Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: My journey - Dr. Betz April 2022  (Read 8601 times)

Taller90

My journey - Dr. Betz April 2022
« on: August 06, 2022, 11:48:21 AM »

Hello everyone,

I am almost done but I wanted to share my experiences about my LL with you. First my personal key facts:
Starting height: 162,5 cm
Wingspan: 161 cm
Weight: 79kg before surgery (afterwards I came up to 75 kg)
no health issues and I am in a normal sport shape with regard to flexibility

Goal: 10-10 cm in femur

I had my surgery end of April 2022 and got a 11 Betzbone nail. It was my first surgery at all but I was positively surprised from the pain level. The clicking was painful at the beginning but I was able to handle it, if I have taken the painkillers 1-2 hours before. Overall I was on a normal painkiller level, Dr. Betz said. I used Novalgin (3xday), Tramadol (2xday) and Pregabalin (2xday) as I have got some nerve pains quite early. This might was my fault as I have speed-up the clicking rate very fast to 22 (4th day) and this might have triggered my nerve to much. However, I was two weeks in the hospital before I went back at home in Germany. I have done 18-20 clicks the first 3 cm and reduced afterwards the clicking rate to 15 till today. Overall, I had a kind of break even point after 3-4 cm where the clicking turned out very smoothly and more and more painless.

I am now at day 100  :D lengthened 8,7 cm and reduced my painkillers to a minimum (Novalgin only). I did get a bad duck ass in the meantime but I was able to improve it, so that I would say I have a slight duck ass right now. So far I am not suffering from any wide legs. As already mentioned by others Dr. Betz is doing the surgery together with Dr. Becker who is likely to become his successor. Both were/are great and were always available for me during the hospital time and afterwards. I was personally flashed by the engagement of Dr. Betz as during my surgery week Daniela (his assistant) got sick and as I have been in St. Ingbert, he had to handle everything alone but however he came and visited me every day. Afterwards I got in closer contact with Dr. Becker who is also absolutely responsive via WhatsApp and usually provides you a prompt answers (on Sunday, too!). They mean that I should get recovered fully from my slight duck ass as soon as the bone hailing has been completed (of course under the premise of intensive stretching). I personally didn't get done the IT release.

That's how it looks like now: https://imgur.com/a/7JpJD3n

If everything went well, I should receive 10 cm in two weeks. Up from there I will re-evaluate, if I should go further or not due to the proportions but I assume that this might gonna be ok as I had quite short legs before. Of course the femur/tibia ratio will not be good but I still look good in short pants, so I hope this additional 2,7 cm will not screw up everything...

I would be interested, if anyone suffered a similiar duck ass and got fully recovered out of it?

Let me know, if you have any questions.

Cheers,

Taller90
From 162.5cm to 174cm
Femur | Betzbone | 2022

My diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=71436.0#top

we.live.once

Re: My journey - Dr. Betz April 2022
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2022, 11:57:44 AM »

congratulations.
If I would have enough money, I would also choose Dr. Betz.
Can you drive a car by the moment?
from 185 to 190

boklecrt

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2022, 12:01:41 PM »

congratulations man your legs look very masculine and massive now
bet you will be very happy when all is said and done

how much did you pay for the surgery?
does your family know?
who has been helping you out with daily stuff or after you left the hospital you were on your own all this time in order to hide the surgery?

also, is it going to be too much of a trouble if you shoot a quick video of how you do a click?
5 cm gained through LON Tibia with Quynh in Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam
March 2022
SLAYER

we.live.once

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2022, 12:31:03 PM »

it is transparent. I already know it long time ago:
https://www.betzinstitute.com/patienten-info/16-kosten.html
from 185 to 190

Taller90

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2022, 04:52:11 PM »

congratulations.
If I would have enough money, I would also choose Dr. Betz.
Can you drive a car by the moment?

Thanks!
I have sold my car two weeks before surgery and honestly I am regretting it right now because yes I would be able to drive a car at the moment.
From 162.5cm to 174cm
Femur | Betzbone | 2022

Taller90

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2022, 05:41:02 PM »

does your family know?
who has been helping you out with daily stuff or after you left the hospital you were on your own all this time in order to hide the surgery?

also, is it going to be too much of a trouble if you shoot a quick video of how you do a click?

Thanks! I told my parents directly after I have done the surgery but only because they would have been worrying much more than me about it. Now they are my biggest supporter and visit me once a week always checking how much size I have achieved :) I have only informed my best friend about the surgery before and he was also the one who picked me up at the hospital after the two weeks. I live alone and had to handle my daily stuff at home alone which was indeed a bit difficult but feasible, if you have time and are fully motivated into it.

Luckily, I was able to take a paid leave from my work so that I had the time to focus on my recovery and organizing my daily life around it. I also live in a bigger city in Germany, so that I do my weekly grocery shopping online or go with the metro and a small bag to the next super market for smaller stuff. I took the bus and metro also for the way to the gym which I am visiting 5-6 times per week. As we have already started with muscle training in the hospital - I think it was from the 4th day - and Dr. Betz told us to continue with the gym (5-6x week) and physiotherapy (4-5x week) in addition to his stretching exercises, I think this might was the reason why my muscles came back in the meantime. I have lost a lot of muscles due to the surgery, in particular when it comes to the muscles around the hip (gluteal muscles). At the beginning, I was not able to raise my leg when I was on my side. Now this is working again very well.

I can strongly recommend everyone to take as much physiotherapy as possible in the first weeks. You might not need it strongly but it will help your recovery very much and help you to handle the remaining swelling, muscles hardening and pain. I have noticed that sauna, aqua walking and Jacuzzi were very good for me as well. Luckily, I was already a member of a good gym which already had this facilities too, so that I have linked it to my training 2-3 times per week. In particular the mix of warm and cold from a good sauna session were very good for me (but you need to know, that I have already visited the the sauna on a regular basis before).

I will try to get this video done in the upcoming days.

The costs of the surgery are listed transparently on the homepage of Dr. Betz https://www.betzinstitute.com. Just have a quick look there.
From 162.5cm to 174cm
Femur | Betzbone | 2022

we.live.once

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2022, 09:18:22 PM »

Thanks! I told my parents directly after I have done the surgery but only because they would have been worrying much more than me about it. Now they are my biggest supporter and visit me once a week always checking how much size I have achieved :) I have only informed my best friend about the surgery before and he was also the one who picked me up at the hospital after the two weeks. I live alone and had to handle my daily stuff at home alone which was indeed a bit difficult but feasible, if you have time and are fully motivated into it.

Luckily, I was able to take a paid leave from my work so that I had the time to focus on my recovery and organizing my daily life around it. I also live in a bigger city in Germany, so that I do my weekly grocery shopping online or go with the metro and a small bag to the next super market for smaller stuff. I took the bus and metro also for the way to the gym which I am visiting 5-6 times per week. As we have already started with muscle training in the hospital - I think it was from the 4th day - and Dr. Betz told us to continue with the gym (5-6x week) and physiotherapy (4-5x week) in addition to his stretching exercises, I think this might was the reason why my muscles came back in the meantime. I have lost a lot of muscles due to the surgery, in particular when it comes to the muscles around the hip (gluteal muscles). At the beginning, I was not able to raise my leg when I was on my side. Now this is working again very well.

I can strongly recommend everyone to take as much physiotherapy as possible in the first weeks. You might not need it strongly but it will help your recovery very much and help you to handle the remaining swelling, muscles hardening and pain. I have noticed that sauna, aqua walking and Jacuzzi were very good for me as well. Luckily, I was already a member of a good gym which already had this facilities too, so that I have linked it to my training 2-3 times per week. In particular the mix of warm and cold from a good sauna session were very good for me (but you need to know, that I have already visited the the sauna on a regular basis before).

I will try to get this video done in the upcoming days.

The costs of the surgery are listed transparently on the homepage of Dr. Betz https://www.betzinstitute.com. Just have a quick look there.

I am also living alone in Germany, but in a very small village. Maybe for my second surgery I wil have enough money to choose Dr. Betz.
Can't you make homeoffice?
from 185 to 190

Limbfan2020

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2022, 11:23:44 PM »

Congrats, Taller90! Keep strong!

Who performed the surgery? Betz, Becker or both?

Taller90

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2022, 09:34:05 AM »

I am also living alone in Germany, but in a very small village. Maybe for my second surgery I wil have enough money to choose Dr. Betz.
Can't you make homeoffice?

Now, I would be able to do homeoffice but at the beginning it would have been very difficult to work 8 Hours even at home, if you want to do all of Dr. betzs instructions. One hour PT, one hour gym, 3-5 times stretching (which usually Takes 1 hour as well) will keep you busy the most of your day. At the beginning I have needed about 1 hour for 18-20 klicks on both legs. Now, I am done in five minutes :D

So if you want to work you  will need to do less and this will probably effect your recovery time
From 162.5cm to 174cm
Femur | Betzbone | 2022

Taller90

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2022, 09:36:30 AM »

Congrats, Taller90! Keep strong!

Who performed the surgery? Betz, Becker or both?

Both
From 162.5cm to 174cm
Femur | Betzbone | 2022

Limbfan2020

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2022, 09:40:51 AM »

Both

What's ur impression on Dr. Becker?

ikocak

• Visitor
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2022, 11:12:32 AM »

How was the experience so far?

Taller90

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2022, 04:18:51 PM »

What's ur impression on Dr. Becker?

He is excellent from a service perspective, that means he is nearly always available via WhatsApp and provides you easy going but detailed answers. So far, I also didnt had any point to doubt the quality of his medical advice. Of course he does not have the same experience like Dr. Betz but first he is a qualified Plastic and Trauma surgeon, secound he is assisting Dr. Betz since three years at every surgery which means that he might have already done more than 300 CLL under the supervision of Dr. Betz and this is by far a lot. Finally Dr. Betz is always there as well, so this all together put me as Patient in a good feeling.
From 162.5cm to 174cm
Femur | Betzbone | 2022

Taller90

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2022, 04:25:08 PM »

does your family know?

I have remembered that there is also a video of the clicking on Dr. Betz homepage (Part of his Promotion clip on the website). However there is also another one in youtube from another patient.
https://m.
The clicking is starting at 1,20 minutes of the video and I am doing it right now exactly like the guy is doing it in the video.
From 162.5cm to 174cm
Femur | Betzbone | 2022

we.live.once

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2022, 06:15:32 PM »

Thank you for your answer. Do you think how long after the operation, it would be possible to work homeoffice totally 8 hours per day.
I mean not 8 hours in one part.
For example, working totally 1+1+1+1+0.5...=8 hours per day
Ich meine zwischendurch mach ich Pause wegen der OP.
Hope you could understand what I mean  :D
from 185 to 190

Taller90

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2022, 06:43:12 PM »

Thank you for your answer. Do you think how long after the operation, it would be possible to work homeoffice totally 8 hours per day.
I mean not 8 hours in one part.
For example, working totally 1+1+1+1+0.5...=8 hours per day
Ich meine zwischendurch mach ich Pause wegen der OP.
Hope you could understand what I mean  :D

Probably from day 1, if you split your working time flexible Cross the day and you dont go to a gym or have a real close one and have some help for your home stuff. At the beginning, I have needed 1 hour for the clicking, and 3-4 x 1hour stretching. That's the minimum you should do. The remaining time/work is up to you.
From 162.5cm to 174cm
Femur | Betzbone | 2022

Taller90

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2022, 04:24:33 PM »

Day 103 / 1620 Klicks / 9,024 cm

Today I have reached the 9 cm  :D :D The final goal of 10-11 cm isn't far anymore.
Here is an update how my current proportions look like and I would be happy to get your opinion about continuing with lengthening on:
a) +1cm = 10cm in total
b) +2cm = 11cm in total

https://imgur.com/a/uQONPSs
Thanks for any view on this.

I have done xRays last week and they still look good with a good performing callus. I am nearly painless - only some tightness in the right gluteus and IT Band which could be hopefully fixed by stretching after the clicking phase. My walking on crutches looks good and I can also walk without crutches a couple of meter but with the respective duck ass. I am so looking forward to the end of the clicking, when I can start with the real rehabilitation and stretching/working on my gait....

Finally I wanted to let you know, that I have done some very well experiences with an old Chinese technique calling "cupping" or in German: Schröpfen https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schröpfen. My PT hast tried it against my IT band pain which I had sometimes during the lengthening and he has used it also for my back and it has worked very well for me.
From 162.5cm to 174cm
Femur | Betzbone | 2022

informationispower

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2022, 05:06:09 PM »

Proportions look good :)

Do you have a "before" picture?

Vogel

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2022, 06:18:44 PM »

Hey man, you look great. I say stop at this height or get the 1cm to make it a total of 10cm.  I think stopping with this height is the best but if getting the 1 or 2cm will give you mental satisfaction than go for it. Good luck!!

we.live.once

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2022, 03:12:53 PM »

Now, I would be able to do homeoffice but at the beginning it would have been very difficult to work 8 Hours even at home, if you want to do all of Dr. betzs instructions. One hour PT, one hour gym, 3-5 times stretching (which usually Takes 1 hour as well) will keep you busy the most of your day. At the beginning I have needed about 1 hour for 18-20 klicks on both legs. Now, I am done in five minutes :D

So if you want to work you  will need to do less and this will probably effect your recovery time
how many days did you use till you could do 18-20 klicks in 5 minutes?
from 185 to 190

Taller90

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2022, 08:01:22 PM »

how many days did you use till you could do 18-20 klicks in 5 minutes?

It took a while… I think it was 4 weeks but Betz told me also before that after 3 or 4 weeks everything will go more smoothly (sleeping, clicking) and he was right.
From 162.5cm to 174cm
Femur | Betzbone | 2022

we.live.once

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2022, 08:19:06 PM »

:D Thank you for your info, that is good. I can use 4 weeks vacation for the beginning
from 185 to 190

akali

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2022, 07:40:18 AM »

Hey, Taller90! Thank you for the diary. It's great that you reached 9 cm so far. Do you have also X-ray photos?

Taller90

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2022, 09:32:14 AM »

Hey, Taller90! Thank you for the diary. It's great that you reached 9 cm so far. Do you have also X-ray photos?

no problem. here you go. Those x-rays has been made at 9,0 cm and Dr. Becker as well es my orthopedist at home were satisfied with the bone hailing.

https://imgur.com/a/wC6L8uH

I will have another check-up with Dr. Betz at 10,00 cm and then we will decide together, if I can go/should go further ahead to hit the 11 or not.
From 162.5cm to 174cm
Femur | Betzbone | 2022

djimbo9

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2022, 03:38:52 PM »

Good diary. I did femurs with Betz and Becker last month. My experience in short is this. Surgery went as smooth as possible, anesthesia, you wake up a few hours later a bit dizzy then 5 minutes later you're alright in your hospital room. Hospital is nice and clean but still a hospital (=depressing place). After a week they take you to the rehab center. My GOD. That place is SO GOOD. You feel like you're on a vacation. It's some place in the outskirts of Freiburg that's like a hotel and a clinic altogether and it's just incredible with restaurants, fountains, fresh air and trees. My room was incredible. For the important parts though. I only met Betz twice but I'm kinda glad I got 'sent' to Becker because he's super fast to respond all the time and overall a super cool guy. I heard it's a pain getting answers from Betz after surgery. Dr Becker, his successor, came like every two days and always responded super fast to my messages, something that continues now, 4 weeks after surgery. In the hospital, there was zero pain at all. Worst part was having to go to the toilet. First few days, you're unsure in your capabilities to walk and you get rushed by impatient nurses to sit in a tight MEGA UNCOMFORTABLE toilet seat and take a   while having constipation from all the painkillers. That was honestly a terrible experience. Most of the nurses were bad, as if they don't understand you've just had both of your legs broken, a few were very nice. Clicking, for the first few days was a breeze. Sod's law of course, as I went home after 2 weeks, it became my nightmare. I couldn't get the right technique and angle and it was super tedious, painful and slow reducing me to the point of wanting to scream. It's really important to find your position and technique, something I am unable to do even now although better. Everyday I was waking up with horror on my face knowing I have to click again. Terrible position, I bend my knee to the point of pain and it doesn't click. Depression. Then I called Dr Becker on facetime and he sorted it out in 3 minutes. Still it kinda hurts but at least it clicks. Then I found out I was going very slow and the right way is to grind your teeth and push as fast as you can but my left leg for some reason is still hard to find a position with. I am super desperate for clicking to get better and for me to finally be able to click like a normal man. I really hate stretching too. 3-4 hours a day of this, I hate waking up knowing I have to do it. It's a part of the game though, what can you do. Very used to life on crutches now. My initial gap was 0.6mm. I should have lengthened about 1.4cm so far so I should be 2cm taller. Afraid to measure though lol. It's been a very tough first few weeks for me, praying it gets better. As I said before, this is an experience for animals. None of us here is normal wanting to do this. I blame it all on society driving us to such insane lengths just so we could 'fit in'.

Issun-Boshi

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2022, 04:02:55 PM »

Thanks for the update, you seem to be making great progress.

Goal: 10-10 cm in femur

What do you mean by this? Do you intend to do 10cm in tibia and 10cm in femur?

Taller90

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2022, 09:11:48 AM »

Thanks for the update, you seem to be making great progress.

What do you mean by this? Do you intend to do 10cm in tibia and 10cm in femur?

I am sorry that was a mistake, it should be 10-11 cm in femur. I will not think about tibia yet as long as I am not fully recovered.

In general, I will achieve 10cm tomorrow and have also my catch-up with Dr. Betz/Becker to decide, if I should continue or not. At the moment, have no pain at all, just stiffness I the morning and I was able to keep my duck ass in the level I have posted above. Honestly I worry a bit about, if I will be really able to stretch my muscles to such an extend to remove my duck ass completely . But, if I have read it correctly there are already other people in this forum who are improving their duck ass after the lengthening phase, so this provides me a bit of hope at least.

From 162.5cm to 174cm
Femur | Betzbone | 2022

djimbo9

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2022, 09:16:23 AM »

I am sorry that was a mistake, it should be 10-11 cm in femur. I will not think about tibia yet as long as I am not fully recovered.

In general, I will achieve 10cm tomorrow and have also my catch-up with Dr. Betz/Becker to decide, if I should continue or not. At the moment, have no pain at all, just stiffness I the morning and I was able to keep my duck ass in the level I have posted above. Honestly I worry a bit about, if I will be really able to stretch my muscles to such an extend to remove my duck ass completely . But, if I have read it correctly there are already other people in this forum who are improving their duck ass after the lengthening phase, so this provides me a bit of hope at least.

Wow, you finish lengthening tomorrow. So, so lucky. I'm also a Dr Betz patient, kind of in the struggle atm. Do you mind shooting your whatsapp/telegram in DMs for a little talk?

Taller90

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2022, 02:10:09 PM »

Final end - Day 125

I owe you guys a feedback. Dr. Betz provided me his „go“ to continue the lengtheninng up to 11cm last week. He was very happy about my gait and my bone consolidation but he also said that it will take me another 3 months to walk on crutches   :(

However, I put a lot of thoughts into it and have decided to stop today at 10,76 cm.
Reason 1:
I should have reached at least my initial goal of 173cm. In the morning I was already at 172 although my back is still not straight. My PT guess that I should gain about 2-3 cm through a straight back. So I should be fine at this department.

Reason 2:
My femur should be now about 52,1cm long which is quite long for my current height and I dont want that i looks More strange than it could already looks for some people.

Reason 3:
If I am really gonna miss this 0,3 cm I can do the tibias and add them rather to them instead of the femurs. My tibias are 33,5cm so I can easy add 5-6,5 cm in a secound LL to them.

This is a current picture of my proportions right know.
https://imgur.com/a/FSVQmcO

Keep you updated

From 162.5cm to 174cm
Femur | Betzbone | 2022

Taller90

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2022, 02:13:47 PM »

PS: what do you guys think? Looking forward to your opinions!
From 162.5cm to 174cm
Femur | Betzbone | 2022

informationispower

« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2022, 02:25:15 PM »

Congrats. A side picture with underwear would be more accurate to judge proportions as you surely have duckass and a front pic with your torso tilting forward makes your legs appear shorter compared to torso.

Again, congrats
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up