Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How tall are people in the business world?  (Read 7588 times)

Uppland

How tall are people in the business world?
« on: February 01, 2015, 08:58:11 PM »

So I am thinking about educating myself at a high-end business school but I can't help but be worried about how I'll fit in hiehgt wise. I've often heard that the world of financial business is full of tall successful people in a competitive environment. I am aiming for 186CM after lengthening my legs, my question is if this will be seen as a respectable height in your experience (in case anyone has any) or maybe I'm just being paranoid and I'm fine?

-I live in sweden, the average height for young men is about 181CM but as usual it feels even higher.

Ferrari 275 California

• Visitor
Re: How tall are people in the business world?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 09:19:58 PM »

I'm 29 and 163cm tall. I've worked in sales and management since I was 19 and had to earn the respect. In those years I've been very successful, but being taller would probably have helped me achieve my goals and result easier. Last November I started a new job, all down to my CV, reputation and results I've delivered. You could say I'm work in culture and business, everything from medium size businesses to large corporations, meeting with CEO's and even celebrities. My colleague is 203cm tall and after three months at my new job I'm amazed how people trust him and eat every word he says because of his super tall stature and good looks. In this business we meet a lot of women and I'm quite baffled about how much attention he gets and how easy he gets it. I know for a fact that I'm also quite attractive, I might even be more attractive than my colleague, but my small stature does take a lot away from that. I've got no problems with my confidence, but for practical reasons and for my career I'd like to gain about 14cm making me 177cm tall. At that height things would be a lot easier for me. I could even use 5cm lifts and become 182cm, making me taller than the average male here in Scandinavia. So to answer your question, taller stature is advantageous in business.

Puertoricanwasp123

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 09:32:27 PM »

I went to a lot of restaurants because I liked their food ( not because I could easily afford it though) and there were a lot of guys who had corporate conversations( I could over hear them talk about numbers and statistics) judging by their sitting height these corporate people seemed very tall and had wide torsos and when I got up to the buffet section I eyeballed them and most of them were taller than usual, I didn't have this problem in places like TacoBell or BK where more common people go to eat,only in restaurants did I feel that small.

endomorphisme

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 09:49:37 PM »

I read that men from higher social class in Germany are almost 4 cm taller than the national average.
I believe the average height in business companies could be 185 cm in Sweden.
at 186 cm you will just be average

endomorphisme

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 09:52:47 PM »

I'm 29 and 163cm tall. I've worked in sales and management since I was 19 and had to earn the respect. In those years I've been very successful, but being taller would probably have helped me achieve my goals and result easier. Last November I started a new job, all down to my CV, reputation and results I've delivered. You could say I'm work in culture and business, everything from medium size businesses to large corporations, meeting with CEO's and even celebrities. My colleague is 203cm tall and after three months at my new job I'm amazed how people trust him and eat every word he says because of his super tall stature and good looks. In this business we meet a lot of women and I'm quite baffled about how much attention he gets and how easy he gets it. I know for a fact that I'm also quite attractive, I might even be more attractive than my colleague, but my small stature does take a lot away from that. I've got no problems with my confidence, but for practical reasons and for my career I'd like to gain about 14cm making me 177cm tall. At that height things would be a lot easier for me. I could even use 5cm lifts and become 182cm, making me taller than the average male here in Scandinavia. So to answer your question, taller stature is advantageous in business.

Interesting, does that tall man gets more money than you?

Puertoricanwasp123

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 10:13:40 PM »

Let's not forget that the bigger reason taller people make more money has a lot to do with the fact that taller people get promoted more often thus they get new responsibilities and with that comes a raise in paycheck.

Ferrari 275 California

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 11:08:11 PM »

We get paid the same, we're equal partners in the company I work at. We also work as a team, so we'll always get paid the same (pay our selves the same wage). He's one of the most respected and sincere people I know, but I suppose people being nice and trusting you, and looking up to you might do that to someone.

Uppland

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 11:27:59 PM »

Ferrari 275 California - are you also scandinavian?

If so how tall would you say most of the men you work with are, and do men of a more "moderate" tall height (maybe 188-195) recieve the same advantages as your 203CM colleague?

Puertoricanwasp123

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2015, 11:28:34 PM »

We get paid the same, we're equal partners in the company I work at. We also work as a team, so we'll always get paid the same (pay our selves the same wage). He's one of the most respected and sincere people I know, but I suppose people being nice and trusting you, and looking up to you might do that to someone.

But does he have more clients in general?

Ferrari 275 California

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 09:52:42 PM »

Most of the men I work with and have worked with the last 10 years range from around 175cm til 190cm on average. I very seldom even see men at my height, and men shorter than me are very rare. In my former job my colleague was 193cm tall, but him not being as humble and collected as my current colleague, he didn't get nearly the same respect in business. In business I'd say most of the time it's character first, and height second. Sure tall stature does come with predetermined respect, but if you don't have character that respect diminishes very quickly. The combination tall stature, good looks and character is undoubtedly killer though in the world of business, but remember even those traits aren't always enough, you can't always   control all business deals. On the other hand, my former colleague at 193cm did get girls very easily, barely lifting a finger.

So for me a tall (taller) stature is the only thing lacking for me, I do believe I possess great character and good looks, but at 163cm tall (short) most things are generally harder. My goal of 177cm would make me just a few cm's below average height in Scandinavia, barely noticeable, and with some nice customs lifts I'd easily tower at 182cm. My advice and life experience does tell me that you can still do great things at 163cm, but it's just going to be much harder work. I also firmly believe that you have to develop good character and good confidence at your small stature before you can do great things at your post LL height.

It's important to know that I wasn't really consciously aware of my small stature before I was around 25 - 26 years old, before that age I really never thought about it. I was also 163cm and 19 years old the first time I got a job a manager. I was managing a staff of around 40 employees, some 20 and 30 years older than me. My first challenge was gaining peoples respect, when their respect was earned their preconceptions about my height and age disappeared. So after 10 years of knowing in and out the process of hard work in gaining peoples respect and trust I do sincerely believe that a stature of 177cm would let me take things to another level much easier.

I'm half Asian and half white, but I look more like a fair skinned Latin American, just like Enrique Iglesias looks Latin American, although being half Asian and half white.

Outgrown

• "Long enough to touch the ground" -Abraham Lincoln
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2015, 10:09:05 PM »

Dad's 5'5.5, but makes $700,000 a year...

Height isn't so much of a big deal in business, unless if you're a car dealer or a furniture salesman.
5"6 and proud

Uppland

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2015, 11:52:14 PM »

Thanks for the in-depth answers but I still don't understand: do you work in california or scandinavia?

You do use CM and refer to a scandinavian average so I'll assume the latter. You say 175-190CM is the most common range from that I gather that perhaps 183CM is a quite medium height in the business world, good news for me -that means I would not be short if I lenghten to 186CM. Also thanks for sharing your experience in how height and presence work in business. I'm sure you're very competent and charistmatic, 163CM is short indeed especially in N. europe so any increase in height will surely be of benefit.

On a less serious note, would you say your tall colleagues (193 and 203CM) got a lot of women just by being really tall?

Always knew height was important but never to such an extent.

Blackhawk

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2015, 12:10:50 AM »

Height doesn't mean as much as people think in business.  I have worked at trading companies, hedge funds, and brokerage firms in Chicago for almost 10 years.  I am 5'6" and it hasn't held me back much.  Last year the company I worked for was going out of business.  After years of lay offs, me and the CFO were the only 2 left in the accounting/finance group.  He is about 6'4"-6'5".  They let him go before me and I was the last one left.  Being tall and good looking will get your foot in the door or gets you more respect at first BUT you have to back it up.  I have a CPA and am working on an MBA in finance right now.  As you get older, more experienced, and more education, height becomes less important.  It will always be a benefit but it diminishes.

To answer your question.  I would say that being around 6' to 6'2" is the optimal height.  But being average won't hold you back.  At 5'6" things are tougher for me at first but once I prove myself I do get the respect that I deserve.

ItsMyLife

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2015, 07:01:28 AM »

I don't think height is required to be a businessman or lawyer at least in asian countries... I don't know why it sounds so different elsewhere, but You gotta ask yourself could it be self-fulfilled hypothesis. I would say average height and slightly below, is pretty fine. Capabilities matter much more.

ItsMyLife

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2015, 07:03:47 AM »

Thanks for the in-depth answers but I still don't understand: do you work in california or scandinavia?

You do use CM and refer to a scandinavian average so I'll assume the latter. You say 175-190CM is the most common range from that I gather that perhaps 183CM is a quite medium height in the business world, good news for me -that means I would not be short if I lenghten to 186CM. Also thanks for sharing your experience in how height and presence work in business. I'm sure you're very competent and charistmatic, 163CM is short indeed especially in N. europe so any increase in height will surely be of benefit.

On a less serious note, would you say your tall colleagues (193 and 203CM) got a lot of women just by being really tall?

Always knew height was important but never to such an extent.

I think all this is bull   in Asia, I know many short politicians and lawyers, and business-people.

Uppland

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2015, 10:55:44 AM »

Height doesn't mean as much as people think in business.  I have worked at trading companies, hedge funds, and brokerage firms in Chicago for almost 10 years.  I am 5'6" and it hasn't held me back much.  Last year the company I worked for was going out of business.  After years of lay offs, me and the CFO were the only 2 left in the accounting/finance group.  He is about 6'4"-6'5".  They let him go before me and I was the last one left.  Being tall and good looking will get your foot in the door or gets you more respect at first BUT you have to back it up.  I have a CPA and am working on an MBA in finance right now.  As you get older, more experienced, and more education, height becomes less important.  It will always be a benefit but it diminishes.

To answer your question.  I would say that being around 6' to 6'2" is the optimal height.  But being average won't hold you back.  At 5'6" things are tougher for me at first but once I prove myself I do get the respect that I deserve.

Thanks man I feel more at ease all ready.

LittleWhiteMan

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2015, 01:59:46 AM »

Height is just an advantage, thats it. The same as being handsome, and you know what they say about handsome people, they are just pretty faces that's it.
5'1", 100 lbs

joax

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2015, 03:29:03 AM »

I don't even think height is that much of an advantage. The voted most powerful man in the world, Putin, is only 1.70. He doesn't give a sh*t about his height and doesn't go on forums asking how tall people are in the business world. He simply went out and beat everyone.

Blackhawk

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2015, 04:13:29 AM »

I don't even think height is that much of an advantage. The voted most powerful man in the world, Putin, is only 1.70. He doesn't give a sh*t about his height and doesn't go on forums asking how tall people are in the business world. He simply went out and beat everyone.

I think Putin does give a   about his own height. But it never held him back from anything.  He has enough things going for him to keep him from doing LL.

joax

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2015, 09:39:05 AM »

Oh right, I'm sorry I know you can read Putin's mind and know exactly what he thinks and what he gives a   about. Everyone is a mental freak who worries about his height and that's why forums like this are so relatively unpopular despite the fact that 50% of the population is of average or under average height.

Blackhawk

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2015, 09:04:54 PM »

Oh right, I'm sorry I know you can read Putin's mind and know exactly what he thinks and what he gives a crap about. Everyone is a mental freak who worries about his height and that's why forums like this are so relatively unpopular despite the fact that 50% of the population is of average or under average height.

You don't have to read his mind, or any other famous or powerful person when you see them wearing lifts.

Yemef

• Newbi
  • Banned
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2015, 09:28:30 PM »

Wearing lifts doesnt necessarily mean hes insecure about his height.. I personally wear lifts to feel gud n i even go to my college in flip flops a few days in a week wen i just wanna feel comfortable r wen i get slightly irritated by d disomfort caused by the lifts
banned for clone account: Emef:Yemef

Blackhawk

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2015, 09:42:12 PM »

Wearing lifts doesnt necessarily mean hes insecure about his height.. I personally wear lifts to feel gud n i even go to my college in flip flops a few days in a week wen i just wanna feel comfortable r wen i get slightly irritated by d disomfort caused by the lifts

I didn't say Putin was insecure about his height.  I said maybe he gives a   about it that he wears lifts.  Maybe you are insecure?  Maybe you aren't?  But you give enough of a   about it to wear lifts!  Oh and your a member of an LL forum and you're ready to break your both of your legs to be two or three inches taller.  But you don't give a   about height?!?  Smmfh

Yemef

• Newbi
  • Banned
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2015, 09:47:11 PM »

Yup! Maybe im one of a kind! I din say i don give a crap lol. I said i don feel insecure. A few inches wud just better. Eventhough i don get LL im prettymuch happy coz i have everything in life!! (money, hot n tall gf, good friends n many more!) im again sayin im doin this for myself n not for anyone else. If i was insecure i wudnt go the next day to my college with flipflops lol. I think the world needs more good people than goodlooking people.
banned for clone account: Emef:Yemef

Moubgf

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2015, 03:01:06 AM »

I think Putin does give a crap about his own height. But it never held him back from anything.  He has enough things going for him to keep him from doing LL.

Actually he wears lift. Seen it. actually more people then you think wears lifts, Its just guys under a certain height that gets bashed for it tho.

Blackhawk

« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2015, 03:46:13 AM »

Actually he wears lift. Seen it. actually more people then you think wears lifts, Its just guys under a certain height that gets bashed for it tho.

Yeah I completely agree with this^^

I always thought it was bull  that short guys get   for wearing lifts or big boots but it's ok for everyone else to.
Pages: [1]   Go Up