Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dr. Debiparshad Las Vegas Limbplastx Journal (Precise 2.2 femur)  (Read 2437 times)

jerrytheman

Made a journal before, but just wanted to consolidate it now that I'm at 52mm and lost the password to my old account.

Me
I'm a 26 y/o techie from the Bay Area with flexible work from home option. I am 5'8.5 (174cm) prior to the surgery with the goal of gaining 8 cm on the femur to 5'11.65(182cm) 155 pounds. I had a breakup late last year so I'm in this period of my life where I have no commitments. Made it a great time to work on myself. While I'm not "short", this is all relative to the shoes YOU are in. If I have a chance to better myself, I'm going to. I have no regrets so far.

Doctor Choice
Money is not an issue in my personal life and this surgery cost me practically nothing overall, but that doesn't mean I'm going to throw money away for the same end result so I did factor in the cost. Femur is an obvious choice if you're only intending on doing one surgery. Three doctors I considered were
- Dr D (Las Vegas)
- Dr Assagya (Baltimore)
- Dr. M (LA)
Honestly, it's not that hard of a surgery. Speaking specifically for internal femur, any of the famous US doctors that does this will have pretty much all the same surgical result, and that includes Paley. If anything, it's the aftercare that might be different. Dr D and Dr A are both about $70k, while Dr. M is prob 10-20k more expensive. From SF, the east coast is a bit too annoying to get to, so that left me with Dr D. There's a lot of negative feeling towards him on here because he does a lot of TV shows or some will say "advertises". But he told me he really just wants to bring awareness of limb lengthening and change how the world sees people who undergoes it. He's a Harvard trained surgeon who primarily works on non cosmetic patients for spinal issues. Only 20% of his patients are CLL. I don't think there needs to be any doubts about his skillset.

Prior to Surgery
I drove 8 hours down to Vegas 5 days prior to the surgery and checked in to an Airbnb 20 mins away from the clinic. It was a large house with 3 bedrooms for only around $2k/mo, much cheaper than any hotel. It's also way larger so I have space to wheelchair around. I set up all the stuff I needed post surgery. Grocery shopped at Costco, and hit the strip club for my last good bye to my legs. Picked up meds and did bloodwork, and also had my in person consultation with the Doctor all in that week (while working not a single day off).

Surgery
Surgery day was Friday. The only day I took off from work. Arrived 5:30 am at the hospital. Surgery started around 8 am. Prob took 1-2 hours but I woke up at 12pm as was the first thing I remembered. They immediately wheeled me into my recovery room maybe 20 mins after I woke up. On that floor they set me up with everything I needed, nurses came with meds every now and then. Food was great, and just all a really good experience. They emptied my pee from my catheter use very often cause I chug water. The nurses on that floor deals with Dr. D's patients all the time so they know how to take care of you. The PT during the hospital stay also knows what to do, you start walking the day of surgery on a walker. Doctor came to check in on me once every day until I got discharged on Sunday. Yes, the first 2 days sucked and I wanted to leave that hospital so bad. IV in the arm for 48 hours isn't pleasant. Pain is more so a consistent discomfort, but it's never a 10. Like stubbing your toe will hurt more than any more of the surgery. Mostly because you're on pain killers, so take them. But this is a 2 day ordeal, it'll pass. And you wont even remember much of it since it's so quick. You're going to struggle on the 6-8 month journey of recovering, not the 2 day hospital stay.

0-10mm
This is the first week and a half. I did PT 3-4 times a week (included) for the first 3 weeks. No care taker EVER throughout my time, and it is 100% doable. I used a wheelchair primarily, and a walker in areas with steps or narrow doors (bathroom, garage for laundry). Food, I mainly microwaved. I cooked a few times for fun, like steak and veggies. Ramen was also something I did a lot. Bagel and PB&J almost every breakfast. Painkillers kept this part reasonable. You're also in the initial euphoria of lengthening and you're not too tired of it yet. I mean you're walking just a few days ago so this really isn't even that bad. Getting in and out of Ubers to go to PT was probably the hardest part of my day. Again, 0 days off from work, but I'll say my productivity wasn't that high. We have unlimited paid time off anyways, so I didn't really care if I really wanted time off from work. But my manager knew I just had surgery.

10-20mm
Not too much different from 0-10mm. Same routine, still in Vegas alone. Pain just gets less and less discomfortable, but nothing has changed. I had my first shower after the Doctor removed my bandages for my 2 week post surgery visit. I realized my lower right calf was partially loss of sensation. Not completely lost, but just felt very different. Doctor said that was normal, your saphenous nerve will be the main one that gets affected for femur lengthening. Doctor also cleared me to drive after 2 weeks post surgery. So I started driving myself to PT instead of Ubering.

20-30mm
My family flew down to Vegas. They stayed for the weekend then my mom and I drove back during the week after I did another doctors visit. Went out to eat a lot and just enjoyed being outdoors a bit after a long time. They didnt know I did the surgery until they got to Vegas. But back at home, with the support of my family, it's really not too much different. It's just there's people to help me deal with food and stuff. Which I think is helpful since I stopped using my wheelchair now that I'm back at home, so it makes things like cooking impossible. I only use my walker now. Doctor recommends that for faster bone healing. I also do PT entirely on my own back at home. The Bay Area PT is really expensive, like $100+/30 mins, and they don't know how to take care of a CLL patient. I bought massage tables, all the weights and resistance bands, bike, rowing machine, and have a lot more stuff than their clinics. I just stretch on my own 40 mins 3x a day and one 30 min strengthening exercise. Haven't had an issue so far on 52mm.

30-40mm
Probably the worst period. Nerve pains were terrible on my legs. Had 2-3 days where I barely got sleep. Doc got me on Gabapentin 300mg, starting from 3x/day but ramped up to 4x/day. It takes like 2 weeks for it to really help but it eventually helped. I slowed down to 0.75mm/day but that's not a big deal. It ends up being 2 weeks longer for lengthening, and it doesn't change the final consolidation day I'll be able to weight bear since bone will be forming at the same rate. But this period mentally sucks because you're not half way and you're just super tired of the whole journey.

40-50mm
Probably the easiest out of what I've done so far. Hitting the half way mark is a great mental barrier relief. Your stretches and exercise routine is integrated into your daily life. Sleeping/waking up sucks, but no pain throughout the day besides that. I use 5mg of Percocet when I sleep and 2.5 mg of Valium. I've had some muscle weirdness going on in my right leg, but doc said not to think too much of it right now, most likely tendons or muscle rubbing against the nail as it gets tight and lengthen. X-rays all looks good so just wait it out.

I'll do another update after I hit 80mm for the 50-80mm journey. And maybe another update after I consolidate to be able to weight bear. Overall, tough tough journey. But my finance and job makes it pretty easy to get through. I wake up 11am and do my first stretching and lengthening session usually. And then another one 4-5 hours later, and then another one 4-5 hours later. I have 5 more weeks left and already starting to count down the days.

People won't agree with a lot of my advice on not needing a care taker at ALL, or not going to PT and doing it yourself. But I can 100% tell you it works. I stretch myself better than any PT does and know all the exercises I need. It's not even the money, it's not worth the drive for me to go to someone who does a worse job than me. If you have accountability to do it yourself, you dont need one, if you dont have accountability, then you need one.

Feel free to ask questions, but please no stupid questions you can find on google or just stupid questions in general which doesnt take much logic to figure out what the answer is.

dontgototurkey

Re: Dr. Debiparshad Las Vegas Limbplastx Journal (Precise 2.2 femur)
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2023, 03:15:26 AM »

Dr. Debiparshad’s quadrilateral patient featured in the GQ Magazine article about CLL presents with valgus deformities post lengthening, according to the surgeon at Cedars Sinai who fixed my complications from lengthening overseas, fwiw

jerrytheman

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2023, 05:52:24 AM »

Dr. Debiparshad’s quadrilateral patient featured in the GQ Magazine article about CLL presents with valgus deformities post lengthening, according to the surgeon at Cedars Sinai who fixed my complications from lengthening overseas, fwiw

Yeah I'm aware, Paley spoke on that too, which was an extra screw he should have added which he didn't. This was quite a few years ago and he's done a lot of Tibia lengthening cases since then with no issues. But with that said, I'm still speaking purely on the femurs. Femur is just an easier surgery, and in general, comes with a lot less complications than that of the tibia. If you're not looking for over 3.15 inches, then just do the femur and call it a day.

akali

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2023, 07:53:48 AM »

You mean this one?
https://www.gq.com/story/leg-lengthening

GoaT

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2023, 08:32:55 AM »

Any update?

jerrytheman

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2023, 03:56:32 AM »

Had a complication. They saw a crack in the crown of my right rod. It is also shorter than my left rod by about 8mm. Had to do a surgery where the replaced the right rod with my left one. I think they covered everything except the hospital fee. I paid $1200 directly to the hospital, my insurance is high deductible so it doesnt cover anything until I go over $2500 on the year.

Currently doing 0.5mm/day on my left rod and 0.75mm/day on my right one so it can catch up. I think im about 40ish days from finishing distraction at this rate. But I should have a pretty quick consolidation phase because my distraction phase will take around 4 months.

user1396

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2023, 04:30:26 PM »

I'm sorry you had to go through this complication. Do you think this was caused by surgical error or just a defective rod? I am a little concerned with the results coming out of Vegas since that GQ article.

jerrytheman

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2023, 05:40:45 AM »

I'm sorry you had to go through this complication. Do you think this was caused by surgical error or just a defective rod? I am a little concerned with the results coming out of Vegas since that GQ article.

It's 100% defective rod. The break didnt happen until over a month after the surgery. I think any of the 5 famous US doctors will perform the same results for this surgery, at least on the femur. It's like a really easy surgery tbh, it's an hour long procedure for both legs. It's like asking 5 artists to draw the best stick figure in 10 seconds. You're not gonna get much of a difference.
But they replaced the rod for me, I'm pretty sure I only got charged for the hospital fees. I paid $1200.

Yau

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2023, 04:33:12 PM »

It's 100% defective rod. The break didnt happen until over a month after the surgery. I think any of the 5 famous US doctors will perform the same results for this surgery, at least on the femur. It's like a really easy surgery tbh, it's an hour long procedure for both legs. It's like asking 5 artists to draw the best stick figure in 10 seconds. You're not gonna get much of a difference.
But they replaced the rod for me, I'm pretty sure I only got charged for the hospital fees. I paid $1200.

After replaced one rod, how is your recovery and progress? Hope everything is going well!

..height...loading....

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2023, 12:34:09 AM »

any updates?

jerrytheman

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2023, 07:45:09 AM »

yes

jerrytheman

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2023, 07:03:47 PM »

Cleared for consolidation today. I last lengthened my left leg 1 week ago, and my right leg finished 2 days ago. Tightness disappears quickly after lengthening. I'm probably 25% consolidated on my left leg and 10% consolidated on my right leg.
Total distraction time is 4 months, due issue on my right leg.
Next x-ray in 5 weeks to see how consolidation goes. I'm aiming to be able to weight bear in early October if possible.

hippo60

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2023, 07:53:52 PM »

Congrats! What can you do for now? Walker / crutches?

jerrytheman

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2023, 08:26:49 PM »

Congrats! What can you do for now? Walker / crutches?

I can prob do forearm crutches, but since I don't have a PT I just use walker to move around. I do rowing, and stationary bike on my own a lot and some upper body exercises.
I mean I've seen 190 pound guys do crutches while they were still lengthening in my clinic, but that was with a PT beside him. So I'm sure my body can handle it if done correctly. But I think I'm just going to stay on walker and see how the x-ray is in 5 weeks. If it is like 50%+ consolidated, I'll likely move to crutches as my main walking aid and ditch the walker.

hippo60

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2023, 08:29:51 PM »

I can prob do forearm crutches, but since I don't have a PT I just use walker to move around. I do rowing, and stationary bike on my own a lot and some upper body exercises.
I mean I've seen 190 pound guys do crutches while they were still lengthening in my clinic, but that was with a PT beside him. So I'm sure my body can handle it if done correctly. But I think I'm just going to stay on walker and see how the x-ray is in 5 weeks. If it is like 50%+ consolidated, I'll likely move to crutches as my main walking aid and ditch the walker.

Got it. Moving to a walker is a big deal, hope you enjoy it!

jerrytheman

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2023, 08:43:22 PM »

Got it. Moving to a walker is a big deal, hope you enjoy it!

I've been on a walker since day 1 lol. I'm just waiting to move on from the walker to crutches. There is literally 0 reason for using a wheelchair beyond the first 2 weeks. Unless you're going to the airport or somewhere with a far walking distance

hippo60

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2023, 08:45:21 PM »

I've been on a walker since day 1 lol. I'm just waiting to move on from the walker to crutches. There is literally 0 reason for using a wheelchair beyond the first 2 weeks. Unless you're going to the airport or somewhere with a far walking distance

Right  :), so not sure I understand why you don't want to move to crutches. I guess if you're not in a rush then waiting a few more weeks isn't a big deal...

jerrytheman

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2023, 10:49:20 PM »

Right  :), so not sure I understand why you don't want to move to crutches. I guess if you're not in a rush then waiting a few more weeks isn't a big deal...

Cause I've never tried it. There's a correct way to do it so you dont offload more than 50% of your body weight. I dont have a PT beside me to help me out.

hippo60

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2023, 11:18:36 PM »

Cause I've never tried it. There's a correct way to do it so you dont offload more than 50% of your body weight. I dont have a PT beside me to help me out.

Have you been offloading more than 50% when using the walker?

jerrytheman

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2023, 11:28:24 PM »

Have you been offloading more than 50% when using the walker?

Nah I try not to. I'm 155 when I started surgery and now about 142. But anyone whose done the surgery know you cant stand 100% even on both of your legs, so there has definitely been split seconds where maybe one side of my body takes 75% of my weight or more. But overall, this is standard for PRECISE 2.2? Non weight bearing nail you dont want to offload more than 50% of your weight.

I mean what are these questions lol, I feel like these are basic ones thats not even worth asking.

hippo60

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2023, 11:30:32 PM »

Nah I try not to. I'm 155 when I started surgery and now about 142. But anyone whose done the surgery know you cant stand 100% even on both of your legs, so there has definitely been split seconds where maybe one side of my body takes 75% of my weight or more. But overall, this is standard for PRECISE 2.2? Non weight bearing nail you dont want to offload more than 50% of your weight.

I mean what are these questions lol, I feel like these are basic ones thats not even worth asking.

I just don't understand why you need to offload more than 50% with crutches but you don't with a walker. Since my "basic questions" are bothering you, I'll stop. Good luck!

jerrytheman

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2023, 11:59:38 PM »

I just don't understand why you need to offload more than 50% with crutches but you don't with a walker. Since my "basic questions" are bothering you, I'll stop. Good luck!

Bro I'm agreeing you DONT. And I can move on to crutches if I really wanted to. You can start using crutches even when you're lengthening and I've seen that with people who are 190 pounds. But you need to learn the CORRECT way to use the crutches and I don't have a physical therapist to be by my side and teach me. Hence I'm still using the walker which is a lot SAFER and EASIER. It will make a lot more sense when I can bear more weight and further consolidated to try the crutches on my own.

bruhh

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2023, 09:45:46 AM »

I have Precice 2.2 and I stand on both my legs all the time, albeit not for longer than 2-3 minute intervals (brushing teeth, taking x-rays, taking a shower) and have had no problems.

jerrytheman

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2023, 09:28:36 PM »

I have Precice 2.2 and I stand on both my legs all the time, albeit not for longer than 2-3 minute intervals (brushing teeth, taking x-rays, taking a shower) and have had no problems.

Yes dude you have 2 legs and standing on both of your legs isnt offloading more than 50% of your weight (minus some unintentional swaying). That's the same answer I gave.

Fiddlestick

• Visitor
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2023, 04:05:29 PM »

Thanks for sharing your journey.

Would you choose a weight bearing nail if it’s available?

jerrytheman

« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2023, 01:33:10 AM »

Thanks for sharing your journey.

Would you choose a weight bearing nail if it’s available?

of course

Beemer m3

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2024, 06:05:41 AM »

hey hows ur healing going? when did u start walking unassisted?
before 168cm current 173.5 cm
ilizarov tibia
sept 2023

goal 2025-26 precice max femur
Pages: [1]   Go Up