Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lengthening One Leg at a Time?  (Read 638 times)

Afortunado

• Visitor
Lengthening One Leg at a Time?
« on: August 08, 2019, 01:31:16 PM »

Morning fellas,

This is the first post for me here. I'm 5'3'' (161 cm) and I'm looking to get my cLL with Precice nail in 2020.
I have read a lot about the complications and have consulted a world-renowned German professor of orthopedics.

His feedback is that I should do one leg at a time, which although doubles the total recovery time (from 6 months to ~1 year), would reduce the chance of infection, muscle atrophy, Osteoporosis, chances of infection spreading from one site to another and pain significantly.

Has anyone had similar feedback?

Activatedx

Re: Lengthening One Leg at a Time?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 05:33:47 PM »

Morning fellas,

This is the first post for me here. I'm 5'3'' (161 cm) and I'm looking to get my cLL with Precice nail in 2020.
I have read a lot about the complications and have consulted a world-renowned German professor of orthopedics.

His feedback is that I should do one leg at a time, which although doubles the total recovery time (from 6 months to ~1 year), would reduce the chance of infection, muscle atrophy, Osteoporosis, chances of infection spreading from one site to another and pain significantly.

Has anyone had similar feedback?

No

That’s idiotic

InFullStryde

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 05:53:45 PM »

Afortunado,

Doing both legs at the same time is safe and more reasonable in my opinion. You save money, time, and should one leg have an issue over the other leg; you won't risk being out of balance, since you have this knowledge while lengthening both legs and are able to stop the process....   CLL is becoming more main stream and the common practice is both legs at the same time.

Also, Precise is quickly becoming older technology. Is there any reason why you are not going with Stryde nail? You are up and walking almost close to normal in 4-5 months with Stryde. Precise could be 7 - 9+ Months; not to mention that you cannot put weight on the legs for nearly 4 months....  Higher risk of nail breakage as well during the actual process which is a catastrophic event for any patient to endure and can set you back a year or more.

What are your thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 08:29:30 PM by InFullStryde »
"Make the BEST of what you have and Make what you have, the BEST"
InFullSTRYDE with Dr. Mahboubian - Jan 2019
Start Height/End Height: 5'1.25"/5'4.25"
Status: Gained 3" and Recovered Successfully! | Stryde Nails Removed: November 2020
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=9671

star-ray

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 07:19:43 PM »

For me, the only reason why i did one leg at a time, i wouldn't he able to afford the surgery if I had quit my job, which I would have had to if I did both legs b. I didn't do one leg for any medical reasons.

I did my left leg 24th july, been working remotely this week and will be back in office this Monday (on crutches ofc but wouldn't be able to do this on a wheel chair).

However, Yea the overall time spent is double.  I am using fitbone, i didn't put my full weight on my first (right) leg until after 2ish months when my lengthening was done. One advantage of one leg is that you are walking / exercising that operated leg more as you can put partial weight and literally after 3 months it was well recovered and I was walking alot. But its was only one leg completed so it was like FFS u have to do this again lol.

I don't know how fitbone varies from precise,  but I know stryde is becoming very popular and the guy who commented above is a perfect example on why :) read his diary, very inspirational and informative.

What ever you choose to do, wish you the best.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 09:02:55 PM by star-ray »

Afortunado

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019, 10:58:46 AM »

Afortunado,

Doing both legs at the same time is safe and more reasonable in my opinion. You save money, time, and should one leg have an issue over the other leg; you won't risk being out of balance, since you have this knowledge while lengthening both legs and are able to stop the process....   CLL is becoming more main stream and the common practice is both legs at the same time.

Also, Precise is quickly becoming older technology. Is there any reason why you are not going with Stryde nail? You are up and walking almost close to normal in 4-5 months with Stryde. Precise could be 7 - 9+ Months; not to mention that you cannot put weight on the legs for nearly 4 months....  Higher risk of nail breakage as well during the actual process which is a catastrophic event for any patient to endure and can set you back a year or more.

What are your thoughts?

Hello InFullStryde!
I've been reading your diary religiously for the past few months! Super happy for you!!
Before I go into the topic, when i say Precice I refer to Stryde. I thought it was called Precice Stryde, as oppose to Precice 2.2..

I'm seeing the professor again in a couple of weeks, but during my last appointment he was persistently against doing both femurs at the same time. Mobility is super important for healing and while I acknowledge the advantage of Stryde in supporting full body weight there's still the issue of balance, muscle atrophy & osteoporosis, pain & long term use of pain meds, duck ass (which I remember from your posts lol), wheelchair maneuvering in an apartment, etc.

On another note, I'd still be able to work normally walking with crutches and one fully functional leg at all times.

I know you've pretty much completed your journey, but looking back at the tough times, do you think there would've been advantages in having one fully functional leg throughout?

:)

Afortunado

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2019, 11:23:29 AM »

For me, the only reason why i did one leg at a time, i wouldn't he able to afford the surgery if I had quit my job, which I would have had to if I did both legs b. I didn't do one leg for any medical reasons.

I did my left leg 24th july, been working remotely this week and will be back in office this Monday (on crutches ofc but wouldn't be able to do this on a wheel chair).

However, Yea the overall time spent is double.  I am using fitbone, i didn't put my full weight on my first (right) leg until after 2ish months when my lengthening was done. One advantage of one leg is that you are walking / exercising that operated leg more as you can put partial weight and literally after 3 months it was well recovered and I was walking alot. But its was only one leg completed so it was like FFS u have to do this again lol.

I don't know how fitbone varies from precise,  but I know stryde is becoming very popular and the guy who commented above is a perfect example on why :) read his diary, very inspirational and informative.

Hey Star-ray,

Great to hear from you! I'd love to hear more about your experience, so I'm going back and reading your diary now and I will come back with a ton of questions! :)
Congrats on your second surgery! Praying for you

Afortunado

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2019, 08:28:23 AM »

Morning star-ray,
I have read your diary and seen the videos of you walking on crutches. It made me a lot more confident in my decision.

- I see a lot of comments here saying that it could get "too painful to work". Was this the case with you?
- Roughly what was the average distance you walked on crutches in a day?
- Any discomfort while travelling (turbulence?)

best,
Afortunado

star-ray

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2019, 12:28:18 PM »

Hey Afortunado,

Work-wise:  I wasn't affected at all. when I did my first leg, I took Paracetamol for the 5 weeks at night only before bed, so I got my full sleep. During the workday, with few cups of coffee ( i love my coffee), I was working as normal and lol you forget you are even doing LL and find it crazy how you are, and no one around you knows. Then eventually, I think it was week 6, I wasn't even taking paracetamol before bed.
Work was a great distraction for me and going to work forced me to get up and be productive and walk which is important for consolidation.  Being able to go work, and working at a high level was the only reason I did one leg.

Travelling wise, for the first leg, when i booked my flight,I requested assistance, so soon i checked in, I was wheel-chaired pretty much the whole time.  they take you through all the priority lane, skip all ques and lol I did feel awkward and pride made me feel embarrassed but it was necessary. This time, I didn't need the wheelchair, but still informed them I was on crutches and this allowed me to use different que for security clearance and not use the stairs on the plane.

when I did my first leg: walking wise, the first month, maybe up to 0.5K with crutches, following month I increased a lot! Then soon as the lengthening stopped, the very next week I was walking long distance no crutches.

Now that i am doing my second leg, very different progress, as it feels much easier and only took those 7 days off for work when i was in hospital, did few days remotely and as i mentioned above, going into the office tomorrow (18 days since i did surgery).

My mistakes:
-My weight, I was 14 stone when i started and didn't do any upper body training before the surgery.

However, i did adapt, the upper body did become much stronger, and the non-operated leg became super strong. but I would strongly recommend be light as possible, and have good upper body strength, resistance training where you are using your body weight as oppose to bench press. This will make being on crutches much easier. Walk much as possible once you done the surgery where you are using the operated leg,this will help alot with consolidation.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 12:50:19 PM by star-ray »
Pages: [1]   Go Up