Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How accurate is sitting height for measuring upper body length?  (Read 8727 times)

Wannabegiant

How accurate is sitting height for measuring upper body length?
« on: January 22, 2014, 08:43:37 PM »

Imo sitting height doesnt seem to be indicative of the actual torso length, some people get higher sitting heights because they either have a wider pelvis bone (wider from a horisontal perspective, when you sit down, the pelvis bone turns 90 degrees along with the legs, so the wider it is, the further it pushes the upper body up from the ground) or more fat/muscle on their behind.

the most accurate way to measure upper body height seem to be from the tail bone and up to the top of the head. What do you guys think?, i still see most people mentioning sitting height and obviously it kind of sucks having a short sitting height (i have 89 cm) but that doesnt tell the whole story about how you will look standing up after LL.

Wannabegiant

Re: How accurate is sitting height for measuring upper body length?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 09:02:06 PM »

Alright i just got back after measuring how high up my tail bone was against a wall, the distance from my feet to the tail bone is 98 cm.

Im 175 cm tall so subtract the 98 cm from that makes my torso/upper body height 77 cm. My sitting height was 89 cm so that means my hip (ischium) bone/butt adds 12 cm to my sitting height.

Surely that extra height gained from the butt must vary quite alot between individuals, especially considering tall people usually have thicker bone structure than shorter people. bulky guys tend to have taller sitting height compared to skinny guys of the same total height in my experience.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 09:05:14 PM by Wannabegiant »

Smallguy

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 04:49:32 AM »

I agree. Sitting height is not indicative of torso length.

If you have more fats on the bottom of your butt, this tend to increase your sitting height as well. That's why fat ppl tend to have a higher sitting height than skinny ppl.

There were three noticeable ppl in my old department and we all have lunch together. There was my boss - she was a morbidly overweight woman, my coworker who was suffering from some ailment which caused him to be anorexic and there was me. We all stood up closely around the same height. My boss was naturally 5'11, my coworker 5'10 and me 5'10.5 (5'9+nike shoes). But when we sat down together, my boss was noticeably towering over us. Well, she was towering over me obviously because my starting height was only 5'6. But my was sitting even higher than my coworker. So I guess he must have lost a lot of sitting height through his anorexic condition.

If you want our opinion on your proportion, feel free to post a pic of your full body with your head blurred.
I live in the American Gardens Building on W. 81st Street on the 11th floor. My name is Patrick Bateman. I'm 27 years old. I believe in taking care of myself and a balanced diet and rigorous exercise routine.

Wannabegiant

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 11:46:22 AM »

I agree. Sitting height is not indicative of torso length.

If you have more fats on the bottom of your butt, this tend to increase your sitting height as well. That's why fat ppl tend to have a higher sitting height than skinny ppl.

There were three noticeable ppl in my old department and we all have lunch together. There was my boss - she was a morbidly overweight woman, my coworker who was suffering from some ailment which caused him to be anorexic and there was me. We all stood up closely around the same height. My boss was naturally 5'11, my coworker 5'10 and me 5'10.5 (5'9+nike shoes). But when we sat down together, my boss was noticeably towering over us. Well, she was towering over me obviously because my starting height was only 5'6. But my was sitting even higher than my coworker. So I guess he must have lost a lot of sitting height through his anorexic condition.

If you want our opinion on your proportion, feel free to post a pic of your full body with your head blurred.

thanks for the input, if you dont mind, could you measure the same way i did so i can compare? i mean you and I have pretty similar sitting heights so it would give me a good idea how long/short my torso is for my total height.

I might put up some pictures eventually, but im pretty sure i will be well within the limits for normal proportions, as i have seen many people who looks to have longer legs in proportion to their upper body compared to me even after taken the LL into account.

What i usually do is stand on my toes (ive measured that this gives me around 4 cm of height) and i still look proportional. However i feel some times like my legs are really long already (especially when im sitting on the floor with my legs laying straight in front of me) so im afraid they will feel really clumsy and long after im done with LL. Maybe i have this feeling because im kind of skinny, not sure.

Smallguy

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 12:41:10 AM »

thanks for the input, if you dont mind, could you measure the same way i did so i can compare? i mean you and I have pretty similar sitting heights so it would give me a good idea how long/short my torso is for my total height.

I might put up some pictures eventually, but im pretty sure i will be well within the limits for normal proportions, as i have seen many people who looks to have longer legs in proportion to their upper body compared to me even after taken the LL into account.

What i usually do is stand on my toes (ive measured that this gives me around 4 cm of height) and i still look proportional. However i feel some times like my legs are really long already (especially when im sitting on the floor with my legs laying straight in front of me) so im afraid they will feel really clumsy and long after im done with LL. Maybe i have this feeling because im kind of skinny, not sure.

Okay, I measured myself. The tip of my pelvis bone to the bottom of my feet is 102cm (flat feet). I'm standing at 176 as of now (flat hair). My spine must have compressed from lifting all those weights this morning at the gym. So that means my upper body is 74cm (176-102). As I'm already wearing 1.5 inches platform (nike shoes + .5 inch insole), I don't mind gaining another 3 inches. At that time, I will be wearing Mephisto flat shoes. 1.5 inches will be for the shoes and 1.5inches will be for the vanity :)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 12:48:48 AM by Smallguy »
I live in the American Gardens Building on W. 81st Street on the 11th floor. My name is Patrick Bateman. I'm 27 years old. I believe in taking care of myself and a balanced diet and rigorous exercise routine.

Wannabegiant

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 09:33:26 AM »

Okay, I measured myself. The tip of my pelvis bone to the bottom of my feet is 102cm (flat feet). I'm standing at 176 as of now (flat hair). My spine must have compressed from lifting all those weights this morning at the gym. So that means my upper body is 74cm (176-102). As I'm already wearing 1.5 inches platform (nike shoes + .5 inch insole), I don't mind gaining another 3 inches. At that time, I will be wearing Mephisto flat shoes. 1.5 inches will be for the shoes and 1.5inches will be for the vanity :)

alright awesome, then when im done with LL i will look pretty similar in proportion to you in your current state, and in your video you had good proportions ;D thanks im not that worried any more.

Personally i wouldnt dare go for any more height after im 5'10 (179 cm) both because of proportion and functionality, but im impressed that you are going for more inches, hope you recover 100% eventually.

onedayillgrow

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 04:50:05 PM »

Hi everyone, i guess this question should be asked in a body building forum but it's worth a go posting it here especially since most people on this forum have read up on so much.. Ammm, is there any way to increase torso length like does Yoga/Pilates/hanging straighten the torso? I hear that it's possible to lengthen your torso by at least an inch but i'm just wondering if any one knows any specific exercises or methods to use? :)

Thank you in advance.

TRS

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 02:26:29 AM »

Hi everyone, i guess this question should be asked in a body building forum but it's worth a go posting it here especially since most people on this forum have read up on so much.. Ammm, is there any way to increase torso length like does Yoga/Pilates/hanging straighten the torso? I hear that it's possible to lengthen your torso by at least an inch but i'm just wondering if any one knows any specific exercises or methods to use? :)

Thank you in advance.

If you have bad posture then you can gain about an inch of height through posture correcting exercises. Otherwise, if you have correct posture then yoga may add about 1-1.5 cm by lengthening your spine. In order to retain your added height, you must continue stretching everyday.

onedayillgrow

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 05:08:43 PM »

Well i'm currently 164 cm but i used to weigh a very big 220 pounds (99 kilos) and i'm gradually losing it through cardio at the gym and balanced diet. I've brought it down to about 194 lb (88 kilos) and i'm hoping to continue this trend till i'm about 65-75 kilograms. But because of my excessive tummy fat i had terrible posture and i guess i have hope of gaining at least 2-4 cm through a straighter spine and stretching. I think i can make time for stretching everyday so hopefully i'll be 166-168 cm :D

Thankyou.
Pages: [1]   Go Up