Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tips for Precice?  (Read 464 times)

V21

Tips for Precice?
« on: March 22, 2021, 12:10:52 PM »

Hey guys, I'm having the surgery in June, and I'm trying to solve as many problems as I can regarding the lack of weightbearing. I will get the 12.5 nail, but I will be like 155 lbs at the very least, so I'm really worried about not using the walker properly and bending the nail. Regarding getting into the taxi everyday, I think I will just pay more for special taxis for cripples, those that have like a ramp for the wheelchair.

However, I'm worried about getting to the bahtroom. I have been doing "tests" with a wheelchair I have and dude... how the hell do you get into the toilet without using your legs at all?
Any veteran has any tips? I know some of you just got up, but I'm too heavy.

ThanksĀ”

FormerKidd

Re: Tips for Precice?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2021, 03:23:12 PM »

Femur or tibia?

Especially if the femur, the area under the nails weighs several pounds, meaning at 155lbs, you can probably safely stand straight up.  (But remember, bending your leg puts more pressure on the nail and you can never be on one feet;  always both or neither!)

Your PTs should help show you how to do some of this during recovery.

BreaktoGrow

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2021, 03:44:50 PM »

Take everything I say with a grain of salt as I've never had the procedure (waiting for Stryde) and can only speak from the information I've gathered from questionable sources. It seems like with Precice, a caretaker is necessary. Apparently, trying to accomplish everything on your own without assistance is very difficult. You may be able to get by for a little while, but the struggle really plays heavily on your mental health. If you cannot wait for Stryde, I suggest you seriously consider hiring a caretaker as it appears to be essential for a successful lengthening. The last thing you'd want to do is damage the nails and delay the entire process by having them replaced and putting your body through more surgery. No matter what you choose to do, remember this: People have successfully lengthened with Precice. Success is found when preparation meets opportunity. Just make sure you're fully prepared. Believe in yourself and be careful. Best of luck!

FormerKidd

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2021, 06:44:59 PM »

It seems like with Precice, a caretaker is necessary.

Honestly, this is probably advisable regardless of which rod you use.  Initially, you need lots of help -- the first few weeks can be brutal.  After that, you maybe just need someone occasionally to help with certain chores and so forth.

6CMFemurs

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2021, 07:05:03 PM »

Hey guys, I'm having the surgery in June, and I'm trying to solve as many problems as I can regarding the lack of weightbearing. I will get the 12.5 nail, but I will be like 155 lbs at the very least, so I'm really worried about not using the walker properly and bending the nail. Regarding getting into the taxi everyday, I think I will just pay more for special taxis for cripples, those that have like a ramp for the wheelchair.

However, I'm worried about getting to the bahtroom. I have been doing "tests" with a wheelchair I have and dude... how the hell do you get into the toilet without using your legs at all?
Any veteran has any tips? I know some of you just got up, but I'm too heavy.

ThanksĀ”

It is super easy to use the walker properly. You are offloading a ton if not almost all of your weight on every step. If you are 155, you should be able to do transfers with no problem. When I was lengthening, I once weighed how much weight I was actually putting on my leg with each walker step... It was literally like 25 pounds.

6CMFemurs

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2021, 07:05:47 PM »

@V21:

It is super easy to use the walker properly. You are offloading a ton if not almost all of your weight on every step. If you are 155, you should be able to do transfers with no problem. When I was lengthening, I once weighed how much weight I was actually putting on my leg with each walker step... It was literally like 25 pounds.

V21

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2021, 09:15:19 PM »

I a doing just 5.5 cm on femurs and, luckily, my gf comes with me to help, so I have "caretekar". However, she can't help me with my weight lol
Pages: [1]   Go Up