Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: About the anesthesia  (Read 1196 times)

loud

About the anesthesia
« on: July 02, 2019, 10:34:39 PM »

As you can guess I am thinking about the LL surgery and I'm considering the possibility, even though I know there might be complications about the lengthening procedure, since I never had a surgery before (lucky me) I am totally scared about one thing only: the general anesthesia. I know myself well enough to imagine how bad my body will react to something that force me to "sleep" (yes I know is not exactly sleep, probably is not sleep at all). As far as I know I am not allergic to anything and I am pretty healthy (35yo).

What I don't understand is why a surgery on a limb must be under general anesthesia, I know there are other kind of, such as regional and local anesthesia, and I know under some circumstances it is possible to perform a surgery on a tibia or so under regional anesthesia. So Is there any surgeon who perform LL under regional anesthesia? if not, why?

MirinHeight

Re: About the anesthesia
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 09:05:39 AM »

same, im scared of general anesthesia as well.

keep in mind, most physicians give you the option of having spinal/epidural too so you can be awake during surgery but you will not feel pain
currently 179 cm with a 6'2 wingspan
Goal: 182-183
top 5 LL surgeons: Paley, Rozbruch, Mahboubian,  Donghoon Lee, Giotikas

- planning to have LON tibias with dr donghoon lee in summer 2021

Rei

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2019, 09:38:25 AM »

Sounds like a completely irrational pain? You really prefer to just have local aneshesia and hearing your legs getting destroyed for 3 hours straight depending on the method instead just falling asleep and waking up with everything done? Go for it

loud

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 09:52:04 AM »

hearing? if you don't feel anything, who cares about what you hear? general anesthesia is not sleep, it's basically coma. The idea of putting my self in a near-death state is scary, you can go coma and never come back.

Also, thanks for saying that I didn't know the surgery lasts 3 hours.

Rei

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2019, 10:14:59 AM »

Still completely irrational, dosn’t make any sense, is like being scared of taking a plane or driving or go outside in general cause   happens

Thousands of people do it every year for any type of surgeries, the % of complications is so small that there are more chance dying crossing the street

Ghostfish

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2019, 10:19:07 AM »

hearing? if you don't feel anything, who cares about what you hear? general anesthesia is not sleep, it's basically coma. The idea of putting my self in a near-death state is scary, you can go coma and never come back.

Also, thanks for saying that I didn't know the surgery lasts 3 hours.
I don't know about external tibias but internal nail surgeries last longer than 3 hours, perhaps 4-5 hours.  I can't imagine there is anyone who can tolerate that long scary moment.  I also think the pain during and after the surgery can't be subsided by local anesthesia. I understand that general anesthesia is somewhat scary but there is no choice, if you want CLL.
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 04:56:50 PM »

As long as you don’t have any previous bad experiences with anesthesia and your tests have ok results you will be ok. The best thing you can do is to choose a reputable doctor in a safe and reputable hospital. I had my surgery 9 days ago and everything has been fine. Do not stress it too much my friend.

cheekycabs

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2019, 05:09:30 PM »

Has anyone here commented actually done the surgery?

You're generally given a spinal tap, you're awake for the entire procedure, there is no need for full anaesthetic for this. I would bring ear plugs though, the vibrations and the sounds of drills into your bones is terrifying.
External Tib Ilizarov, Azerbaijan: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=9418.0
Drugs, preparation, training: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1V2bNA_OsVwqR5Qp6fAWH7VFN6DaZPJ8YroUELsIy28k/edit

1 year post can run slowly, walking/gym everyday. Issues are zero, ankle tight waking up.

loud

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2019, 06:45:39 PM »

you who said some doctor would perform it under regional anesthesia can you please tell me who? is there any good doctor in Europe who would do that? thanks

Activatedx

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2019, 07:27:01 PM »

you who said some doctor would perform it under regional anesthesia can you please tell me who? is there any good doctor in Europe who would do that? thanks

I’ve had a few surgeries, my nose when I broke it (couldn’t breathe good needed septoplasty) and trust me there’s nothing really bad about anesthesia you’re overthinking it. Go to a good doctor and the anesthesiologists completely monitor your vital signs and if you show any intolerance to it they stop the process.

But it will be much better than being awake, I couldn’t bear that even if you don’t feel pain.
With general you literally knock out and wake up, it’s much easier. One second you’re awake next moment surgeries already over and done with 

loud

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2019, 08:56:21 PM »

Yeah of course I'm overthinking it because I'm afraid. Logically doesn't sound like a good idea to intentionally put yourself into a coma :D if a truck hits me and I'm dying, in that case I would totally understand and go under anesthesia, cause I'm already fked. But anyway, I was thinking, the way you described the general anesthesia makes me thing you don't realize the time passing. I am thinking it's strange even when you sleep, doesn't really feel like you fall asleep and wake up immediately, mostly because you're dreaming probably, during anesthesia you're not sleeping so you don't dream. But the question is, for you guys who did it, is it really like you knock out and wake up immediately or do you have the feeling that some time passed? I know it's a difficult question, just tell me your experience, it may help.

Rei

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2019, 09:08:22 PM »

You feel like you just wake up immediately but you are really stoned

Knik

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2019, 10:14:57 PM »

it should be like deep sleep, nothing else
but I also prefer local anesthesia
I remember all my operation when I was on local anesthesia after a terrible bike accident. I can remember surgeon talking and repearing my face
this is quite an experience
Looking for Pili

Aedi

• Visitor
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2019, 11:08:19 PM »

When I was a kid I had accident , my arm moved from my shoulder . They had to give me general anesthesia. I really wasn’t know what is going on . It felt like seconds for me . But later when I grow up and hear about complications of anesthesia don’t know if I would put my self again under it .

Activatedx

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2019, 12:16:18 AM »

Yeah of course I'm overthinking it because I'm afraid. Logically doesn't sound like a good idea to intentionally put yourself into a coma :D if a truck hits me and I'm dying, in that case I would totally understand and go under anesthesia, cause I'm already fked. But anyway, I was thinking, the way you described the general anesthesia makes me thing you don't realize the time passing. I am thinking it's strange even when you sleep, doesn't really feel like you fall asleep and wake up immediately, mostly because you're dreaming probably, during anesthesia you're not sleeping so you don't dream. But the question is, for you guys who did it, is it really like you knock out and wake up immediately or do you have the feeling that some time passed? I know it's a difficult question, just tell me your experience, it may help.

Nah doesn’t feel like time passed. The surgeries only a few hours so give or take you’ll be sedated 6 hours or so

It’s like 2/3 of a nights sleep. You don’t even feel like you’re sleeping just knock out and wake up

Ghostfish

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2019, 12:58:26 AM »

Has anyone here commented actually done the surgery?

You're generally given a spinal tap, you're awake for the entire procedure, there is no need for full anaesthetic for this. I would bring ear plugs though, the vibrations and the sounds of drills into your bones is terrifying.
I didn't know you did your surgery with local anesthesia.  However, your case is the full external device without any internal rod, so I guess the procedure is shorter and less invasive than other surgery.  Other internal nail surgeries take more time, need more precise surgery, and are perhaps more invasive surgeries per se.  I never heard that internal nail surgeries can be done with local anesthesia.

Activatedx

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2019, 06:06:48 AM »

I didn't know you did your surgery with local anesthesia.  However, your case is the full external device without any internal rod, so I guess the procedure is shorter and less invasive than other surgery.  Other internal nail surgeries take more time, need more precise surgery, and are perhaps more invasive surgeries per se.  I never heard that internal nail surgeries can be done with local anesthesia.

You don’t really need to do LL to know what general sense this feels like, I’ve done other surgery so firsthand I know what general feels like

loud

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2019, 04:15:30 PM »

I have been asking a (pretty famous) doctor who performs LL about the general anesthesia, he told me the reason why he won't consider regional is that there is a higher risk to have a complication that may lead to leg amputation. I don't remember the name of the complication he mentioned, he told me that under general he notice if something happens, while under regional we would notice day after when it will be too late, have you heard any of this?

I really want to do LL, I have the money, I have the patience, I can work from home, I just want to be sure I wake up from anesthesia and I won't lose a leg or two :P those are my 2 fears
Pages: [1]   Go Up