Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 33   Go Down

Author Topic: No More Mal-Kahn-Tent - External Tibias - Dr Parihar  (Read 418770 times)

Sweden

Re: No More Mal-Kahn-Tent - External Tibias - Dr Parihar
« Reply #186 on: August 21, 2014, 01:02:03 AM »

Holy   you bastard - MAN do I miss the Domino's pizza from India  together with Red Bull  ;D
Do you need some company? I could go there for the pizza only.....

I tried Domino's in Ukraine but it was awful  :o

It doesn't exist in Sweden. Closest one for me is in Denmark.
I think I'll go there tomorrow. It'll be an expensive pizza though  ;D

----------------

Be careful when moving around. Think about every step you take.
I never fell when I was in India except one time from the chair, slowly, and a little down a stairstep the day I was going home.
I think I was too careful and had a much longer recovery.

I urge the pizza.......
173cm before LL with Sarin, jan -13. Now 180cm tall. Considering 5cm on femurs.

TRS

« Reply #187 on: August 21, 2014, 04:23:58 PM »

Sorry to hear about the fall. The bsthroom is definitely the most hazardous place. You have to be extra extra cautious in the bathroom. I also fell several weeks ago and experienced bad muscle spasm. But falling with external frames is beyond imaginable. OUCH! :o
Btw do you feel that the external frames are becoming part of you or do you feel it being foreign despite the amount of time with it?

Taller

« Reply #188 on: August 21, 2014, 06:45:02 PM »

Btw do you feel that the external frames are becoming part of you or do you feel it being foreign despite the amount of time with it?

This is a great question!

Sweden

« Reply #189 on: August 21, 2014, 07:23:38 PM »

This is a great question!

For me the frames were never an issue at all. They became a part of me from day 1 and it was nothing I ever thought about.

It was just strange seeing my legs when the nurse cut the cast. My thighs were as thin as the femur bone and my shins were a mile long. Barely any muscle power to lift my legs.

I guess I was really prepared after reading about it for 6 years.
Yet I still missed that you have to stand up during lengthening in order to prevent bad ballerina. The physio who came every day should have said something.
I should also have questioned much more about x-legs than I did. Every time I just got the answer: Don't worry, it'll be fine.......

173cm before LL with Sarin, jan -13. Now 180cm tall. Considering 5cm on femurs.

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #190 on: August 24, 2014, 03:56:31 AM »

Holy s**t you bastard - MAN do I miss the Domino's pizza from India  together with Red Bull  ;D
Do you need some company? I could go there for the pizza only.....

I tried Domino's in Ukraine but it was awful  :o

It doesn't exist in Sweden. Closest one for me is in Denmark.
I think I'll go there tomorrow. It'll be an expensive pizza though  ;D

----------------

Be careful when moving around. Think about every step you take.
I never fell when I was in India except one time from the chair, slowly, and a little down a stairstep the day I was going home.
I think I was too careful and had a much longer recovery.

I urge the pizza.......

Yea the Dominos here is pretty good. Did you ever try Pizza Hut while in Delhi? Supposed to be pretty good too. I like it in the States because they stuff the crust with melted cheese.

Getting to the bathroom is difficult because it's a narrow door on top of a step and I have to enter it sideways with one side of the walker on the elevated area so the walker is lopsided until I manage to get both feet through the doorway to pull up the walker. Decided it's too dangerous after that slip so I just scoot into it and pull myself onto the toilet by putting one hand on the rim and another on a chair I brought inside.

Sorry to hear about the fall. The bsthroom is definitely the most hazardous place. You have to be extra extra cautious in the bathroom. I also fell several weeks ago and experienced bad muscle spasm. But falling with external frames is beyond imaginable. OUCH! :o

Falling the way I did (body sliding to the ground first with feet still planted) almost feels like getting your legs pushed down on two sides until the middle gets pulled in half, like snapping a pencil. Everything was left intact though and it surprised me how resilient the frames are. I don't feel the frames most of the time when lying still, but they feel foreign as soon as I have to move my legs from the bed to the floor or have pain by one of the wires, which are a lot more irritating than the pins, btw. I suppose they'll feel more part of me once I've started consolidating.
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

Moubgf

« Reply #191 on: August 30, 2014, 04:10:00 PM »

Yea the Dominos here is pretty good. Did you ever try Pizza Hut while in Delhi? Supposed to be pretty good too. I like it in the States because they stuff the crust with melted cheese.

Getting to the bathroom is difficult because it's a narrow door on top of a step and I have to enter it sideways with one side of the walker on the elevated area so the walker is lopsided until I manage to get both feet through the doorway to pull up the walker. Decided it's too dangerous after that slip so I just scoot into it and pull myself onto the toilet by putting one hand on the rim and another on a chair I brought inside.

Falling the way I did (body sliding to the ground first with feet still planted) almost feels like getting your legs pushed down on two sides until the middle gets pulled in half, like snapping a pencil. Everything was left intact though and it surprised me how resilient the frames are. I don't feel the frames most of the time when lying still, but they feel foreign as soon as I have to move my legs from the bed to the floor or have pain by one of the wires, which are a lot more irritating than the pins, btw. I suppose they'll feel more part of me once I've started consolidating.

from a overview from aaaaalll of this. Would you say that "meh...it's OK...I can do this" ??

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #192 on: August 30, 2014, 06:10:31 PM »

from a overview from aaaaalll of this. Would you say that "meh...it's OK...I can do this" ??

Yep. Some days are worse than others, but it's tolerable most of the time, especially because I've been fortunate enough to not have had any complications thus far.

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #193 on: August 31, 2014, 02:55:43 PM »

Update: 8/31/2014
On the 28th I saw Dr Parihar again after getting another set of x-rays. He was impressed with how good my ankle flexibility is still. I haven't had any signs of getting equinus. Definitely due to a combination of my weight, constantly doing the ankle movement exercises the physiotherapist taught me, standing each day, and always wearing the shoe straps tight. I've distracted 4.5 cm now. I can feel the end of my lengthening coming that much closer. Distraction is starting to get more painful, but I was told to expect that to happen at this point. I've been taking Ultracet which has tramadol in it and it's helped reduce the pain considerably. As far as complications go, I only had some inflammation on one of the pin sites. Dr Parihar said it's too early to tell if it it infection, but he gave me antibiotics to take just in case. When I got back to the hotel from the hospital I had a lot of pain just below the knee on my right tibia and it was too painful to use my walker to go all the way to my room again so I had my wheelchair brought down to me and rode it up the elevator. Even back in bed I was in a ton of pain and resorted to taking an Ultracet combined with an NSAID. That did the trick and I was able to sleep fine. After some stretching the morning after the pain in that area went down to negligible.

Ganesh Chaturthi has started, the Hindu festival for the elephant god Ganesh. It lasts for ten days and you can hear all the music and festivities for miles around. Unfortunately there's a massive tent set up directly outside my window and I can hear the singing and drumming much louder than I would have liked when the music starts up. Fortunately it starts and stops at different times of the day and isn't constant.

About an hour ago I wheeled out to the lobby for a bit just to get a change of scenery and saw a bunch of young locals go through the large double doors at the other end of the lobby. The hotel set up a nightclub in that area and currently a lot of people are dancing the night away to Indian dance/electronica music. Looked like a lot of fun, but I looked at my frames and decided to wheel back into my room. It will be a while before I can dance again.

I'll post my most recent x-rays once Dr Parihar sends them to me. I forgot to ask for them to be sent to my e-mail at my last appointment.

GeTs

« Reply #194 on: August 31, 2014, 03:35:36 PM »

The pain is less than in the beggining?

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #195 on: August 31, 2014, 03:49:30 PM »

The pain is less than in the beggining?

No. At this point the distraction is starting to hurt more after every time I turn. I was told it will get harder after I hit the 4 cm mark and it's proven true in my case.

Edit: The beginning few days after surgery were much more painful in general for sure. But in terms of the actual distraction, it hurts more now than when I first started turning.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #196 on: August 31, 2014, 03:54:06 PM »

Are you stopping at 5cm or going for more?

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #197 on: August 31, 2014, 03:58:06 PM »

Are you stopping at 5cm or going for more?

I think I'm going to go for 6 cm.

GeTs

« Reply #198 on: August 31, 2014, 06:21:47 PM »

No. At this point the distraction is starting to hurt more after every time I turn. I was told it will get harder after I hit the 4 cm mark and it's proven true in my case.

Edit: The beginning few days after surgery were much more painful in general for sure. But in terms of the actual distraction, it hurts more now than when I first started turning.
you think 4 cm just For Your case? So For someone taller that would be 5 cm and so on and so forth, where you elastic before this?

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #199 on: August 31, 2014, 07:06:02 PM »

you think 4 cm just For Your case? So For someone taller that would be 5 cm and so on and so forth, where you elastic before this?

Well the first doctor I consulted with said that once 4 cm is hit distraction will be more painful. He was speaking generally about it so I think it might be something that would hold true for a lot of people of varying heights. Not sure though.

Despite stretching a whole lot before arriving here, I wasn't elastic at all. One of the physiotherapists even had to do a quite painful fascia release with some massage technique because she said that the physios noticed I had particularly tight fascia. Perhaps it has to do with all the leg exercises I did to bulk them up.

Taller

« Reply #200 on: August 31, 2014, 07:16:24 PM »

Your goal of 6CM seems very reasonable, and you will definitely notice the height increase. Do you notice it already?

Also, a pretty random question, how tall is Dr. Parihar? Does he have an upper height limit on who he will consider for LL?

You seem to be bearing weight with crutches before consolidation, but, by most accounts, I hear that Dr. Parihar isn't a big fan of this. How and why did he let you bear weight so early? Also, why did you opt not to use the hexapod TSF-equivalent fixator?

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #201 on: August 31, 2014, 07:54:03 PM »

Your goal of 6CM seems very reasonable, and you will definitely notice the height increase. Do you notice it already?

Also, a pretty random question, how tall is Dr. Parihar? Does he have an upper height limit on who he will consider for LL?

You seem to be bearing weight with crutches before consolidation, but, by most accounts, I hear that Dr. Parihar isn't a big fan of this. How and why did he let you bear weight so early? Also, why did you opt not to use the hexapod TSF-equivalent fixator?

I haven't really stood next to anyone to compare where I was before so I haven't noticed anything yet. Haven't really been paying attention to the current gains either. Just been focused on reaching the end.

I think Dr Parihar is 6'2 judging from the height difference between himself and Dr Divya who's 5'11. He doesn't set any height restrictions on who he will accept for cosmetic lengthening. He just said he's very wary about taking cosmetic cases, so he'll probably want to have a sense that the person knows what he's getting himself into and is very dedicated. He's pretty strict about the 6 cm safety limit though so if someone tells him they want to go for 7 - 10 cm on tibias he might not accept the person as a patient.

It's true that Dr Parihar isn't a fan of weight bearing during distraction, but it doesn't mean he'll forbid you from doing it. Him not being a fan just means that he's not going to insist that you get up and start walking around a few days after surgery and going through the pain to do so like many other doctors do. Walking is only necessary for bed to toilet transfers in his view. He's cool with you standing for long periods with walker in hand though. And if you can tolerate the weight bearing and feel like walking with the walker then he's not going to make you stop. On the other hand, he really emphasizes the importance of doing daily phsyiotherapy and stretches and wants you to go through them multiple times a day so you don't spend double the time later on trying to regain that lost muscle strength and ROM.

He only uses the hexapod once distraction is completed and a full length standing x-ray is taken. If he sees any misalignment then he'll replace the rods on the frame with hexapod struts and make the correction while the bone is still malleable.

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #202 on: September 02, 2014, 07:40:35 PM »

Latest x-rays.

GeTs

« Reply #203 on: September 02, 2014, 07:43:59 PM »

Latest x-rays.

omg, I think u might get bowed leg/legs, I just hope not, but ask your doctor, I just assume it cause of your weight, amount of lengthening u will do

crimsontide

« Reply #204 on: September 02, 2014, 10:03:42 PM »

why bow legs??? I can not read x rays, so i'm clueless about this...

« Reply #205 on: September 02, 2014, 11:19:59 PM »

Bone healing looks kinda bad. Walk more!

BilateralDamage

« Reply #206 on: September 02, 2014, 11:32:35 PM »

Actually his consolidation looks great.  Only thing I'm worried about is that his right leg looks a little misaligned.

Overdozer

« Reply #207 on: September 02, 2014, 11:43:48 PM »

What's this? (second pic from the left). Looks scary. And I'm not an expert, but it looks like it may consolidate too soon? On the left side
Pre-surgery - 167 cm, Post-surgery - 181 cm
Final arm span - 177 cm, Sitting height - 90 cm

Lengthened 7.5 cm in tibias and femurs and 3.5 cm in each humerus. Surgeries performed all external by Dr. Kulesh, in Saint-Petersburg, Russia - http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=1671.0

GeTs

« Reply #208 on: September 02, 2014, 11:44:55 PM »

His doctor probably knows more than us since he emailed him the x rays ;)

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #209 on: September 03, 2014, 12:23:43 AM »

omg, I think u might get bowed leg/legs, I just hope not, but ask your doctor, I just assume it cause of your weight, amount of lengthening u will do

I don't think there's a risk for getting bow legged. The bones look a bit curved but comparing them to my first x-ray before surgery it looks like my tibias had a nature curvature about them.

Actually his consolidation looks great.  Only thing I'm worried about is that his right leg looks a little misaligned.

Dr Parihar said some misalignment could happen due to not putting any pins in the middle to prevent the long scars, and that would result in the bones moving a bit. He's planning to use the hexapod once I've stopped lengthening to correct any misalignment present.

What's this? (second pic from the left). Looks scary. And I'm not an expert, but it looks like it may consolidate too soon? On the left side

I asked him about that too. Apparently my bones were too solid for the clean cut and they shattered during the surgery. He doesn't think it will consolidate too soon at the current .75 mm per day rate.   

Moubgf

« Reply #210 on: September 03, 2014, 01:19:52 AM »

i think the surgery itself fixes bow legness

srimech123

• Hi, nice to meet you!
« Reply #211 on: September 03, 2014, 05:51:13 PM »

Interesting read so far :)

However I have a few questions:
- Is it possible to do internal femurs in India?
- How tall do you aim to be at the end of your surgery?

And a final question:
- How tall is Dr Parihar, would you say?  From reading all this, he must be at least 6'3" (very tall for India)
173cm (5'8") tall at the moment, hoping to be at least 180cm (5'11") tall quite soon (or 6'1" at most).   Saving money for my first LL surgery!

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #212 on: September 03, 2014, 06:26:36 PM »

Interesting read so far :)

However I have a few questions:
- Is it possible to do internal femurs in India?
- How tall do you aim to be at the end of your surgery?

And a final question:
- How tall is Dr Parihar, would you say?  From reading all this, he must be at least 6'3" (very tall for India)

1) Precice 2 is approved for use in India currently. If you tell your surgeon you want internal femurs then he would contact Ellipse and then after you pay Ellipse the cost of the nails they will be shipped from the UK to the doctor.

2) 5'7

3) From the height difference between himself and Dr Divya, who's 5'11, I would guess he's 6'2 or slightly taller. Here's a picture with both doctors in it. You'll notice Dr Parihar is standing next to Dr Solomin, who was recently added to the doctor directory.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 06:46:19 PM by KiloKAHN »

Taller

« Reply #213 on: September 03, 2014, 08:50:04 PM »

Great picture. It's fantastic to put faces to names. What was Dr. Solomon doing in India?

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #214 on: September 03, 2014, 09:25:59 PM »

He was one of the instructors at an Ortho-SUV frame course.

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #215 on: September 07, 2014, 04:18:58 PM »

Here's a sample of the food I've been eating at Hotel Maharana. The hotel has its own restaurant but it's vegetarian, so anything on the menu that has meat in it is brought from Hotel Sai Darshan across the street. Everything tastes pretty good and I've become quite partial to the butter naan and mutton masala combo (first pic).

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #216 on: September 10, 2014, 06:51:58 AM »

Just turned to 5.5 cm today. I have my next appointment with Dr Parihar tomorrow. Hopefully the actual amount lengthened is close to the amount turned. If it is, I think I'll just need to turn .75 until the following Tuesday or Thursday and then my lengthening phase will be over. Next step after that is adding the extra pins to the middle of each leg and converting the frame into a hexapod fixator to fix any misalignment.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 33   Go Up