Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone doing LL with Guichet in the next few months?  (Read 15662 times)

YellowSpike

Anyone doing LL with Guichet in the next few months?
« on: September 30, 2014, 12:25:28 PM »

I was originally gonna do Precice 2 femurs, but I'd rather not be confined to a wheelchair for (seemingly) a thousand years. Guichet offers the only full weight-bearing device, and his patients seem to recovery extremely fast. I mean, I could do 6.5cm in around 6 weeks (God willing), and then be (at the very least) walking on crutches right after, if not walking unaided.

The only sucky part is having to do it in Europe away from my family and friends. Is anyone doing LL with Guichet soon? It would be awesome if a few of us could go to Milan together and try to help each other out. Fellow (self-inflicted) cripples stick together! lol  ;D

Overdozer

Re: Anyone doing LL with Guichet in the next few months?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 12:39:17 PM »

6.5cm in around 6 weeks
You'll need at least 10 weeks for 6.5 cm.

if not walking unaided.
You'll not want to walk right after distraction phase for the sake of safety, you'll need some time for consolidation to start walking unaided.
Pre-surgery - 167 cm, Post-surgery - 181 cm
Final arm span - 177 cm, Sitting height - 90 cm

Lengthened 7.5 cm in tibias and femurs and 3.5 cm in each humerus. Surgeries performed all external by Dr. Kulesh, in Saint-Petersburg, Russia - http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=1671.0

YellowSpike

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 12:42:11 PM »

You'll need at least 10 weeks for 6.5 cm.

I don't think so. Guichet wrote me and said that, even with an extra month of pre-op training in Milan, I'd only need to be there 2.5 months. So if we take away that month of pre-op training (which I don't think I need, as I already have very muscular legs and am flexible), it's only 6 weeks. Guichet seems to be able to give many patients around 5cm in about a month, so I don't see why 6.5cm would take that much longer.

But I'm sure it varies from person to person. Overall, I want to avoid a wheelchair and I want to be walking unaided (if I'm wobbly) asap.

TRS

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 01:14:51 PM »

Overall, I want to avoid a wheelchair and I want to be walking unaided (if I'm wobbly) asap.
If you weight below 70 kg, then you will not be confined to a wheelchair throughout distraction with the PRECICE2 nail. But you will need aid to walk which can be physically and mentally demanding. Over time it becomes very annoying and I can see the reason why many people opt for the Gnail because of its weight bearing ability during walking.
I believe that Dr.Guichet's pre-op training will benefit you especially stretching. From experience, I still have not experienced any nerve pain and major muscle pain/tightness at 6.5-7cm and the reason is likely due to my intense pre-op stretching. Yoga does stretch the nerves.
Anyways, if you do have time and resources to go to Milan and have surgery with Guichet, go for it!

YellowSpike

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 01:22:02 PM »

If you weight below 70 kg, then you will not be confined to a wheelchair throughout distraction with the PRECICE2 nail. But you will need aid to walk which can be physically and mentally demanding. Over time it becomes very annoying and I can see the reason why many people opt for the Gnail because of its weight bearing ability during walking.
I believe that Dr.Guichet's pre-op training will benefit you especially stretching. From experience, I still have not experienced any nerve pain and major muscle pain/tightness at 6.5-7cm and the reason is likely due to my intense pre-op stretching. Yoga does stretch the nerves.
Anyways, if you do have time and resources to go to Milan and have surgery with Guichet, go for it!

Well, I weigh about 75kg so I definitely am not weight bearing at all for Precice. Even if I lost weight and then was technically able to weight bear, I'd be terrified of breaking the nails. As a result, I don't think I'd even let myself walk with crutches purely out of fear. And the idea of being in a wheelchair I've decided just isn't for me I don't think.

I'd say I'm pretty flexible now, but I intend to keep improving. My thighs and calves are naturally very muscular (another reason I've hated being short my whole life). I have no problem at all doing the basic stretches (palms to ground with legs straight, feet to butt either standing or lying on stomach, head to knees when sitting with legs apart, etc.). Does anyone have any routines I can do to keep challenging myself in improving my flexibility?

Overdozer

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 01:22:33 PM »

I don't think so.
...You'll need to lengthen at the rate of 1.5mm/day to reach 6.5 cm in 6 weeks. Usual rate is 1mm/day and is often slower than that. Just be realistic.

likely due to my intense pre-op stretching
I've never done any pre-op stretching and never had any ballerina or knee straighting problems or serious pain. Even more likely that pre-op training is a complete nonsense crap.
Pre-surgery - 167 cm, Post-surgery - 181 cm
Final arm span - 177 cm, Sitting height - 90 cm

Lengthened 7.5 cm in tibias and femurs and 3.5 cm in each humerus. Surgeries performed all external by Dr. Kulesh, in Saint-Petersburg, Russia - http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=1671.0

YellowSpike

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 01:28:37 PM »

...You'll need to lengthen at the rate of 1.5mm/day to reach 6.5 cm in 6 weeks. Usual rate is 1mm/day and is often slower than that. Just be realistic.

I agree that it sounds intense, but Dr. Guichet's patient seem to end up at 5cm just around the one month point. Even if it takes 7 weeks or whatever, Dr. Guichet seems to be ok with me leaving Milano after around 6 weeks depending on how things are going at that point.

TRS

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 01:37:55 PM »

Even more likely that pre-op training is a complete nonsense crap.
Unfortunately there is no other way to convince Dr.Guichet to lock the Gnail.

ReadRothbard

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 02:08:22 PM »

I plan on doing lengthening with Dr. Guichet relatively soon (next year or so), but unless I run into a decent amount of cash within the next few months, I don't plan on lengthening with him yet.
“If you're afraid - don't do it, - if you're doing it - don't be afraid!” ― Genghis Khan

172 cm in the morning (67.8"); 170 cm (67”) at night; Sitting Height: 96 cm (37.8”); Goal: 184.5 cm (6'0.7"); Ultimate Goal: 192 cm (6’3.5) morning height, 190 cm (6’3) “night” height
Future space tycoon

YellowSpike

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 02:26:50 PM »

I plan on doing lengthening with Dr. Guichet relatively soon (next year or so), but unless I run into a decent amount of cash within the next few months, I don't plan on lengthening with him yet.

Cool man. I'll be in touch with you. I'll probably end up doing LL before you, but we can still be in touch. Guichet wants me to get a Cybex testing...he said this may save me a month in Milan. Right now I'm filling out all of his paperwork and have to have the therapist who cleared me for this send him that too.

I'm hoping I can somehow do this for around 60K-65K tops...that will still leave me with just enough cash (don't want to touch my 401K) to look into buying a house in the next year or two.

sadboy

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 03:36:50 PM »

Cool man. I'll be in touch with you. I'll probably end up doing LL before you, but we can still be in touch. Guichet wants me to get a Cybex testing...he said this may save me a month in Milan. Right now I'm filling out all of his paperwork and have to have the therapist who cleared me for this send him that too.

I'm hoping I can somehow do this for around 60K-65K tops...that will still leave me with just enough cash (don't want to touch my 401K) to look into buying a house in the next year or two.

I am planning on lengthening with Dr. Guichet next year as well. I sent him a message today for him to arrange me a date for a consultation in October since he is only available for consultations only in October for now.

ReadRothbard

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2014, 03:46:38 PM »

If you send Dr. Guichet your payment 11 months in advance, then I believe you could probably get away with under 60k (barely). Otherwise, you are probably looking at 65k. 
“If you're afraid - don't do it, - if you're doing it - don't be afraid!” ― Genghis Khan

172 cm in the morning (67.8"); 170 cm (67”) at night; Sitting Height: 96 cm (37.8”); Goal: 184.5 cm (6'0.7"); Ultimate Goal: 192 cm (6’3.5) morning height, 190 cm (6’3) “night” height
Future space tycoon

YellowSpike

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 04:59:02 PM »

Does anyone know where I can get a Cybex test done in or around NYC? Dr. Guichet wants me to do this and then forward him the results of the test (since I told him I only want to be in Milan for 6 weeks). I just don't know of any Cybex testing facilities in the area. I've looked online and just can't find anything as of yet.

YellowSpike

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2014, 05:14:28 PM »

never mind, I found one right near where I work lol

Shortie

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2014, 09:22:36 PM »

I would like to know how much its gonna cost you after everything

ReadRothbard

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2014, 12:07:22 AM »

It'll probably cost you about $70,000-$75,000 when all is said and done. You could probably get away with about $65,000 is you rent an apartment and don't go out much in Milan.

Future space tycoon

MAN-OF-STEEL

• It's not an S
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2014, 04:20:50 AM »

I'm currently "negotiating" with Guichet to avoid the whole isokinetic centre. I've seen many patients doing so much training beforehand and it seemed like it didn't help all that much for the actual surgery. Training after the surgery is a different story however

alps

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2014, 07:48:41 AM »

It'll probably cost you about $70,000-$75,000 when all is said and done. You could probably get away with about $65,000 is you rent an apartment and don't go out much in Milan.
Actually? Leechlet said it costed him ~85k..

What's the break-up please?

YellowSpike

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2014, 12:45:11 PM »

Actually? Leechlet said it costed him ~85k..

What's the break-up please?

I think if you convert what ShyShy said was his grand total to USD, it comes to about $70K. But I believe ShyShy was in Milan longer and did the isokinetic center for 2 months. 

However, I'm only planning on being in Milan for 6 weeks, and I'm also going to try and only do the isokinetic center for one month. I figure if I'm only doing the isokinetic center for one month, only renting a modest apartment for 6 weeks (possibly less, but probably 6 weeks), and don't go out much, I'm hoping I can somehow squeeze under $65K. To me, for a doctor of Guichet's caliber (and getting to avoid being in a wheelchair/recovering faster), I think that's worth it.

Since I've also consulted with Dr. Rozbruch, I'm going to try and send Dr. Guichet all of that information to try and somewho lower the pre-testing/x-ray costs (my insurance paid for most of those already).

ReadRothbard

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2014, 04:08:53 PM »

Honestly, in my personal opinion, Dr. Guichet is probably the best lengthening doctor alive today--except maybe for Dr. Paley. Your money would be very well spent with him.

Future space tycoon

YellowSpike

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2014, 04:14:08 PM »

Honestly, in my personal opinion, Dr. Guichet is probably the best lengthening doctor alive today--except maybe for Dr. Paley. Your money would be very well spent with him.

I agree. I think the best three (in no particular order) are Dr. Guichet, Dr. Rozbruch, and Dr. Paley. There are other fantastic doctors outside of these three, but these are the cream of the crop in my opinion.

Moubgf

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2014, 04:20:35 PM »

These people are also take 40% of the profit straight into their pockets..For a surgery that takes aprox 2 hours to complete. They are voltoures that feed on the desperation of men. The surgery could be done for 2000 USD. If it wasnt glamourised by the doctors and fear mongers.

They are expensive because they are in a good hospital not because they in themselves are magnificent doctors. And also the method they use. If it was not for these 2 things.

Rest is up to luck and general habit.

YellowSpike

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2014, 04:58:16 PM »

I generally agree that there's not necessarily a correlation between price and quality (this is true in many other services/products outside of LL), but I would rather know that I'm being taken care of by a highly experienced doctor in a reputable hospital.

Look at Dr. Betz - he's not cheap (I think he charges around what Guichet charges), but how many stories have we heard about bent nails from him? Not a bad doctor, but with something like LL (considering the risks and the money), I'd rather go to someone with a (virtually) impeccable reputation like Guichet/Rozbruch/Paley.

MAN-OF-STEEL

• It's not an S
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2014, 04:02:18 PM »

I'm just wondering if Guichet still uses those long screws that many patients said it hurt like hell

ReadRothbard

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2014, 07:33:03 PM »

I have no idea if he still does. That would probably be something you'd have to ask him through email; I don't think that would be on his site.

Future space tycoon

Morgenst.

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2014, 02:47:51 AM »

I don't know if this has been asked thousand times by now I would expect so but I haven't found anything so take mercy if my questions ignorant. Is anybody able to go to these doctors without having all the funds available? Has anyone gotten any type of cosmetic loans or otherwise? What's out there as far as financing surgery by these docs

ReadRothbard

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2014, 04:14:48 AM »

I think you would just go to your local bank for fianancial. I'd have as much money as I could upfront, though.

Future space tycoon

YellowSpike

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2014, 12:56:03 PM »

Guichet has said I should budget for around $80K USD, but that's including an extra month of training at the isokinetic center, and he told me he's also being conservative regarding living costs while in Milan. Sigh...maybe I can do it for $70K if I'm cheap in every other possible way. I plan to leave my retirement savings untouched, but this is like more than one third of my cash savings. Not cool. Wonder if I should pay half in cash, and the get a loan for the other half...

I just wish to God there was a quality doctor who had a weight-bearing internal solution for $60K (all in) or less. As much as I want the surgery, I'm also not a kid like some of you guys (< 25 years old) and I'm looking to buy a house in the next few years.

I guess as a guy, I feel pressure not only to be "not short" but also to have money. I feel like life is so much easier for women (as long as they're not fat) lol. As long as I'm physically and emotionally attracted to a woman, I don't judge her for her money, height, status, etc.

endomorphisme

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2014, 01:17:06 PM »

the french health care system is one of the best in the world, and guichet is a very skilled doctor, as a french i prefer doing limb lenghtening with him, even if you have to do a lot of sacrifices

antoky

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2014, 01:21:06 PM »

Hi, guys,

I am to be operated the 4th of December by dr. Guichet, in Milan: I have done all the exams but the biologics (i.e. blood test, dentist, anesthesiologist evaluation): I am Italian and I will start a diary about my upcoming experience. I am a sports medicine doctor, 45 y.o in March 2015, 176,5-177 cm, weighing 71 Kg.

I will reside at Desuite Hotel, in an apartment of 30 meters squared, from the 1st of December till the 10th of January (if all goes well): I am going for 4,8-5 cm (max 35 days of lenghtening), being this a compromise between my wanting to be taller and my job-needs and my aim to recover as fully as possible (being an athlete myself).

Maybe I should already start my diary?...or is it too early?

Cheers.
"Be the change you want to see in the world" (Gandhi)

GROWtalORdieTRYING1

« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2014, 01:28:06 PM »

antoky:
I don't understand how much you want to lengthen.

and how did you come to that value.. it seems a little precise to be honest.

are you saying 4.8cm to 5cm? why not just shoot for 5cm? there wont be any difference.

ps. when you start your diary is up to you. but I personally believe that a diary should not be started more than 4 weeks before your surgery and journey.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up