Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Dr Augustin Betz (Neunkirchen, Germany) The Betz Institute  (Read 136644 times)

galaxy1

Re: Dr Augustin Betz (Neunkirchen, Germany) The Betz Institute
« Reply #93 on: September 22, 2014, 04:17:17 PM »

Okay once again, ones question on the reliability of the HYDROLIC Nail can be answered by asking DR SARIN himself. Now how difficult can this be?

Your questions could be something like what I have below:

1) Exacty what is the total number of HYDROLIC Nail patients have you had in your entire career?

2) Okay, now what is the precise total who had a nail brake on them at some point? And it doesn't matter
    right now how the nail broke or who is at fault, I just want the information on the precise number of
    patients who had a nail that broke at some point while still in their leg.

SARINS ANSWER IS 100% OF PATIENTS ALL RECOVERED 100% TO HEALTHY. FEW HAD COMPLICATIONS THAT WERE FIXED AND ALL PEOPLES ARE HAPPY NOW FOREVER......................

WHEN OUR STATS DONT MATCH DR SARINS STATMENT WE CALL BULL s**t ON WHAT THE DOCTOR TELLS US.

doctors lie.

I'm sure doctors do lie all the time and you should take what they say with a grain of salt. But I'm sure records are on file somewhere whenever there is a scheduled surgery to remove a broken nail. That likely doesn't apply to India however. Of course there will be patients with broken nails who flee and never return to Germany, something to keep in mind.

One strange thing that doesn't make sense is we never hear a peep from the people who's nails have broke on them. For Christ sake we have people selling their homes and everything they own to have this surgery. Help your fellow man here.

coppkillr

« Reply #94 on: September 22, 2014, 04:57:50 PM »

And What doctor do you suggest?
banned for blatantly lying that "pro betz diaries are deleted and Blocked often."    wrong,  Pro-Betz diaries are not deleted or blocked here, ever.

coppkillr

« Reply #95 on: September 26, 2014, 03:48:59 PM »

I have read all diaries on old forum  of betz. IT seems all are doing well. I Still dont get why here you warn for going with betz.
banned for blatantly lying that "pro betz diaries are deleted and Blocked often."    wrong,  Pro-Betz diaries are not deleted or blocked here, ever.

GROWtalORdieTRYING1

« Reply #96 on: September 26, 2014, 04:23:54 PM »

hey coppkillr.

I don't know who that question is aimed at.

but if its for me, I don't really care who a person chooses. so I don't recommend anyone. im just making a statistical analysis for a nail. im not even making an assessment on the doctor, just his nail.

so again, I don't really recommend or care who someone chooses.

coppkillr

« Reply #97 on: September 26, 2014, 04:52:48 PM »

Ok. But also i cant See the problems of the betznail. I cannot find ppl complaining.

GROWtalORdieTRYING1

« Reply #98 on: September 26, 2014, 05:57:15 PM »

well I see many people complaining. not sure why you cant.

hanshi

« Reply #99 on: September 27, 2014, 08:12:59 PM »

The discussion should focus more on the information that is available. We can easily estimate the number of CLL patients of doctor Betz:
Under the "doctors that i do recommend for leg lengthening" section are answers from Dr.Betz on several questions:
Quote from: Sysop
Here are the responses from Dr. Betz, updating his information with 2012 pricing and details.

1. How many patients have been treated by you for Cosmetic Leg Lengthening?
Over 450 cosmetic limb lengthening procedures with internal devices.
In 2012 the number was 450. How many are there now, 2 years later?
15. Is there any other information that you would like to have included?
Prof. Dr. Betz is the most experienced limb lengthening surgeon in the world with internal devices and is a pioneer that has invented the most technological advanced telescopic nail. Cosmetic limb lengthening is a routine procedure for Prof. Dr. Betz in which he performs approx. 5-7 procedures per month.
Since there are 5-7 new patients per month the current number of cosmetic patients is around 600. We can also see how big this business for Dr. Betz is. 600 patients means roughly 30 million Euro turnover which is around 40 million US$. Since he is the manufacturer of the nail himself his profit margin is very high. Anyway, let's continue our investigation.

Since we know the total number of patients we can easily make an error calculation on our statistic above http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=132.msg16324#msg16324
with the hypergeometric distribution.
The result is:
The complication rate for all of doctor Betz patients is
higher than 30%  with a probability of 99.7%
higher than 40%  with a probability of 89%

This clearly settles the dispute about whether or not the sample is big enough. Our gettingtaller troll has lost the battle.

What does Dr. Betz say about his complication rate?
8. In what percentage of cases do your patients experience complications?
a. Major complications - 0% (Fatty embolism, paralysis, nerve damage, deformity, loss of function)

b. Broken screw - 1-2 % (Results from a fall or excess pressure). This can be changed in an outpatient procedure.

c. Bent nail - 1-2 % (Results from an accident and can be removed and replaced with a titanium nail).

d. Infection - 0%

e. Non union - 1-2 % (only in medical indications in lower leg)
This is probably also what he is telling prospective patients during his consultation. Please notice that there is no mentioning of 'maximum weight bearing'.So we have proof that Dr.Betz is a liar.

I have found some more interesting facts which i will write about later.  Stay tuned.

There are currently several lawsuits from former patients against Dr. Betz going on. If you or somebody you know is a former patient of Dr. Betz who would like to initiate legal action against him please send me a personal message.
I can help with lots of information on how to go about this.

MAN-OF-STEEL

• It's not an S
« Reply #100 on: October 31, 2014, 10:34:24 AM »

The discussion should focus more on the information that is available. We can easily estimate the number of CLL patients of doctor Betz:
Under the "doctors that i do recommend for leg lengthening" section are answers from Dr.Betz on several questions:In 2012 the number was 450. How many are there now, 2 years later?Since there are 5-7 new patients per month the current number of cosmetic patients is around 600. We can also see how big this business for Dr. Betz is. 600 patients means roughly 30 million Euro turnover which is around 40 million US$. Since he is the manufacturer of the nail himself his profit margin is very high. Anyway, let's continue our investigation.

Since we know the total number of patients we can easily make an error calculation on our statistic above http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=132.msg16324#msg16324
with the hypergeometric distribution.
The result is:
The complication rate for all of doctor Betz patients is
higher than 30%  with a probability of 99.7%
higher than 40%  with a probability of 89%

This clearly settles the dispute about whether or not the sample is big enough. Our gettingtaller troll has lost the battle.

What does Dr. Betz say about his complication rate?This is probably also what he is telling prospective patients during his consultation. Please notice that there is no mentioning of 'maximum weight bearing'.So we have proof that Dr.Betz is a liar.

I have found some more interesting facts which i will write about later.  Stay tuned.

Ok what else did you find?

AtlasSearching

• Visitor
« Reply #101 on: November 01, 2014, 05:54:11 AM »

Unlike the vast majority of the comments on this thread, my point of view is based on my actual experience lengthening 10.5cm with Dr.Betz. I had my nails removed during the second week of October, on the same day as OldieButGoldie who has a diary here.

Generally, I think forums such as this one are great, but they also tend to be afflicted by a phenomenon known as 'arm chair' experts. If you have ever attended a bull fight, there is always row upon row of buLL Forumight critics, all of them giving their 'professional' opinion on bull fighting. Ultimately, the only folks who really know what its like to fight a bull, are those who get into the arena and fight the bull. Everyone is free to voice their opinion, but be wary of taking buLL Forumighting lessons from a spectator.

Before I voice my opinion about Dr. Betz, let me clarify a couple of things from first hand experience. Many of the points below have been previously elucidated by gettingtaller in this same thread, so to some extent I'm just rehashing the experience of someone else who has also spoken from first person experience.

• The vast majority of LL patients will not keep a diary. Many of them don't even know of LL forums or speak/write English. In the time that I spent in Germany for the initial surgery, I knew more than a dozen patients and only two of them started diaries (Torontian & DCLongFemurs). Both of them stopped posting to their diaries even though they did go on to complete LL successfully. When I went back to get my nails removed, I met 9 patients at the hospital, (2 for nail removal the rest for nail insertions), and only one (OldButGoldie) had a diary.
  • Many of the LL patients I met, myself included, did not want to disclose the LL procedure to friends or even familiy. I wager that many of the visitors to this forum who are thinking of getting LL also have the same sentiment i.e. get the procedure done quietly, recover and get back to life. Of the 80+ patients each year who get the surgery done with Dr.Betz, most do just that i.e. put on your game face, wrestle the bull that is LL, recover, go on with your life and enjoy your new height. Many people are attracted to Internal LL because of the possibility of doing the process discreetly i.e. no external fixators & you can walk without crutches faster than the alternatives, so it should come as no supprise that many of them don't want to advertise the fact they are doing LL, even in an anonymous forums such as this. 
  • The diaries and shared experiences of those who have gone through LL is a great resource for those others who are considering the procedure. However, most of the folks who have done LL will tell you that it's a frustrating experience trying to convey realistic expectations to prospective LL'ers. Between the folks who think they know it all based on what they have read and those who want to hear their assumptions validated, however unrealistic they might be, many LL'ers opt to steer clear of posting in the forums. Believe me, when you are in the 2nd or 3rd month of lengthening, the last thing you want to spend your time doing is banter with an 'arm chair' LL expert. And once you are done with LL, most people want to forget about the experience and move on with their lives.
  • The stats posted above about the complication rate for Dr.Betz are just plain moronic to the verge of being criminal. There are 38 diaries spanning the period beginning 2007. During that period, approximately 600 patients have done LL with Dr.Betz. How daft would someone have to be, to conclude that for the ~600 patients, you'll take 12 dairies that mention complications, and resolve that the complication rate for Dr.Betz is between 36% and 52%.  With that kind of proficiency in math, one ought to consider asking for a refund from whoever taught them math. 12 out of 600 is 2% and even that cannot be considered a valid figure because the vast majority of LL patients don't patronize LL forums or care to maintain a diary. During the time that I stayed in Germany for the initial procedure and then subsequently for the removal, I met at least 20 patients personally. Out of these, there was one guy who fell in the bathroom and bent his nail such that it had to be replaced with a titanium fixator. Then there was another who was well on his way with LL but decided to go back to his construction job and not use crutches. He broke the screws on one leg which resulted in a fracture and he had to get titaniums and stop lengthening since you can't continue LL with a fractured bone. So that is 1% of the patients who I knew personally, but even I would be foolish to take that as a representative sample and use it to postulate what the complication rate for Dr.Betz is.
  • Since 2007 there have been Betz patients who have used LON, ISKD, Fitbone, Albizia, Precice, BetzBone, etc. all of which have different performance profiles. Some like the Fitbone had a notoriously high failure rate due to the electrical mechanism failing, and hence methods like Fitbone are no longer used, even though Fitbone spared patients the tribulation of clicking. The point is, if your going to analyze complication rates, you have to consider the method used.
  • It's never wise to tempt fate, least of all, when you have two broken bones in your legs being held together by screws. The 13mm BetzBone will comfortably hold the weight of a 240lb guy. But the same does not apply to the screws that attach the nail to your bones, and that is where most structural failures occur. This means that if mother nature gave you bones that are on the brittle side, then use the damn crutches until you have achieved consolidation, even if you have a nail that can bear your whole weight. This also means that as the weeks and months drag on and you are eager to stop using the crutches, you have to be judicious about when to walk without crutches. Most of the instances of broken screws & bent nails have occurred after the lengthening period and prior to consolidation. So regardless of which doctor you use, if you over exert the nails & screws, there's a good chance you'll end up back in the OR to get titaniums.

I did my LL surgery with Betz in August of 2012, and went from 173.5cm to 184cm on the 13mm BetzBone. Based on my starting height, LL for me was obviously for cosmetic reasons and  with a gain of 10.5cms, I did more than most patients do on a single section. The passage of time since when I finished lengthening in December 2012 has somewhat obscured how difficult the lengthening was, particularly towards the end of the process. But what is apparent even to this day is that the process was 20% Betz,  30% Physiotherapist and 50% me.  Let me explain.

• Surgery is trivial. They roll you into the OR. You fall asleep. You wake up 3-4 hours later. The nails are in. Betz plays a big role here.
  • You spend the first week in the hospital, getting used to walking around on crutches with two broken legs. Betz comes in to check on you every day, but its mostly the nurses, therapist and other LL patients that interact with you. 
  • On the second week, you start clicking. Betz will help with this but many patients start clicking on their own or with one of Betz's assistants. Some patients have a hard time with the initial clicking which necessicates more involvement from Betz.
  • After the second week, you leave the hospital and go to a residence of your choosing. From this point onwards, Betz will continue to visit as well as his assistants, but most of the therapy is from the physio therapist.
  • Once confortable with clicking, many patients leave Germany and go back home. I left after one month and continued to lengthen for 2 more months at home. During this period, you take xrays every month and send them to Betz to make sure that the nail and screws are still fine. But mainly you continue with your physio 4-5 times a week.
  • After lengthening, the consolidation period begins and the length of this depends on how much lengthening you did as well as how quickly your bone consolidates. You continue to take xrays every month and send them to Betz and you also keep up with physio. As your legs get stronger and you get more bone consolidation, you are able to stop using the crutches gradually. Unfortunately, some patients get too confident with their stronger legs and assume that they can get back to doing all sorts of activities, and the resulting over-exertion causes the screws or nail to bend.

What I'm trying to illustrate above is that in the typical 3 month LL duration, the doctor will play a pivotal role in the first 2 weeks, then it'll be up to you to be disciplined and follow instructions for the remaining 10 weeks. Most patients do so successfully but it requires discipline & dedication. In this particular respect, Guichet is different in that he insists that most of his patients stay in Milan for the entire lenthening period. This approach has its merits since most patients have difficulties staying focused and doing what they need to do for the entire LL period.

Before I decided to go with Betz, I interviewed with both Guichet & Betz and found both of them to be very capable. However, I was not keen on doing LL in such a big city as Milan, so I opted for the quiet German country side. I'm from the US, so both places would have been foreign and with foreign languages, neither of which I knew. Prior to the surgery, I actually did the Isometric training that Guichet requires although Betz said he didn't think it was necessary in my case.

As a doctor, I think Dr.Betz is as good as they come, and the vast majority of this patients, even those who have had complications will probably share the same sentiment. Aside from his command of the surgical procedure, I don't know many doctors who will physically carry you to the toilet when you are unable to walk (tibia patients can't walk at all during the first 5 days after surgery), call hotels, physical therapist and massage therapist and personally make reservations for you, drive half an hour out of his way so that he can visit you at your hotel,  or sit with you until all your questions are answered. The one downside I will mention is that he runs such a busy schedule so if you do go for an interview, you'll probably be waiting for an hour or so, but once you get in, he'll stay with you until you run out of questions.

Having said that, my advice is that if you are considering Dr.Betz, then at the very least vist both Betz and Guichet and then make your choice. In both cases, insist that you be allowed to visit some of their current patients, particularly the ones who are already clicking. I say this because the patients who are 1-2 weeks after surgery are in too good shape to convey the real nature of LL. Best to see patients who've been clicking for a while. You don't know LL until you've been clicking for a while. If you can, visit Peter Woll in Wadern and ask to observe one of the therapy sessions. Ultimately, it would be fool hardy to choose a doctor based on what you read on these forums. If you're gonna expend that much money, pain, sweat and tears doing LL, you owe it to yourself to observe first hand what its all about.

I'm 6.05ft tall now and for the rest of my life I'll be thankful to Dr.Betz for making that possible, althought like I said above, 50% was me struggling to keep going. If I woke up and found myself at 173cm, I'd go back to Betz. I am also sure that other doctors such as Guichet, Paley, etc are also capable, but I can only speak from my personal experience.

173.5cm to 184 cm with Dr. Betz in 2012
13mm BetzBone
Nail removal in October 2014

ShortyMcShort

« Reply #102 on: November 01, 2014, 10:38:20 AM »

I stopped reading when you said you lengthened 10.5cm....  ???
Definitely went to Betz...

Yikes

« Reply #103 on: November 01, 2014, 02:07:39 PM »

Unlike the vast majority of the comments on this thread, my point of view is based on my actual experience lengthening 10.5cm with Dr.Betz. I had my nails removed during the second week of October, on the same day as OldieButGoldie who has a diary here.

Generally, I think forums such as this one are great, but they also tend to be afflicted by a phenomenon known as 'arm chair' experts. If you have ever attended a bull fight, there is always row upon row of buLL Forumight critics, all of them giving their 'professional' opinion on bull fighting. Ultimately, the only folks who really know what its like to fight a bull, are those who get into the arena and fight the bull. Everyone is free to voice their opinion, but be wary of taking buLL Forumighting lessons from a spectator.

That's the problem with this forum. It's full of people who didn't have LL but think they know everything better than someone who actually did LL or even worse, they think they know better than LL-doctors. So just ignore this people, most of them have other, more serious problems than height...

MAN-OF-STEEL

• It's not an S
« Reply #104 on: November 01, 2014, 07:27:26 PM »

Thanks AtlasSearching....that was well written

hanshi

« Reply #105 on: November 01, 2014, 08:57:41 PM »

So it took them more than 1 month before they dared to attack me again. And with such lame lies!
In the time that I spent in Germany for the initial surgery, I knew more than a dozen patients and only two of them started diaries (Torontian & DCLongFemurs). Both of them stopped posting to their diaries even though they did go on to complete LL successfully.
Torontonian had his surgery in 2010 and DCLongFemurs had his in 2012. It must have been difficult to meet them at the same time when they started their diaries.

It's really fascinating how any sockpuppet can claim to be a patient and make massive advertising for doctors. This is like on Amazon where some authors write positive reviews of their books.

Anyhow, i don't want to waste my time with trolls and continue with my findings about Dr.Betz.

There are some interesting examples of Dr. Betz's behaviour which show dishonesty, negligence and sloppyness towards his patients.
Here one of them: Geheimes had a nail which stopped clicking in his left leg.
Quote from: Geheimes
1. What happened to my left leg:

My left leg stopped making clicking sound and also the clicking feeling stopped 1.december 2008. I was told that this was "normal", and that I should keep on clicking both my legs as usual. I was also told to take a x-ray of my legs about mid december and send this to Dr.Betz via e-mail so that he could confirm if there was something wrong or not.

I did so, and got a answer 19th of december from Dr.Betz telling me everything was fine, and that I did not need to worry.

About 31st of December, when I was in the shower, I noticed that my right leg was much longer then the left leg. I had been watching my legs since 1.december, but it was not so easy to tell. Even my physiotherapist could not determin by looking if this was the case. But 31st, was 1 month = 2cm since I had last clicked my left leg. This was now obvius.

I did travel to Dr.Betz 6th of December, and meet with him. We took x-ray and he tried to click me. His judgement was clear:  PRE-BONE CONSOLIDATION!!

My left leg had extreme fast bone-consolidation compared to right leg. And now it was to late...1 month of consolidation...he could not just click it with force.

Then :
About my left leg...remember I said Dr.Betz would first try to do Anesthetic Clicking? Well he actually made it! He managed to brake the Bone consolidation even after so long time, but he had to Operate me because the Nail was broken on the inside. Since I had kept on clicking (trying to click), I had actually destroyed the nail from the inside. If I had come back to germany right away, then the nail would not have had to be taken out.

Dr.Betz took the nail out and fixed the nail, then put it back in.
Dr. Betz blamed the premature consolidation on the fact that Geheimes clicked only 10times per day after he reached 2cm(he got this advice from "Tall" on old forum ). His Pre-consolidation happened at 7.5cm.
I guess I could have made a deal about the fact that non discovered my fast bone consolidation, but I kinda took the hint and the hint was "you did not listen to us, but took some advice from a forum". Actually, it was no hint, he said it straight to my face Smiley This means that from his point of view, this is my fault and not his. If I had done 15 clicks this would not have happened. But if I had done 15 clicks and it still would have happened, then I would have made a big deal about it. Because believe it or not, if I had done 15 clicks, and I still would have had bone consolidation, I still would have had to pay for the hospital and all even though I was not to blame.
So despite the fact that Dr.Betz did not react when he was told about the clicking problem he blamed everything on the patient due to him not clicking fast enough. Fact is that the nail was defect, but this also was blamed on the patient. However, it is more plausible to assume that the defect nail caused the premature consolidation than vice-versa.

But here comes the proof that Dr.Betz was intentionally lying to the patient:
In MasterHY's diary we find the following:

Quote from: MasterHY
31 days post op:

I dropped the clicking rate from 15 per day to 10.  Had a long talk with Dr. Betz, and he advised that in the beginning it is necessary to do 15 clicks to prepare the soft tissue for stretching, but that afterwards it is very much recommended to click at a lower rate, maybe 10-12.  He mentioned that the overall recovery will be much better as well as minimizing loss of function, with 10 clicks than with 15, since the soft tissue has more time to adapt.  I have witnessed some people with severe loss of function and walking ability, they are just plowing through to finish clicking, but paying little attention to physical exercise, stretching, and good form. 

Dr. Betz gave an example and said that normally in children, it takes approximately 2 years to grow somewhere between 8-10 centimeters, and we are speeding up that process tremendously by distracting the nail.  Thus logically the body will adapt and handle 10 clicks much better than 15 clicks. 

My pain from clicking has gone down tremendously by clicking at a lower rate.  I know lots of times people are very anxious to get through the clicking phase, but at what cost to the body?  So it makes more sense to be a little more patient and have better recovery and less pain. 

So here clearly Dr.Betz gives the advice to MasterHY to do only 10 clicks per day, which before he said was the reason for nail damage and premature consolidation.

Maybe one cannot choose a doctor only on basis of a forum. However one can clearly decide which doctor not to choose.  Why go to a doctor who lies to his patients?

As an add-on here a quote from OldieButGoldie who is a genuine patient and a good guy:
Quote from: OldieButGoldie
I am not posting this to promote Dr. Betz since I know of the many patients of his who are having complications.

I can give more examples.

There are currently several lawsuits from former patients against Dr. Betz going on. If you or somebody you know is a former patient of Dr. Betz who would like to initiate legal action against him please send me a personal message.
I can help with lots of information on how to go about this.

AtlasSearching

• Visitor
« Reply #106 on: November 02, 2014, 04:50:47 AM »

Hanshi, it is because of pretenders such as yourself that most actual LL'er don't bother to post to this forums. Trying to argue with a pretender has the same efficacy as arguing with a door stop.

Since in your own words you believe in OldieButGoldie, you can PM him and ask him about the patient who had his nails removed before he did. I went in at 8am and OldieButGoldie was next after me. The day before surgery, OldieButGoldie and I had discussed driving together to Warden to visit Peter Woll since we had both done physio with him.

As for the diaries, Torontonian had his nails put in in 2010 and two years later in 2012 came back to have them removed. DCLongFemurs had his nails put in in 2012. Point is, they both stopped posting to the forums but went on to complete their LL successfully. I still keep in touch with DcLongFemurs and he'd probably be tickled silly to know that I'm on the forums bantering with the same brand of arm chair expert that had plagued his diary.

Do not flatter yourself by thinking that my response was an attempt on attack you. Having never done the procedure, your opinions are vacuous. I'd give credence to anyone who has actually gone through the crucible, whether it turned out well for them or not. Like I mentioned in my earlier post, I personally know 2 patients who broke their nails while I was in Germany, so its not like I'm looking back through rose colored glasses. I did however, take particular exception at your earlier pathetic attempt at math. If that's you bringing your mental faculties to bear, lets just say that that dog doesn't hunt.

Given that your opinions are devoid of any actual experience, how about you do the next best thing and ask the people whose words you are distorting to speak for themselves? Lets hear more from the actual LL'ers for a change. Given that there's 3-7 patients going through Betz every week, surely you can find some actual patients to buttress your otherwise vacuous claims?

The topic at hand is not some subjective exercise to channel made up speculations. You either have the chops or you don't. You either have done LL or you haven't. Its pathologically presumptuous to give testament on an experience you have never gone through or pretend to speak on the behalf of those who have. Picking off passages from other peoples diaries does not give you standing. As the saying goes, the devil will cite scripture if it suits his purpose. More likely, you're a hack working in collusion with one of the competing doctors to skim off some of the patients that would otherwise go to Betz. Yeah, you have been called out.

Like I said before, I speak from my own experience and don't begrudge those others who speak from their own experiences whether good or bad. But I'm loathe to entertain the fabrications of a pretender.
13mm BetzBone

Greek-Semidget

« Reply #107 on: November 02, 2014, 09:31:30 AM »

Hanshi, it is because of pretenders such as yourself that most actual LL'er don't bother to post to this forums. Trying to argue with a pretender has the same efficacy as arguing with a door stop.

Since in your own words you believe in OldieButGoldie, you can PM him and ask him about the patient who had his nails removed before he did. I went in at 8am and OldieButGoldie was next after me. The day before surgery, OldieButGoldie and I had discussed driving together to Warden to visit Peter Woll since we had both done physio with him.

As for the diaries, Torontonian had his nails put in in 2010 and two years later in 2012 came back to have them removed. DCLongFemurs had his nails put in in 2012. Point is, they both stopped posting to the forums but went on to complete their LL successfully. I still keep in touch with DcLongFemurs and he'd probably be tickled silly to know that I'm on the forums bantering with the same brand of arm chair expert that had plagued his diary.

Do not flatter yourself by thinking that my response was an attempt on attack you. Having never done the procedure, your opinions are vacuous. I'd give credence to anyone who has actually gone through the crucible, whether it turned out well for them or not. Like I mentioned in my earlier post, I personally know 2 patients who broke their nails while I was in Germany, so its not like I'm looking back through rose colored glasses. I did however, take particular exception at your earlier pathetic attempt at math. If that's you bringing your mental faculties to bear, lets just say that that dog doesn't hunt.

Given that your opinions are devoid of any actual experience, how about you do the next best thing and ask the people whose words you are distorting to speak for themselves? Lets hear more from the actual LL'ers for a change. Given that there's 3-7 patients going through Betz every week, surely you can find some actual patients to buttress your otherwise vacuous claims?

The topic at hand is not some subjective exercise to channel made up speculations. You either have the chops or you don't. You either have done LL or you haven't. Its pathologically presumptuous to give testament on an experience you have never gone through or pretend to speak on the behalf of those who have. Picking off passages from other peoples diaries does not give you standing. As the saying goes, the devil will cite scripture if it suits his purpose. More likely, you're a hack working in collusion with one of the competing doctors to skim off some of the patients that would otherwise go to Betz. Yeah, you have been called out.

Like I said before, I speak from my own experience and don't begrudge those others who speak from their own experiences whether good or bad. But I'm loathe to entertain the fabrications of a pretender.
How are your proportions,walking and sitting after all that lengthening?
Current height 5'8 Future height: 5'11 . 3 inch gain tibias in Russia.

AtlasSearching

• Visitor
« Reply #108 on: November 02, 2014, 09:57:21 AM »

How are your proportions,walking and sitting after all that lengthening?

Greek-Semidget,  I'll take a pic of my legs and post under the Height & Proportions section so a not to hijack the topic of this thread.
13mm BetzBone

AtlasSearching

• Visitor
« Reply #109 on: November 03, 2014, 05:01:25 AM »

Greek-Semidget,  I'll take a pic of my legs and post under the Height & Proportions section so a not to hijack the topic of this thread.

I have posted a reply to your questions under Example proportions after LL
13mm BetzBone

mistermystery82

• Visitor
« Reply #110 on: November 13, 2014, 05:27:51 AM »

Interesting aside: Wang Bei/Ronne, the international patient liason in Beijing for Dr. Xia, claimed that Dr. Betz had shut down operations because he kept making mistakes. Naturally, lies to slander the competition.

Metanoia

« Reply #111 on: November 15, 2014, 10:47:21 AM »

The biggest liar is still Dr.Betz himself. Patients with complications get to know his real face. He is a genuinely evil person and i can only warn people. Dr.Betz exposes his patients to more risk than most other doctors. He seems very friendly during consultation( for which he takes 400 Euro but doesn't even examine you. All you get is an x-ray, a photoshop mock-up and a sales pitch) but this is only his advertizing masquerade. Once you run into trouble you will find out he was lying to you.
His complication rates are indeed as high as shown by hanshi. I got similar figures (30-40%for femur patients and much higher for tibia) from different independant sources, all people who work with his patients.
How about his skills? Difficult to judge for a patient but there are 2 indicators which show that his skills are below average:
1. his high complication rate.
2. all other doctors do things completely differently(preparation, bone cutting, screw fixation, weight bearing, lenghtening amount, medication,etc) Therefore either Betz is correct or Guichet and Paley are correct. In view of Dr.Betz's high complication rates it is rather easy to give an answer to that.

With Dr. Betz it is well possible to get a worst case outcome, i.e. being crippled for life and not even reaching your lengthening goal after paying all that money. By the way, he is an old man and no longer at the height of his abilities. For his age he is doing too many surgeries(regular surgeries plus emergency surgeries for his complication cases). The fact that he overestimates his capabilities increases the risk for his patients. His team too is very weak. Interestingly, Nader who wrote here is assisting him during his surgeries. However Nader is only a medical student.

As for the treatment of Dr.Betz, after his patients leave the hospital there is practically no treatment. The patients are more or less on their own and there is hardly any follow-up by Dr.Betz. The patient could be dead and Dr. Betz wouldn't notice. Also there is no planning for emergency cases. There have been several times when patients had their nail broken that they couldn't reach Dr. Betz by phone. His assistants don't know what to do in that case either. Dr. Betz hardly ever takes precautions to ensure his patients safety. He will always tell the patient not to worry. I'm telling you, with Leg Lengthening you should be worried! And if a doctor tells you otherwise you can be sure it's unsafe with him.

AtlasSearching

• Visitor
« Reply #112 on: November 16, 2014, 10:44:41 PM »

Interesting aside: Wang Bei/Ronne, the international patient liason in Beijing for Dr. Xia, claimed that Dr. Betz had shut down operations because he kept making mistakes. Naturally, lies to slander the competition.

Yeah, there's a couple of characters on here whose primary goal is to slander the competition in the hopes of driving patients away from the competition. In the case of Dr.Betz,  its the classic scenario of the underdogs nipping at the heels of the top dog to try and get a piece of the action. They would be much better served by trying to up their game and provide some legit competition rather than mud slinging. Unfortunately though, its seems that for these detractors, its much easier to try to drag someone else into the mud rather than clean up their act.
13mm BetzBone

AtlasSearching

• Visitor
« Reply #113 on: November 17, 2014, 01:44:50 AM »

His complication rates are indeed as high as shown by hanshi. I got similar figures (30-40%for femur patients and much higher for tibia) from different independant sources, all people who work with his patients.

Pray do tell, who are these so called "different independant sources" you are referring to? For all we know, you could be taking counsel from little green men. The figures posted above by Hanshi are basically a heaping helping of BS and even he did not bother to back them up after his pathetic attempt at math was exposed. So how about you put on your arithmetic hat and show us how you arrived at "30-40% for femur patients and much higher for tibia". In this endeavor, do not be afraid to brandish your most advanced command of statistics for fear that we will not comprehend it. You might be on to something here, but more likely it'll be a realization that you are not as good at math as you thought you were.

With Dr. Betz it is well possible to get a worst case outcome, i.e. being crippled for life and not even reaching your lengthening goal after paying all that money.

Well damn, you just paraphrased the concept of a Gaussian distribution in a novel albeit crass manner. Read on it a bit. With any doctor, its possible to get a worst case outcome or a best case outcome. That's not news. If you're claiming to know the actual percentage occurrence of either, do regale us with the factual data, not annecdotes that might as well be coming from little green men.

By the way, he is an old man and no longer at the height of his abilities. For his age he is doing too many surgeries(regular surgeries plus emergency surgeries for his complication cases). The fact that he overestimates his capabilities increases the risk for his patients. His team too is very weak. Interestingly, Nader who wrote here is assisting him during his surgeries. However Nader is only a medical student.

Say, do you know his actual age or this is another piece of information from the little green men? Secondly, what, in your "professional" opinion, is the ideal number of surgeries he should be doing at his age? How did you come to posses such intimate knowledge about his abilities so much so that you find yourself in a position to declare that he is no longer at the height of his abilities? Generally speaking, a rational person will go with the more experienced practioner as opposed to the upstart, particularly if that upstarts way of gaining clientele is by trying to slander the experienced practitioner.

Now personally, I leaned on Dr.Betz the day after my first surgery and we walked the length of the hospital hall together with no crutches. Didn't notice him struggling to support my 175lb frame. Neither did I notice him having any issues when he lifted up my roommate from the bed to a wheelchair. 

As for the treatment of Dr.Betz, after his patients leave the hospital there is practically no treatment. The patients are more or less on their own and there is hardly any follow-up by Dr.Betz. The patient could be dead and Dr. Betz wouldn't notice. Also there is no planning for emergency cases. There have been several times when patients had their nail broken that they couldn't reach Dr. Betz by phone. His assistants don't know what to do in that case either. Dr. Betz hardly ever takes precautions to ensure his patients safety. He will always tell the patient not to worry. I'm telling you, with Leg Lengthening you should be worried! And if a doctor tells you otherwise you can be sure it's unsafe with him.

Again, do enlighten us, what treatment are you referring to after leaving hospital? I left hospital after 2 weeks and continued to lengthen for another 2.5 months, and so did the more than dozen other patients who I knew during my lengthening, most of whom left Germany after the first month. Every day you take your meds, do physio, do clicking, repeat. What is this mysterious ailment that would need treatment for 3+ months or are you referring to the statistically unavoidable cases that end up with a broken nail or some other complication? There were 2 of such cases during my lengthening period so they do occur, but like hell are you going to imply that all patients need to be under treatment for 3+ months because 1-2% get broken nails or some other complications.

I also call BS on your declaration that "with Leg Lengthening you should be worried". That's utter nonsense and fear mongering. With Leg Lengthening you should be careful and observant. Myself and the vast majority of my peers did just that and are none the worse for wear after completing LL. Within that mix there will invariably be some who get a complication due to no fault of their own as well as the knuckleheads who test the limits and end up with broken nails and all sorts of other complications. You reap what you sow.

Finally, if you're going to make assertions, back it up with actually experience and facts as opposed to quoting bogus sources. You either put up the facts to back your assertions or shut up. You are entitled to your own opinions not your own facts, so expect to be called out if you try to potray your opinions as facts. I've clocked in excess of two years going through LL first hand, and I don't have the inclination to countenance charlatans who think they know a whole bunch about LL because, well, they googled it.

Ultimately, you are not fooling anyone. The only mystery that remain is which of the underdog doctors you are working with to try to scalp clients from Betz.
13mm BetzBone

Cannibal

« Reply #114 on: November 17, 2014, 02:03:55 AM »

Well now we know who Atlas is working for :D
A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti.

AtlasSearching

• Visitor
« Reply #115 on: November 17, 2014, 02:27:43 AM »

Well now we know who Atlas is working for :D

All my posts include a footer that clearly indicates that I did LL with Betz in 2012, so it's not liked you've chanced upon some late breaking news. Secondly, I did my LL in 2012, well before this forum even came into existence, so its not like I decided to do LL 2 years ago in order to "work" for Betz on a forum that did not as yet exist. Unfortunately for me, I don't get visited by little green men to relay that sort of time travel information to me. Until I did my removal surgery in October 2014, I didn't know about the existence of this forum but I knew about the old forum. So, Cannibal, your point is?
13mm BetzBone

Cannibal

« Reply #116 on: November 17, 2014, 02:37:24 AM »

All my posts include a footer that clearly indicates that I did LL with Betz in 2012, so it's not liked you've chanced upon some late breaking news. Secondly, I did my LL in 2012, well before this forum even came into existence, so its not like I decided to do LL 2 years ago in order to "work" for Betz on a forum that did not as yet exist. Unfortunately for me, I don't get visited by little green men to relay that sort of time travel information to me. Until I did my removal surgery in October 2014, I didn't know about the existence of this forum but I knew about the old forum. So, Cannibal, your point is? Or did you just feel the need to run your mouth?

Any criticism directed toward Dr. Betz seems to hit a little too close to home as far as you're concerned is all I'm saying.

Mime is a former Betz patient as well. What makes your thoughts on Betz anymore legit than his?
A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti.

AtlasSearching

• Visitor
« Reply #117 on: November 17, 2014, 03:09:46 AM »

Any criticism directed toward Dr. Betz seems to hit a little too close to home as far as you're concerned is all I'm saying.

Mime is a former Betz patient as well. What makes your thoughts on Betz anymore legit than his?

I don't have any issues at all with anyone voicing criticism of Dr.Betz or any other doctor. Hell, I've indicated in some of my posts that I personally know of patients who broke their nails, so I'm not sugar coating his track record. I do have issues with anyone who makes some assertions and doesn't back them up with data or facts. I'm not going to give a pass to anyone who says "30-40%" but can't show how they arrived at that figure. Neither am I going to give a pass to someone whose sources are mythical "different independant sources".

If someone steps up with an assertion that is backed up by verifiable facts/data, then I'll say Amen to that. That kind of information will stand on its own two feet by the nature of its own veracity, not someones subjective opinion. Where I come from, you don't pee on someone and tell them that its raining. That's basically what some guys on here are doing when they throw around some random figures and expect to get a free pass.

If I come across as being exacting, its because I have first hand experience with LL. I don't begrudge Mime or anyone else saying that they had a bad experience with Dr.Betz,  nor should anyone else come to a conclusion based on my experience, but if anyone if going to start throwing around figures, they'd better be ready to show how they came around to them.

Of the more than 600 patients that have gone through Betz, my relevance is at most 0.167% and so is that of Mime. So if Mime is going to make a claim concerning 30-40% of patients, he'd better show us who these 180 to 240 patients are and how he came to know of their experiences. But if he is speaking of his own personal experience which amounts to 0.167% as does mine, then I say, by all means proceed sir.
13mm BetzBone

ShortyMcShort

« Reply #118 on: November 17, 2014, 05:03:27 AM »

Fact is no one here including yourself Atlas is actually giving any facts, just pure subjective opinions. Why? Because until Dr Betz actually shows any of us actual numbers and records of patients, its all he said, she said. You say 600 patients, based on what? Word of mouth from Dr Betz? He could say 10,000 patients and you'd still believe him. No doctor will ever release these sort of information to patients, you're naive if you think otherwise

He probably did 600, no one here knows, only he knows. And I do agree that not all of his so called 600 patients write diaries but the ones who did, do provide some insight on their experiences. 30-40% is not a definitive answer and I highly doubt anyone on here including Atlas will have a definitive answer. So take it with a grain of salt and make your decisions carefully.

Me personally I dont care since I wont be going to Dr Betz, not because of his alleged complication rates but simply because he is/was affiliated with Sysop/Apo/Andersen or w/e else pseudonyms he's going with these days. Just that alone is enough for me to think that Dr Betz is more of a businessman than a caring doctor. And no I dont have pure facts or numbers to back that statement up. Anyone affiliated with Sysop is just as bad. And because I prefer Precice and not having to click

Metanoia

« Reply #119 on: November 22, 2014, 12:08:17 PM »

Hanshi's math is correct. Nobody can prove it wrong. This Atlas guy has no arguments against it but is just trolling.

Dr. Betz is 63 years old.

MAN-OF-STEEL

• It's not an S
« Reply #120 on: November 24, 2014, 04:32:37 PM »

The whole issue is subjective. Let's be honest here, some have even had complications with the almighty revered Dr. Guichet!!!
ANY method and ANY doctor may carry the risk of complications at one point or another- Why? Because if you haven't noticed, we live in an imperfect world as imperfect people.

At the end of the day, each one makes their own decision based on what they believe is good for them. Take the good with the bad and thread a personal path on this. No need to to try slander, bicker, argue over things that are defined by angles of varied experiences.

AtlasSearching

• Visitor
« Reply #121 on: November 26, 2014, 11:26:56 PM »

He probably did 600, no one here knows, only he knows. And I do agree that not all of his so called 600 patients write diaries but the ones who did, do provide some insight on their experiences. 30-40% is not a definitive answer and I highly doubt anyone on here including Atlas will have a definitive answer. So take it with a grain of salt and make your decisions carefully.

I most definitely don't provide any definitive answers. I can talk definitively only in regard to my own experience doing LL. I will, however, liberally call out anyone who tries to make generalizations that purport to speak on the behalf of other people. Having done LL, the one constant that I found is that everyone's experience is different. In the postings that I have made about my LL experience such as this one, I clearly indicate that my experience should not be taken as a recommendation on how much to lengthen, which LL method to use, etc. I'm simply stating how things went for me. Anyone considering LL should invariably take what they read on the internet with a grain of salt. Forums provide some insight, but it's still best to consult with a couple of doctors, talk to their patients one on one & see the facilities for yourself.

Hanshi's math is correct. Nobody can prove it wrong. This Atlas guy has no arguments against it but is just trolling.

What Hanshi did is juju not math. In that regard, it is as correct as juju could possibly be correct. We are in agreement though, that nobody can prove juju wrong. For someone who has never done LL, Hanshi seems to know a whole lot about it so evidently, the juju is very strong with him.

As for me trolling, it takes one to know one, umm, Mime. You seem to be carrying a gigantic chip on your shoulder, the aftermath, I am guessing, of your LL not turning out well. As I've said before, everyone is free to voice their opinions and preferences, but it's puerile to throw a tantrum because someone did not have the same experience as you did.

13mm BetzBone

Metanoia

« Reply #122 on: November 29, 2014, 11:18:26 AM »

The whole issue is subjective. Let's be honest here, some have even had complications with the almighty revered Dr. Guichet!!!
ANY method and ANY doctor may carry the risk of complications at one point or another- Why? Because if you haven't noticed, we live in an imperfect world as imperfect people.

At the end of the day, each one makes their own decision based on what they believe is good for them. Take the good with the bad and thread a personal path on this. No need to to try slander, bicker, argue over things that are defined by angles of varied experiences.
You are missing the point. The point is that it is less safe to go with Betz and that he cannot be trusted.

Metanoia

« Reply #123 on: November 29, 2014, 11:46:47 AM »

What Hanshi did is juju not math. In that regard, it is as correct as juju could possibly be correct. We are in agreement though, that nobody can prove juju wrong. For someone who has never done LL, Hanshi seems to know a whole lot about it so evidently, the juju is very strong with him.
As can be seen again this Atlas guy doesn't have any arguments. It's just hot air.
He is claiming to be a patient, but hasn't given any proof that he is. Dr.Betz is making millions with cosmetic LL therefore it is easy for him to hire someone to write on this forum.
Interestingly neither Betz nor his assistant write here anymore although they could easily answer directly. The reason is simple:
They cannot answer the critical questions asked before and they cannot claim their complication rate is lower. Instead they resort in sending trolls here.
Dr. Betz is not trustworthy and has a lot of criminal energy. People who want to go with him should think twice. There is hardly any patient protection under German law and you will be fully at the mercy of Dr. Betz. Complications can happen with any doctor, but the worst thing is when you get a complication and find out that you cannot trust your doctor. That's exactly what happens with Dr. Betz patients. So be warned.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up