Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Dr. Monegal - Tibia and Femur - Fitbone - glenn  (Read 67290 times)

glenn

Re: Dr. Monegal - Tibia and Femur - Fitbone - glenn
« Reply #93 on: November 07, 2015, 01:22:42 AM »

Thanks Deutsch Mark and Musicmaker for your different viewpoints!

My belief is that there are pros and cons between one-stage and two-stage.

My personal opinion is that two-stage is "slightly safer, but takes slightly longer." I say safer because there are less variables to manage at one time, meaning less things can go wrong. Also, in terms of day-to-day mobility, if you lose your balance while moving on your crutches, or in the bathroom, you can always save yourself by putting your weight on your good leg. I'm on crutches now so I realize that this is a big plus.

For Fitbone, there's no need for a wheelchair when doing two-stages. That's not a trivial consideration. For G-nail there is no need for wheelchair either (I think), since it's full weight-bearing. But is the mobility really comparable to two-stage patients? I'm not sure that it would be. 

But the big disadvantage for two-stage is the time involved (both in terms of number of surgeries and recovery time) and more importantly the prolonged psychological stress for the patient. This too, is not something that is trivial.

I guess every patient's value system is different, and it just depends on what aspect is more important to them.

glenn

« Reply #94 on: November 07, 2015, 01:28:07 AM »

Hi Goldenegg, thank you for the advice!

Yep, I think I will have to do the same and find a walk-in clinic. I wonder if I can get away with just telling them that it was to correct axis deviation or valgus?

btw, how's your recovery coming along?

glenn

« Reply #95 on: November 07, 2015, 01:31:26 AM »

Hi Yagen,

No problem at all, my pleasure! Feel free to let us all know how it turns out.

Good luck!

goldenegg

« Reply #96 on: November 08, 2015, 04:19:26 AM »

Hi Goldenegg, thank you for the advice!

Yep, I think I will have to do the same and find a walk-in clinic. I wonder if I can get away with just telling them that it was to correct axis deviation or valgus?

btw, how's your recovery coming along?

going well- I'm about 2 months into consolidation, but feeling impatient to be able to walk without crutches until the dr clears me hopefully soon.  at first I was so excited to be done with lengthening but didn't realize I I'd still have all the same physical limitations until my bones consolidated enough.  without the daily PT sessions and clicking, I'm really just bored these days since I'm not working and in hiding from my friends and family as long as I have crutches.  once I can walk again I feel like I'll be able to get on with the rest of my life. though, I suppose I should be grateful that's my only complaint right now haha

hope life back home is going smoothly for you.  also, I was wondering if there's been any notable differences in your experience with your femur vs tibia lengthening so far (other than ballerina)? was one more more difficult or painful?  do you expect your tibia to consolidate much sooner since you did less?

alps

« Reply #97 on: November 08, 2015, 06:18:36 PM »

going well- I'm about 2 months into consolidation, but feeling impatient to be able to walk without crutches until the dr clears me hopefully soon.  at first I was so excited to be done with lengthening but didn't realize I I'd still have all the same physical limitations until my bones consolidated enough.  without the daily PT sessions and clicking, I'm really just bored these days since I'm not working and in hiding from my friends and family as long as I have crutches.  once I can walk again I feel like I'll be able to get on with the rest of my life. though, I suppose I should be grateful that's my only complaint right now haha

hope life back home is going smoothly for you.  also, I was wondering if there's been any notable differences in your experience with your femur vs tibia lengthening so far (other than ballerina)? was one more more difficult or painful?  do you expect your tibia to consolidate much sooner since you did less?

isn't Guichet nail completely weight bearing?

what is your weight?

goldenegg

« Reply #98 on: November 09, 2015, 03:20:03 AM »

isn't Guichet nail completely weight bearing?

what is your weight?

hey SAD, Im ~60kg and have the smaller diameter gnails.  yes the gnail is fully weight bearing in the sense that you can put your full weight when standing or walking with a walker or crutches like glenn pointed out earlier.  however, you can't walk too much unaided unless there's enough consolidation.  I don't believe there is any current nailing method that really lets you walk unaided from day 1. even if the nail was indestructible there are still other weak points in the screws or bone that can break. 

I dont wanna hijack glenn's diary, but if you have anymore questions about my experience with dr. G feel free to PM me

glenn

« Reply #99 on: November 09, 2015, 12:34:41 PM »

Hi Goldenegg!

I'm really just bored these days since I'm not working and in hiding from my friends and family as long as I have crutches.

I was just thinking: why the need to hide from people when you're in crutches? In fact, I think it would be the perfect time to ease people into your new height, since their subconscious would link the height difference as having something to do with the crutches.

Sure, everybody's family and friends are different, but it might be something you want to ponder. I think a lot of guys just use the "ski accident" excuse or something anyway. And underarm crutches are commonly only used for temporary injuries so there's no stigma attached to it.

Life back at home is peaceful and lazy. I've been eating too well and sleeping too much. So much so that I've got to cut down on my carbs since I'm gaining weight. I was about 57kg before surgery, now I'm 61 kg. It's not much now, but percentage wise I'm sure that if I'm not careful it can get out of control very easily and really affect my recovery.

Since I'm doing cross-leg, I guess I have a better comparison between femur and tibia since I'm doing both methods at the same time and the experience of both are fresh in my mind. Here's a list of random observations, if anybody wants further clarification let me know:

- It's true what they say, femur is easier than tibia. Your leg is just that much stronger in that segment. I still haven't finished distracting my femurs yet, but even so, my femur side is still more powerful and stable than my tibia side.
- From about 1cm to 3cm, most of the stretching pain was on my femurs. I felt nothing on my tibia side and was loose and fully flexible.
- From about 4cm to 5cm, I hit the ballerina "wall" and my foot started dropping with each millimeter I lengthened and regardless of how hard I pushed myself to stretch it was a losing battle. I felt pretty much nothing on femur side at that time.
- From 6cm onwards, lengthening pains on femur were more noticeable, but nothing compared to the stress of what I endured on tibia.
- When moving around in bed or maneuvering to a certain position, it's more painful on femur side than tibia side. Although I'm not sure if this is because I've finished tibia distraction and the femur side is still lengthening. Or maybe because there is more muscle, nerves, ligaments etc rubbing up against the femur nail compared to tibia?
- For PT, the most painful thing by far is stretching the quadriceps (again, maybe there are more nerves in that area?). Stretching calves and hamstrings were comparatively less painful by far.
- From my experience, it's far easier to "power through" femur discomfort than tibia issues.
- Psychologically, I feel more "fragile" on my tibia side. Maybe because my calves are smaller than my thighs and they have to bear more mass than the femur side. (That is, my tibia segment has to bear the weight of everything above it, including the thighs and body, while my other femur segment on the other side bears less with only the weight of the body).
- With femurs, I have difficulty bending my leg at the knee. With tibia, I have difficulty bending my ankle. In terms of biometrics and gait, it's far easier to (try to) walk normally on femur side than tibia side.
- Going up and down stairs, I rely on the femur side as my strong leg. I honestly don't know if it would be possible for me to go up or down stairs if I had done both my tibia at the same time. Again, you have no idea how important ankle flex is to normal movement until you lose it.
- When I'm in the shower and I look down at my legs, aesthetically I prefer the longer tibia. The side with the longer femur makes me look "stumpy".  This feeling goes away when I put on my underwear. I suppose it's because optically, the underwear will "shorten" the visible length of the femur. When I stand up and look at myself in a full-length mirror, I have no aesthetic preference whatsoever on which side is better. They both look just fine and normal to me (even though the knees are at different heights).

And to answer your final question about whether I expect my tibia will consolidate sooner since I lengthened less... No. my current feeling is that my femur will catch up and recover quicker since tibs are so much weaker. (IMO)

Hope this helps!

glenn

« Reply #100 on: November 09, 2015, 12:38:56 PM »

Also guys, don't worry too much about hijacking my thread or anything like that. I'm happy to have people talk with each other and make conversation here. Feel free to do so; otherwise it's just me posting on the wall and that gets pretty boring.  ;)

Taller

« Reply #101 on: November 09, 2015, 04:07:59 PM »

So, based on your post above, you think that just 7CM on the femurs alone will make someone with your proportions look a little odd or stumpy while nked?

glenn

« Reply #102 on: November 09, 2015, 05:06:41 PM »

So, based on your post above, you think that just 7CM on the femurs alone will make someone with your proportions look a little odd or stumpy while nked?

Hey Taller!

In my case, while looking downwards at myself, yes.

Taller

« Reply #103 on: November 09, 2015, 08:26:16 PM »

Hey Taller!

In my case, while looking downwards at myself, yes.

Thanks for your reply. Any chance you could post a comparison picture? Not nked, of course  ;)

glenn

« Reply #104 on: November 09, 2015, 10:15:36 PM »

Thanks for your reply. Any chance you could post a comparison picture? Not nked, of course  ;)

Hi Taller... Sorry to disappoint, no pics. Not too comfortable with that at this point. Maybe in the future...

goldenegg

« Reply #105 on: November 10, 2015, 02:55:14 AM »

awesome... thank you glen for that detailed comparison of femur vs. tibia lengthening.  I've been looking for something like that and it's incredibly more helpful coming from someone who has firsthand experience with both. 

glad to hear things are going well back home.  also, I think it's good you're gaining weight!  dr. G was always yelling at me to eat more since I was losing weight haha.  remember you have longer legs/muscles now and metal rods in your bones so you should weigh more 

yagen

« Reply #106 on: November 10, 2015, 12:42:16 PM »

Great description Glenn!!! Nice job!!

Yesterday I was with Dr Monegal, he is very funny and is a person close to you.
He showed me pictures and videos of a few patients, we spoke about the people that I knew about the forum like you Glenn and Bohemia.

we have spoken about the pros and contras of the operation in one or two phases. Finally I decided to do in two phases, He showed me a video of a boy the day after he finnished the fisrt leg, and he was walking withot crutches. He can do a normal live.

I am going to do the LL in January and three months after the other leg.
Now, he has to send me the budget.

Do you know how to start a new topic??

Many thanks

Taller

« Reply #107 on: November 10, 2015, 02:59:44 PM »

Hi Taller... Sorry to disappoint, no pics. Not too comfortable with that at this point. Maybe in the future...

No worries. Totally understand where you're coming from. Glad your experience has been good so far.

glenn

« Reply #108 on: November 10, 2015, 07:14:40 PM »

Great description Glenn!!! Nice job!!

Yesterday I was with Dr Monegal, he is very funny and is a person close to you.
He showed me pictures and videos of a few patients, we spoke about the people that I knew about the forum like you Glenn and Bohemia.

we have spoken about the pros and contras of the operation in one or two phases. Finally I decided to do in two phases, He showed me a video of a boy the day after he finnished the fisrt leg, and he was walking withot crutches. He can do a normal live.

I am going to do the LL in January and three months after the other leg.
Now, he has to send me the budget.

Do you know how to start a new topic??

Many thanks

Hi Yagen,

Great news, welcome to the club!  8) To start a new topic, if you're asking to start a new diary, click here to go into the "Internals" section of the forum:  http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?board=34.0 and click "New Topic" (it's on the right side).

I know it's a challenging process, so allow me to give you some advice... You're doing femurs, right? I see you are asking about pain on the forum. Don't worry about pain, you will be able to manage that with medication. There is nothing more important than flexibility, pre-op. There are only two things you need to do now:

1. Stretch your quadriceps
2. Stretch your hamstrings

The more you stretch now, the easier your life will be during recovery. Keep improving your flexibility until surgery time and you will thank me later.

For quadriceps, do this (as far back as possible, with your foot touching your butt):

and this one:

For hamstrings, do this (legs straight, no cheating):

When you can do this, you'll be in good shape  ;D:

Good luck buddy, let me know if you have any questions!

Bohemia

« Reply #109 on: November 10, 2015, 11:57:13 PM »

There is nothing more important than flexibility, pre-op. There are only two things you need to do now:

1. Stretch your quadriceps
2. Stretch your hamstrings

The more you stretch now, the easier your life will be during recovery. Keep improving your flexibility until surgery time and you will thank me later.

I confirm this x 1,000!

I strongly recommend you stretch quadriceps and hamstrings prior to treatment, so the follow-up stretching becomes familiar and second nature in advance.
Dr. Alex Monegal / Barcelona, Spain / Femurs 8cm / Implanted August 25, 2015 / Removed February 21, 2018

yagen

« Reply #110 on: November 13, 2015, 09:31:03 AM »

Thank you so much Glen and Bohemia for the recomendations.

I have started my streching exercises.

I will have the surgery on 16 January of 2016.

How is the consolidation.

glenn

« Reply #111 on: November 13, 2015, 10:32:10 AM »

Good luck Yagen! I'm sure everything will be fine!

glenn

« Reply #112 on: November 16, 2015, 01:05:17 PM »

That's it! I've just finished lengthening my left femur!

My original goal was 7cm, but I went to 7.2cm just in case there was any mistakes with my counting.

For you stats nerds: I reached 5cm on right tibia on day 54 of lengthening, and reached 7.2cm on left femur on day day 77. I started lengthening five days post-op.

Feels pretty good, but I'm still only halfway done. Can't wait to get started on the other segments in February!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D   

Taller

« Reply #113 on: November 16, 2015, 03:12:32 PM »

CONGRATULATIONS GLENN! Wow, it must feel good knowing that becoming taller is actually happening!

I have a few questions if you don't mind:

1. Do you plan on lengthening the other femur 7.2CM as well or 7CM?

2. Do you gain the same amount of height as what you lengthen on femurs, or do you gain slightly less height due to the natural angualation of femur bones?

3. Based on your experience, if you could only do one segment, do you think 6CM femur or 5CM tibia would look more natural/proportionate?

Thanks, and again congratulations on completing the first stage of you lengthening!

yagen

« Reply #114 on: November 16, 2015, 04:09:10 PM »

Congratulation Glen!!! Great job in just 2,5 months.

Now the consolidation stage!!! tell us how is you recovery and what things are easy to do now?

Cheers

yagen

« Reply #115 on: November 16, 2015, 04:14:43 PM »

A ratio of 0,9 in tibia is awesome!!! just 54 days.

Great job  ;) ;)

glenn

« Reply #116 on: November 16, 2015, 09:27:43 PM »

Hi Taller,

CONGRATULATIONS GLENN! Wow, it must feel good knowing that becoming taller is actually happening!
Thanks! I feel quite relieved that I'm finished this part and that I can concentrate on consolidation. Yeah, being taller, even while on crutches, still rocks! It has definitely improved how I see myself and my general happiness.

I have a few questions if you don't mind:
No worries about the questions, I love talking about myself  ;D ;D ;D 8)

1. Do you plan on lengthening the other femur 7.2CM as well or 7CM?
According to my telemetry x-ray before operation, my left femur was 2mm longer to begin with. As a general guideline I will try to distract the same number of times as my other leg to make sure most of the variables are the same. But it's very tough to lengthen to exact figures, so I think I will take a telemetry x-ray before I finish the second femur and then work according to those numbers to make adjustments at the end and see how it goes.

2. Do you gain the same amount of height as what you lengthen on femurs, or do you gain slightly less height due to the natural angualation of femur bones?

User JConnor wrote a reply to something like this in another thread. I think it's pretty reasonable, so I will just quote him here:
There's no need to speculate. The average angle of the femur from vertical is 9 degrees. From this point it is basic trigonometry. 

If you lengthen 8.00 cm or 6.00 cm along the anatomical axis, you actually gain 7.90 cm and 5.93 cm in height, respectively.

If you lengthen along the mechanical axis, which is 3 degrees from vertical, you'd gain 7.99 cm and 5.99 cm.

So far as lost height goes, it's really inconsequential as the most you stand to lose is 1 mm.

3. Based on your experience, if you could only do one segment, do you think 6CM femur or 5CM tibia would look more natural/proportionate?
Hmmm....  You're like 178cm, aren't you? Honestly I don't think 6cm on either segment for you would make any discernible difference regarding disproportion.

Knowing what I know now, if I could only do one segment, I would do femurs (even though I aesthetically prefer my longer tibs). A few reasons why I say this:

1. Safety. For me, the most stressful thing so far has been worrying about ballerina. There is something very scary about seeing your foot drop millimeter by millimeter and not being able to flat-foot it no matter how much weight you stand on it.

Also, less stuff can go wrong with femurs, compared to tibs.

2. Recovery. The femur segment is stronger and recovers faster.

3. Options. If you reach 6cm on femur and you decide your proportions can handle more, you have the option of going to 8cm. On tibia, it's more likely that your body will dictate how far you can go and not the other way around.

Hope this helps!

glenn

« Reply #117 on: November 16, 2015, 09:53:03 PM »

Congratulation Glen!!! Great job in just 2,5 months.

Now the consolidation stage!!! tell us how is you recovery and what things are easy to do now?

Cheers

Hi Yagen,

Thanks for the well wishes!

Recovery is going well.. Ummm, let's see:

1. I had some lower back pain near my left hip. I read online that it was usually because of improper use of crutches. I believe it was because I was unconsciously relying on my strong leg too much, which led to me avoiding the use of the other side. I adjusted my crutches and made a conscious effort to improve my form by putting equal weight on both legs and now the lower back pain has improved quite a bit.

2. Hyperextension is perfect. Femur side is getting stronger day by day; enough for me to make improvements in my quad stretches. Tibia side is still tight, and not improving as quickly, but I can still feel it loosening up gradually.

3. In terms of general walking around (on crutches), I can feel improvements in strength and stability with each passing day. Haven't had the confidence to test walking balance yet.

4. Stairs I am still very slow and cautious about. I can go up and down stairs (using crutches and the rail) safely, but it takes a bit of time and energy.

yagen

« Reply #118 on: November 17, 2015, 09:22:11 AM »

Thank you so much for all the info  :)

How many times do you do stretching? and how long?

bluebarbie

« Reply #119 on: November 17, 2015, 12:32:23 PM »

Hi, glen
  I read that it is difficult to bend the your knees on the femur side. May i know how?
Which areas are painful and what kind of pains are they? How much can you bend now?
Wishing u fasted recovery.
Latn with Dr Sarbjit Singh(Singapore)
Surgery dates: first (10.01.2015), second (16.07.2015)
Lenghtening finished (01.05.2015)
Starting height 145cms, Goal 7 to 7.5cms
Achieved 7.9cms. Lenghtened 8.4cms so lost only 5mms on second internal nailing surgery.

glenn

« Reply #120 on: November 17, 2015, 04:27:16 PM »

Hi Yagen!

I don't really have a set schedule. I stretch throughout the day whenever I'm on my bed and while I work on the computer. So for example, even now while typing this reply, I'm doing leg raises:

I also do a lot of this while I'm watching youtube or whatever:

Alu

« Reply #121 on: November 17, 2015, 04:32:54 PM »

Glenn,

First off congrats on your gain, it's good to hear you've made good on your goals.

Second, in terms of recovery, do you think this method of lengthening (cross-leg) is faster in terms of recovery overall? I ask because my goal is to just do all segments at once for a total gain of 8 cm, but I'm having a hard time thinking of the best and fastest way to do so. Id love to do what Iamready is doing but at the same time doing it cross leg like you seems to be a much more flexible means to do so

What is the time frame Monegal gave you for this method? Do you think I'd be possible for you to return to normal in exactly a year?

glenn

« Reply #122 on: November 17, 2015, 04:51:00 PM »

Hi, glen
  I read that it is difficult to bend the your knees on the femur side. May i know how?
Which areas are painful and what kind of pains are they? How much can you bend now?
Wishing u fasted recovery.

Hi Blue!

Ok, let me try to describe it.

When I do this exercise, much like the woman in the picture, my left leg can only bend about 90+ degrees at the knee. It's a similar movement to grabbing your tibia and trying to bring your knee to your chest.

There is no pain when I flex from 0 degrees to 90 degrees, but once I cross a bit more past that threshold I can feel tightness in the middle region of my quadriceps. If I force myself to bend a little further, that tightness begins to turn into pain. The pain stops when I release that pose.

Currently I can bend pretty much exactly like the lady in the picture...about 95 degrees or so?

Hope that helps! Let me know if anything's not clear.

glenn

« Reply #123 on: November 17, 2015, 06:19:22 PM »

Hi Alu!

First off congrats on your gain, it's good to hear you've made good on your goals.
Thanks man, I've been thinking of it for many years, so that's why I'm so grateful for everybody that is helping me make my goals come true.

Second, in terms of recovery, do you think this method of lengthening (cross-leg) is faster in terms of recovery overall? I ask because my goal is to just do all segments at once for a total gain of 8 cm, but I'm having a hard time thinking of the best and fastest way to do so. Id love to do what Iamready is doing but at the same time doing it cross leg like you seems to be a much more flexible means to do so

Hmmm... In purely theoretical terms, I would think the most efficient way to do it is to: first do two segments; wait about a week or two; then do the other two segments; stay in bed for 4+ months while mega-dosing on 6000+ calories per day (taking over the daily limit of calcium/D/protein); at least 2 full PT sessions per day in bed; electro-therapy to prevent atrophy; and maybe even some disputed bone-growth methods like ultrasound or magnets.

But that's just science fiction.  :P

Practically speaking though, I currently believe that cross-leg manages the risk better than same-segment. Like I said in an earlier post, it allows you to stagger your concentration: when you're dealing with femur issues, your tibia is fine; when you're battling tibia issues, your femur is fine.

Also, I want to say that quadrilateral lengthening should be viewed more as a marathon rather than a sprint. Instead of choosing the method that is "quickest," it might be more prudent to pick a method that is "more comfortable for most of the time" since it will be a long grind either way. (You might even consider same-leg, where you have one good leg at all times during your LL... but I don't have any experience with that).

I think Iamready clarified in his post today, he's done tibiae already but he's still awaiting to do femurs. He hasn't done all four segments at once if that's what you're thinking.

Maybe you have proportion concerns, but to answer your question: the quickest way to do 8cm, hands down, is to do bilateral femurs, not quadrilateral. Is it worth it to do quadrilaterals for 3+5 just to avoid proportion neurosis? IMHO not at all.

What is the time frame Monegal gave you for this method? Do you think I'd be possible for you to return to normal in exactly a year?

Dr. Monegal never gave me an exact time frame, he just said the schedule I did in my second post was fine. Too soon to say when I will return to normal, but judging by how fast my legs are getting stronger I'm conservatively optimistic about aiming for less than a year.

To give you another perspective: while I was at the MIC, there was a teenager there that was doing cross-leg quads as well. He did his second surgery on his fourth month, post-op. Before the second surgery, he was able to walk unaided for short distances (albeit unevenly since his knees were at different heights). If I remember correctly he did 4.8+6.2cm. Obviously, younger people heal faster, though.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 06:48:15 PM by glenn »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up