Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Low Vitamin D Levels: Consultation w/ Dr. Paley  (Read 528 times)

TheAlchemist

Low Vitamin D Levels: Consultation w/ Dr. Paley
« on: June 11, 2019, 06:07:32 PM »

I recently had my consultation w/ Dr. Paley. Overall a positive experience, however, results of my blood test came in and reported low Vitamin D levels at about 11 ng/ML. I was informed that the optimal range is 30 to 80 ng/mL).

I'm pretty concerned about the Vitamin D deficiency in the context of my bone health and regenerative capabilities for bilateral femur lengthening. The entire team (Dr. Paley himself and all the Nurses) informed me that I shouldn't have to worry, they prescribed me Vitamin D supplements and advised that I take them to get my levels up by my surgery date which is still 2 months away.

Admittedly, I never take any vitamins and my diet hasn't been great. I've also had low sun exposure recently given a pretty hectic work schedule (office work) so I'm not shocked that my levels are low, just a bit concerned at the magnitude of how low they are.

Question for you guys:

1) Anyone else experience low levels of Vitamin D and were they able to increase them through supplements/diet/sun exposure?

2) How important are these levels in the context of this surgery? I'm hoping that in 2 months time I can get my levels optimized.

Dr. Paley Patient: Femurs (Stryde) / 8 CM gained
Surgery: 9/17/19 / Distraction completed: 12/14/19
Start height: 5'9 or 175cm / Endi Height: 6'0 ft or 183 cm
Rod Removal: Dr. Debiparshad 6/16/21
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64373.0

PANDA:BEAR..

Re: Low Vitamin D Levels: Consultation w/ Dr. Paley
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 06:31:24 PM »

My vitamin D was very low to 5 .... the doctor game me some vitamin D oil tablets.. they worked and got my level to normal after 6 months

TheAlchemist

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 06:38:18 PM »

My vitamin D was very low to 5 .... the doctor game me some vitamin D oil tablets.. they worked and got my level to normal after 6 months

Thank you! That's comforting to hear. It took 6 months to get it optimized, I only have 2.....better stop popping them I guess!

sylar94

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 06:39:42 PM »

TheAlchemist what other things are checked in the blood test?

PANDA:BEAR..

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 06:43:38 PM »

Thank you! That's comforting to hear. It took 6 months to get it optimized, I only have 2.....better stop popping them I guess!

The tablets are ok ... but if you want to get a better result.. and fast .. take the plastic bottles which have vitamin d oil ... the doctor can only give u them

TheAlchemist

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 06:48:10 PM »

TheAlchemist what other things are checked in the blood test?

Just Vitamin d levels for the blood test.
The tablets are ok ... but if you want to get a better result.. and fast .. take the plastic bottles which have vitamin d oil ... the doctor can only give u them

Thank you! Will look into getting a prescription for that

Ghostfish

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 12:51:30 AM »

Hi Alchemist

I think you don't need to worry about it as Paley team also told you like that.  Normal range of vitamin D is more likely 20-50 not 30-80ng/ml.  Paley team always told pretty much everybody "You need to take vitamin D!", since their standard is high so almost all people have lower vitamin D level to their chart. My level was lower than 20 (I couldn't remember exact number.) so I was worried a little bit.  But I didn't have any issue of bone healing, although I am older than you.

In addition, there are several new studies showing that vitamin D supplement doesn't really help bone build not as much as people have believed it does.  Read the below.  I can find the original papers if you want.

https://www.webmd.com/osteoporosis/news/20181004/study-vitamin-d-supplements-dont-build-bone#1

So no need to worry.  Just take some vitamin D which may be still helpful, get some sunshine, stretch as much as you can, and relax without worry.

Good luck!

TheAlchemist

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2019, 01:48:27 AM »

Hi Alchemist

I think you don't need to worry about it as Paley team also told you like that.  Normal range of vitamin D is more likely 20-50 not 30-80ng/ml.  Paley team always told pretty much everybody "You need to take vitamin D!", since their standard is high so almost all people have lower vitamin D level to their chart. My level was lower than 20 (I couldn't remember exact number.) so I was worried a little bit.  But I didn't have any issue of bone healing, although I am older than you.

In addition, there are several new studies showing that vitamin D supplement doesn't really help bone build not as much as people have believed it does.  Read the below.  I can find the original papers if you want.

https://www.webmd.com/osteoporosis/news/20181004/study-vitamin-d-supplements-dont-build-bone#1

So no need to worry.  Just take some vitamin D which may be still helpful, get some sunshine, stretch as much as you can, and relax without worry.

Good luck!

Amazing, thank you Ghostfish! You definitely put me at ease with this article. Will take your advice and pop a few supplements and hang out in the sun tomorrow!
Pages: [1]   Go Up