Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Precise 2.2 Femur (March 2023) Journal  (Read 4991 times)

TripleD1996

• Visitor
Re: Precise 2.2 Femur (March 2023) Journal
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2023, 12:56:02 AM »

Glad the pain is going down.

I’m considering Dr. D as well. Mainly because of the accelerated weight bearing procedure he does. Are you considering doing that? Also, has he discussed how fast it speeds up recovery/walking etc?

ballsackoffury123

« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2023, 03:50:58 AM »

Glad the pain is going down.

I’m considering Dr. D as well. Mainly because of the accelerated weight bearing procedure he does. Are you considering doing that? Also, has he discussed how fast it speeds up recovery/walking etc?

Nah the majority of his patients doesn't even do it to the point where he doesn't even waste his energy advertising it much. I think the pros don't outweigh the cons for that.

pros
- You get to weight bear like 2 months faster (at around 3 months relative to 5 months)
- You prob get back walking normally 1-2 months faster

cons
- Another surgery
- like almost another $20k i think? I forgot the price
- Weight bearing actually slows down bone formation with more non-union. I dont think this is a huge concern, since it'll eventually form. But nails like stryde has a much higher non-union (delayed union) case vs partial weight bearing nails like precise 2.2.

TripleD1996

• Visitor
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2023, 01:19:37 PM »

Yeah I didn’t know it’d be another 20k. That’s gonna be a no go from me. Good to know most of his patients opt not to do it. I want to get back to walking normally as quickly as possible but those cons don’t seem to outweigh the pros.

ballsackoffury123

« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2023, 10:37:00 PM »

Yeah but overall I had a great experience with him. If you are still considering him even without the accelerated weight bearing program, feel free to ask me any questions. I know he has a cash discount that isn't listed online. Basically you get a few thousand dollars off if you pay in physical cash, which I thought was worth it.

TripleD1996

• Visitor
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2023, 12:54:02 AM »

Yeah my main concerns are the ease of physical therapy and where I’m staying for lengthening. I’ve been looking at Dr. Assayag because he has the hackerman patz house which is $15 a day and has all your food, physical therapy, etc. in one place. If I went with Dr. D, I’m not sure how I’d like going home after a few weeks but having to return every 2 weeks for X-Rays (flying from Dallas).

But staying in Vegas sounds pretty expensive and you’d have to travel a lot more for physical therapy.

What are your thoughts on this? What were the main reasons you chose Dr. D besides the discount and did you consult any other docs?

ballsackoffury123

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2023, 08:34:07 AM »

Nah I didn’t consult any other docs. And I’m sure assyga is good too I hear good things about him. My main reason is because I’m from SF and I work PST. Being in east coast just makes it harder. For Dr D. You’re only required to stay 2 weeks lost surgery. Then you can fly back home and do the x rays locally. He has set instructions for the people taking the x rays, I think it’s on avg $100 without insurance if you do it locally. Then on average once a month you have to fly back to do check ups.  I’m currently staying in a 3 bed room airbnb for $2k a month around the area. My parents are going to fly down the last few days and I’m gonna drive back to the bay with them. But I went through this alone so far and it’s bearable. But yeah, dr paley, assagya, dr d, and dr m in LA should all be safe choices for US doctors. Also I know dr d does a special suture to make scars less visible, maybe other doctors does it as well.

ballsackoffury123

« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2023, 12:02:38 AM »

Day 15

Just hit the 2 week mark so figured I give a quick update. Got my x-rays yesterday and everything looks good, I'm a little over 1 cm now in height. Mornings are rough, but it gets better throughout the day. I still take pain meds every now and then, though the doctor said the goal for the next 2 weeks is to dwindle off of those. I use my wheelchair a good amount in the house, but the goal is also to start using the walker more than my wheelchair.
I'm going to try to go for my first drive later and hit a drive through. Doctor cleared me to drive as long as I'm not high from the narco.
One small complication is that I just realized I have a small patch of loss of sensation on the inner part of my lower calves around the ankle. It is not a full loss of sensation, but a reduction of it. Doctor said it is unlikely from lengthening, so likely from the surgery. But I did research and it is normal in surgeries, and it can take weeks to months to go back to normal. Even if it stays the way it is, it's honestly in a spot where it probably doesnt matter much, I mean i didnt even realize it until 2 weeks after when I took a full body shower and was scrubbing myself. If this is the only nerve complication, I'm totally fine. But ideally I get back the full sensation in a few weeks-months.

Movie

« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2023, 06:17:37 AM »

keep it up man the first 3 weeks were t he hardest for me, everything else started getting easier from there.
Starting height: 167cm Now 175cm With Strydes Femurs with Dr. Mahboubian 09/01/2019
Nails removed 10/06/2021
My Video Logged Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64224.0

ballsackoffury123

« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2023, 07:59:28 AM »

keep it up man the first 3 weeks were t he hardest for me, everything else started getting easier from there.

Thanks brotha, I'm looking forward to that 3 week mark. Everyone says its a complete 360 after 2 weeks but tbh Aside from the first 5-6 days being terrible, I've been feeling mediocre since. It's not great, but it's not bad. Knee pain here and there. I dont NEED pain meds, but it does make me feel less discomfort. Hopefully one more week before I truly feel better. Sleep is definitely the worst tho, still been waking up in the middle of the night multiple times so far.

Kanye Western

« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2023, 09:17:14 AM »

Hey Movie, how have you been? How’s life been any updates?

ballsackoffury123

« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2023, 07:43:40 PM »

Day 20 (16 mm)
Just wanted to provide some updates. It's not all sunshine and rainbows. But also nothing out of the ordinary. I've heard from most patients I get a honeymoon phase around the 3 week mark for about 1 month before the lengthening gets hard. I've yet to reach that honeymoon phase but I think I'm getting close.

A few complications
1) right fingers are constantly numb, from using the walker. Apparently this is pretty common, and it'll go away in the future as I stop putting so much weight on my hands. It's most numb in the mornings and after using the walker, and it settles down a bit. I padded up my walker and used gloves but that hasn't solved the problem. I think I really have to wait it out for a few months until I'm off the walker. But this isn't particularly bothersome
2) Right outer hamstring is super tight. I originally thought it was my IT band (even though I got it released), but the doctor said it's my hamstrings. It's like a small part on the outer knee near my IT band which was why I thought it was my IT band to begin with. But to be fair, I haven't really started stretching yet. I just started it, and it seems to be getting a bit better. It's only tight when I stand completely straight or lie down completely straight.
3) Right inner shin has a reduced sensation. Talked to multiple of my doctor friends, apparently this isn't uncommon after a major surgery like breaking the femurs. But it'll usually go back within a few months. Nerve sensation can just take a long time to regain, but nothing to worry about. Honestly, I don't even notice it unless I'm showering and scrubbing there specifically.
4) My right butt where I think the reamed the nails has a really tight patch of muscle I think. It's been like this for 1-2 weeks. Basically if I angle my legs in a weird position I feel a sharp sharp cramp there. It probably happens 10 times a day (usually when I'm stretching). But I'm slowly stretching it out and using a massage gun to try to break up whatever tissue is causing that and we'll see how it goes.

Aside from that, it isn't too bad. I've been driving so I can save money on Ubers. Walking isn't too exhausting though I should probably do it more. I'm looking to go home to the bay area in a week, pretty excited to get out of Vegas. I rarely use pain meds now, probably on average 1 - 1.5 Percocet a day. The max I can have is 4. And I really dont even need it. I just use to prior to PT so I can go harder. And sometimes when I'm just annoyed of feeling sore in my legs I'll use it. The soreness is bearable but it can get annoying when its there 24/7.

ballsackoffury123

« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2023, 08:26:24 AM »

Day 26 (I think around 23mm? Forgot)
I take on average 10mg of Percocet a day. Split into 2. Valium sometimes though it doesn’t help. I stretch a lot, maybe on average 2 hours a day. (Before and after lengthening for 10 mins each, and then a single 1 hour session). A lot of “complications” I’ve had resolves in a week, new ones appears and disappears me I think I’ll reach 5cm, not with ease but it won’t be like omg I can’t take this anymore I want to quit. Like I’m already tight. But I continue to stretch.
I go back to the Bay Area tomorrow, not looking forward to the 9 hour drive but excited to be back home. Will probably update when I hit 5cm or if anything crazy happens.

I don’t think I’ll do PT back in the bay. Price is just not worth it, I’m looking at $100 per a 30 min session with PT that doesn’t deal with limb lengthened. I bought all the equipments and a massage table for less than $250 total. I’ll force myself and push myself to do my own PT 5 days a week for 2 hours a day. I have online guides from famous limb lengthening PTs like Mosche and Mike the PT. I  am a young guy that works out, I think I can push myself to stretch even if it hurts. I’ll update on how it goes.

I have HDHP that’s why my insurance cost so much for PT. But also I grt $3k on my HSA debit card from my company so I think it’s worth it still. I used all my HSA on my hospital bill which was $10k

Yau

« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2023, 11:35:02 AM »

Keep going!💪
Looking forward your update posts!

ballsackoffury123

« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2023, 06:50:50 AM »

Day 29? 25mm
Updating here because I just hit 1 inch so why the hell not. Everything's been good. Being back at home is nice for social aspects, just being able to talk to family. Mornings still suck. I stretch whenever I have downtime and PT doesn't seem necessary YET. All the old complications went away.
When I thought my IT band was tight, it was prob just my hamstring near there being stretched too far and recovering so it was sore and painful, took 4-5 days of rest and it was gone. Cramps on my left butt went away suddenly one day, as the doctor said. He thought it was just the screw irritating the muscle and it'll just take a bit for it to heal up.
I'm "tight", like I can feel my hamstrings tight when I lie down 180 degree, but nothing unbearable. 55mm to go, so let's kick this journey in its ass.

lessthanavg8300

« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2023, 02:01:57 PM »

Day 29? 25mm
Updating here because I just hit 1 inch so why the hell not. Everything's been good. Being back at home is nice for social aspects, just being able to talk to family. Mornings still suck. I stretch whenever I have downtime and PT doesn't seem necessary YET. All the old complications went away.
When I thought my IT band was tight, it was prob just my hamstring near there being stretched too far and recovering so it was sore and painful, took 4-5 days of rest and it was gone. Cramps on my left butt went away suddenly one day, as the doctor said. He thought it was just the screw irritating the muscle and it'll just take a bit for it to heal up.
I'm "tight", like I can feel my hamstrings tight when I lie down 180 degree, but nothing unbearable. 55mm to go, so let's kick this journey in its ass.

Nice man.  Things are going to probably get their hardest now that you're crossing 1 inch.  Id go turbo with the stretching.  Good luck.
Gained 3.2CM on femurs for a final height of 5'8.5-5'8.75.

ballsackoffury123

« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2023, 07:32:01 AM »

Nice man.  Things are going to probably get their hardest now that you're crossing 1 inch.  Id go turbo with the stretching.  Good luck.

ugh ur scaring me. I know 50mm will be interesting because i hear it so much that that will be a huge tightness change. But everytime I look.. im still so early on and it's already NOT easy. I really hope this next 7 weeks flashes by and I can hop into consolidation

Yau

« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2023, 12:09:59 AM »

How about your legs tight, soreness, stiffness now? Did old complications go away and new complications appear? Do u get PT near your home or only stretch by yourself?

ballsackoffury123

« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2023, 02:26:12 AM »

How about your legs tight, soreness, stiffness now? Did old complications go away and new complications appear? Do u get PT near your home or only stretch by yourself?

Most of the old complications went away. Main one right now is saphenous nerve pain affecting my right ankle and calf. Doctor just prescribed me gabapentin so I'll see how that works. I think this will be a "complication" that wont go away until I start consolidating though. And these aren't even complications, they're normal symptoms of the surgery. Guys I talked to went through the same issue, said they regained 95% of the nerve sensation 20 days after consolidating and are continuing to see improvements.

I can feel the tightness but nothing too bad yet at 30mm. Everything is still bearable. Stiffness and soreness only in the morning, it gets better once I get out of bed and start my day. No PT since 3 weeks post surgery. I do strengthening exercises and stretching at home on my massage table and have all the equipments and bands at hand which I use. I do about 3 hours of combined stretching/strengthening 6 days a week. PT in the bay area is $150 for a 30 min session, not worth it.

TripleD1996

• Visitor
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2023, 02:53:37 AM »

Saw your interview on cyborg4life dude. Thanks for hopping on there.

Now that you’re home, do you think this whole process is probably done better at home vs staying (Dr paley, Assayag) who require you to stay in their respective city during the entire lengthening?

Also you think it’s easy to just do all the pt yourself? How’s your mobility on the walker/in general? As in, has your ability to perform simple day to day tasks been fine on your own?

Yau

« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2023, 04:16:55 AM »

Wow! Where is the link?

ballsackoffury123

« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2023, 04:30:40 AM »

Now that you’re home, do you think this whole process is probably done better at home vs staying (Dr paley, Assayag) who require you to stay in their respective city during the entire lengthening?

Also you think it’s easy to just do all the pt yourself? How’s your mobility on the walker/in general? As in, has your ability to perform simple day to day tasks been fine on your own?

100% lol. I mean what do you get staying over there you cant get staying at home? You go to a local xray clinic to get the SAME x-rays (doctor will provide xray orders) for only $20. Online video check-up once a month good, or if you really want, just fly back to see them in person. Airports all have free wheelchair services. I mean even the flights are cheaper than the hotel stays. But I feel like if you're in good shape, nothing is crazy bothering you, a video checkup to ask questions is good enough. I mean you also have contact with the doctors 24/7. Just today I asked him about my nerve pain, and he prescribed me medicine for that right away, and I got it from my local CVS for $10. All they do in person is talk to you for 30 mins to see how everything is going anyways. If they need to check flexibility just show them how far your legs can stretch on video. Idk, I think sometimes the doctors are overly conservative, which isnt bad, but also, you got a life to live lol. And saving money, living comfortably at home, is a big part of it

TripleD1996

• Visitor
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2023, 10:02:14 PM »

Oh you don’t have to fly back every month for the checkup?? That’s a game changer. Other patients I’ve seen with Dr D. Flew back once a month and sometimes more than that. That would be so much better doing x-rays at home and zoom checkups.

You might’ve already answered this but you’re just stretching on your own without pt correct? I know PT is super important but I guess if you’re able to follow a set stretching and exercise routine, you probably wouldn’t need a clinic for that either.

ballsackoffury123

« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2023, 02:31:49 AM »

Oh you don’t have to fly back every month for the checkup?? That’s a game changer. Other patients I’ve seen with Dr D. Flew back once a month and sometimes more than that. That would be so much better doing x-rays at home and zoom checkups.

You might’ve already answered this but you’re just stretching on your own without pt correct? I know PT is super important but I guess if you’re able to follow a set stretching and exercise routine, you probably wouldn’t need a clinic for that either.

Yeah I heard I can do zoom checkups and other patients have before as long as nothing significant is happening. I mean honestly what do you think goes on in person anyways, they just ask you questions and you answer. They have you straighten your legs to see how far it goes, and thats pretty much it lol.

No PT right now, and no tightness issue that I feel like will require it so far at 30mm in. I have nerve pains, but I just got prescribed meds for that. But that's not something that is happening because of the lack of PT, nor will PT be able to help it. It will just heal with I stop lengthening. There is nothing in a PT clinic I cant do at home with the equipments I have. As long as I am accountable, I dont see why I cant do it at home and avoid the fees and drive. There is plenty of info on limb lengthening stretches and strengthening exercises on YouTube I can follow

ballsackoffury123

« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2023, 06:46:49 PM »

Day 35 (~31mm)
Posting because some more annoying complications have arrived within these last 3 days. Saphenous nerve continues to be a huge issue, burning and needle sensation on inner shin as I straighten my legs, most notable when I do stretches or when I sleep. Sleeping is obvious the big issue here, I've had no sleep issues until these past 3 days. Doctor has me on gabapentin 300mg already which I take 3x a day. But from my research it can take 1-2 weeks to start taking affect. I'll continue taking and see if improvements are good and update. Note this is on my right leg only, I feel like my left leg may have early symptoms, but nothing obvious enough to worth noting.
The worst part is I'm only 31mm in, like I'm not even halfway which is mentally painful. If this happens at 60mm then fine, I think it's normal. But man I'm so early in and this is a pretty brutal complication. I know it'll heal in consolidation but going through 50-80 more days of this? I personally slowed down to 0.75 the past 3 days. I just let my doctor know and asked for his approval for slowing down until this issues settles and the meds kicks in. I just looked up some saphenous nerve flossing exercises on youtube, going to add those in my daily stretches.

xryamf

• Visitor
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2023, 09:45:48 PM »

Yeah but overall I had a great experience with him. If you are still considering him even without the accelerated weight bearing program, feel free to ask me any questions. I know he has a cash discount that isn't listed online. Basically you get a few thousand dollars off if you pay in physical cash, which I thought was worth it.

Thanks for all the info and insight. And if that offer is still open, I'll def msg more specific questions. I've done my consult already, just been putting off finalizing procedure and date cuz I've been picking up more work assignments just to have a wider financial cushion. Cash isn't a problem but good to know about the straight cash discount cuz I was actually planning on asking if I can make multiple credit card payments to earn rewards (points, cash back, etc.). But that sounds like a better deal when you consider costs for housing, etc.

ballsackoffury123

« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2023, 11:19:05 PM »

Thanks for all the info and insight. And if that offer is still open, I'll def msg more specific questions. I've done my consult already, just been putting off finalizing procedure and date cuz I've been picking up more work assignments just to have a wider financial cushion. Cash isn't a problem but good to know about the straight cash discount cuz I was actually planning on asking if I can make multiple credit card payments to earn rewards (points, cash back, etc.). But that sounds like a better deal when you consider costs for housing, etc.

I think it still is. I just chatted with a guy that said he was offered it. Dr. D overall prob the cheapest (and he's still literally a top surgeon despite his rep on here). I mean just google him. Housing 1 month was $2k for me. Then $60k cash to their office, and $10k to the hospital (HSA/credit card eligible).

ballsackoffury123

« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2023, 11:23:32 PM »

Also to update, I just spoke to the doctor's office. Looks like he wants me to try a 2 day break from lengthening and start back up at 0.75mm after to see if it helps the nerve issue. Again, great doctor, great communication with the team at Limbplastx.

xryamf

• Visitor
« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2023, 11:36:11 PM »

I think it still is. I just chatted with a guy that said he was offered it. Dr. D overall prob the cheapest (and he's still literally a top surgeon despite his rep on here). I mean just google him. Housing 1 month was $2k for me. Then $60k cash to their office, and $10k to the hospital (HSA/credit card eligible).

Thanks. I sent you a DM earlier. I've already done my consult with Dr. D, I've kept in touch with his clinical coordinator, I've even visited their clinic site when I was on assignment in Vegas. I've been putting it off cuz work assignments have still been too good to pass up and I wanted to keep making a wider financial cushion since I'll be off work & no PTO during this time. Plus Dr. D's recent IG update on a weight-bearing nail's possible return late 2023/early 2024 might be worth it (yeah, I've also seen the Paley update). But given the current slow season of my work, I'm thinking if I may need to adjust my schedule.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2023, 12:28:29 AM by xryamf »

ballsackoffury123

« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2023, 11:40:50 PM »

Thanks. I sent you a DM earlier. I've already done my consult with Dr. D, I've kept in touch with his clinical coordinator, I've even visited their clinic site when I was on assignment in Vegas. I've been putting it off cuz work assignments have still been too good to pass up and I wanted to keep making a wider financial cushion since I'll be off work & no PTO during this time. Plus Dr. D's recent IG update on a weight-bearing nail's possible return late 2023/early 2024 might be worth it (yeah, I've also seen the Paley update). But given the current slow season of my work, I'm thinking if I may need to adjust my schedule.

I wouldn't place your bets on the weight-bearing nails returning with an estimated date. They've been saying things will come back 12 months out for the last 3 years, and it's not up to the doctors, it's up to a company where they probably put very little priority on these nails since they are a tiny percentage of their overall revenue.
The Precise 2.2 is totally fine if you dont weight more than 170 pounds. You're walking every day (with a walker) and you're prob not gonna break your nails. I've had all my weight on single legs on accident before for a second and nothing bends.  I wouldn't recommend it, but it just proves that the nails are a lot stronger than advertised.

xryamf

• Visitor
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2023, 11:49:22 PM »

I wouldn't place your bets on the weight-bearing nails returning with an estimated date. They've been saying things will come back 12 months out for the last 3 years, and it's not up to the doctors, it's up to a company where they probably put very little priority on these nails since they are a tiny percentage of their overall revenue.
The Precise 2.2 is totally fine if you dont weight more than 170 pounds. You're walking every day (with a walker) and you're prob not gonna break your nails. I've had all my weight on single legs on accident before for a second and nothing bends.  I wouldn't recommend it, but it just proves that the nails are a lot stronger than advertised.

Yeah, its looking more and more like weight-bearing nail return won't be a factor. I'm aware of their AWP (accelerated weight-bearing plan) and I've been following other patient updates about it cuz I'd rather be weight-bearing sooner for recovery & work purposes. But yeah if I can reach you more on DM, I'd appreciate it.

Yau

« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2023, 11:59:03 PM »

Day 35 (~31mm)
Posting because some more annoying complications have arrived within these last 3 days. Saphenous nerve continues to be a huge issue, burning and needle sensation on inner shin as I straighten my legs, most notable when I do stretches or when I sleep. Sleeping is obvious the big issue here, I've had no sleep issues until these past 3 days. Doctor has me on gabapentin 300mg already which I take 3x a day. But from my research it can take 1-2 weeks to start taking affect. I'll continue taking and see if improvements are good and update. Note this is on my right leg only, I feel like my left leg may have early symptoms, but nothing obvious enough to worth noting.
The worst part is I'm only 31mm in, like I'm not even halfway which is mentally painful. If this happens at 60mm then fine, I think it's normal. But man I'm so early in and this is a pretty brutal complication. I know it'll heal in consolidation but going through 50-80 more days of this? I personally slowed down to 0.75 the past 3 days. I just let my doctor know and asked for his approval for slowing down until this issues settles and the meds kicks in. I just looked up some saphenous nerve flossing exercises on youtube, going to add those in my daily stretches.

Hope everything goes well after u stop lengthening 2 days. Did u do stretch exercise too much before or walk with walker too long time?
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up