Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 24   Go Down

Author Topic: Dr Alex Monegal (Barcelona, Spain) Clinica Diagonal  (Read 293720 times)

TomD

• Private
Re: Dr Alex Monegal (Barcelona, Spain) Clinica Diagonal
« Reply #155 on: December 28, 2014, 03:28:06 PM »

7 cm + 7 cm on a single leg will be a tremendous feat I must admit, but if your set on 14 cm, then no harm aiming for it, it's not like it's set in stone.

Thank you for the encouragement Galaxy. I want to be stubborn but not stupid. Therefore I am prepared to go for 6cm each segment (12) and then is everything is fine go for the extra 1 cm each segment.

Who knows? I may end up only doing 5cm if my legs cant hack it. I would be disappointed if I only did 5 but could live with it.

galaxy1

« Reply #156 on: December 28, 2014, 03:46:27 PM »

Notes:

The Doctor sticks by his guns that doing the femur /tib one leg is viable but he wont do it for simple cosmetic procedures.  His goal is to talk us into doing the 4 segments in 4 different surgeries. However, he does prefer the femur/tib combo on one leg to bilateral surgery .

He conclusively puts to rest any concerns regarding lengthening, soft tissue wear and range of motion regarding the 1 leg procedure. Its too bad he insists on 1 segment only.  :-\

My goals do not allow for flying to Spain for 4 different surgeries so I am going to have to pass .  :)

Correct - he states single leg tib & femur is best suited for LLD (limb length discrepancy) patients, their physiology can handle single leg tib & femur method.

ForcedPuberty

« Reply #157 on: December 28, 2014, 04:10:08 PM »

I do not perform simultaneous femur and tibia as an elective treatment.

The Doctor sticks by his guns that doing the femur /tib one leg is viable but he wont do it for simple cosmetic procedures

I hope everyone can realize that dr monegals opinion and mine are the same in this regard...............

600 posts later.................

I have always said it is a valid procedure but not equal to traditional methods. in any case I guess those here will say I am wrong even when me and monegal express the same opinion.

thank you for clearing this up dr monegal. I wish you a good xmass.

Nope, 20cm is just nope.

"because FP's the hero LL Forum deserves, but not the one is needs right now. So we'll hunt him, because he can take it. because hes not the hero. He's a silent gardian, watchfull protector. The Dark Knight."

Dr Monegal

• Account Deactivated
« Reply #158 on: December 28, 2014, 04:23:08 PM »

Dear all

In the mail I sent to Tom I wrote:

My ideal of cosmetic is to perform 4 segments in 4 different procedures to stay safe, functional and proportioned. But of course there are 2 variables I cannot control: TIME and MONEY

Simultaneous femur and tibia is just an option which is valid and can be performed..

Every patient is particular. That s why I introduce the non-controled variables time and money.
Performing 4 procedures It always takes longer and It s more expensive particularly for patients coming from other countries. That s why I always try to agree with them their best option and the most suitable treatment for each one.
Account Deactivated "I am no longer participating in here."

TomD

• Private
« Reply #159 on: December 28, 2014, 06:15:56 PM »

Dear all

In the mail I sent to Tom I wrote:

My ideal of cosmetic is to perform 4 segments in 4 different procedures to stay safe, functional and proportioned. But of course there are 2 variables I cannot control: TIME and MONEY

Simultaneous femur and tibia is just an option which is valid and can be performed..

Every patient is particular. That s why I introduce the non-controled variables time and money.
Performing 4 procedures It always takes longer and It s more expensive particularly for patients coming from other countries. That s why I always try to agree with them their best option and the most suitable treatment for each one.

Hi Doctor. I sent you an updated email with questions regarding the different options. Many of us may not want to go to Spain for 4 surgeries. Especially someone like myself who lives in the United States.

None of us feel 1 surgery for all 4 segments is something we want to pursue. However, if we insist on 2 surgeries only, what would you suggest?   :)

TomD

• Private
« Reply #160 on: December 28, 2014, 06:27:49 PM »

Correct - he states single leg tib & femur is best suited for LLD (limb length discrepancy) patients, their physiology can handle single leg tib & femur method.

Not too sure that is what he is suggesting. He states clearly doing femur/tibia is a valid option. I bolded it for you on his email.  He just doesnt want to do it. He wants us to do 4 surgeries.

The German Doctor Baumgart does freely recommend the procedure and you can read here as he had a n interview with Daemon. He also insists on Fitbone for both uppers and lowers.

He is too damn expensive though  :'(

http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=735.0

galaxy1

« Reply #161 on: December 28, 2014, 07:18:20 PM »

Not too sure that is what he is suggesting. He states clearly doing femur/tibia is a valid option. I bolded it for you on his email.  He just doesnt want to do it. He wants us to do 4 surgeries.

The German Doctor Baumgart does freely recommend the procedure and you can read here as he had a n interview with Daemon. He also insists on Fitbone for both uppers and lowers.

He is too damn expensive though  :'(

http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=735.0

I read darn fast sometimes! :0) Great information gathering though, I see this doctor being a viable option for some people.

TomD

• Private
« Reply #162 on: December 29, 2014, 02:42:32 AM »

Ok I have send Dr Mongeal another email and he has clarified some things for us. Sending information through e-mail is often misunderstood or confused because we cannot see the other persons body language or the tone of their voice.

I have recieved another reply from him :

Here are my questions and his anwers

1) If pressed, will you do the 1 leg femur/tibia surgery using fitbone? It seems as though you think the procedure is fine but only for those who need correcting. Am I reading that Right?

That s not what I said. I said simultaneous tibia and femur Was originally indicated in those comined femur/tibia LLD.
I said performing 4 surgeries (one segment at a time)  is safer but I cannot control TIME and MONEY. So simultaneous is Valid option for cosmetic LL. That s What I said.

All Fitbone users meet every year and we discuss cosmetic LL. You can read Prof Baumgart and he says exactly the same. I discussed with him the best procedure for cosmetic LL and he thinks exactly the same as me.

For those of us who are willing to do 2 surgeries, to lengthen femur/tibia is the best option compared to bilateral. I said that several times.
I have currently patients doing simultaneous femur/tibia.

I have said several times that this is a Valid method.

2) Are you willing to compromise? Do 1 femur, then the tibia a few months later like you prescribe, and once those are healed and 100% weight bearing then do the other leg femur / tibia at the same time? 

It s not that complicated. If you want to perform 4 segment you have 2 options:

1- 4 procedures
2- 2 procedures (simultaneous fem/tib one leg)

I do not perform simultaneous femur or simultaneous tibia (bilateral) because I do not want you to put patients in risk and wheelchair.

Probably I don t make myself clear but my mentality and system is exactly the same as other Fitbone users. You can read prof Baumgart s thread and it s very clearly explained.

Notes:

I hope this puts it all to rest (finally)

Now I am back on board. I want to send some emails to Dr Baumgart in Germany to see if he has any added imput on the 1 leg femur / tibia combination. Questions I would have for both doctors are the type of prosthesis used to prop up the shorter leg while the other one is lengthening , and the total time required before we can stand on the first lengthened leg and do the other one.

Thank you again to Dr Mongeal who has taken time from his very busy family life to make sure he answers all our questions.

:)

Ghostfish

« Reply #163 on: December 29, 2014, 04:09:35 AM »

Hi TomD

Good job finding valid information.  I can see you are quite persistent ;)  I am wondering what you do for a living. 

This time, the answers from Dr. Monegal are quite clear. 

If one want to do 4 segments surgery, there will be only 4 choices.

1. 1 segmet -> healing -> 2 segment -> healing -> -> -> 4 segment -> healing:  Safest, but most time cosuming and expensive, very unlikely that people would want to do this.
2. 2 segments at one surgery: bilateral (Femurs or Tibias) -> another bilateral: However, Dr. Monegal does not perform this due to the safty. If one wants to do this method not necessarily by fitbone, one can find other options like precise 2, Betzbone, or Guichet nail (improved version of Albizzia)
3. 2 segments at one surgery for one leg (femur + tibia) -> consolidation -> another 2 segments for one leg: This is a valid option that Dr. Monegal probably would do.
4. 2 segments at one surgery for two legs at cross positions (femur + tibia) -> another 2 segments: I heard that some Dr. may do this and of course Dr. Monegal wouldn't do.  It sounds very weird and very likely that most of people wouldn't consider this.

Considering possible aspects, most of people would go for 2 or 3.  However, if one want to do just 2 segments or only bilateral (femurs or tibias) without considering 4 segments, one may need to find a doctor who does bilateral surgery, since Dr. Monegal generally does not consider this.

Many Thanks to Dr. Monegal for your time and effort for answering many questions. 

TomD, I also have the same questions as you about the time, although Dr. Monegal mentioned about the time earlier, it seems still a little unclear to me. Or it could be depending on patients though.  Regarding prosthesis, I remember that Dr. Baumgart also can do one leg for 2 segments followed by another leg surgery and provides a special shoes that can be adjusted for the height.  His time schedule for this type of surgery seems longer than what Dr. Monegal said.  Anyway, once you have some answer from Dr. Baumgart, please post it here again.  I am very looking forward to seeing them.  Thanks a lot, TomD

XXX

• Visitor
« Reply #164 on: January 07, 2015, 10:02:17 PM »

My name is Xavi, I'm 33 years old, I’ve got athletic build, my weight is 63 kg and my height was 166 cm.
For personal reasons, become taller, it was my life dream. My legs were slightly curved and they were quite short in compare with the trunk. Also, I've broad shoulders and they seemed disproportionate to my body.
I’ve been walking with shoe insoles until now, because I usually felt lumbar pain. However, I've always been a running lover, but for a long time, I couldn't run because always ended with contractures in the knees or plantar fasciitis.
In August from 2014, I was searching the Internet, when suddenly I found Dr. Alejandro Monegal expert and authorized by Wittenstein Intens in bone lengthening by Fitbone system. He is one of the 25 doctors in the world, who practice this type of surgery.
In September I had the first interview with him. He had empathy with me and he understood perfectly my problem and my complex.
The 16th of October, he made me the first intervention surgery of my left leg. He introduced the Fitbone system inside my femur. Before, we had been agree to do an elongation of 6 cm. At the end, my height is 172 cm. My dream was come true!
Eight days after the surgery, I began with two pulsations of Fitbone system (0.27 mm each pulsation) each day.
11 days after the surgery, I could start walking with crutches. I've been walking 45 minutes every day.
In October 30, I stopped taking painkillers. At that time, I was connected the Fitbone system three times every day.
November 3rd I started working. My life it was more or less normal with crutches limitations.
November 13th I'm connected the Fitbone four times each day. From the third centimetre, I begin to feel some tenderness in the fracture, when I connect the Fitbone system.
On December 19th I'm finished the treatment. I had grown 5 cm and my actual height is 172 cm. That was more than I’ve been expected. Dr. Alejandro Monegal had put my leg completely straight and with that I finally won an extra centimetre. Now, the ratio between the femur and tibia is perfect.
Today 4th January 2015 I can walk without crutches and my femur is consolidating well. So, If all goes well, at the end of February Dr. Alejandro Monegal will do the second surgery on my right leg.
The result is extremely spectacular, and I am very happy and pleased with the process and it seems impossible that my dream was becoming true.
I'm still doing leg stretches (hour and a half every day). It’s important that tendons and muscles have to stretched and is absolutely essential this type of stretching. It is very important to keep track of increases in footwear to adapting to the new height.
Slowly I'm breaking the leg adhesion, because I can’t bend more than 90 degrees. At the same time that the bone is consolidated is important to do some rehabilitation.
My assessment of the whole process is excellent, if you have enthusiasm, discipline and work hard every day, the lengthening process will be effective.
You can see the results from week to week. Dr. Alejandro Monegal has been an excellent surgeon for me. We talk frequently to monitor the whole process and I’m so thankful with him, because he made my dream come true.
My life is changing completely and this is a new beginning for me.
Now that's all. Once, I’ve finished the second surgery, I will write again telling my experience.
Bye and see you soon. 

XXX

• Visitor
« Reply #165 on: January 08, 2015, 08:35:48 PM »

;)

ReadRothbard

« Reply #166 on: January 09, 2015, 07:13:56 PM »

Is there any way that Dr. Monegal could do 7 cm on the tibias? Otherwise, everything looks great!
“If you're afraid - don't do it, - if you're doing it - don't be afraid!” ― Genghis Khan

172 cm in the morning (67.8"); 170 cm (67”) at night; Sitting Height: 96 cm (37.8”); Goal: 184.5 cm (6'0.7"); Ultimate Goal: 192 cm (6’3.5) morning height, 190 cm (6’3) “night” height
Future space tycoon

Ghostfish

« Reply #167 on: January 10, 2015, 05:54:56 AM »

Hi Xavi

Congrats on your progress!  Looks like your ll journey seems to go very well!
I have one question for you.  You said that Dr. Monegal also corrected your curved leg during lengthening.  How did he do that while you are lengthening your femur?  What if your tibia is curved not femur?  Is it possible to correct the curved tibia while lengthening femur?  My legs are also curved so I am very curious about it.  Can you tell me a little bit about it?

Thanks a lot!

TomD

• Private
« Reply #168 on: January 10, 2015, 06:03:26 AM »

For the tibias the maximum lengthening allowed by the Fitbone system is 6 cm. But ask Dr. Monegal. He will study your case and give you his opinion.

I am doing more research on internal tibias but if all goes well I am going to Dr Mongeal for my right leg then 10 months later for my left leg if there are no complications.

8cm femurs and 6 tibias. I have short femurs anyways.

I have seen the videos of his hospital, talked to some who have visited there and spoken with the Doctor on several occasions.

All I want is to talk to a patient who has done both the femur and tibia at the same time about the knee pain and drastic height gain . I want to know about the prosthetic lifts for the leg not being operated on.

Dr Monegal

• Account Deactivated
« Reply #169 on: January 11, 2015, 06:12:00 PM »

Hi Ghostfish

I am pleased to answer instead of Xavi.
All Fitbone users planify all cases as we are all trainned by Professor Baumgart and Wittenstein in Munchen Germany. We all use The Reverse Planning method (published by Rainer Baumgart) and it s a way to planify, NOT only LL But Also axial deformities and malrotation of limbs. That s one of the reasons I prefer Fitbone by far rather than others like Precice or Guichet systems. With Fitbone and Reverse planning method (Available when you use Traumacad 2.0) you can measure limbs, make allignment test and planify lengthenning and axial/rotational Correction.
It is a matter of reliabilty and Also to we in the safe zone not modifying the biomechanics of the limb. You might have seen x rays (mainly when using ex fix) where tibias finish with a terrific valgus deformity (I ve seen it in some of the x rays posted) which Will cause knee pain and early osteoarthritis.

Xavi had genu varus on his legs. We optimized his mechanical axis and lengthened his left limb. You obviously cannot modify tibia vara by operating a femur, you can improve the mechanical axis but not the tibia (if that s the origin of the deformity).
You can check Payley's malalignment test where you will find all the basics to understand How the Limb allignment works.

It is very important that patients understand that LL is not Just a matter of cm, a bad procedure can end up with a limb malalignment which might cause issues in the future.

I hope my reply Was helpful

Shuya

• Visitor
« Reply #170 on: January 12, 2015, 03:25:59 AM »

Hello all.

I am Dr Monegal And i have been working with Dr Ginebreda for 9 years. I have been the guy in Charge of Fitbone project in Dexeus And I changed clinic a few months ago. Dr Ginebreda continues performing cases but he is not very keen to perform cosmetic. If you want to contact him you will fins his contact details at www.fitbone.com
About pricing, in the new clinica it is 5000 to 6000€ cheaper per segment. And when I say segment I am refering to bone (fémur or tibia)

About the discussion of performing a 1 or a 2 stage lengthenning i must say I have done both. Life quality And recovery is much better with a 2 stage. Apart from that, from a Medical Point of view it is much safer. We presented some cosmetic cases performed in 1 stage at Last years Fitbone users meeting in Aalborg (denmark) And all Fitbone users found them extremely risky.
It is true we create a temporary limb lenght discrepancy which can be compensated othopedically. But believe me it is much better to deal with this rather than with fat embolism syndrome.

My best regards for all

Hello Dr Monegal

You are really helpful answering questions about LL. I am also interested in Fitbone, which I believe would cause less complications, like scarring and infections. Thus, I am planning to go for it.

I am currently staying in Hong Kong and will migrate to Australia in 2015, before which I would like to have my LL done. I do not think I have time for a two-stage operation (which requires me to travel among several places). Will it still be safe if I do bilateral lengthening simultaneously using Fitbone?

Regards

Shuya

Current height: 164 cm
Armspan: 170 cm
Desired height: 174 cm
Average male height in my country: 173 cm
Average female height in my country: 161 cm

Outgrown

• "Long enough to touch the ground" -Abraham Lincoln
« Reply #171 on: January 12, 2015, 03:57:06 AM »

Not being a killjoy - nor saying I am correct, but I find it familiar to see this come into occurrence in the forum - sounds more like a promotion rather than an opportunity. Sure, that business is on MakeMeTaller, and is part of why this forum was created; however, that doesn't mean the same can't happen on this one.

Just my opinion, but I am willing to see success in patients during and after operation.
5"6 and proud

GeTs

« Reply #172 on: January 12, 2015, 06:26:36 AM »

Not being a killjoy - nor saying I am correct, but I find it familiar to see this come into occurrence in the forum - sounds more like a promotion rather than an opportunity. Sure, that business is on MakeMeTaller, and is part of why this forum was created; however, that doesn't mean the same can't happen on this one.

Just my opinion, but I am willing to see success in patients during and after operation.
birkholz did the same

Dr Monegal

• Account Deactivated
« Reply #173 on: January 12, 2015, 07:38:44 PM »

Hi outgrown

I don t know if I get your Point but let me say something about What you just posted.
I have never used this forum to promote Myself. I think the goal of this forum is for you the patients to be aware of LL techniques and specialists, to solve Medical questions rather than to promote doctors.
I receive emails from worldwide on a daily basis, and do believe that I try to reply to all of them and in most cases I do not advice the treatment. Such is the case of Musicmaker to whom I Did not recommend to perform 2 segments per limb...I even adviced Her not to be operated. She is very determined and we finally agreeded to perform 1 segment per limb.

Secret of success when performing LL surgeries is time, full dedication to your patients, planification and protocol whatever treatment you perform. This includes Number of cases...the more you operate, bigger are the chances to get into trouble. So I am not here to promote Myself (i have enought patients) I am here to try to assist you guys from a professional Point of view. If for some reason you are not happy or you want to speculate, it s up to you. Maybe you want doctors to be banned to participate in this forum.
On the other hand, I Was surprised that Xavi posted here. But he is a web designer and he is in touch with forums and similar sites... So for me, as a doctor, this Was very pleasant. None of my patients gets any benefit from participating in the forum.

You might think whatever. But forum is an experience sharing and if patients are happy with procedure they should be welcome to participate.
I told you before you can think whatever and it s up to you. I have a lot of work and it takes time for me to reply here. So I beg you to be respectful with me and all participants. And yes, i Also hope the result at the ends is optimal. And the secret of success is to study, listen and being respectful with each other.

I hope I Was clear enought

GeTs

« Reply #174 on: January 12, 2015, 07:54:00 PM »

Nothing wrong, but let me advice you to better keep everything about the patient as private as possible, things like web designer

Dr Monegal

• Account Deactivated
« Reply #175 on: January 12, 2015, 08:10:45 PM »

Hi Hallijah

You are 300% right. I always try to keep my patients privacy.
He is not exactly a designer maybe I should have said he is "in touch with computers".
You will never see me posting neither x rays or clinical pictures of my patients.
This is Also part of success and It s legal to keep privacy. That is why I sometimes get upset when private messages are posted, or some participants just post relevant Medical information.
But i do believe in the principle of freedom.

But once again thanks for your words and advices. I am a rookie here!

Outgrown

• "Long enough to touch the ground" -Abraham Lincoln
« Reply #176 on: January 12, 2015, 10:48:32 PM »

Hi outgrown

I don t know if I get your Point but let me say something about What you just posted.
I have never used this forum to promote Myself. I think the goal of this forum is for you the patients to be aware of LL techniques and specialists, to solve Medical questions rather than to promote doctors.
I receive emails from worldwide on a daily basis, and do believe that I try to reply to all of them and in most cases I do not advice the treatment. Such is the case of Musicmaker to whom I Did not recommend to perform 2 segments per limb...I even adviced Her not to be operated. She is very determined and we finally agreeded to perform 1 segment per limb.

Secret of success when performing LL surgeries is time, full dedication to your patients, planification and protocol whatever treatment you perform. This includes Number of cases...the more you operate, bigger are the chances to get into trouble. So I am not here to promote Myself (i have enought patients) I am here to try to assist you guys from a professional Point of view. If for some reason you are not happy or you want to speculate, it s up to you. Maybe you want doctors to be banned to participate in this forum.
On the other hand, I Was surprised that Xavi posted here. But he is a web designer and he is in touch with forums and similar sites... So for me, as a doctor, this Was very pleasant. None of my patients gets any benefit from participating in the forum.

You might think whatever. But forum is an experience sharing and if patients are happy with procedure they should be welcome to participate.
I told you before you can think whatever and it s up to you. I have a lot of work and it takes time for me to reply here. So I beg you to be respectful with me and all participants. And yes, i Also hope the result at the ends is optimal. And the secret of success is to study, listen and being respectful with each other.

I hope I Was clear enought

Excellent. We've had issues of heavy promotions on an older forum from unprofessional surgeons through admins, patients, and blackmail, but I am happy to see that you would take the time to reach out to us.
5"6 and proud

Ghostfish

« Reply #177 on: January 13, 2015, 04:43:24 AM »

Hi Ghostfish

I am pleased to answer instead of Xavi.
All Fitbone users planify all cases as we are all trainned by Professor Baumgart and Wittenstein in Munchen Germany. We all use The Reverse Planning method (published by Rainer Baumgart) and it s a way to planify, NOT only LL But Also axial deformities and malrotation of limbs. That s one of the reasons I prefer Fitbone by far rather than others like Precice or Guichet systems. With Fitbone and Reverse planning method (Available when you use Traumacad 2.0) you can measure limbs, make allignment test and planify lengthenning and axial/rotational Correction.
It is a matter of reliabilty and Also to we in the safe zone not modifying the biomechanics of the limb. You might have seen x rays (mainly when using ex fix) where tibias finish with a terrific valgus deformity (I ve seen it in some of the x rays posted) which Will cause knee pain and early osteoarthritis.

Xavi had genu varus on his legs. We optimized his mechanical axis and lengthened his left limb. You obviously cannot modify tibia vara by operating a femur, you can improve the mechanical axis but not the tibia (if that s the origin of the deformity).
You can check Payley's malalignment test where you will find all the basics to understand How the Limb allignment works.

It is very important that patients understand that LL is not Just a matter of cm, a bad procedure can end up with a limb malalignment which might cause issues in the future.

I hope my reply Was helpful

Dear Dr. Monegal

Sorry for the delay for your reply. I have been quite busy lately. Thank you so much for taking your time to explain how Xavi have his legs treated and how Fitbone is working as compared to other methods.  Your reply is indeed of great help for me to understand not only Fitbone process but also LL in general.  I am really grateful to you making time for everyone in this forum.

By the way, I just don't understand why or how some people think or feel some sort of promotion from his or his patients' posts.  I may be too naive but have not perceived any sort of that kind of implication.  I do believe that he has been trying to help us understand better about LL or to clarify some procedures.  I don't really know what happened to the old forum. But just let's be not too much cautious about the posts and let people decide what is good for them.  Most of people should be able to figure out what it is good or right for them.

TomD

• Private
« Reply #178 on: January 13, 2015, 05:52:50 AM »

Hi, everybody.

I can’t but confirm what Dr. Monegal says.

He’s a very busy doctor. Thus, he has no need of using this forum to attract patients. In fact, he even rejects to perform procedures if he feels that they are not indicated at all for a particular patient.

In my case, I was thinking about four segments, and he advised me to do only two. He would have made more money by performing four separate surgeries, but he decided to perform just two because he considered that 6 cm. were enough for me. As he has explained to all of you, when I had my first appointment with him, he even told me that the surgery was not indicated in my case, because I was not particularly short, and agreed to perform CLL just because he understood how important height was for me and my self-esteem.

Dr. Monegal is a very sympathetic doctor. It is obvious that he is not trying to sell anything; he genuinely tries to help people feel better about themselves and to instruct everyone here about LL, which is very necessary, since most of us don’t have medical background. I like his approach very much.

And not, I’m not being paid for saying this nor I am getting benefits of any kind. I am writing this post just because I cannot stand the fact that some of you misthink of him and spread fake rumors in this forum.

Best regards,

I have never heard of any of us wanting to do one segment, then a separate surgery for the other segment. It takes too much time even though it very well may be the 'safest' way to do it.

Many patients have done bilateral surgery and are fine. Virtually nobody does all 4 segments at the same time .

I hope you have a much success with Dr Mongeal . He seems like a caring guy. I will only do it if he agrees to do my entire right leg in one surgery then the left a year later.

Otherwise I will external tibias for much cheaper elsewhere then internal femurs.

Good luck.

Shuya

• Visitor
« Reply #179 on: January 14, 2015, 02:13:53 AM »

Hi TomD,

I understand what you’re saying. All of us want to complete the process as soon as possible. But when the doctor explained to me that bilateral lengthening was not safe nor comfortable I decided to follow his advice and have two separate procedures. That way we could avoid the risks of fat embolism and the uncomfortableness of being confined to a wheel-chair for months.

When he told me about the necessity of performing two separate procedures,  I started thinking about having my entire leg lengthened, to maximize the results obtained in a one year time. But it was expensive and not really indicated for me. Looking like a giraffe is not nice either. That’s why  I finally accepted his proposal of having only two segments performed.

I would also like to share with you some feelings I had after completing the first procedure, when I was at hospital. As you know, I’m not a strong guy like you, but a girl, and I am as fragile as a flower. The surgery was not a walk in the park. I lost much blood, which is particularly worrying in the case of a person who usually suffers from anemia, like me. Some hours later, when I was in my bedroom, I had the feeling that I would not have been able to overcome the surgery if I had had my two legs done. The experience of having one leg operated was strong enough for me.

I am sharing this with you so that you can see that I am not here to promote this doctor, but to share my experiences. Non, je ne regrette rien, but I can assure you that this surgery is not for the faint-hearted.

Best wishes,

MusicMaker

Hi MusicMaker,

As a girl, you are really brave. Wishing you all the best in your LL journey.  ;)

I have a few questions regarding your LL with Dr Monegal:-

1. How long do you need to stay in the hospital for each surgery?
2. How often do I need for follow-up after discharge?
3. How long is the interval between two surgeries?

I am quite concerned about the interval since I am not staying in Spain. I need to travel back and forth Spain if I choose Dr Monegal.

Best wishes,

Shuya

Shuya

• Visitor
« Reply #180 on: January 14, 2015, 02:22:39 AM »

I have never heard of any of us wanting to do one segment, then a separate surgery for the other segment. It takes too much time even though it very well may be the 'safest' way to do it.

Many patients have done bilateral surgery and are fine. Virtually nobody does all 4 segments at the same time .

I hope you have a much success with Dr Mongeal . He seems like a caring guy. I will only do it if he agrees to do my entire right leg in one surgery then the left a year later.

Otherwise I will external tibias for much cheaper elsewhere then internal femurs.

Good luck.

Hi TomD,

You are right that no one is willing to do one segment on one leg and then wait for another one for the other leg. It will lead to length discrepancy between two legs for some time, which is quite funny, inconvenient, and time-consuming. However, if time is available, it seems that Dr Monegal is safer and more affordable among other doctors who perform internal LL.

To be honest, I am quite keen on it. I wonder whether there is someone showing interest so that we can discuss how we would share accommodation in Barcelona.

All the best,

Shuya

SpaniardHobbit

• Visitor
« Reply #181 on: January 15, 2015, 04:09:25 AM »

Seriously considering Monegal since I currently live in barcelona. I would save all accommodation expenses. But so far from saving 60k...

Infinity

« Reply #182 on: January 29, 2015, 07:43:41 PM »

Hello Music Maker,

I hope your journey is going on smoothly now. As i am interested in internal femur, Dr. Monegal is one of the option i am considering. I wrote to him couple of days ago but he hasn't replied yet, based on your dealings with how long he normal takes before ge gets back. Also would it be possible for you to share his mobile number via a PM.

Lastly i wish you luck and strength with your rest of journey :)...take car!

Wazzup

« Reply #183 on: January 30, 2015, 04:17:31 PM »

I really must know the answer to this question guys:

Is the fitbone (when lenghtening femurs) able to  cause knee pain? By the way I must say I'm quite thin and my knees already look weak.

"Stay awesome" and thank you

itzrammi

• TrailBlazer inspired | TRS my Height Twin
« Reply #184 on: January 30, 2015, 06:40:30 PM »

Dr. Monegal is really amazing ,I take a bow . I have never seen a Human as kind as him the way he answers to every question I ask though am not his concerned patient or just dont have any relation . I think for all the patience he have to reply us all and his motive to educate us all more on LL he needed to be named " GOD OF LIMB LENGTHENING FORUM "

this is nothing intended to promote him or spmething , all I wanted to make you all know How nice man he is  :)
TrailBlazer inspired | TRS my Height Twin

Wazzup

« Reply #185 on: January 30, 2015, 07:15:55 PM »

Knowing that is awesome and i must say than IMHO nothing is better than having a doctor that is allways there to support us.

When it comes to the cuts in femurs the doctor said:
3)It depends on each case. Fitbone technique can be done antegrade or retrograde in femur. So the osteotomy is 1,5 cm below lesser trochanter when doing antegrade/9-10 cm above knee joint for retrograde.

What is the advantages and disadvantages between boths? Can one of then prevent us from permanent knee pain? I am sure here it isn't inserted through the knees and the knee gets untouched, or am I wrong?

My consern is that I am planning to do this in 3 years time and then forget about leg lenghtening and just leave a healthy life style.I'm really concerned because saving 20k might not be worth it if you then have to leave the rest of your lives with pain and weak knees.

By the way I'm 19 and plan to do this with 22. As i said before my knees already look weak so... That is why i have all this obssession. Whaiting to read some diaries :) but I'm already so excited that I can't even focus in college
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 08:05:45 PM by Wazzup »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 24   Go Up