end up with a dilemma-- "if I don't eat the painkiller before the meal and instead I eat it after the meal,... will the painkiller take alot longer to kick in/be frustrating that it is taking too long to kick in?" I don't know the scientific answer but this thought seems to enter my mind and causes me to often take painkillers right before meals
Does Athens BJR give you the exercise bike to keep in your hotel room?

SpeedDialer

« Reply #176 on: October 10, 2022, 01:29:26 PM »

Does Athens BJR give you the exercise bike to keep in your hotel room?

yes but it does not really fit in the small Montaza non-handicap rooms and also I find it a bit sketchy/unstable to try to mount, especially early on in the process

I might actually choose to stay in Athens extra long until early March after hearing someone else consider it (not sure, might leave in earlier) and then sell my small floor pedal machine to a new patient, its awesome, can just use it instantly at the edge of the bed, can lie down on your back and then it also stretches the quads a bit as you use it

I bought it from the German amazon (there's no Greek amazon, but there are some other similar website s I hear) and it only had German instructions but luckily it had pictures so the nurse was able to figure out how to assemble it

SpeedDialer

« Reply #177 on: October 10, 2022, 01:32:03 PM »

I'm starting to think that based on my difficulties w/ quad/hamstring pain during PT, I might just focus on doing the quad stretch that stretches both leg's quads (sit at edge of bed, two legs dangle from bed, put balls of feet on floor, tuck feet in, knees forward) and the two leg hamstring stretch (sit at edge of bed, put both legs on wheelchair, lean forward)

in the hope that I just get more total quad and hamstring stretching by focusing on two leg stretches

I'm starting to think I should do less cycling and more stretching -> because that is what is going to decrease my pain during PT

SpeedDialer

« Reply #178 on: October 10, 2022, 01:38:30 PM »

Idk about other patients but the "after pee" effect of pee coming out right after you think you are finished peeing seems to be really noticeable in this journey, I think have something to soak it up always in anticipation

especially in the hospital

SpeedDialer

« Reply #179 on: October 10, 2022, 04:29:48 PM »

Toying with another idea to get in as much hamstring and quad stretch as possible

from the position of resting the back on the bed's back rest while sitting up:

Put two small pillows under your feet

1. Put heels on those two pillows, push down on both knees to stretch both hamstrings, then end this stretch

2. then stretch both quads by tucking both feet in towards butt (knees will be up towards air)

And then plan is to alternate just over and over between 1 and 2

Not sure if this is a good idea, still experimenting, but I think this is the easiest way to max out how much quad and hamstring stretches I get, wonder if there are better ideas?

SpeedDialer

« Reply #180 on: October 11, 2022, 07:05:27 PM »

I've learned:

don't say "my X muscle is tight" to the nurses/PT. They sometimes interpret you as blaming the result on something out of your control or you claiming that your muscle is more tight than other patients. They may feel your muscle and say "oh no, its about as soft as other patients"

I think instead you can say like "the current range of motion of X muscle is low/not many degrees" which is an objective observation

The crutches feel way better than the walker, less hand pain. I like walking near the front desk in case I drop a crutch or fall down and can call for help. But I feel that is unlikely-- the only places I'm really afraid of is the awful cracked/old/uneven pavement around Athens during the rain.

I'm somewhat under the (possibly false) impression that especially if you can stay near the doctor for longer and if your bone consolidation is not too fast, then it becomes more possible to just slow down the lengthening, which helps alot in the short term in terms of pain/range of motion. Is this impression wrong?

SpeedDialer

« Reply #181 on: October 11, 2022, 08:07:04 PM »

Ok I think I have found another way to max out how much quad/hamstring stretching you can do in X time

1. Sit on your wheelchair

2. To stretch quads, tuck feet in, still with feet on the ground, and knees forward  (can scoot wheelchair wheels forward)-> stretches both leg's quads

3. then, still on the wheelchair, scoot the wheelchair wheels backwards, legs more straightened, heels into the ground, butt still firmly planted in your wheelchair seat, slightly lean forward -> insta stretch of both leg's hamstrings. I don't think its a problem if your hands are on the wheel circles, you can't fall down, the legs hold you up, your butt is still on the wheelchair seat, + you can just roll forward to safety w/ the wheels + you're not really that forward leaning just slightly

And then just alternate between 2 and 3 and you can get in alot of quad and hamstring stretching pretty easily in a small amount of time

I don't know if this is a good idea or not but I'm toying with it in my mind, trying to just get as much quad and hamstring stretch as possible
« Last Edit: October 11, 2022, 08:35:48 PM by SpeedDialer »

SpeedDialer

« Reply #182 on: October 11, 2022, 08:10:28 PM »

Alright I'm gonna use the walker on days it rains, screw it

I know the physical therapists/nurses all prefer you use the crutches over the walker at some point, but for rainy days, screw it

Not gonna use the crutches on raining days, why take that risk?

Why risk falling? If you slip in the rain and fall when using crutches, you basically land on your arms/wrists, you cannot really use your legs to brace the fall as someone warned me

If you use a walker, guess what, its four metal legs always + your two legs, its really hard to ever fall down

I know some nurses think it will be fine on crutches in the rain because the walk from the taxi to the physical therapy center is relatively short----but what exactly do you gain for that risk? Like literally the benefit is only a few more minutes of crutches practice instead of walker practice, that's it. (also the pavement around there is awful, uneven, cracked). Why use the crutches outside in the rain when I can, at any time, do indoor crutches walking practice whenever I want by the front desk hotel workers near people who can help me?

I'll take the scolding by the physical therapists for using the walker on raining days, I'm using the walker on raining days anyway, they can bite me 

I'll check the weather the morning right before physical therapy- if there is significant chance of rain, I'm taking the walker, not the crutches to physical therapy

Why not use the wheelchair on rainy days? Well the thing is that there is not always a gentle slope up to the pavement of the physical therapy center depending on where the cars are parked. It is probably workable if I just ask the taxi driver to get me up to the sidewalk but then the physical therapists will be even more pissed to see me on a wheelchair as opposed to a walker
« Last Edit: October 11, 2022, 08:31:01 PM by SpeedDialer »

canterk

« Reply #183 on: October 13, 2022, 03:52:15 PM »

how are you ? it seems Dr. G has a lot of patients nowadays. is this correct or is just my perception due to the increase in forum diaries.

SpeedDialer

« Reply #184 on: October 13, 2022, 07:51:08 PM »

how are you ? it seems Dr. G has a lot of patients nowadays. is this correct or is just my perception due to the increase in forum diaries.

There's like 5 new Dr. G patients in this hotel (Montaza) including myself that weren't here in September 1st 

It feels like there are new patients every 2 weeks or so, I might be wrong but it feels that way

I feel like he's super busy with new patients and this like doesn't even include his UK office

What are your thoughts on Novotel vs Montaza hotel for internal tibias in Athens? I'm still thinking about this, kinda wish Montaza had better fruit selection for their breakfast buffet and more desk space

SpeedDialer

« Reply #185 on: October 13, 2022, 07:54:18 PM »

Alright so I think right now actually to get in alot of stretching there's this simpler method:

Sit at edge of bed, rotate between these three stretches:

1. Lie on back, pull one knee to chest -> hip flexor stretch on other leg

2. Sit upright, knees forward, heels in -> stretches both legs for quads

3. Sit upright, heels of feet into ground, lean forward -> stretches both hamstrings

I am willing to bet that your hamstrings/quads/hip flexors will be bigger problems than your IT band/adductors but evidently that's not always the case, I've bumped into one person who had alot of problems with IT band (but I'm confused by how that works, I don't have problems w/ the IT band itself after the IT band release, just the nerves that are stretched during the IT band stretches)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up